PDA

View Full Version : Can we put the trade rumors to rest now?

bluestar
07-18-2005, 11:47 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1135936&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

"You never say never," Williams said. "But I think what can be categorized as a major deal, I personally don't see that on our radar screen right now. It's pretty evident it would cost us something that I don't think [is] very prudent."

LuvSox
07-18-2005, 11:48 PM
We don't need no stinking trades!

rowand33
07-18-2005, 11:49 PM
We don't need no stinking trades!

I think El Duque made a different argument today.

soltrain21
07-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Does anyone remember a certain spring training slogan called "Under the radar."

Not saying something IS going to happen..but don't count out Kenny because he says to.

LuvSox
07-18-2005, 11:52 PM

First game in the bigs in over a month, only gave up 4 runs, could've been much worse.

Unregistered
07-18-2005, 11:54 PM
First game in the bigs in over a month, only gave up 4 runs, could've been much worse.
And he wasn't exactly getting shelled out there either.

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 11:56 PM

He pitched like your 5th starter is supposed to. He kept us in the game. :?:

DickAllen72
07-18-2005, 11:57 PM
McCarthy, Anderson & Shingo for The Rocket. That is all.

JermaineDye05
07-18-2005, 11:58 PM
another positive for el duque, a lot of close pitches he wasn't getting called strikes, all and all i think he pitched pretty well

Banix12
07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1135936&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

"You never say never," Williams said. "But I think what can be categorized as a major deal, I personally don't see that on our radar screen right now. It's pretty evident it would cost us something that I don't think [is] very prudent."

You can't trust anything a GM says during this time of year. You never really know if there is some ulterior motive to their statements.

I don't see anything happening or anything that really has to happen, though I never rule it out.

LuvSox
07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
another positive for el duque, a lot of close pitches he wasn't getting called strikes, all and all i think he pitched pretty well

Good point, home plate ump had cataracts tonight

DickAllen72
07-19-2005, 12:06 AM
El Duque pitched pretty well tonight. He kept us in the game and will probably only get better as the season goes on.

I'm glad to see him back!

rowand33
07-19-2005, 12:07 AM
everything you guys are saying are correct.

but if his ERA is where it is now (4.98) at the end of the month, I'm gonna be upset if KW doesn't bring somebody in.

I still have faith in him though. And it is hard to complain about a game that we won and a pitcher with a 7-2 record.

but I'd prefer to see that ERA in the low fours.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I still KW may go out and add another small piece to add further depth. But, he has made it clear on several occaisions that he is not going to make a move just to make one. Judging from what was able and gone and what is still supposedly available, nothing really makes much sense for this team. I would think KW wants to add more pitching before anything else, but as far as the bigger names are concerned you have only Burnett and Schmidt with each team asking too much, and maybe a couple guys from LA, who will also probably be too expensive. Additionally, all over the bigger name SP's available are risks, and may not even be as good as our weakest links in Contreras and Hernandez.

JB98
07-19-2005, 01:46 AM
everything you guys are saying are correct.

but if his ERA is where it is now (4.98) at the end of the month, I'm gonna be upset if KW doesn't bring somebody in.

I still have faith in him though. And it is hard to complain about a game that we won and a pitcher with a 7-2 record.

but I'd prefer to see that ERA in the low fours.

Most of that high ERA is the result of his getting rocked while trying to pitch with a sore shoulder. I'm not worried about Duque's ERA at all. I am worried about his health. I was satisfied with the performance tonight. Four runs in six innings is acceptable considering it was his first outing in awhile. The question is how that shoulder will respond. If he's healthy, he'll give us good innings.

Instead of bitching about the Cubans, we should be counting our blessings. At least we aren't trotting out dopes like Tim Redding and Darrell May like the Yankees are. There are a lot of teams, including several that are contending, with weaker links in their rotations than we have.

Madvora
07-19-2005, 08:23 AM

I think KW said the same thing before they landed Garcia last year. We all know better than to listen to what he says.
In this quote, he's talking about the costs being too high. I think he'll work some alternatives out and strengthen this team.

Bucky F. Dent
07-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Another starter or a left-handed bat would be nice, but I'm not willing to blow up the farm system to get it. Also, in terms of starters, I don't see anyone available that I'm thrilled about: Clements is older than I am; A.J. Burnette is damaged goods, and Kip Wells is well....Kip Wells.

downstairs
07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I can't see any big moves *to* make. Who is out there?

Schmidt? Burnett? No. SF wants an entirely new franchise for Schmidt. Burnett is Kerry Wood, except more hurt and less good.

Clemens is the only guy who is a sliver of a possibility that would make sense... but Houston is still in it! Its not going to happen!

Madvora
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Another starter or a left-handed bat would be nice, but I'm not willing to blow up the farm system to get it. Also, in terms of starters, I don't see anyone available that I'm thrilled about: Clements is older than I am; A.J. Burnette is damaged goods, and Kip Wells is well....Kip Wells.
The left handed bat is Ross Gload. He'll be up as soon as the deadline passes and we know what the team will look like.

downstairs
07-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Assuming that being out of the Wild Card by less than 8 games at this point means a team probably thinks they're in it still (read: Houston Astros, 2004)... here are a list of teams who are out of contention:

Seattle
Kansas City
Tampa Bay
LA Dodgers
Pittsburgh
San Francisco
Cincinnati
Colorado

And the list of big names on these teams:

(Insert cricket chirps here)

BNLSox
07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Assuming that being out of the Wild Card by less than 8 games at this point means a team probably thinks they're in it still (read: Houston Astros, 2004)... here are a list of teams who are out of contention:

Seattle
Kansas City
Tampa Bay
LA Dodgers
Pittsburgh
San Francisco
Cincinnati
Colorado

And the list of big names on these teams:

(Insert cricket chirps here)

Well done!

LA does have a few pitchers to offer, but I think I too am starting to believe that we should go forth with what we have unless a SUPERIOR player for the right price becomes available.

The wheels could fall off at any time, but this team has responded to failure well everytime and really embodies a 'Win or die trying' attitude. So Wagner and the Rocket remain on my short list. Otherwise, we may already be our team for October.

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Bluestar, I had the same initial reaction as you did but when I thought about it this quote actually made me think he's MORE likely to make a trade than before.

He said the exact same thing right before they traded for Garcia last year, again the exact same thing before signing Pierzynski and, again, right before signing Iguchi.

Maybe this is the truth but, with the Pirates being added to the mix to take Lowell off of someone's hands, this puts the Sox in alot better position to act on Burnett. They could give up some of those untouchable prospects because they would be getting a comparable prospect or two back from the Pirates.

I'm not saying they'll make a deal, but I definitly wouldn't rule it out because Kenny says he isn't.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Let's see....

Hermanson....having back problems....Crede having back problems....Hernandez has been on the DL twice already...Contreras unreliable.

The Sox can use a tweak or two (and not the one from the South Park coffee shop!)

Kenny said today that no American League teams want to deal with the Sox, that's fine...there are still National League teams though.

Make the deals Kenny.

Lip

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Kenny was all coy about Iguchi at Soxfest last year and... then we had him.

I'd wait and see.

Kilroy
07-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Another starter or a left-handed bat would be nice, but I'm not willing to blow up the farm system to get it.

I don't care if they trade the ENTIRE farm system. Do what it takes to win THIS YEAR. Remember all that talk in 2K about not trading away the future and all that crap? We held on to the future and didn't even get one division out of it.

It's been 5 years since we've been in this position, and I'll be pretty pissed off if we lead our division wire to wire, win 100+ games and have the best record in the league, and then GET BOUNCED out of the playoffs. The way this team is playing, nothing short of a pennant should be acceptable, and since it's been 88 years since the Sox last title, there should be no hesitation to make a move to get us a champangne bath in October. NO HESITATION WHATSOEVER.

Paulwny
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
I don't care if they trade the ENTIRE farm system. Do what it takes to win THIS YEAR. Remember all that talk in 2K about not trading away the future and all that crap? We held on to the future and didn't even get one division out of it.

It's been 5 years since we've been in this position, and I'll be pretty pissed off if we lead our division wire to wire, win 100+ games and have the best record in the league, and then GET BOUNCED out of the playoffs. The way this team is playing, nothing short of a pennant should be acceptable, and since it's been 88 years since the Sox last title, there should be no hesitation to make a move to get us a champangne bath in October. NO HESITATION WHATSOEVER.

Agree, roll the dice, win today, tomorrow may never come.

tstrike2000
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
KW's been pretty sneaky in the past about trades. The moral of the story is you never know what can happen. If a quality starter is available in a trade, KW will pull the trigger.

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 03:51 PM

This doesn't make sense to me. We're in a position to have a perenial winner. We have a good farm system. Our staff is locked up for a couple years. The tide in this city is starting to turn towards the south side. Fans are coming out. JR's making a ton of money that he'll probably put back into the team. The park's coming around quite nicely. The stars are aligned. I'm not willing to risk 10 chances for 1 good chance.

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as some. I'm young and see a bright future. I really don't care what's happened since 59.

Talking about risking everything for one chance is a loser's mentality. We need to help change the culture around here. We can be and will be a dominant team.

Kilroy
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Talking about risking everything for one chance is a loser's mentality. We need to help change the culture around here. We can be and will be a dominant team.

Sounds like you'd rather be the Bufflo Bills 1990-94 rather than the 85 Bears. Sorry, I'll take one Championship versus 4-5 division titles without even thinking twice.

denev1
07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I think KW said the same thing before they landed Garcia last year. We all know better than to listen to what he says.
In this quote, he's talking about the costs being too high. I think he'll work some alternatives out and strengthen this team.

Also said before landing Iguchi!!!!

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Sounds like you'd rather be the Bufflo Bills 1990-94 rather than the 85 Bears. Sorry, I'll take one Championship versus 4-5 division titles without even thinking twice.

No. I'd rather be Atlanta than Anaheim.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Taylor:

Age has a way of changing perspective. You assume you have many more years to follow the Sox, you probably do....but some of us don't. Many have suffered for 30, 40 or 45 years like yours truly.

Screw the future...it's not promised to anyone or any team no matter how 'prepared' they are or how good the minor league system is.

Stuff happens...the Sox were supposed to be fabulous in 1960 in 1968 in 1973 and in 1984 for example.....didn't happen did it?

That's baseball.

To quote Tony LaRussa 'you take your best shot at winning every day, you don't know what may happen tomorrow...'

Words to live by in my opinion.

Lip

Kilroy
07-20-2005, 08:58 AM
No. I'd rather be Atlanta than Anaheim.

Who wouldn't? They at least the grabbed one title in that run.

But when you're starving, you don't turn down one piece of bread and hold out for the whole loaf.