PDA

View Full Version : Jody Gerut to the Cubs...

twinsuck1
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
WSCR the score reposting Jody Gerut to the Cubs for Jason Dubois.

fox23
07-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Yawn....

Banix12
07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Monday night Cleveland traded OF Jody Gerut for Cubs OF Jason Dubois.

Not sure about this move by the cubs. Trade a guy with 30 HR potential for a guy who has been horribly dissapointing since his rookie season and only has 1 HR this year.

Cleveland had a very left handed OF and Dubois gives them a solid stick off the bench and from the right side of the plate.

The cubs get another guy that Dusty can look at and think "Hmmm, leadoff..." though he'll likely be the fourth OF.

Gerut's player page (blurb on news section) (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/129311)

RedPinStripes
07-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Yawn....

Not really. Gerut has a lot more talent then Dubois. I hate to say it, but the Cubs got the better end of this deal. :(:

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Aww crap. What's with the Cubs stocking up on players who are Sox fans? The Indians no doubt get the better end of this deal, but I'm gonna hate seeing Gerut on the Cubs. I was hoping he'd end up on the Sox one day.

twinsuck1
07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Local kid too.......

Rocklive99
07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Farmer and Rooney talking about yesterday on how Gerut is/grew up a Sox fan, I guess he's from Illinois

soxwon
Oh great another Preppy -named CUBBIE

Jody or is it JODIE?

RedPinStripes
Monday night Cleveland traded OF Jody Gerut for Cubs OF Jason Dubois.

Not sure about this move by the cubs. Trade a guy with 30 HR potential for a guy who has been horribly dissapointing since his rookie season and only has 1 HR this year.

Cleveland had a very left handed OF and Dubois gives them a solid stick off the bench and from the right side of the plate.

The cubs get another guy that Dusty can look at and think "Hmmm, leadoff..." though he'll likely be the fourth OF.

Gerut's player page (blurb on news section) (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/129311)

He's had some injury problems including this season. If he can do anything like he did his rookie season, he's a 5 tool player.

Banix12
07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
He's had some injury problems including this season. If he can do anything like he did his rookie season, he's a 5 tool player.

Ok so they essentially swapped projects, a healthy one who has some defensive problems for one who plays pretty good defense but has a history of knee problems. ACL problems tend to hurt speed as one of the tools

bluestar
07-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Isn't Gerut supposed to be a lifelong Sox fan? That's gotta be tough...

JermaineDye05
07-18-2005, 11:47 PM
watch out everyone, the cubs are now guranteed a spot in the post season, they are now the best team in baseball

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 11:51 PM
I don't understand what this does for the Cubs. Gerut and Hollandsworth are really similar players. Both of them are platoon players. Gerut isn't going to play against lefties, and Hollandsworth shouldn't play against lefties either. So basically the Cubs now have two left-handed hitting platoon outfielders.

Banix12
07-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't understand what this does for the Cubs. Gerut and Hollandsworth are really similar players. Both of them are platoon players. Gerut isn't going to play against lefties, and Hollandsworth shouldn't play against lefties either. So basically the Cubs now have two left-handed hitting platoon outfielders.

Yeah, It makes sense for Cleveland since Dubois should do well with that Homerun porch there. For the cubs Gerut becomes just another lefty platoon player. Either they don't think Hollandsworth will be around for much longer and some sort of other trade is in the works or Dusty feels like platooning Hairston.

For Hendry it's really dumb since Hairston has been playing well and this just gives Dusty an option allowing him to bench him, as he's done so many times.

MIgrenade
07-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Gerut has a better upside than Dubois. While Dubois will hit homers, he can't play defense. Gerut can play defense and has good speed, he just needs to get things going. Unfortunately for the Cubs, I don't think Dusty can properly manage to get the best out of this. The Cubs are trying to turn into a real baseball team...like a certain one I know.

Gerut is from Elmhurst for those of you wondering.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Not really. Gerut has a lot more talent then Dubois. I hate to say it, but the Cubs got the better end of this deal. :(:
Why do you hate to say it? :?:

Last time I checked, it was the Indians who played in our division, not the Cubs. Surely you wouldn't prefer that Cleveland "got the better end of this deal."

Psst...hey...all you Cub-sessed people out there...the Sox are having a pretty good year. Let's keep our priorities straight.

DrCrawdad
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM

Last time I checked, it was the Indians who played in our division, not the Cubs. Surely you wouldn't prefer that Cleveland "got the better end of this deal."

Psst...hey...all you Cub-sessed people out there...the Sox are having a pretty good year. Let's keep our priorities straight.

Good point.

Dubois was haled and hyped as a great slugger. Then Dubios pined away on the bench and was sent to AAA, now to Cleveland.

BFD.

dcb33
07-19-2005, 12:42 AM

Eh... not so much. I know I wouldn't have too much trouble playing for the Cubs at 365K/yr.

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 12:42 AM
I think the Indians got the better of this deal. Gerut had 1 good year and he has been on the bench ever since. Dubois has excellent power and should put up a decent to good average. The one question is what do they do with Hafner. Put him at 1st and Dubois at DH? Brousarrd is having a decent season.

jabrch
07-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Dubois is awful. He can't field - so he's a DH only. (See Casey Blake and Travis Hafner) He doesn't hit lefties well at all (.219/.292/.438). He strikes out about 33% of the time. compared to one walk per 20 ABs, and a K:BB rate of 7:1.

I saw a bit of him this year - and he reminded me a ton of Dave Kingman 2005. I'm happy to see him an Indian. Our pitching will eat him up.

Banix12
07-19-2005, 01:18 AM
I think the Indians got the better of this deal. Gerut had 1 good year and he has been on the bench ever since. Dubois has excellent power and should put up a decent to good average. The one question is what do they do with Hafner. Put him at 1st and Dubois at DH? Brousarrd is having a decent season.

Dubois will be a 4th OF and will play OF from time to time, probably splitting time with Blake and playing at times when Blake plays 3rd and Boone sits. Dubois defense isn't great but he's not as awful out there as Dusty Baker makes him out to be. Much of that was just an excuse to play Hollandworth everyday.

He will DH from time to time but that will not be his primary use in Cleveland.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Dubois is awful...Our pitching will eat him up.:vizcaino:"Ahem."
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=2840&category=4

Seriously, though, Luis has looked a lot less "Leaky" lately (holy alliteration, Batman!), including two very solid innings tonight.

MHOUSE
07-19-2005, 05:10 AM
....to the Cubs! LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2111055). (for OF Jason Dubois) Poor guy. He grew up in Elmhurst and Lombard as a Sox fan and now he's a Flub. IIRC he absolutely killed the Sox year before last when he first got called up. I'd rather see Dubois facing our pitchers than him so an even trade I guess.

JRIG
07-19-2005, 06:48 AM

My feeling exactly. I like Dubois a lot. Gerut is just a Todd Hollandsworth clone, in my opinion, so I'm not sure what the Cubs plan to do. Hollandsworth is one of "Dusty's Guys" so he probably won't see his playing time cut.

DaleJRFan
07-19-2005, 09:38 AM
My feeling exactly. I like Dubois a lot. Gerut is just a Todd Hollandsworth clone, in my opinion, so I'm not sure what the Cubs plan to do. Hollandsworth is one of "Dusty's Guys" so he probably won't see his playing time cut.

According to MLB.com, Gerut will play Center Field. Same article also mentions DuBois playing First Base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1136254&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

07-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Apples for Apples trade....

Milw
07-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Gerut is from Elmhurst for those of you wondering.
And he went to my alma mater, Willowbrook, I might add. His dad was my physics teacher. Fight Roman Warriors ...

Seriously, I can't tell you how irritated this makes me. I've been a Jody fan since before he went to Stanford, and now he ends up on the Cubs? Hell.

For the record, he is a Sox fan. He used to wear a Sox T-shirt under his Willowbrook jersey.

spiffie
07-19-2005, 10:20 AM
And he went to my alma mater, Willowbrook, I might add. His dad was my physics teacher. Fight Roman Warriors ...

Seriously, I can't tell you how irritated this makes me. I've been a Jody fan since before he went to Stanford, and now he ends up on the Cubs? Hell.

For the record, he is a Sox fan. He used to wear a Sox T-shirt under his Willowbrook jersey.

GO ROMAN WARRIORS!

Didn't know there were any other WB alums on the board. Jody was actually in my graduating class (1995).

This could be a good trade for the cubs if he can stay healthy. He's able to hit for some decent average with a little power, and a few SB. And he's a smart player, which the flubbies have been lacking in their lineup.

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 10:25 AM
WSCR the score reposting Jody Gerut to the Cubs for Jason Dubois.

How does Jim Hendry do it?

JRIG
07-19-2005, 10:27 AM
According to MLB.com, Gerut will play Center Field. Same article also mentions DuBois playing First Base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1136254&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

So Hairston, the most effective lead-off man on the roster and a pretty good catalyst for the Flubs recent surge, will be out of a job?

Makes perfect Dusty-sense. Undoubtedly, Neifi Perez will continue to get a ton of at-bats.

RKMeibalane
07-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Poor guy. Gerut grew up a Sox fan.

Banix12
07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
So Hairston, the most effective lead-off man on the roster and a pretty good catalyst for the Flubs recent surge, will be out of a job?

Makes perfect Dusty-sense. Undoubtedly, Neifi Perez will continue to get a ton of at-bats.

That's what I figured. Dusty has been reluctant to play Hairston everyday all season and made some remarks a week or so ago about his defense not being up to snuff in the OF. By getting Gerut it just gives Dusty an excuse to bench him and try Gerut in the leadoff spot, or Neifi again.

SoxSpeed22
07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
That's what I figured. Dusty has been reluctant to play Hairston everyday all season and made some remarks a week or so ago about his defense not being up to snuff in the OF. By getting Gerut it just gives Dusty an excuse to bench him and try Gerut in the leadoff spot, or Neifi again.How unusual. Jerry Hairston not playing every day, there's a reason why he was a career-long utility-man. Gerut has good OBP, so he could be good. In regards to the Sosa trade, both teams lost. The O's get a has-been, (thanks for the 2-R HR yesterday) and the Cubs got a utility-man and prospects.

Banix12
07-19-2005, 04:03 PM
How unusual. Jerry Hairston not playing every day, there's a reason why he was a career-long utility-man. Gerut has good OBP, so he could be good. In regards to the Sosa trade, both teams lost. The O's get a has-been, (thanks for the 2-R HR yesterday) and the Cubs got a utility-man and prospects.

And one of the prospects the cubs got retired from professional baseball right after spring training.

Hairston has been batting with an OBP in the upper .300's as a leadoff man so I wouldn't call him a total failure. He'll have a higher OBP than Gerut will in that position. Historically his is higher. His major deficiency seems to be laziness on the basepaths, running through signs and such, which is a mortal sin to dusty.

Hairston I think is going to be packaged in some deal at the deadline now that his stock is pretty high.

RedPinStripes
07-19-2005, 06:28 PM

Because. If I were to say the opposite, some ******* would try to call me a Flub troll. Don't question what I think is important. And look at how many posts I waste on the cubs before you try to piss me off with a dumb ass comment like that.

soxwon
07-19-2005, 06:55 PM

the indians are not a factor, neither are the twins.
its all about the white sox
no yankees, no red sox, no angels.
Its White Sox, and ONLY white Sox.

BigEdWalsh
07-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Dubois will be a 4th OF and will play OF from time to time, probably splitting time with Blake and playing at times when Blake plays 3rd and Boone sits. Dubois defense isn't great but he's not as awful out there as Dusty Baker makes him out to be. Much of that was just an excuse to play Hollandworth everyday.

He will DH from time to time but that will not be his primary use in Cleveland.
Just for the record, Dubois in the starting lineup for Cleveland tonight as DH.

Banix12
07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Just for the record, Dubois in the starting lineup for Cleveland tonight as DH.

Hafner is still recovering from getting clocked in the jaw by Buehrle's pitch this weekend. Most nights when Hafner is ok Dubois will not be DHing.

Hitmen77
07-20-2005, 09:53 AM

I think a Sox fan can accept playing for the Cubs since it's a job that he's getting paid handsomly to do. On the other hand, what would be hard to take is being a Sox fan, getting traded to the Flubs and having the Flubune write this headline:

FORMER SOX FAN CHANGES ALLEGIANCE

Hangar18
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Watch how good Gerut does in the National League ......

ilsox7
07-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Uncharacteristic of Harold to speak out:

When told newest Cub Jody Gerut grew up in Lombard idolizing Robin Ventura, Greg Walker and Harold Baines, bench coach Baines said, "He never even said 'Hi.'"

Brian26
07-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Poor guy. Gerut grew up a Sox fan.

Geez, everything I've ever heard about Gerut up until today was that he grew up as a Sox fan.

This afternoon, I open up the Cub-Times on the way home, and it's spin-city. Gerut's father is quoted as being a "DIEHARD CUBS FAN". His father also is quoted as saying "Jody didn't really watch baseball and only said he was a Sox fan because his friends were Sox fans." Then we hear that Jody thinks it will be a "dream come true" to play everyday in Wrigley Field.

This **** makes me sick.

ilsox7
07-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Geez, everything I've ever heard about Gerut up until today was that he grew up as a Sox fan.

This afternoon, I open up the Cub-Times on the way home, and it's spin-city. Gerut's father is quoted as being a "DIEHARD CUBS FAN". His father also is quoted as saying "Jody didn't really watch baseball and only said he was a Sox fan because his friends were Sox fans." Then we hear that Jody thinks it will be a "dream come true" to play everyday in Wrigley Field.

This **** makes me sick.

Pretty sure he is/was a Sox fan. I played ball with one of his younger teammates from Willowbrook (frosh or soph when Gerut was a senior) and I remember him saying they were both Sox fans.