PDA

View Full Version : trade unlikely

JermaineDye05
07-18-2005, 09:40 PM
kenny williams said he wanted to make a big splash, but so far theres noone he can really get that would make a big splash, he says never say never but the chances of there being a trade are unlikely

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1135936&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

SoxSpeed22
07-18-2005, 10:07 PM
The joke of trading for Roberto Alomar is stale.

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 10:11 PM
KW was on with Mulligan and said he wasn't about to make any deals. He said everything out there right now is "stupid." That's uncharacteristic for him so the deals have to be real bad.
We all know though, he's under the radar.

Brian26
07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
After a game like this, it's almost a sign that we shouldn't make a deal. The two weakest offensive positions (3b and SS) delivered when it counted in a dramatic way. The chemistry on this team is magical.

ShoelessJoeS
07-18-2005, 10:16 PM
After a game like this, it's almost a sign that we shouldn't make a deal. The two weakest offensive positions (3b and SS) delivered when it counted in a dramatic way. The chemistry on this team is magical.
amen.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 10:21 PM

Sorry, but I hate this thinking. You build your team on talent. Sure, chemistry is something you strive for. Ideally, you want to have good team guys on your team and you certainly want to keep clubhouse cancer types off the team. Still, you build based on talent. If there is a trade available where the team becomes better, KW should do it. I'll ask this. What do you think is more likely: the Sox make the playoffs but end up losing because KW made a trade before the deadline that hurt team chemistry, or the Sox make the playoffs but lose due to a lack of hitting or pitching?

At this point I think we can say that there is a very good chance the Sox will be in the playoffs. That means KW needs to tweak this team to win in the playoffs. Unless KW brings in some player that is just an absolutely jerk in the clubhouse to such a large degree that he can make the team worse, this team can only get better. Look at the two World Series teams last year. They both tweaked their teams to get better. The Cardinals steam rolled through the regular season last year, but yet they still went out and traded for Larry Walker. Assuming KW does his diligence on players, and I'm quite sure he would, I don't see any way he can bring in a better player and yet hurt the team.

Tragg
07-18-2005, 10:21 PM
There are still 2 weeks left; perhaps in that time, you'll have additional teams figuring they're out of it. But it's just bizarre as to how many teams are still in it.

The other thing you have this year are teams like Detroit and Milwaukee who, while not officially out of it, are unlikely; yet, they don't want to dump a lot of players because they figure they can contend next year.

i figure teams like the Giants and Mariners will do some dealing. Houston might too, although they probably want to trade pitching prospects and could be a useful third wheel in a trade.

SABRSox
07-18-2005, 10:28 PM
KW was on with Mulligan and said he wasn't about to make any deals. He said everything out there right now is "stupid." That's uncharacteristic for him so the deals have to be real bad.
We all know though, he's under the radar.

Well, take what the Orioles are willing to give up for AJ Burnett. Have you seen this, have you heard about this? Jorge Julio, Larry Bigbie, and Hayden Penn for AJ Burnett and the albatross contract of Mike Lowell. That is stupid, especially considering AJ's injury history.

I think that within a week, a lot of teams who still see themselves as contenders (take the Dodgers, for instance, who are 8 1/2 back and still see themselves as buyers) will wise up and start to sell. That's when the market will come to Kenny...

balke
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Sorry, but I hate this thinking. You build your team on talent. Sure, chemistry is something you strive for. Ideally, you want to have good team guys on your team and you certainly want to keep clubhouse cancer types off the team. Still, you build based on talent. If there is a trade available where the team becomes better, KW should do it. I'll ask this. What do you think is more likely: the Sox make the playoffs but end up losing because KW made a trade before the deadline that hurt team chemistry, or the Sox make the playoffs but lose due to a lack of hitting or pitching?

At this point I think we can say that there is a very good chance the Sox will be in the playoffs. That means KW needs to tweak this team to win in the playoffs. Unless KW brings in some player that is just an absolutely jerk in the clubhouse to such a large degree that he can make the team worse, this team can only get better. Look at the two World Series teams last year. They both tweaked their teams to get better. The Cardinals steam rolled through the regular season last year, but yet they still went out and traded for Larry Walker. Assuming KW does his diligence on players, and I'm quite sure he would, I don't see any way he can bring in a better player and yet hurt the team.

I gotta believe Kenny. There can't be a good SS or 3B out there that won't cost a MLB ready player, or Mccarthy. I won't be upset if Kenny does nothing, we've beat everyone this season but the A's, and Chemistry can be more than guys just getting along. Maybe Crede or Uribe are hitting when noone else can, or maybe they make everyone else practice more patience at the plate, and take more responsibility per at-bat.

I'd like to see Vizquel or Wagner come to the Sox, or an A-rod calibur SS or 3rd baseman, but its not happening. The starting pitching is there, and the Sox have won with this team all season. No point dumping a Marte who looks so solid, or a Contreras who's already made strides since last season IMO. Now if they wanna dump Shingo and some prospects for a good back up 3B stellar starting SS or Wagner, go for it.

Tragg
07-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Assuming KW does his diligence on players, and I'm quite sure he would, I don't see any way he can bring in a better player and yet hurt the team.I agree with that. But KW didn't say he didn't want to trade - just that the market was bad with GMs asking way too much for players.
Plus, there's a much greater chance of an offseason trade ruining chemistry than one right now. What's a newbie going to do - come in and start whining and complaining when the team has a 13 game lead? If he does that, he'll be shut up quickly by MB and the other leaders on the team.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 10:42 PM
I agree with that. But KW didn't say he didn't want to trade - just that the market was bad with GMs asking way too much for players.
Plus, there's a much greater chance of an offseason trade ruining chemistry than one right now. What's a newbie going to do - come in and start whining and complaining when the team has a 13 game lead? If he does that, he'll be shut up quickly by MB and the other leaders on the team.

Exactly. Any player that is acquired would likely be coming from a bad/mediocre team. I think the new player would be so happy to be on a team this good that they'd fit right in.

Daver
07-18-2005, 10:45 PM
You want chemistry?

Have Willie Harris wander around the dugout with a bunsen burner during the game. Prolly be the closest he has come to earning a paycheck in two years.

Flight #24
07-18-2005, 11:11 PM
You want chemistry?

Have Willie Harris wander around the dugout with a bunsen burner during the game. Prolly be the closest he has come to earning a paycheck in two years.

Kill 3 birds with 1 stone: Trade Willie to the BoSox, who are now in the market for a 2B.

Stone#1: Free up a roster spot
Stone#2: Get something for Willie
Stone#3: If we meet the BoSox in the playoffs, we'll be better off with Willie on their side

:wink:

slavko
07-18-2005, 11:37 PM
You can't believe Kenny when he says this in an interview. Anything he says in an interview is calculating and self-serving. That's his job, he knows how to do it, and I'm glad he's on our side. I'm not saying there's a chance no trades will be made, but I think there will.

jabrch
07-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Kenny is definitely out there looking. If the right deal is there - he would jump it. But he is rightfully not going to make a deal just to make a deal. It has to really help us to become significantly better this year.

This isn't brain surgery - KW will look to improve the club any way he can. If he can't - he will go to the playoffs with what he has built.

We have lots of talent in the minors. If we can't use it to get something that would help us out, then we will use it next year.

I trust Kenny.