PDA

View Full Version : Toledo Mud Hens

maurice
07-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I tried to catch a game in Toledo on the way to Cleveland, but it got rained out. Fifth Third Field looked like a nice facility -- another in the Camden trend of attaching new parks to old buildings. In this case, the attached buildings were rehabbed into commercial space that include Fricker's -- a generic sports bar chain with tons of TVs. Other drinking establishments can be found south of the park, including the Durty Bird on St. Clair, the Maumee Bay Brewing Company on Broadway, and the Old Roadhouse on Erie. With the exception of a few bars and the ballpark, the downtown area is dead on weekends. Most of the town is closed on Sunday afternoon. Free parking is available on the street near the park after 5:00 p.m.

The 20-40 crowd congregated at Fricker's, including a handful of apparent bandwagon Sox fans. Toledo fans seem to associate more with the Tigers than the Jndjans, since the Mud Hens are a Tigers' affiliate and Detroit is a very short drive.

Other attractions around town include a science museum (COSI), the Toledo Zoo, a free botanical garden, and Maumee Bay State Park (for Lake Erie access).

All-in-all, it's worth the 4- to 5-hour drive from Chicago, especially if the Charlotte Knights are in town.

He gone
07-18-2005, 06:13 PM
The Knights are in Toledo in August for 2 nights and if I can swing it, I'd like to go see them.

I almost went a couple of weeks ago to see a certain Ex-Sox player :D:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7388/ordonez20magglio20220walby6jg.jpg

maurice
07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
The Knights are in Toledo in August for 2 nights and if I can swing it, I'd like to go see them.

Yeah. They're also playing in Columbus that week.