White Sox Josh
07-18-2005, 03:21 PM
according to ESPN 1000.

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Somebody take a bat to my head. Please!

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
That's definitely a change of events. Does that mean he has to pass through waivers?

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
*sighs*

ChiSoxRowand
07-18-2005, 03:25 PM
That's definitely a change of events. Does that mean he has to pass through waivers?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't. I have been saying he needs to go down for about 2 months, he just needs to get his control back. He can't do that here where he's pitching once or twice a week.

NSSoxFan
Is this a question or a statement?

:?:

Flight #24
Doesn't mean there's no deal, just means they couldn't get one done in time to get Duque up for tonight's start.

MIgrenade
As long as he is not locating that fastball, Shingo is not a major league pitcher. I hope they can get some prospects rather than just sending him down.

White Sox Josh
07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Does this mean he goes to the minors or is released? Because he still has 3 options left.

RKMeibalane
Does this mean he goes to the minors or is released? Because he still has 3 options left.

If he has been sent to Charlotte, he's in the minors.

soltrain21
Doesn't mean there's no deal, just means they couldn't get one done in time to get Duque up for tonight's start.

Exactly. Plus if there IS a deal going down they would not use him anyway (to prevent injury). By keeping up Jenks it gives the Sox the oppurtunity to have a pitcher on the staff they MAY actually use tonight.

Juice16
I feel this is a much better option. I was going to bring up the option of going to Charlotte but I figured with the Scores super reliable reporting, a deal was done. I would love to see Shingo stay.

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 03:27 PM

It means he's being sent to AAA to make room for El Duque. It doesn't mean he won't be traded today.

Unregistered
:KW
"In reviewing the trade details, it just makes the most sense to us and 'White Sox Josh' to keep Shingo, and simply send him to Charlotte. This way, he can visit Iguchi more often and it will be a shorter flight than from Arizona. Tadahito has been crying since 10am, and we keep telling him it's not his fault: sometimes when two adults don't agree anymore, they need to spend time apart..."

soltrain21

Don't worry, Father Shingo is still gracing us all.

eriqjaffe
Shingo's been sent to AAA? Maybe the Sox can trade him for Corey Patterson!

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 03:28 PM
:KW
"In reviewing the trade details, it just makes the most sense to us and 'White Sox Josh' to keep Shingo, and simply send him to Charlotte. This way, he can visit Iguchi more often and it will be a shorter flight than from Arizona. Tadahito has been crying since 10am, and we keep telling him it's not his fault: sometimes when two adults don't agree anymore, they need to spend time apart..."

:rolling:

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Shingo's been sent to AAA? Maybe the Sox can trade him for Corey Patterson!

Don't give WSJ anymore ideas. I fully expect him to start a thread about this within the next five minutes.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
HE GONG!

Lame.

bennyw41
07-18-2005, 03:31 PM
It had to be said.....What? Too soon?

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 03:32 PM
It's laughable that they believe Jenks can help us more than Shingo. UGH,

soltrain21
07-18-2005, 03:34 PM

Atleast when Jenks walks people it is with a blazing fastball so we can say

"HOLY FREAKING CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT FASTBALL!?"

You can't do that with Shingo, can you?

Unregistered
07-18-2005, 03:35 PM
It had to be said.....What? Too soon?It was said. When you posted in the other thread.

HebrewHammer
07-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Weird day so far.

First Burnett is a Red Sox, then he's an Oriole, then he's nothing. Now Shingo's traded, now he isn't and he's headed to Charlotte? Didn't see that one coming.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM

No, it's laughable that you think you know Jenks and Shingo better than KW, Ozzie, and Coop. Seeing as though they built this juggernaut, I am gonna side with them on personnel decisions.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Sending a player down to AAA is always a great way to help that players trade value.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Sending a player down to AAA is always a great way to help that players trade value.

Sadly, it means he basically has no trade value. The rumored deal was for a mid-level prospect. Pretty pathetic.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2005, 03:45 PM
HE GONG!
Dude, it wasn't funny when you posted it in the other thread. Second time around, and curiously enough, it still isn't.

Madvora
07-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Sadly, it means he basically has no trade value. The rumored deal was for a mid-level prospect. Pretty pathetic.
Well, they did have to get Hernandez up for today's game, so maybe they just couldn't get something done in time. Somebody had to be moved in order to make room for Hernandez, it might as well be a guy that's about to be traded. Possibly something is still being worked on because the Saturday Suntimes said that "Shingo could possibly be traded today."

wildcat
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
The official press release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1135798&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Looks like Gload is staying in Charlotte for the time being too.

Randar68
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM

Wait, so they should have sent down a player they plan on keeping and wasting one of that guy's options instead of a player they are on the verge of dealing? Why? Not only that, but if you're actually in trade talks, does anyone REALLY think that the team sending him down to make a roster space for the slated starter is going to disrupt those trade talks?

Sorry guys, but this has no effect on his tradeability...

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Wait, so they should have sent down a player they plan on keeping and wasting one of that guy's options instead of a player they are on the verge of dealing? Why? Not only that, but if you're actually in trade talks, does anyone REALLY think that the team sending him down to make a roster space for the slated starter is going to disrupt those trade talks?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It's not like the D'backs wouldn't know what they're getting.

anewman35
07-18-2005, 03:51 PM
The official press release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1135798&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

So, he was DFA, not actually sent to Charlotte. Now, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that means we have 10 days to either trade him or release him, right? I don't think we can just bring him back up or send him to Charlotte unless every other team passes on him. What this probably means, obviously, is that a trade is indeed very close.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 03:53 PM

I didn't mean that they should keep Shingo up and send someone else down. What I meant was they have apparently been working to trade Shingo the last week or so and all reports have been we'd get a mid-level prospect in return. It looks like, for the mean time, we can't even get that, which has resulte in sending Shingo down. Therefore, his trade value is almost nothing.

Jjav829

Looks like Gload is staying in Charlotte for the time being too.

He was actually designated for assignment which is quite a bit different than just sending a guy down to the minors. And yes, this definitely has an impact on his trade value. Now that teams know he will be gone, they aren't going to give up as much.

White Sox Josh
So, he was DFA, not actually sent to Charlotte. Now, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that means we have 10 days to either trade him or release him, right? I don't think we can just bring him back up or send him to Charlotte unless every other team passes on him. What this probably means, obviously, is that a trade is indeed very close.During the ten days he can be claimed by another team. If he is claimed the Sox can pull him back. They also can trade him. When those 10 days are over he will be sent to Charlotte.

bumptious96
07-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Whitesox.com says Shingo to Charlotte and Gload stays in Charlotte after his rehab assignment.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I didn't mean that they should keep Shingo up and send someone else down. What I meant was they have apparently been working to teade Shingo the last week or so and all reports have been we'd get a mid-level prospect in return. It looks like, for the mean time, we can't even get that, which has resulte in sending Shingo down. Therefore, his trade value is almost nothing.

His trade value would have been higher if he was only being sent down. Designating Shingo for assignment takes away any chance we had of getting anything decent.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 03:56 PM
His trade value would have been higher if he was only being sent down. Designating Shingo for assignment takes away any chance we had of getting anything decent.

Maybe the DBacks will give us a couple hundred grand for him, similar to the Yankees buying Leiter for 400K.

Or maybe Shingo is headed back to the Far East.

anewman35
07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
During the ten days he can be claimed by another team. If he is claimed the Sox can pull him back. They also can trade him. When those 10 days are over he will be sent to Charlotte.

Found this on some website, don't know if it's true. Hopefully I can either find something official or somebody who knows for sure can chime in:

Designated for Assignment: When a player is taken off of a MLB team's 40-man roster, he must be designated for assignment. A player so designated must clear waivers to be sent to the minor leagues. However, unlike regular waivers, the team requesting waivers cannot withdraw its request if the player is claimed by another team. Any player so claimed must be placed on the acquiring team's 40-man roster

MinnySoxFan
07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
How sad would it be if the Cubs actually claimed him...

Randar68
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
During the ten days he can be claimed by another team. If he is claimed the Sox can pull him back. They also can trade him. When those 10 days are over he will be sent to Charlotte.

actually.... no.

NSSoxFan
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM

This is not true.

Randar68
07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Designated for Assignment: When a player is taken off of a MLB team's 40-man roster, he must be designated for assignment. A player so designated must clear waivers to be sent to the minor leagues. However, unlike regular waivers, the team requesting waivers cannot withdraw its request if the player is claimed by another team. Any player so claimed must be placed on the acquiring team's 40-man roster

Which means...

They have 10 days to trade him or he will be lost to the highest-priority team that put a claim in to the league for him. If no team claims him, only then can he be sent to the minors or the player can sometimes request to be granted free agency...

itsnotrequired
07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, I guess its official now.

soltrain21
07-18-2005, 04:01 PM

FRISBEE!! FRISBEE!! He gone! Shingo strikes out White Sox Josh and this ball game is over!

BNLSox
07-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Oh my... Well trade season is upon us and a lot of teams like Shingo...

CHIsoxNation
07-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else getting very anxious right now. It seems like a bunch of minor moves are being made in succession of a bigger one. Geez, only 2 weeks until the deadline.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Sorry, you're wrong. Face it, Shingo has thrown his last pitch as a member of the Chicago White Sox organization. Time to take down the posters and put your "He Gong" t-shirts on eBay. He will likely be traded within 10 days, or else waived.

The interesting thing is that this opens up a spot on the 40-man roster. Could another move by imminent? Or is KW just preparing in case something comes up? I guess we'll find out in the coming days.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Sorry, you're wrong. Face it, Shingo has thrown his last pitch as a member of the Chicago White Sox organization. Time to take down the posters and put your "He Gong" t-shirts on eBay. He will likely be traded within 10 days, or else waived.

The interesting thing is that this opens up a spot on the 40-man roster. Could another move by imminent? Or is KW just preparing in case something comes up? I guess we'll find out in the coming days.

Maybe they're getting Jeremy Reed back.

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Yankees? Don't laugh.

I think someone in the NL will take a chance. That frisbee will be new in the NL, otherwise it's back to the Far East.

MinnySoxFan
07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
According to the Score...

The D-Backs have officially....

broken off deals with the Sox

rmusacch
07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, they did have to get Hernandez up for today's game, so maybe they just couldn't get something done in time. Somebody had to be moved in order to make room for Hernandez, it might as well be a guy that's about to be traded. Possibly something is still being worked on because the Saturday Suntimes said that "Shingo could possibly be traded today."

There is something in the works or they would not have designated him for assignment. They could have just optioned him to the minors. With this, there are only 38 players on the 40 man roster.

downstairs
07-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else getting very anxious right now. It seems like a bunch of minor moves are being made in succession of a bigger one. Geez, only 2 weeks until the deadline.

I still don't think there is any sensible big move we could make.

Unless Clemens is coming here or something. Schmidt or Burnett are big-ish names, but I don't see them being that much of an improvement over El Duque.

cleanwsox
07-18-2005, 04:09 PM
If he gets claimed, does the claiming team pick up the rest of the years salary (1 and a so million) or are the Sox stuck paying it.

Hangar18
07-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Shingo will be back ....... I think he will get his control up to par down there ...
and will be serviceable down the stretch.
Why cant we just RELEASE Vizcaino .......or pull a Hendry and trade him
for AJ Burnett

rmusacch
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I still don't think there is any sensible big move we could make.

Unless Clemens is coming here or something. Schmidt or Burnett are big-ish names, but I don't see them being that much of an improvement over El Duque.

I think the only reason we would acquire another starter is for if and when El Duque gets hurt again. That said, if they trade Contreras in one of these trades, they better make sure El Duque is healthy. I hate to see Shingo go. He seems to be a fan favorite and has probably helped Tadahito adjust. Why couldn't the designate Vizcaino?

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Shingo will be back ....... I think he will get his control up to par down there ...
and will be serviceable down the stretch.
Why cant we just RELEASE Vizcaino .......or pull a Hendry and trade him
for AJ Burnett

Somebody didn't read the thread.

GiveMeSox
07-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I understand Shingo was the weak spot in the pen with a bad ERA around 6. But i dont see how replacing him with a AA player who is unproven and also currently has a 20.25 ERA is going to help us at all. Neither seems to be good for anything except mop up duty. Is it just me or does anyone think Adkins could be of good use right now. We all trust him more than Jenks or Shingo right now and he is much more experienced.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-18-2005, 04:22 PM

I think you hit the nail right on the head....Shingo's done. However, the 2nd part of your post is the interesting one....is there something in the works still?? It's KW, so anything is possible. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement during the Red/White Sox series this weekend...

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I think the Indian's game triggered this. I could tell by the look that Coop and Guillen were giving in the 9th inning. They had enough of Shingo failing to attack the zone.

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I dont think Jon Adkins is the solution to anybody's problem. I could see getting Adkins if our BP pitcher got hurt, otherwise no thanks.

PatK
07-18-2005, 04:31 PM

The D-Backs have officially....

broken off deals with the Sox

Translation: We got fooled

FloridaSox
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM

If Shingo has been designated for assigment, it means that he is off the roster, Kenny has 10 days to work out a deal for him and if he does not, Shingo is then a Free Agent.

bumptious96
07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Shingo will probably be dealt to Arizona for a prospect in the coming days. If Kenny is looking to make a bigger deal this new prospect might be able to be included in it. Adkins or Jenks or Bajenaru can't do any worse than Shingo and will all do a fine in doing what Shingo did, which was MOP-UP duty!

I still don't like a deal for Burnett or Schmidt cause it simply won't be that much of an upgrade from Contreras with the way those two are pitching right now in a sub-par National League.

Everyone needs to stop :whiner: about this move. We'll be fine without Shingo.

GAsoxfan
07-18-2005, 04:36 PM
See ya Shingo. Sox should have traded him last off-season when they could have gotten something decent in return.

soltrain21
07-18-2005, 04:38 PM
I could hardly believe it
When I heard the news today
I had to come and get it
Straight from you
They said you were leavin'
Someone swept your heart away
From the look upon your face
I see it's true
So tell me all about it,
Tell me 'bout the plans you're makin'
Then tell me one thing more before I go

Tell me how am I supposed to live without you Now that I've been lovin' you so long

It is hard to lose your first love, Josh. But we are here to help.

MinnySoxFan
07-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Shingo will probably be dealt to Arizona for a prospect in the coming days. If Kenny is looking to make a bigger deal this new prospect might be able to be included in it. Adkins or Jenks or Bajenaru can't do any worse than Shingo and will all do a fine in doing what Shingo did, which was MOP-UP duty!

I still don't like a deal for Burnett or Schmidt cause it simply won't be that much of an upgrade from Contreras with the way those two are pitching right now in a sub-par National League.

The D-Backs have officially broken off deals with the Sox

FloridaSox
07-18-2005, 04:40 PM

I agree. While the Orioles apparently are the front runners for Burnett, ESPN boards are suggesting Kenny is still in there fighting offering Contrearas, McCarthy and Anderson and agreeing to take Mike Lowell as a salary dump. Here's hoping the Orioles win.

Man Soo Lee
07-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Wait, so they should have sent down a player they plan on keeping and wasting one of that guy's options instead of a player they are on the verge of dealing?

Sending Jenks down wouldn't have any effect on his "options". He was optioned to the minors during spring training, so this is one of his three option years. They could call him up and send him down every ten days and it wouldn't change anything.

Randar68
07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
But i dont see how replacing him with a AA player who is unproven and also currently has a 20.25 ERA is going to help us at all.

And I don't see how anyone should give you the time of day if you're going to quote ERA's on players with <2 IP...

HELLLLOOOOOO!!!! McFLYYYYYYYYY!!!!:rolleyes:

rmusacch
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
If Shingo has been designated for assigment, it means that he is off the roster, Kenny has 10 days to work out a deal for him and if he does not, Shingo is then a Free Agent.

Actually no, he has 10 days to release him, trade him or option him to the minors.

Randar68
07-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Translation: We got fooled

don't sprain an ankle making these kinds of ridiculous and premature jumps to conclusions

bumptious96
07-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I agree. While the Orioles apparently are the front runners for Burnett, ESPN boards are suggesting Kenny is still in there fighting offering Contrearas, McCarthy and Anderson and agreeing to take Mike Lowell as a salary dump. Here's hoping the Orioles win.

If that deal happens I will be devastated and utterly disappointed in Kenny. It will be the only move i have disagreed with other than the....sorry to bring it up....Todd Ritchie deal.

Hendu
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM

While I agree that Burnett and Schmidt are not worth what those teams are asking for, I also think that we could use a true power pitcher to balance out our finesse rotation. The A's series showed that a patient offense that doesn't try to do too much can score off of our staff. It'd be nice to have another power pitcher to keep patient teams like the A's (just in case) and BoSox honest.
We'll see what KW has up his sleeve and if the Shingo move is the start of it.

GiveMeSox
07-18-2005, 04:58 PM
If that deal happens I will be devastated and utterly disappointed in Kenny. It will be the only move i have disagreed with other than the....sorry to bring it up....Todd Ritchie deal.

Yeah playoff rotation usually dont go deeper than 3 or 4 guys anyway. So MB, JG, FG, and probably Duque it would be anyway. Contreras would probably go to the pen to back up duque in the playoffs anyway.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2005, 05:01 PM
No matter what the Score reported, the Sox and the D-Backs are still talking. They might have hung up on eachother, but KW will call them back later tonight, tomorrow, or a couple of days from now and try to work things out. Negotiations always break off, its not like every trade is thought up and consumated within a span of an hour.

If we do trade Shingo to Arizona, I would hope we get Alex Cintron in return. We might have to throw a prospect in the deal, but even if we did, it would be worth it. He is a solid player, doesn't strike out that much, has a respectable average, and is good defensively. He also has succsessfully played 2B, SS, and 3B in the majors. He is similar to Ozuna, except a little more power, and better defense. Plus, if we get him we could send Willie packing.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
No matter what the Score reported, the Sox and the D-Backs are still talking. They might have hung up on eachother, but KW will call them back later tonight, tomorrow, or a couple of days from now and try to work things out. Negotiations always break off, its not like every trade is thought up and consumated within a span of an hour.

If we do trade Shingo to Arizona, I would hope we get Alex Cintron in return. We might have to throw a prospect in the deal, but even if we did, it would be worth it. He is a solid player, doesn't strike out that much, has a respectable average, and is good defensively. He also has succsessfully played 2B, SS, and 3B in the majors. He is similar to Ozuna, except a little more power, and better defense. Plus, if we get him we could send Willie packing.

I think you're dreaming BIG TIME here. The rumored deal was for a mid-level prospect. Why would the DBacks part with a serviceable major leaguer when they can have Shingo for nothing by claiming him off of waivers?

Lip Man 1
07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
The Sox I think are trying to buy time. Time to clear out some guys in a multiple player deal. The question marks right now are:

1. What area(s) would the Sox want to improve (Hernandez will give an indication if it's starting pitching after tonight... Crede's back will let them know something in the next week which means they could target an infielder.)

2. Gload / Shingo / Harris / Perez / Hernandez and Crede are the question marks (or areas where they may have to make a move...)

Reading the tea leaves, Kenny has roughly two or three more players then roster spots. He'll be working on something that will clear out some space and then try to fill the areas he feels need improving.

It's just going to take more time.

Lip

Juice16
07-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Atleast when Jenks walks people it is with a blazing fastball so we can say

"HOLY FREAKING CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT FASTBALL!?"

You can't do that with Shingo, can you?

I'd rather say, " Holy Freaking Crap, did you see how slow that was!?"

Banix12
07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Just heard it on the last update, the Sox designate Shingo for assignment to make room for El Duque.

Gload to stay at AAA.

dcb33
07-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Just heard it on the last update, the Sox designate Shingo for assignment to make room for El Duque.

Gload to stay at AAA.

Uhhh...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54402

JimH
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I think you're dreaming BIG TIME here. The rumored deal was for a mid-level prospect. Why would the DBacks part with a serviceable major leaguer when they can have Shingo for nothing by claiming him off of waivers?

The only way the D-Backs can get Shingo via waivers is if:

1. The Sox don't trade him within 10 days

2. No team below Arizona in the standings puts in a claim first

Beauty35thStreet
07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I believe the whole DFA means this:

10 days to complete a trade, if no trade happens, a team can claim a deal with the Sox, however, the Sox can pull out of the deal if they want (which probably won't happen), or if no trade occurs, and no one wants to claim Shingo off waivers, then they can release him or send him to the minors.

correct me where I'm wrong, I'm trying to figure out this stuff myself

Deuce
07-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Maybe they're getting Jeremy Reed back.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6152/jason727kb.jpg

"YES!!!!!!!"

DaleJRFan
07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050718&content_id=1135798&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DaleJRFan
07-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I guess the rumors are true, for once. Who is going to want a reliever with a 5.50 ERA, a 86 mph fastball and a no-trade clause?

I like Shingo. Oh well.... :whiner:

He gone
07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah, ESPN Sports Center just reported it too.

Soo Long Mr. Zero...............

Flight #24
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Which means...

They have 10 days to trade him or he will be lost to the highest-priority team that put a claim in to the league for him. If no team claims him, only then can he be sent to the minors or the player can sometimes request to be granted free agency...

Doesn't the team that claims him have to pay his salary? That will discourage some, because even though $2.5 isn't a ton, it's a lot for a flier on a guy who might end up doing nothing more than mop-up.

SoxxoS
07-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Sorry, had to...

http://www.digitalend.com/pics/oldnews.jpg

:D:

GregoryEtc
07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/dumb/pics/dumb04.jpg
"We landed on the moon! All right!"

Banix12
07-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Sorry didn't notice the other thread. Honest mistake.

Optipessimism
07-18-2005, 07:21 PM

Alex Cintron for Shingo and a prospect is a pipe dream. I highly doubt they do anything like that.

Beauty35thStreet
07-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Doesn't the team that claims him have to pay his salary? That will discourage some, because even though $2.5 isn't a ton, it's a lot for a flier on a guy who might end up doing nothing more than mop-up.

As far as I know you are correct.

iamkoza
07-18-2005, 07:55 PM
All I can say is thank GOD you aren't a GM. YOU don't want Cintron, YOU want another SP. YOU hear the deal for Ortiz...

Did you know Ortiz is on the DL and hasn't started since June 15th??

Did you also watch the game against us when he was shelled? Have you looked at his stats the last couple of years? BAD

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
according to ESPN 1000.

I remember you mentioning something about the Score getting the Dave Stewart signing wrong. I thought that was kind of odd as you were about 6 when it went down and you couldn't possibly "remember" it. So, I'm lurking over on the "other" site and ran across a thread you started which was pretty much the same as this. You copied a member of that site's post verbatim.

If you're going to post so much, make sure you're posting your own ideas. Or, give credit when you quote other people's posts.

BTW...

:tomatoaward

soltrain21
07-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I remember you mentioning something about the Score getting the Dave Stewart signing wrong. I thought that was kind of odd as you were about 6 when it went down and you couldn't possibly "remember" it. So, I'm lurking over on the "other" site and ran across a thread you started which was pretty much the same as this. You copied a member of that site's post verbatim.

If you're going to post so much, make sure you're posting your own ideas. Or, give credit when you quote other people's posts.

BTW...

:tomatoaward

Oh Snap! White Sox Josh just got owned!

SABRSox
07-18-2005, 08:37 PM

I think you mean:
http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10117000/10117859.jpg

Jurr
07-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I feel bad for the kid. He means well.

SABRSox
07-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Well, the D-Backs will end up trading for Shingo. I doubt they risk losing him to a team like Tampa Bay. It'll probably take most, if not all of the 10 day period to hammer out who, but it will probably still be a mid-level prospect, hopefully someone of the Jerry Owens ilk that Kenny seems to pry away from other teams.

Also, someone mentioned having to pay his $2.5 mil salary. I believe it's pro-rated, so the other team would only owe about half of that.

Anyone know any good Diamondback prospects?

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 09:16 PM
I feel bad for the kid. He means well.

I agree, but it's a bad idea to quote posts verbatim and pawn them off as your own. It's a good lesson to learn.

soxfan1965
07-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Shingo was 1 strike away from 3 up, 3 down on an 0-2 count--a golden opportunity--but the rain (or snow or hail or pain) is no excuse if you're the closer for the night. That's baseball. Yes, it may have masked his problems even if he did succeed Saturday, as he may be past his prime. Hopefully he'll get picked up and excel for another team and finish off 2005. It would be a nice gesture for the Sox after they win the World Series to give him a championship Ring!!! Before his stuggles, it was fun seeing him pitch, seeing him baffle batters like Hoyt Wilhelm did. I wish him well.

LVSoxFan
07-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree that the Cleveland game on Saturday seemed to be the nail in his coffin. What a coincidence that his 3-HR shelling in the first week of the season was the first chink in Shingo's armor to appear this season. Unfortunately, I was at that game.

But yes the look on Cooper's face while Shingo walked the last two guys before giving up a single was unforgettable--usually they are poker-faced in the dugout but this time it was a look of panic, like "Get this guy out of here before we blow this!"

And that right there said they had lost all confidence in Shingo--and I don't know how you come back from that.

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Shingo was 1 strike away from 3 up, 3 down on an 0-2 count--a golden opportunity--but the rain (or snow or hail or pain) is no excuse if you're the closer for the night. That's baseball. Yes, it may have masked his problems even if he did succeed Saturday, as he may be past his prime. Hopefully he'll get picked up and excel for another team and finish off 2005. It would be a nice gesture for the Sox after they win the World Series to give him a championship Ring!!! Before his stuggles, it was fun seeing him pitch, seeing him baffle batters like Hoyt Wilhelm did. I wish him well.

I'd be shocked if he didn't get a ring. He was with the team for more than half the season.

DickAllen72
07-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I agree that the Cleveland game on Saturday seemed to be the nail in his coffin. What a coincidence that his 3-HR shelling in the first week of the season was the first chink in Shingo's armor to appear this season. Unfortunately, I was at that game.

But yes the look on Cooper's face while Shingo walked the last two guys before giving up a single was unforgettable--usually they are poker-faced in the dugout but this time it was a look of panic, like "Get this guy out of here before we blow this!"

And that right there said they had lost all confidence in Shingo--and I don't know how you come back from that.

I don't know. He got two quick outs, was up on the next two batters 0-2, and didn't get the call on a couple of close pitches. It was raining and the ball was all wet.

He didn't do his job that outing, but I hardly think an outing like that warranted him losing his roster spot, especially to an unproven pitcher who was in AA a couple of weeks ago while we are in a pennant race.

I like Jenks and I hope he will be lights out, but I'm sorry they dumped Shingo like they did. This very well could come back to bite them in the ass.

anewman35
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't know. He got two quick outs, was up on the next two batters 0-2, and didn't get the call on a couple of close pitches. It was raining and the ball was all wet.

He didn't do his job that outing, but I hardly think an outing like that warranted him losing his roster spot, especially to an unproven pitcher who was in AA a couple of weeks ago while we are in a pennant race.

I like Jenks and I hope he will be lights out, but I'm sorry they dumped Shingo like they did. This very well could come back to bite them in the ass.

It's not like Shingo was great all season and then had one bad outing. He hasn't been right most of the season, and it's not like he was going to pitch in any close games anyway. I find it very very unlikely that this will come back to bite anybody in the ass.

joshua1024
07-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I live in D.C. and don't have access to all the Chicago media concerning Takatsu's assignment. What I have seen, though, makes me worry that our sole remaining Japanese player, Iguchi, may fall deep down "in the dumps" about losing his countryman and friend. Can Iguchi "snap out of it," or may this designation for assignment carry ripple effects far deeper and longer lasting than the mere departure of a fastball hurler?:(:

soxfan1965
07-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I live in D.C. and don't have access to all the Chicago media concerning Takatsu's assignment. What I have seen, though, makes me worry that our sole remaining Japanese player, Iguchi, may fall deep down "in the dumps" about losing his countryman and friend. Can Iguchi "snap out of it," or may this designation for assignment carry ripple effects far deeper and longer lasting than the mere departure of a fastball hurler?:(:

Iguchi's initial reaction was mentioned in the Chicago Sun Times today http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-shingo19.html

Beauty35thStreet
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I believe the whole DFA means this:

10 days to complete a trade, if no trade happens, a team can claim a deal with the Sox, however, the Sox can pull out of the deal if they want (which probably won't happen), or if no trade occurs, and no one wants to claim Shingo off waivers, then they can release him or send him to the minors.

correct me where I'm wrong, I'm trying to figure out this stuff myself

According to trib, Kenny can trade, waive, release, or send Takatsu to the minors. The Sox are responsible for his salary, if nothing gets done.

iamkoza
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
According to trib, Kenny can trade, waive, release, or send Takatsu to the minors. The Sox are responsible for his salary, if nothing gets done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-whitesoxdbackscourti&prov=fanball&type=lgns

shingo for their swimming pool?

Beauty35thStreet
07-19-2005, 10:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-whitesoxdbackscourti&prov=fanball&type=lgns

shingo for their swimming pool?

I've heard via word of mouth that Guillen didn't like Shingo. Does anyone agree or disagree with this, and give some reasoning

Thanks

soltrain21
07-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I've heard via word of mouth that Guillen didn't like Shingo. Does anyone agree or disagree with this, and give some reasoning

Thanks

I guess I could agree. I don't question whether he liked him a human being or not, but the way Ozzie and Cooper were shaking their heads against Cleveland was a sure sign that they are frustrated with him as a pitcher.

I think Ozzie and Coop just telling him to attack the zone and he wouldn't do it.

starboy0
07-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Before his stuggles, it was fun seeing him pitch, seeing him baffle batters like Hoyt Wilhelm did. I wish him well.

Shingo's high point for me was last year when he came in to relieve in the 2nd Cub's game at the Cell. Felix Diaz was actually beating Zambrano. The gong sounded and Shingo comes in from the bullpen. The feeling was no way the Cubs are going to beat Shingo. He struck out Sosa and the place went crazy.

What a difference a year makes.

PatK
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
don't sprain an ankle making these kinds of ridiculous and premature jumps to conclusions

I'm talking about the Score, not the Sox.

I don't recall the Score having any kind of accuracy when it comes to trade rumors.

Take some of your own advice before the next time you insult someone :redface: