PDA

View Full Version : A polite plea to not boo Maggs tonight.

cheeses_h_rice
07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Please respect what Maggs did for the White Sox organization the past several years and don't boo him when he comes to the plate tonight.

Whatever ill will you may feel toward Maggs for choosing the most evil agent in all of baseball and acting like a complete turd, I don't think it rises to the point where all of Maggs' great play and solid accomplishments should be overlooked.

You don't have to cheer him, but I think it would reflect well on Sox fans as a whole if he wasn't booed. Rise above it. Thanks.

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll be at the game tonight, and I wont be booing. Cmon Sox fans, give him a break.

bennyw41
07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooo

mikesouthside
07-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I had tickets for the series when he first was going to be here. In the back of my mind...(not sure why?) I thought it would be cool if at his first at bat the fans gave him a standing O.......thanks for the years etc. Then at his second at bat...let him have it. HE IS A TIGER NOW.......he went for the money. See ya later.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Please respect what Maggs did for the White Sox organization the past several years and don't boo him when he comes to the plate tonight.

Whatever ill will you may feel toward Maggs for choosing the most evil agent in all of baseball and acting like a complete turd, I don't think it rises to the point where all of Maggs' great play and solid accomplishments should be overlooked.

You don't have to cheer him, but I think it would reflect well on Sox fans as a whole if he wasn't booed. Rise above it. Thanks.

Not just that, but what's the point of booing? Maggs made his choice, and God love him for that, but we have a first place team.

Don't boo him unless you miss him.

SomebodyToldMe
07-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Don't boo Magg$?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SavingTuesday/mrhorse.gif
"No, Sir. I don't like it."

itsnotrequired
07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
I had tickets for the series when he first was going to be here. In the back of my mind...(not sure why?) I thought it would be cool if at his first at bat the fans gave him a standing O.......thanks for the years etc. Then at his second at bat...let him have it. HE IS A TIGER NOW.......he went for the money. See ya later.

I like it. Let him know we appreciate what he did but also let him know that he is no longer on the team.

Baby Fisk
07-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Don't boo Magg$?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SavingTuesday/mrhorse.gif
"No, Sir. I don't like it."
Ha, nice reference. It's like telling Cadet Stimpy not to press the History Eraser Button.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Obstain from booing Maggs? Please. I'd much sooner cheer Jason Giambi. Whatever he earned wearing a White Sox uniform was forgotten ten-fold with actions in the last year of his contract, the $***y way he went about negotiating with a team that owned his rights, the lies he told to his fans in Chicago, and all the cheap shots he's made at our team and our manager since leaving.

Mickster
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I happen to agree w/ PHG in that the biggest insult to Maggs would be complete silence each time his name is announced. However, if I hear cheering? I will boo the **** out of him. :cool:

wxkid23
07-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Im going to take a stab and say that roughly 20% of the fans will boo. I think the majority will keep it in order and just let the game be played. Hopefully Ozzie and Maggs can let the game just be played too.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
:threadsucks

spiffie
07-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I've been drinking tea and honey all day to keep my voice supple and strong so that I can boo as loud and as long as possible every single time that his name is announced.

NSSoxFan
07-18-2005, 03:13 PM
This is rediculous.

Listen, everyone can choose if they want to boo Gagglio or not. I'm sorry but I do understand the reasoning behind why NOT to boo him and I still disagree with it. True, he did do a great job while he was a White Sox and he did it with class. Then 2004 came around and a different, more money hungry Magglio Ordonez arose. It was obvious from the beginning that he wasn't going to be loyal to the Sox, *** would he have hired Boras if he WANTED to come back? I know, myself, I will be booing Magglio tonight. I don't feel like I have to explain myself to anyone, people handle things differently.

Also, I don't feel like I should show respect to Magglio for 'what he did for the Sox'. I ask, what did he do? I don't see any championship flags flying over USCF. I don't see any MVP awards. I don't see any Gold Gloves. I don't see any batting titles. I do remember 3-for-11 during the ALDS in 2000, :rolleyes: . I do remember him saying something to the effect that KW and the White Sox organization is not interested in winning. That, alone, is reason enough to boo this idiot.

BOO HIM GOOD!

Rocklive99
07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
This thread won't influence anyone, I'm not sure I would boo (after all, complete silence would do the trick much better! We dont care!), but you can't deny that Maggs was a complete turd throughout the process, whether or not it was more of his agent talking, he is still a man and should be able to see if he is disrespecting the team that brought him up

Palehose13
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
I happen to agree w/ PHG in that the biggest insult to Maggs would be complete silence each time his name is announced. However, if I hear cheering? I will boo the **** out of him. :cool:

I'm with you 100%. I'll be there Wenesday. I don't plan on booing him, but if people are cheering I will.

CHIsoxNation
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm going to tomorrow's game and I am sure as hell not going to boo. I don't think it's classless to boo, however I feel it is a little disrespectful considering his history with the whitesox. He might not have won a batting title, home run derby, worldseries, or golden glove with the whitesox, but that's not to say he sure as heck didn't try.

Up until all of the controversy beginning last year, Magglio was so highly respected and loved by the fans in Chicago. That past few years, Maggs was the face of the Chicago White Sox and worked his *** off day in and day out to bring a championship back to the southside. I respect him for that. I may disagree with a lot of the things he had said this past offseason, but that is over and done with and the 2005 Chicago WhiteSox are playing the best team in the majors right now.

I will not cheer for his offseason antics nor his feud with Ozzie. However I will cheer for the excitement he brought to White Sox baseball for the past several years.

Foulke You
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I predict mixed cheers and boos tonight when he comes to the plate. I will give Maggs some cheers for his first AB. The guy gave us 5 great years and I will aknowledge it. After that, he is a Tiger now and the cheering stops from me.

Jerko
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/chris_berman.jpg
"You know those classless White Sox fans will boo Magglio. I mean, they even booed Kerry Woods and Markie Pryor at the ASG, let alone their own manager."

SoxEd
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Now, clearly I won't be there, but my take on "to boo, or not to boo?" is this:

If he hadn't been such a jerk last year, then would KW have had the means to retool the Sox to this year's model?

In some ways, Magglio's gr££d has given us the 2005 Sox. Is there any way the fans could thank him for it?

How must it feel to be him, sitting on the stellar Tigers, having to watch your old team post the best record in all of baseball?

Thankyou for making this year possible, Mr Ordoñez...

balke
07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Although at this point I don't care, and Maggs can do whatever he wants in his life, I think I'd boo if I was there. (Still might go, but its getting close... probably not).

Maggs deserved a good booing, and although the passion of hate is gone... I don't see the big deal in booing him now. He sucks, made up a bunch of crap about the Sox, denied our doctors to look at his knee, went to the same division as the Sox for more cash. He's a wiener, and I definitely don't wish him the best.

CHIsoxNation
07-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I believe he has done more good then harm to this ball club. For that I will not boo him.

PennStater98r
07-18-2005, 04:01 PM
I won't be there, but if I were - I'd boo. I think he misled fans and peers. Getting with Bora$ was rotten.

balke
07-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Well since most people here have a hate for the Cubs let me remind you all he was alledgedly ready to head North to stick it to this organization. IMO Detroit is just as bad. I never really liked Maggs. He stole 14 million his last season here IMO, and wouldn't sign back with this club that he started with even though he was offered a nice fat contract.

The Dude
07-18-2005, 04:14 PM

Honestly, do you think a thread like this will matter? No offense to cheese, but I wont even bother reading another one of these threads regarding booing.
Magglio will be booed and booed royaly. Now does that mean it's the right and just thing? Not necessarily..... but I can guarantee Magglio will be booed for his horrible and brutal exit from the Southside into Borassland and that will overshadow any good he had done for us in the past.

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 04:16 PM

Honestly, do you think a thread like this will matter? No offense to cheese, but I wont even bother reading another one of these threads regarding booing.
Magglio will be booed and booed royaly. Now does that mean it's the right and just thing? Not necessarily..... but I can guarantee Magglio will be booed for his horrible and brutal exit from the Southside into Borassland and that will overshadow any good he had done for us in the past.

If posting messages at this site were a matter of relevance to the ball club the site would be blank. It is here for our entertainment.

A_ROW33
07-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Honestly I do not care if you boo magglio or not, but as fans it is our responsibility to cheer our own players. Plus it would be more of a dig into maggs if we tire our voices by cheering Willie Harris rather than booing him.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I predict mixed cheers and boos tonight when he comes to the plate. I will give Maggs some cheers for his first AB. The guy gave us 5 great years and I will aknowledge it. After that, he is a Tiger now and the cheering stops from me.

I am thinking he will get a nice ovation. The majority of the crowd tonight will be casual fans who will appreciate what Maggs did as a Sox.

balke
07-18-2005, 04:29 PM
I am thinking he will get a nice ovation. The majority of the crowd tonight will be casual fans who will appreciate what Maggs did as a Sox.

Like hitting .187 or whatever it was in the playoffs? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :redface:

He really didn't do much for us. Best thing he could've done was stay, and get traded for some actual talent. When people talk about players trying to fill out their stat-line.. he's one of the first players I think of. How did the sox have so many great players with such great #'s in the middle of the order, and not win a freakin playoff series? It boggles my mind.

White Sox Randy
07-18-2005, 04:31 PM
#*&$$@ YOU and #&%$ JAGGS TOO !!!!!!!!!!

Tragg
07-18-2005, 04:42 PM

I agree.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
#*&$$@ YOU and #&%$ JAGGS TOO !!!!!!!!!!

****house...

Lip Man 1
07-18-2005, 05:17 PM
For what it's worth Bill Melton said he thinks Sox fans will not boo Magglio because they will remember the seven years when he played hard and produced for the team.

Lip

Mr. White Sox
07-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I also hope we don't boo him. It's an argument between him and the manager, and it seems to have blown over somewhat. We as fans shouldn't get involved in something we don't know too much about. What we do know is that Maggs was an outstanding player on the Sox for many years, and was the epitome of the great player that never got recognized in the majors. Good luck to him...we don't need to cheer him or anything, but yeah, please don't boo him.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
****house...

Any post saying not to boo Magg$ belongs there as well.

scottjanssens
07-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Booing would put one on par with Philadelphia fans in general, just as throwing crap onto the field would put one on par with Cleveland fans. Cheer once (or don't) for Maggs. But cheer even louder for Dye.

GoGoSoxReborn
07-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I have tickets for tommorrow nights game, and I am still unsure if I will boo him or not. I hated the way he acted this off season, but enjoyed watching him on the field. Still its pretty hard to just say "water under the bridge." The Sox being 61-29 helps move on though.

wsbaseball9
07-18-2005, 08:55 PM

why does it suck?
honestly explain yourself at least a little bit after using the most ove rsued tag on this site...the title of the thread is 'politley asking...'
why cant we all be polite towards each other...we're all sox fans and for all the same cause and maggs was here you loved him becauses he was a great hitter in his time here...i hear people talk about dick allen still on this site...dick allen was here three years, maggs was here way longer...he is a chicago son he came up with the sox theres no reason to boo the guy, if i had ticks i would cheer him...i was upset when things got so messed up between us all, cant we all just pull a hansel--zoolander and be fine with him?

StockdaleForVeep
07-18-2005, 09:45 PM

If he hits a three run bomb to win the game, do you suggest we sit there calmly and enjoy it? If i dont like a player on an opposin team i will Boo, he's not a member of this team, so we have no allegiance to him. Just like i did not cheer on keith foulke when he left this team, who cares if untill his last season he was good, unless you personally like him thats your business, but sox fans should have no allegiance to him or any past player who is not on the team anymore

cheeses_h_rice
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
If he hits a three run bomb to win the game, do you suggest we sit there calmly and enjoy it? If i dont like a player on an opposin team i will Boo, he's not a member of this team, so we have no allegiance to him. Just like i did not cheer on keith foulke when he left this team, who cares if untill his last season he was good, unless you personally like him thats your business, but sox fans should have no allegiance to him or any past player who is not on the team anymore

You're right. No matter what a player did for our team, no matter how much pleasure he gave us Sox fans for 6 years, just toss him out like yesterday's trash the second he ceases to be a White Sox. No memories, no loyalties, no allegiances.

That's a great attitude to have.

:rolleyes:

munchman33
07-19-2005, 12:22 AM
You're right. No matter what a player did for our team, no matter how much pleasure he gave us Sox fans for 6 years, just toss him out like yesterday's trash the second he ceases to be a White Sox. No memories, no loyalties, no allegiances.

Magglio tried to run the name of the organization, our general manager, and our manager, all so he could earn a few extra dollars. Come off it, cheeses.

LuvSox
07-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Some people don't care what he did to the Sox:

FedEx227
07-19-2005, 12:39 AM
those people were at the section next to me during the game..

anyone in the section where the Magglio is a Fagglio sign got taken, what an injustice!

n.

A student at a British public school who is required to perform menial tasks for a student in a higher class.
A drudge.

Chiefly British. Fatiguing or tedious work; drudgery.
v. fagged, ***·ging, ****
v. intr.

To work to exhaustion; toil.
To function as the servant of another student in a British public school.
v. tr. To exhaust; weary: Four hours on the tennis court fagged me out.

whats so bad about exhaustion? :rolleyes:

balke
07-19-2005, 12:39 AM
The mix of boos and cheers is exactly what it should've been. Maggs never won anything for the Sox, if he did he'd get cheered. He made a horrible exit, and wasted a lot of our money last season. Yeah, he was good and played for the Sox for a long time, but he's not going up on any wall anytime soon.

FedEx227
07-19-2005, 12:42 AM
I totally agree, had he won us a world championship, won us ANYTHING then yes he would deserve all of his credit, but from my standpoint, all he was, was a stat-filler, he had great HR numbers, great RBI numbers, but was never a true team leader, never spoke out, never took this team on his back...

plus hes a Tiger, why shouldn't we boo him?

I booed and I don't feel bad, I thought about giving him silence, but since some idiots cheered him (even when he made outs against the Sox which I don't understand), I felt the need to drown the cheers out with boos.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 01:12 AM

anyone in the section where the Magglio is a Fagglio sign got taken, what an injustice!

n.

A student at a British public school who is required to perform menial tasks for a student in a higher class.
A drudge.

v. intr.

I'm exhausted with bull**** like this. You know damn well why it got taken.

Posts like this don't exactly make me (happy).

SomebodyToldMe
07-19-2005, 01:21 AM

n.

A drudge.

v. intr.

Not to mention a bundle of sticks as well as a cigarette.

JB98
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
I was at the game tonight, and I booed Magg$. He's a Tiger now, and I hope he enjoys his millions of dollars and all the losing in Detroit. I don't feel obliged to show him any loyalty or appreciation. I refuse to cheer opposing players. I'm at the game to root for the White Sox, and Magg$ is no longer with the Sox.

BarbG
07-19-2005, 03:35 AM
No memories, no loyalties, no allegiances.

Yes. That's EXACTLY the attitute MAGGLIO has displayed. The Sox and especially the fans took the high road last year until pushed to the absolute breaking point of common human decency.

Greed, dishonesty, selfishness, more greed, extremely shady, highly questionable tactics and disloyalty aren't characteristics I admire or cheer for.

I'll be booing on Wednesday.

StockdaleForVeep
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM

I forget, what did he do for us? What did his glorious work ethic and talent get us? Nothing but greed, he left because of money. Hell he even said he'd wanna be a cub because he wanted to stay in chicago, you support that? Thats a great attitude he has

Baby Fisk
07-19-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm glad he got his disloyal ass booed.

cheeses_h_rice
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
I forget, what did he do for us? What did his glorious work ethic and talent get us? Nothing but greed, he left because of money. Hell he even said he'd wanna be a cub because he wanted to stay in chicago, you support that? Thats a great attitude he has

Maggs played hard, for the most part, during his tenure with the White Sox, and he was one of the few reasons to remain proud of our team during that time.

Of course I was disappointed to see him switch to Bora$ and get hit with the greed bug. But I hope that you might see the situation a bit from Maggs' standpoint, too. Perhaps he was panic-stricken and angry at his injury, perhaps he had Bora$ whispering sweet nothings in his ear about how much money he could make. Who knows. That's a human failing on his part, one which does NOT overshadow his solid play while a White Sox for so many years.

spiffie
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I booed long and loud, trying to get $75 million worth of booing in at once.

Sounded from my seat like a lot more boos than cheers when he came up, which made me very happy. There are some players who I will give a polite round of applause to when they return because they didn't rip the organization as they left. I would have applauded for Jose Valentin had he been playing when the Dodgers came. Next year I'll give Carlos Lee a round of applause. But Magg$? No chance.

FedEx227
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm exhausted with bull**** like this. You know damn well why it got taken.

Posts like this don't exactly make me (happy).

...clearly I was joking, judging by the smilies with rolling eyes, and the gross naive-ness I would have displayed.

RetireWoodys28
07-19-2005, 05:44 PM
"He f----d with the wrong guy." -Ozzie

I never booed Robin Ventura or Harold Baines or anyone else who I loved in a Sox uniform, whenever they came back to town weaing a different uniform. I still cheer Tony Graffanino whenever I see him, and I would cheer for Carlos Lee too. But after what went down back in April?

Last night, I was the guy above the Bullpen Bar yelling, "Oh-EEE-Oh! Ver-PAID!"

StockdaleForVeep
07-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Maggs played hard, for the most part, during his tenure with the White Sox, and he was one of the few reasons to remain proud of our team during that time.

Of course I was disappointed to see him switch to Bora$ and get hit with the greed bug. But I hope that you might see the situation a bit from Maggs' standpoint, too. Perhaps he was panic-stricken and angry at his injury, perhaps he had Bora$ whispering sweet nothings in his ear about how much money he could make. Who knows. That's a human failing on his part, one which does NOT overshadow his solid play while a White Sox for so many years.

Do you also disagree with fans in seattle boo'in a-rod and throwing fake dollar bills on the field when he returned to seattle as a ranger?

Point is he claimed he was loyal, how he wanted to stay with the team that drafted him. Apparently money is more powerful than loyalty, esp when he stated he'd go to the cubs to stay in chicago.