PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea . . .

Duck Snort
07-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Since the Giants are now all but out of the picture, how about McCarthy, Vizcaino & Harris to the Giants for Vizquel & Eyre?

Reasoning:
Vizquel's a proven vet who can swing the bat (from both sides) and play a damn good SS. We hang on to Uribe so he can be the utility guy he was originally acquired to be (could play third that way if Crede's injury is more than we think).

Vizcaino I think is expendable . . . more so than Shingo at least, because he was integral in luring Guch here, and I don't want to do anything to upset the way he's playing (remember, don't hurt the chemistry).

Eyre's a quality lefty out of the pen, who's familiar with the Sox, and has WS experience, which we could use come post-season to compliment Cotts and Marte, considering our only lefty starter is Buehrle.

Since we only need 3-4 starters post-season, here's our staff:
Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
El Duque (if needed)
Bullpen:
Cotts (L) & Contreras (R) - Long relief
Shingo (R) & Eyre (L) - Middle relief
Marte (L) & Pollite (R) - Set Up
Hermanson (R) - Closer

Now, that's balance and depth . . . g'luck to the AL stopping that . . . and the real beauty of the deal, we upgrade without really jostling the chemistry.

Randar68
07-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Since the Giants are now all but out of the picture, how about McCarthy, Vizcaino & Harris to the Giants for Vizquel & Eyre?

Wow, are you some kind of San Fran Crack Addict? A top prospect, a veteran bullpen arm and bench player for a 40 year old SS with an unattractive contract and a borderline releiver?

This would be the worst trade in organizational history at the time of the deal...

Talk about dumb...:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

bennyw41
07-18-2005, 01:31 PM

Reasoning:
Vizquel's a proven vet who can swing the bat (from both sides) and play a damn good SS. We hang on to Uribe so he can be the utility guy he was originally acquired to be (could play third that way if Crede's injury is more than we think).

Vizcaino I think is expendable . . . more so than Shingo at least, because he was integral in luring Guch here, and I don't want to do anything to upset the way he's playing (remember, don't hurt the chemistry).

Eyre's a quality lefty out of the pen, who's familiar with the Sox, and has WS experience, which we could use come post-season to compliment Cotts and Marte, considering our only lefty starter is Buehrle.

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
El Duque (if needed)
Bullpen:
Hermanson (R) - Closer

Now, that's balance and depth . . . g'luck to the AL stopping that . . . and the real beauty of the deal, we upgrade without really jostling the chemistry.

Uhhh....no.

Duck Snort
07-18-2005, 02:14 PM
A top prospect, a veteran bullpen arm and bench player for a 40 year old SS with an unattractive contract and a borderline releiver?

A top prospect (correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time a Sox pitching "Top prospect" has actually panned out, were the days of Black Jack, Alvarez & Fernandez . . . and McCarthy, heralded for his "control" has had everything but in his brief, unimpressive stint) Sorry, I'm playing for this year.

"Veteran" bullpen arm as compared to the "borderline" reliever:
A.) has no big game, i.e. playoff, experience
B.) gave up the same number of ER in April (11) as Eyre has all year
C.) sports a 4.38 ERA as opposed to a 2.48 one in comparable innings pitched
D.) and for being a "veteran" arm, its interesting that he has less career innings pitched than that "borderline" reliever

Finally, the "40 yr old with the unattractive contract" . . . is really, a 37 yr. old, who has a 3 yr. $12 mil. deal (not bad for these days esp. when compared with Uribe's 3 yr. $10 mil. deal), has a better OBP than anyone on the Sox aside from Pods, and most importantly, provides the vital left handed bat we need to make this last push while also providing some insurance in the infield if Crede goes down.

If this would be the "worst trade in organizational history at the time of the deal," I'd love to hear your take on the Todd Ritchie for Sean Lowe, Kip Wells, & Josh Fogg deal and/or the Billy Koch for Keith Foulke, etc. deal.

Randar68
07-18-2005, 02:17 PM
A top prospect (correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time a Sox pitching "Top prospect" has actually panned out, were the days of Black Jack, Alvarez & Fernandez . . . and McCarthy, heralded for his "control" has had everything but in his brief, unimpressive stint)

:chickenlittle
"Trade the Farm! Everything Must Go! We won't be undersold!"

I didn't say I would be totally against trading anyone in general, just that for the package you mentioned, it would take a couple middling prospects and that's pretty-much it, not a top prospect and 2 major-league contributors.

Then again, if you feel we should overpay just to do so, because we want to win this year, there's a reason you're posting on a message board about a crap idea like that.

SOXfnNlansing
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM

Reasoning:

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
El Duque (if needed)
Bullpen:
Hermanson (R) - Closer

Now, that's balance and depth . . . g'luck to the AL stopping that . . . and the real beauty of the deal, we upgrade without really jostling the chemistry.:dtroll:

Duck Snort
07-18-2005, 02:23 PM
gotcha . . . hey, if you think we can get them for less, I'm all for it . . . guess I was looking at it too much as a chance to clear up the roster space in the process too . . .

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 02:45 PM
****house time...

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
McCarthy had good control while he was here. Threw the ball right over the middle. And it got hit.

A_ROW33
07-18-2005, 03:36 PM
A top prospect (correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time a Sox pitching "Top prospect" has actually panned out, were the days of Black Jack, Alvarez & Fernandez . . .

If you are saying a high draft pick by the sox I believe you are right, however they did add a prospect via trade by the name of Jon Garland who came through the sox minor league system, so I count him as having been a sox prospect... I think he's won a few games this year. The sox also picked a guy by the name of Mark Buehrle in the 30 something round one year and after coming through the system he seems to have done pretty well.

Taliesinrk
07-18-2005, 04:35 PM

Reasoning:

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
El Duque (if needed)
Bullpen:
Hermanson (R) - Closer

Now don't get me wrong.. I love your name, but that whole thing was in teal right??

Tragg
07-18-2005, 05:22 PM

I happen to think that Eyre is a pretty decent pitcher, so if we trade Marte I'd do 1/3 of that deal: Harris or Vizcaino for Eyre.

rowand33
07-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd wouldn't mind Eyre.

lefty.

2-1 with a 2.48 ERA this year, .185 BAA (.196 vs. lefties, .177 vs. righties) over 40.1 innings.

5-5 with 2 saves and a 3.55 ERA in 170 IP as a reliever over the last 3 years. Righties have eaten him up with a .293 BAA over the last three years, but he's doing good this year, and has a .219 vs. lefties.

if we could get him for cheap, I'd take him.

I don't want Vizquel because Vizquel didn't want us.