PDA

View Full Version : Sox & ESPN Page 2, You Take It From Here....

LuvSox
07-18-2005, 01:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/050718

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Find the Sox's last Joe Torre, Jerry Manuel. Ask him.

enough said

ode to veeck
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
for all the dressing up with local quotes and talk of "the Cove", its wayyy to pessimistic, throw it in the fireplace where it belongs ...

tacosalbarojas
07-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Scoop is a Sox fan? Funny I've been reading him for ten years on hoops and on page two and I never knew. The fact that he's quoting from Willie Harris' hat should tell us all we need to know.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Man I hate to admit it, I thought it was pretty good and accurate even though I am doing everything in my power to "enjoy the moement". J. Hood's quote was perfect, just perfect.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2005, 01:47 PM
for all the dressing up with local quotes and talk of "the Cove", its wayyy to pessimistic, throw it in the fireplace where it belongs ...

But aren't we pessimistic as a group? Anytime the Cubs win 4 games in a row their fans all jump on the World Series express. That ain't us. But let's NOT make this a Cubs-Sox thing, just proving a point.

Is that Cove a great place for a game? I have no clue being based in the NW burbs.

Baby Fisk
07-18-2005, 01:51 PM
WHITE SOX BASEBALL: We'll Believe It When We See It.

Tekijawa
07-18-2005, 01:51 PM
"It Means that Buehrle and Garland can no longer be called the Poor Man's Wood and Prior"

Never thought of it that way? I always pictured it as Wood and Prior Being a Rich Man's Jason Bere and Kevin Brown.

Frank the Tank
07-18-2005, 01:56 PM
What a worthless article. What else can one expect from a man named Scoop?

ZachAL
07-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Is that Cove a great place for a game? I have no clue being based in the NW burbs.

Being a former U of C Lab kid I have hung out around/do hang out around hyde park quite a bit. I laughed quite loud when I saw the mention of The Cove. To be honest I myself have not gone inside, but i've been outside quite a bit. A lot of my friends used to go for the cheap cheap brews, its not really the nicest place though, and I don't know if it's that big of a sox bar, but I guess it's worth a shot now.

Sxy Mofo
07-18-2005, 02:02 PM
What a worthless article. What else can one expect from a man named Scoop?

He's a basketball writer, black-man power type of guy. Not sure why he's writing articles on baseball.

kojak
07-18-2005, 02:03 PM
What a LOAD of tripe!! I just had to fire off an email to this latest mediot:

"We have spent the entire baseball season being ignored by EastSPN and now THIS article is how we get some pub? I can understand where you are coming from, but quite frankly this is what I would expect from a Cub fan.

This season is one for the ages. Where one of our own builds a team for the postseaon and proceeds to manage the hell out of it to get it there- to win there. The 2001 Mariners? Are you serious?? Have you been watching for the last 90 games?

It is fatalism like this that fuels the media stereotype of the Sox and what it means to be a fan. It is a shame that writing like this is what it takes to get a mention for the Best Team in Baseball.

But I prefer to be under the radar. Because when the champaign is flowing in October, we can tell all of the mediots that there is a line forming at the corner of State & Madison, so they better start puckering.

peeonwrigley
07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
"It Means that Buehrle and Garland can no longer be called the Poor Man's Wood and Prior"

Never thought of it that way? I always pictured it as Wood and Prior Being a Rich Man's Jason Bere and Kevin Brown.

:redneck

zach23
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't think this article is that far off base. I can't speak for everyone, but I think most of the diehard Sox fans that have followed this team for decades are enjoying this success but still feel a bit nervous that it could all end in disappointment in October. I think we all realize that just making the playoffs isn't enough.

I still feel the same sick feeling in my stomach today that I felt in 1983 when I think of Tito Landrum hitting that ball into the upperdeck in left field. That Sox team should have gone to the World Series and didn't. I still feel the same pain thinking about the Toronto hitters hammering Jack McDowell in 1993 as if the ball was on a tee for them. And I still ache thinking about all the pop ups and non existent offense in the 2000 ALDS, when a base hit could have gotten some rallies going for the Sox in those games.

I am enjoying this ride like no other season I have ever witnessed since I started following them in 1972, but I won't talk about the World Series until the last out is made in the ALCS and the Sox are celebrating on the field.
I think being a Sox fan is similar to being the character Tantalus from Greek Mythology. He was placed in water up to his neck with fruit hanging above his head. He was thirsty and starving, but if he bent down to drink the water it would recede, and if he reached for the fruit the wind would blow the branches higher. I think that sums up how it has felt to follow the Sox for 30+ years, they sometimes get so close, but then it gets pulled away from us. I hope this year there is a happy ending.

fram40
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Well put, Zach23.

rwcescato
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Man I hate to admit it, I thought it was pretty good and accurate even though I am doing everything in my power to "enjoy the moement". J. Hood's quote was perfect, just perfect.

I have thrown thre pessimism away. There is no way this team will choke the division. Istill need to see a home playoff win and a series win or I will be disappointed. World Series or bust.
Rich

peeonwrigley
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
The biggest flaw of the article is that it perpetuates the myth that Sox fans don't exist outside of Cook County, and south of Roosevelt within the city.

I've always assumed Scoop Jackson was a south side guy. He should know as well as anyone its not just Bridgeport residents filling the stadium (sorry, half-filling.)

Obviously with a season like this Sox bandwagon jumping will be in full form. However, in my previous places of residence in Ottawa, Bloomington, and Champaign, I've seen plenty of Sox paraphonalia in down years.

HebrewHammer
07-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Scoop Jackson has always been a human fire alarm when it came to basketball and I wish he'd just stay away from the White Sox.

This is the kind of ballclub we've been wanting for decades, now its here, lets enjoy it.

Steakpita
07-18-2005, 03:46 PM
The more press, the better.

hold2dibber
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
This is the kind of ballclub we've been wanting for decades, now its here, lets enjoy it.

You're completely right - but I don't think anything in the articles is to the contrary. I mean, I for one am trying like hell to just enjoy the ride right now. But as a life-long Sox fan, that's not easy to do. As my Dad says, the best he can muster, after so much dissappointment over a lifetime, is cautious pessismism instead of the normal full-blown pessimism. I'm not expecting the worst at this point, but nor can I expect the best. It's just not in my blood.

FielderJones
07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
It means that Buehrle and Garland can no longer be the poor man's Wood and Prior in this city.

:rolling: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#):roflmao: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
Stop it! You're killing me!

Not that we've been here before with this squad, but we've been here before with this squad.

:roflmao: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#):roflmao: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=5#)
I can't breathe!!

Um, we haven't been anywhere with this squad yet, Scoop. It's a brand new squad, playing a brand new style of baseball. Stick to basketball, it's a sport you at least know something about.

riverside marked as a troll again
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
"It means Scott Podsednik cannot fall off his first-half MVP-caliber performance."

MVP.....? how can he be having an MVP first-half.....I mean if your the MVP at the half i think maybe you would be starter on the allstar team.......but no I guess an MVP is a player that plays the outfield for one inning in the allstar game....

buehrle4cy05
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM
MVP.....? how can he be having an MVP first-half.....I mean if your the MVP at the half i think maybe you would be starter on the allstar team.......but no I guess an MVP is a player that plays the outfield for one inning in the allstar game....

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

If you haven't noticed...without Scotty we aren't the same team. We finally have a legit leadoff hitter who easily could be the MVP if it wasn't for the mediots on the East coast.

P.S. change your font size.

hold2dibber
07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
"It means Scott Podsednik cannot fall off his first-half MVP-caliber performance."

I agree that Pods is not the first half MVP. But that has nothing to do with what happens at the All-Star Game. Hell, Thomas has had several MVP-caliber seasons when he didn't even make the All-Star team.

RichFitztightly
07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I've been waiting for this article to pop it's head up on the threads here. The article in itself isn't terrible. Some of the quotes by "Sox fans" seem to be chosen to fit the stereotype of Sox fans, however it's not a good representation of Sox fans on this site, therefore it's going to be bashed. Maybe deservedly so.

The only qualm I have with the article is about naming the Smokey Bones on Ridgeland as a good place to watch a game. Assuming it's the same Smokey Bones that's 50 feet from my house, it's been closed for about a month now.

MushMouth
07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I've been waiting for this article to pop it's head up on the threads here. The article in itself isn't terrible. Some of the quotes by "Sox fans" seem to be chosen to fit the stereotype of Sox fans, however it's not a good representation of Sox fans on this site, therefore it's going to be bashed. Maybe deservedly so.

The only qualm I have with the article is about naming the Smokey Bones on Ridgeland as a good place to watch a game. Assuming it's the same Smokey Bones that's 50 feet from my house, it's been closed for about a month now.

I'm with you - I don't have a problem with the article. Personally, I think this is a different team, but Scoop is a Sox fan and has a right to have trepidation at the rest of the season. Hell, nobody really knows what is going to happen, and its not like we have a bunch of positive years to look back on... AND he threw a shout-out to the Cove, I regularly hit that spot when I lived on 53rd/Cornell for a few years. Stiff drinks, Sox games and a crazy clientele. Good stuff.

woodenleg
07-18-2005, 04:47 PM
The biggest flaw of the article is that it perpetuates the myth that Sox fans don't exist outside of Cook County, and south of Roosevelt within the city.

I've always assumed Scoop Jackson was a south side guy. He should know as well as anyone its not just Bridgeport residents filling the stadium (sorry, half-filling.)

Obviously with a season like this Sox bandwagon jumping will be in full form. However, in my previous places of residence in Ottawa, Bloomington, and Champaign, I've seen plenty of Sox paraphonalia in down years.

The Sox seem to have "colonies" in certain places. I'm not sure why - probably because south siders have re-located there, and then other friends and family have, etc.

Go to some other places, and you'll still see NO Sox hats.

Even when I go up to Door County, I never see a Sox hat. But then I'll go to some nowhere place and see three of them in one day.

Stretch
07-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Pure genius

Lip Man 1
07-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Zach 23:

Well said. I am enjoying the season...I'll enjoy it more when the Sox get at least a playoff series win in October.

According to many on this site, how good you are during the regular season means nothing in the playoffs, especially the first round, a short series.

If the Sox can get by round one, they are a definite threat to go all the way...the trick will be to get by that first round. Personally I think they will play the Yankees and on any given night Johnson can terminate anyone. We'll see.

Lip

elrod
07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Stop fooling yourselves, people, this article was dead on. How many people complain about running a Twins game thread in mid-game? How many people here get upset when somebody dares to ask who the playoff rotation will be, or whether or not we'll win 110 games? How many people here assumed after the Oakland series that the Sox would start the second half heading down a big losing streak? Take a glance at this site after any White Sox loss and it's nothing but anger, frustration and fear. Even the "It' don't matter post-game" posts have an air of irony about them. We are extreme pessimists, even if we enjoy every single game. Me, I worry about every game, regardless of the opponent, and don't celebrate until the final out. Then I am giddy as all get out that they win, until I start thinking about the next game. On absolutely no occasion this year did I look at the schedule and declare, with full certainty to myself, that the White Sox would dominate. Not even against the Devil Rays or the Royals. It's not that the White Sox haven't earned the right to be entitled to confidence, it's that as a White Sox fan I've seen the bottom fall out too many times. Scoop Jackson was dead right. And I shudder thinking about October and playing for the World Series. I just can't even let myself envision it.

elrod
07-18-2005, 05:28 PM
The Sox seem to have "colonies" in certain places. I'm not sure why - probably because south siders have re-located there, and then other friends and family have, etc.

Go to some other places, and you'll still see NO Sox hats.

Even when I go up to Door County, I never see a Sox hat. But then I'll go to some nowhere place and see three of them in one day.

I did see a few Sox hats near South Bend, Indiana yesterday, and I saw a couple in Baltimore and Washington, DC. Not many, just a few. I wore my hat and got lots of, "Man, the Sox are great this year." My neighbors, most of them Cub fans (with two big exceptions) always mention how great the Sox are playing, knowing how much of a fan I am.

kojak
07-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Geez, if this Scoop Jackson mediot is speaking for all Sox fans, then I sure as hell must be in the wrong place. I thought Cub fans were the ones who wallowed in their own self-pitying pathetic dark cloud. But from the sounds of the previous posts, maybe it is just "a Chicago thing".

Maybe there are such a thing as Whine Sox fans. And what a total bummer that realization is...

MarySwiss
07-18-2005, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=woodenleg]The Sox seem to have "colonies" in certain places. I'm not sure why - probably because south siders have re-located there, and then other friends and family have, etc. QUOTE]

Well, I've always maintained--sometimes to the point of being committed--that there are actually more Sox fans in the world than Cubs fans. Thing is, as you guys know, Sox fans are not like Cubs fans--pardon me, Wrigley Field fans--that year in, year out, against all reason, think this is THEIR YEAR.

We are Sox fans. So we are realists. But we never go away. We are truly diehard. We will always be Sox fans, win or lose. And this IS our year.

Arizona sight seen: folks at local grocery store wearing Sox hats.
Arizona sight seen: a guy at the local sports bar wearing one of those Sox newspaper T-Shirts.

This is in Tempe, Arizona, gang. Tempe is right next door to Mesa, long considered a bastion of Cubs fans. (Not that your average Cubs fans could define--or even spell--"bastion.")

So it's not about pessimism. It's about realism. And realistically, we have the pitching, the defense, the 'small ball" offense, and the power when we need it.

And another thing. I was here when the D'Backs took down the Yanks in 2001. There is nothing that compares with the thrill of winning a World Series. Unless it's the thrill of beating the Yankees. And the Sox have the potential to do both.

GO SOX!!

:gulp:

UofCSoxFan
07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Ok...so I live a block and a half from the Cove...and I nearly choked when I saw him mention it. I have gone there many a Thursday night for a 6 buck pitcher of Miller Light. Yet, I have NEVER thought of it as a Sox bar. Yes, it is on the South Side, and yes they have the game on there, but other than that it's really just a dive in the wall. Although Scoop does describe it well concerning the diversity of the clientel. Yet, I kinda resent the fact that he labels U of C students as "ultra-rich." I mean yes I am better off than many people in the area comparably, but I am a broke college student on financial aid....the reason I am drinking at the Cove in the first place.

Regardless of the press...unless you are in the area do not make a trip to check this place out...you will be disappointed. It is a dive, no different than any other dive. I'm not saying I don't appreciate a good dive every now and then, but it isn't anything special.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 02:17 AM

Nice post.

zach23
07-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Geez, if this Scoop Jackson mediot is speaking for all Sox fans, then I sure as hell must be in the wrong place. I thought Cub fans were the ones who wallowed in their own self-pitying pathetic dark cloud. But from the sounds of the previous posts, maybe it is just "a Chicago thing".

Maybe there are such a thing as Whine Sox fans. And what a total bummer that realization is...

I don't think it is whining or dark cloud behaviour, it is more like a fear of the unknown. I don't think there are any Sox fans left alive that know what it feels like to see the team win it all.
I don't think there are many doubters left as far as the Sox making the postseason, and I would bet most of the longtime fans are even pretty confident this team has what it takes to make some noise in the playoffs. I know I do. But people who have followed this team for decades have sometimes felt like they were Wiley E. Coyote, watching their hopes get blown to bits just when they thought it was finally THE year.
Whining and dark cloud behaviour would be people worrying about losing the division to the Twins at this point. This is only people wanting to see and feel some postseason success before they can exhale and feel a little comfortable about the Sox getting to the place we have all been waiting so looooong for them to reach.
I am going to keep enjoying this as much as I can. It is going by so fast now and it is hard to believe there are only 71 games left in the season. Last night I stopped and listened as Nancy paused during "Na Na Hey Hey" to hear the huge crowd all singing it in unison. It gave me flashbacks to the old park in 1977 and 1983 when I would hear the same thing and get chills. This whole thing is special and the story has been great, I am just hoping and praying this is finally the year that the end of the story leaves us all happy.

gobears1987
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I love the Ozzie quote about just worrying about winning.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok...so I live a block and a half from the Cove...and I nearly choked when I saw him mention it. I have gone there many a Thursday night for a 6 buck pitcher of Miller Light. Yet, I have NEVER thought of it as a Sox bar. Yes, it is on the South Side, and yes they have the game on there, but other than that it's really just a dive in the wall. Although Scoop does describe it well concerning the diversity of the clientel. Yet, I kinda resent the fact that he labels U of C students as "ultra-rich." I mean yes I am better off than many people in the area comparably, but I am a broke college student on financial aid....the reason I am drinking at the Cove in the first place.

Regardless of the press...unless you are in the area do not make a trip to check this place out...you will be disappointed. It is a dive, no different than any other dive. I'm not saying I don't appreciate a good dive every now and then, but it isn't anything special.

Man, inflation must have hit the cove. Back when i was at the U of C (only 3 years since I have left) the cove had $4 pitchers on thursday. The best part is that they only had a limited number of pitchers, so that led to pitcher thievery and/or bringing your own in.

It is just a whole in the wall, and I've never tought of it as a sox bar. Glad to see it in the national media though