PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone Brings up a good point...

ukigdog
07-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Steve Stone brought up a good point today on the score. All of the teams that we may face in the playoffs have predominately right handed arms to close out games:

Yankees: sturtz, gordon, rivera
Boston: timlin, schilling, foulke??
Anaheim: Shields, Donnelly, KRod
Minnesota: nathan, their setup men

He thinks we need to first of all get Gload up here for that left handed bat late in games in a clutch situation against these teams right handed releivers. I think we may not only need gload but maybe make a move for another lefty somehow, cause this fact scares me looking at the possible teams we may face in the postseason and how their end of game pitchers are righties.

What do you guys think?

SOXSINCE'70
07-18-2005, 01:23 PM
To paraphrase John Lennon (and I am a Beatles fan),
"All I am saying.....is give Ross a chance".:D: :D:

samram
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't think there's any way Gload isn't on the playoff roster. Plus, I have to say it (oh, it hurts), but Timo has done a good job pinch-hitting this year. That said, if Timo isn't on the team come playoff time, that's still OK with me.

Brian26
07-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Steve Stone brought up a good point today on the score. All of the teams that we may face in the playoffs have predominately right handed arms to close out games......their end of game pitchers are righties.

What do you guys think?

Doesn't matter much when the other team doesn't have any runs in the 9th inning due to our kick-ass starting core. :D:

TimChamp
07-18-2005, 01:51 PM
If only Gload could play 3rd base then it would be so much easier...

--Champ out

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Gload will be here soon, guaranteed. Obviously Kenny is working on some moves. Once the moves shake out, someone will be cut and Ross will be up getting ready for the postseason.

bigdommer
07-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Steve Stone brought up a good point today on the score. All of the teams that we may face in the playoffs have predominately right handed arms to close out games:

Yankees: sturtz, gordon, rivera
Boston: timlin, schilling, foulke??
Anaheim: Shields, Donnelly, KRod
Minnesota: nathan, their setup men

He thinks we need to first of all get Gload up here for that left handed bat late in games in a clutch situation against these teams right handed releivers. I think we may not only need gload but maybe make a move for another lefty somehow, cause this fact scares me looking at the possible teams we may face in the postseason and how their end of game pitchers are righties.

What do you guys think?

I think Stoney is a smart guy, but this whole lefty/righty thing is overdone, and misleading.

Rivera is tougher on lefties because of his cutter (righties hit .240 compared to just .208 for lefties).

For the past two years, Schilling has been tougher on lefties than righties because his splitter is tougher on lefties.

This year, righties have hit and slugged significantly better against Nathan than lefties. Once again, the cutter.

Gordon is the same on righties as lefties.

The only one who dominates righties (as opposed to lefties) is K-Rod. I don't think that there is an urgency to change a roster based on one closer who we will see 3 more times in September.

bumptious96
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
I heard that too and I totally agree with the Stoneman here.

bennyw41
07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
I don't get why we don't bring up Norton for the time being. 1st and 3rd.

Rocklive99
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I want Ross here as much as the next guy, but come on, let's be realistic. If I'm facing an elite AL closer in the playoffs, he wouldn't be my number one choice just because he's left handed. Before we declare him Ted Williams, let's see how he does against some Major League pitching. Willie hit well over .400 in AAA...

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
I think Stoney is a smart guy, but this whole lefty/righty thing is overdone, and misleading.

Rivera is tougher on lefties because of his cutter (righties hit .240 compared to just .208 for lefties).

For the past two years, Schilling has been tougher on lefties than righties because his splitter is tougher on lefties.

This year, righties have hit and slugged significantly better against Nathan than lefties. Once again, the cutter.

Gordon is the same on righties as lefties.

The only one who dominates righties (as opposed to lefties) is K-Rod. I don't think that there is an urgency to change a roster based on one closer who we will see 3 more times in September.

I totally agree. You can even look closer to home with Cotts who is better against righties and I think Vizcaino is better against lefties.
Furthermore, right handed righters face right handed pitching all the time. These guys know how to hit against them.

Foulke You
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Don't forget guys, we'll have a pretty darn good left handed bat in Carl Everett coming off the bench (most of the time). Between Everett, Gload, and clutch Timo, I feel pretty good about our lefty off the bench options.

SoxFanTillDeath
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Don't forget guys, we'll have a pretty darn good left handed bat in Carl Everett coming off the bench (most of the time). Between Everett, Gload, and clutch Timo, I feel pretty good about our lefty off the bench options.

You beat my post. But my point exactly...excellent post (only because I was going to say the same thing!):cool:

Madvora
07-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Don't worry about Gload. He'll be up here. There's just way too much shuffling to be done up here in the next two week. A number of things could change in that time. Hopefully both Shingo and Vizcaino are cleared out and improved upon and maybe even another starter. Another SS or 3B could even be brought in too. Once the deadline is up we'll know what this team is going to look like. KW just needs to fit all the pieces of his puzzle together,

maurice
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't give much credence to what Stone has to say. He also went on and on about how the clear WC favorite is a certain cuddly blue corporation with a record of 1 game over .500.

WLL1855
07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't get why we don't bring up Norton for the time being. 1st and 3rd.

I'll pretend that I didn't hear that.

veeter
07-18-2005, 08:07 PM
For once Stone is right, that they should bring up Gload. But is he a genious because he states the obvious? This is the same guy that said the Cardinals were full of wholes after losing Renteria (replaced by WS ring holder Eckstein), Matheny (replaced by a Molina brother), and broken down Woody Williams (replaced by Mark Mulder). I think Stone is a jag. He's smug and must still be on the Cub payroll.

Fredsox
07-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Gload will be here soon, guaranteed. Obviously Kenny is working on some moves. Once the moves shake out, someone will be cut and Ross will be up getting ready for the postseason.

Gload is probably an OK ballplayer, but let's face facts here: this guy has not proven much at the major league level. He is not the second coming of Lou Gehrig, I'm not sure what some people are expecting from him. I think it is more likely that we pick up an established lefty hitter rather than trust it to, frankly, a question mark.

Inexperienced ballplayers have certainly contributed to World Series champions, but historically it is veterans that get you where you want to go.

wsbaseball9
07-18-2005, 08:58 PM
get Ross back in there! keep willie up to pinch run even though he cant steal a base and send timo down...Ross...he will be the x-factor besides damaso