PDA

View Full Version : The Indians Really Want Randa

Madvora
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR
The Indians continue to be rebuffed by the Cincinnati Reds in their attempts to land 3B Joe Randa, says the Akron Beacon Journal. The Cleveland Plain Dealer said the Indians offered P C.C. Sabathia to the Reds.

Sabathia!? For Randa!?

Sabathia's stats - 6-6, 105 IP, 4.63 ERA, 79 K, 35 BB

Is there something I'm missing? That seems like a pretty quick response to giving up on Sabathia, especially for Joe Randa.

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Has to be something majorly wrong there. Last I heard, the Reds asked for C.C. when the Indians inquired about Dunn and the Indians said no thanks. This simply cannot be right.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Has to be something majorly wrong there. Last I heard, the Reds asked for C.C. when the Indians inquired about Dunn and the Indians said no thanks. This simply cannot be right.

You don't understand the value of Joe Randa. Adam Dunn is no Joe Randa. :D: :D:

Tragg
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
CC is expensive and has never developed into a top of the rotation starter.

Indians need some temporary punch

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
You don't understand the value of Joe Randa. Adam Dunn is no Joe Randa. :D: :D:

White Sox Josh is interning for Eric Wedge.

SOXSINCE'70
07-18-2005, 12:03 PM
White Sox Josh is interning for Eric Wedge.

I hope he has enjoyed the ass whuppings the Sox have given
the 'Toons thus far.:D: :D: :D: :D:

Soxzilla
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
There is no way you turn down Joe Randa for C.C. Sabathia.

He would be lights out in the No-talent League.

JimH
07-18-2005, 12:29 PM
CC is expensive and has never developed into a top of the rotation starter.

Indians need some temporary punch

You can't be serious. Sabathia is worth at least 5 Joe Randa's.

Rocklive99
07-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow, pull the trigger Cinci! I would not mind not having to fave CC anymore, even if we got to him last game, I remember last year, when he was on, he was unhittable.

Brian26
07-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Is there something I'm missing? That seems like a pretty quick response to giving up on Sabathia, especially for Joe Randa.

The ONLY thing I can come up with is maybe Cincy can't take on extra salary. I'm not sure what CC is making.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
The ONLY thing I can come up with is maybe Cincy can't take on extra salary. I'm not sure what CC is making.

I really doubt he's making that much more than Randa considering cc's in like his 5th year (at most) and Randa was a free agent acquisition

dcb33
07-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Perhaps Cincy is gunshy about making the move becuase they know CC would demand a trade.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Perhaps Cincy is gunshy about making the move becuase they know CC would demand a trade.

Yeah - Casey Blake has him convinced that Cleveland is the team to beat!

TheOldRoman
07-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Maybe Kenny can whisper into the ear of the Reds' GM "trade for CC, we will send you some prospects for him soon thereafter". Obviously the Indians wouldn't send CC Cartman to us, so maybe KW can convince the Reds to take him and then trade with us.

Fatbathia has lots of talent, and lots of gut, so I would like to have him on the team. However, I would hope the rest of the team has the common sense to slap the hell out of him the first time he puts his hat on sideways. Oh, and he would need a fitted uniform, too.

Seriously though, this rumor has to be a typo or a joke. No way the Indians are giving up on Tons of Fun, let alone for the subject of WhiteSoxJosh's dreams.

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I was looking up C.C.'s stats and they really aren't that good except for 2003. His wins have gone down every year (probably has more to do with the team), and his ERA has been above 4.00. BUT this guy is only 24 years old. He usually dominates against the Sox but not the rest of the league. I know there are formulas to figure out when a pitcher isn't going to be that good and I wonder if the Indians patience is wearing thin.
This is one possiblity, but it isn't mine. I think Sabathia will be a very good pitcher, everyone can see he has the ability. At any rate, nobody in the right mind trades Sabathia for Randa when the Indians aren't really in the playoff picture. I think they got the story backwards.

Tragg
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
You can't be serious. Sabathia is worth at least 5 Joe Randa's.

And Carlos Lee was worth several Posedniks, at least on paper. It clears up a lot of salary. I agree, Randa isn't much.

But SAbathia has yet to live up to his Gammons/Baseball prospectus hype, as have other pitchers we've recently discussed frequently. He is paid like a top-starter, but doesn't not perform like one.

It's not surprising to me that the Reds, who hold annual fire sales, wouldn't accept an overpaid player.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
And Carlos Lee was worth several Posedniks, at least on paper. It clears up a lot of salary. I agree, Randa isn't much.

But SAbathia has yet to live up to his Gammons/Baseball prospectus hype, as have other pitchers we've recently discussed frequently.

Randa is not even comparable to Podsednik. Not only is Podsednik a better player, he also cleared a lot more salary than Randa would (the sox got viz and pods and cleared 6 mil. Sabathia makes only 5 1/4 mil alone, and Randa makes 2.5 so that would clear about 2.75 mil...)hardly worth trading a solid pitcher with a huge upside for a below average 3rd baseman.

But hell, if Cleveland wants to do it, more power to them.

PodzStyleMultiAccount
07-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Joe Randa is a hot commodity right now. As we speak, there is a bidding war going on for Joe Randa's services. Many, many teams are desperate for a 3B. Including two in our own division. (Twins and Tribe) Look what the career loser (42-44) AJ Burnett is costing. I can only imagine Randa, where teams are equally desperate. And there are many, many suitors. Still, CC Sabathia is too steep of a price to pay IMO.

Tragg
07-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Yes, Posednik is much better than Randa. And Lee is better than Sabathia.

Look at it this way - if Sabathia were on the Reds right now, I gurantee you they'd be shopping him (or Stark/Gammons would say they were).

What the Reds should do is make that deal and then deal Sabathia to Boston or Baltimore or us. Cleveland won't do that deal, but the Reds sure could.

balke
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Sabathia for the Reds best pitcher and Randa, maybe. Or, perhaps snag Kearns or Mo Pena in the deal. I think that Sabathia should go to the N.L.. Everyone says he'd be the best hitter by far out of all the pitchers, I'd like to see it.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Yes, Posednik is much better than Randa. And Lee is better than Sabathia.

Look at it this way - if Sabathia were on the Reds right now, I gurantee you they'd be shopping him (or Stark/Gammons would say they were).

What the Reds should do is make that deal and then deal Sabathia to Boston or Baltimore or us. Cleveland won't do that deal, but the Reds sure could.

a.) a good pitcher like Sabathia is much more valuable than an above average (or great) outfielder who hits for good power.

b.) a good left-handed pitcher like Sabathia is more valuable than a power hitting outfielder who can't really field his position

c.) Podsednik is exponentially better than Randa

d.) Podsednik (Plus a solid reliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!) saved us a lot of money (6 million dollars). Randa would save the Jndjans exactly 2.5 million dollars.

Do you not see why this is not a deal any sane GM would get done? Especially a team that is certainly not looking to spend more money this year. Why cut payroll 2.5 million? If you are going to make a drive to the playoffs, don't trade your best pitcher for what would essentially be pocket change in a big deal. If you aren't going to make a drive, keep your good, young, cheap, left-handed pitcher.

NO WAY this goes down.

(prove me wrong cleveland!!!)

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 12:16 AM
There is something seriously wrong here. No way is Sabathia, struggles or no struggles, worth only Joe Randa. There would have to be some serious sweetener in that.

Besides, if Cleveland were actually smoking enough crack to consider that, you KNOW CC wouldn't end up staying in Cinci. Who's to say an under the radar stealth machine like KW wouldn't swap in for the kill and bring Sabathia right back into the AL Central? I don't know about any of you, but I wouldn't mind overpaying for that guy at all.

Soxzilla
07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Maybe Kenny can swing a deal getting us C.C. and Griffey Jr.

....But now with Walnuts FINALLY swinging over the .250 mark, he might get hot.