PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Talks About "The Other Guy"

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Frank on "The Other Guy Who Was Here Before:"

Asked what type of reception he expects Ordonez to get, the Sox's Frank Thomas said, "Hopefully, it's a respectful one. He played well for us, and he did a lot of good things in Chicago. He went out on a sour note, but 'Maggs' was great. I loved playing with him. The way he left town, no one really liked it, but he's a friend of mine. I wish him well."

"If you know his personality, Magglio's Magglio," Thomas said. "He's one of those guys in the clubhouse that's fun to be around. "He's had a rough start with his new team. Hopefully, the thing with him and Ozzie can pass, because it's one of those things where I know both of them very well and I think if they just sat down and worked it out, everything would have been fine before it went to all the national stuff."

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I feel for Frank in this. I've been in the situation where two guys I like got into it. It's tough being in the middle.

CubKilla
07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Konerko AND Thomas saying nice things about Maggs? Ship 'em both out. Who needs 'em?

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I feel for Frank in this. I've been in the situation where two guys I like got into it. It's tough being in the middle.

I agree. When I was in high school, it seemed like I was in one of those situations all the time.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Frank needs to talk to Paulie on how to issue an appropriate statement.

wdelaney72
07-18-2005, 10:38 AM

I couldn't agree more.

Rocky Soprano
07-18-2005, 10:38 AM

AMEN!

That's exactly how it's done Paulie!

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 10:42 AM

But in the other thread, you said that Konerko was wrong for giving Maggs ANY kind of props. :rolleyes:

Of course Thomas wouldn't say that Maggs is the best player that he's ever played with.

spawn
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
This is the same Frank Thomas that has stuck his foot in his mouth on multiple occasions before, yet you all are saying that Paulie should take tips from Frank? I preface this by saying I'm a BIG Frank Thomas fan, and always have been, even when the fans and the media in Chicago were either down on him or ripping him mercilessly. I think you guys praising his statement need to remember that Frank wasn't always media savvy, and maybe, just maybe you should give Paulie a break.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Konerko AND Thomas saying nice things about Maggs? Ship 'em both out. Who needs 'em?

the diff is that media nightmare Frank Thomas didn't have to tear down his teammates to praise Maggs.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
But in the other thread, you said that Konerko was wrong for giving Maggs ANY kind of props. :rolleyes:

that wasn't the issue

Of course Thomas wouldn't say that Maggs is the best player that he's ever played with.

that was

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 10:54 AM

I can think of two reasons why he might not have said that:

1. Frank doesn't want to slight anyone on his own team.

2. Frank has, in the past, played with the likes of Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk, Bo Jackson, Robin Ventura, Albert Belle, Julio Franco, etc. Perhaps he feels that one of these men was a better player than Maggs, at one point in their respective careers.

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I can think of two reasons why he might not have said that:

1. Frank doesn't want to slight anyone on his own team.

2. Frank has, in the past, played with the likes of Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk, Bo Jackson, Robin Ventura, Albert Belle, Julio Franco, etc. Perhaps he feels that one of these men was a better player than Maggs, at one point in their respective careers.

Alternative explanation: He knew enough not to make comparisions with past or present teammates, unlike a certain first baseman we know, who has now done this more than once. (See Clayton, Royce.)

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
that wasn't the issue

that was

Frank wouldn't say that because it's not true. What Paulie said is absolutely the truth, and it's not ripping anybody. Everybody on the Sox knows he was the best player from 99-04.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Alternative explanation: He knew enough not to make comparisions with past or present teammates, unlike a certain first baseman we know, who has now done this more than once. (See Clayton, Royce.)

no hal...Frank was just being honest like Paulie was. Everyone knows that if a reporter asks you what you think of an opponent you are required to tell that reporter how he measures up against your current teammates.

SpammySosa
07-18-2005, 06:18 PM
This is the same Frank Thomas that has stuck his foot in his mouth on multiple occasions before, yet you all are saying that Paulie should take tips from Frank?

On the other hand,there were a lot of things Frank said that were misconstrued or taken out of context. A little media bias does wonders to one's reputation.

maurice
07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
The media often punishes players by taking crap out of context, but they don't do this to media whores like Konerko. Sosa said much worse things than Thomas ever did, but he got the kid gloves because he gave the media whatever they wanted. The positive media attitude didn't change until Hendry decided to scapegoat Sosa and ship him out of town.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-18-2005, 09:40 PM
The media often punishes players by taking crap out of context, but they don't do this to media whores like Konerko. Sosa said much worse things than Thomas ever did, but he got the kid gloves because he gave the media whatever they wanted. The positive media attitude didn't change until Hendry decided to scapegoat Sosa and ship him out of town.

Yep. The aPaulogists and assorted other FOGIDPK's are the very same people who used to get mad about how Scammin' Shammy Soso was never taken to task for all the outrageous things he said. But these same people will spin on a dime and swear there is nothing about Paul Konerko's latest retarded comments because the media isn't making a big deal out of them.
:kukoo:

THE MEDIA LOVES A MEDIA WHORE!!! They won't bite the hand that feeds! Christ, the last place I ever thought I would have to explain this is at a website devoted to White Sox Fans.
:o:

:nandrolone
"Not to offend anyone, but the best firstbasemen I ever played with on the Sox was Carlos Martinez.

:walnuts
"I am a gladiator!"

munchman33
07-19-2005, 12:19 AM

Frank went about it while also mentioning the negative. He was very neutral about it. Paulie's comments were a slight to Buehrle and Frank.