PDA

View Full Version : Konerko on Ordonez: He’s the Best!

Mercy!
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Actually, Konerko’s exact words about Ordonez according to mlb.com yesterday:

"No offense to anybody I've played with," White Sox All-Star first baseman Paul Konerko said, "but when that guy's healthy and playing well, I've never played with anybody better."

:walnuts
"Need a good quote?
You can count on me."

Fredsox
07-18-2005, 08:35 AM

"No offense to anybody I've played with," White Sox All-Star first baseman Paul Konerko said, "but when that guy's healthy and playing well, I've never played with anybody better."

It probably isn't too far off if you consider the all-around aspect of things. Thomas is the best hitter, Buehrle might be the best pitcher, but for all-around best baseball player on the Sox for the past few years, Ordonez would have to be in the top 2-3 for anybody.

Additionally, he also said that he hopes the fans cheer Ordonez as recognition for his past contributions to the team. I think it's also important that somebody from the White Sox throw a peace offering over the fence in an attempt to get past the BS between Ordonez and the White Sox. I mean really, who cares? We're trying to win a WS, we really don't have time to dwell a pissing match that happened 4 months ago. It's my guess that this might have been in Konerko's mind when he made the statement.

White Sox Josh
07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
:hurt
"Whatchu talkin bout Paul"

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 09:01 AM
For when Paul has been here playing, I would say that was a correct statement. Especially because Frank has been subpar (according to his standards) and hurt a lot of that time.

Madvora
07-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I think I know what this thread is going to turn into.
Brace yourself Paulie...

Deuce
07-18-2005, 09:13 AM
"No offense to..."

Whenever you feel the need to say this phrase before you get to the point of the statement, just stop yourself. The next thing you are about to say is going to be offensive no matter how much you don't mean it.

Just ask Bill Parcells.

Deuce

PicktoCLick72
07-18-2005, 09:18 AM
As much as I don't like Maggs anymore, I would totally agree with Paul's statement. What is Paul suppose to do, start badmouthing Maggs. That's Ozzie's job.

veeter
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
My quote in the Trib was," he's the best I played with, period." As if a reporter challenged his statment. But really this stuff is no big deal. If Maggs was some guy with Reggie Sanders skills it would be one thing. But Maggs put up some very gaudy numbers. Paulie also intimated that they were pretty close friends too.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Uhh...

:hurt :burly

*glaring at Konerko*

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Uhh...

:hurt :burly

*glaring at Konerko*

I think you could certainly try and make a case for either one of those, but Maggs put up great numbers every year from 99-04 when he got hurt. He was the best consistently while Paul was here. If Frank was healthy all those years, maybe, butother than 00, 03, and part of 04, his numbers weren't as good as Maggs and he didn't really ever play in the field.

And I think he was talking about position players, though I think I'd still say Maggs was better than Burly over all of those years. It's harder to compare that however.

Deuce
07-18-2005, 09:28 AM
As much as I don't like Maggs anymore, I would totally agree with Paul's statement. What is Paul suppose to do, start badmouthing Maggs.

No, but he can ****.

Rocky Soprano
07-18-2005, 09:31 AM
No, but he can ****.

Exactly, Paul just **** already!

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 09:31 AM
No, but he can ****.

Somebody has to talk to the media. Most of the guys on this team just tell it like it is, like Buerhle did earlier in the year.

Paulie pretty much has no choice but to answer the media's questions, and it just so happens he tells the truth.

"I can tell you no one in the clubhouse is talking about this," Konerko said. "Our whole day revolves around getting a win. So everything else is a distant second when it comes to an issue."

I think the only people that take exception to what Paul says are the people outside of the clubhouse. But don't let that stop everybody from having another 100+ posting bashing Paul. I bet if the rest of the team read these posts they would laugh their asses off.

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Whenever you feel the need to say this phrase before you get to the point of the statement, just stop yourself. The next thing you are about to say is going to be offensive no matter how much you don't mean it.

Just ask Bill Parcells.

Deuce

I agree. What's so hard about just saying, "He's a great player," and leaving it at that?

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 09:35 AM
My quote in the Trib was," he's the best I played with, period." As if a reporter challenged his statment. But really this stuff is no big deal. If Maggs was some guy with Reggie Sanders skills it would be one thing. But Maggs put up some very gaudy numbers. Paulie also intimated that they were pretty close friends too.

You have to question a guy who thinks the best shortstop he ever played with was Royce "Buddy Lee" Clayton.

voodoochile
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
All these EX-Sox players are the best he ever played with. How soon until someone can say "Ah... PK... he was the biggest mouth I ever played with..."

:hitless
"Hey Magglio... welcome to the club..."

:maggs
"PK, I would love to kick your ass the next time I see you, but I don't want to tweak my hernia..."

JRIG
07-18-2005, 09:39 AM

"No offense, but the best manager I ever played for was Jerry Manuel. And the best pitcher I ever played with was Bartolo Colon. And, no offense, but the best organization I ever played for was the Los Angeles Dodgers. Any other questions?"

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm waiting for George to offer his $ .02 about this.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 09:40 AM

"No offense, but the best manager I ever played for was Jerry Manuel. And the best pitcher I ever played with was Bartolo Colon. And, no offense, but the best organization I ever played for was the Los Angeles Dodgers. Any other questions?"

This would be funnier if it weren't for the fact that he might actually say something like it.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
This would be funnier if it weren't for the fact that he might actually say something like it.

The thing is, everything he has said so far has truth to it. Paul is the guy on the team that has been here the longest other than Frank, and he is the All-star leader of the team type of guy so he has to answer these types of questions.

Maggs was the best player on the White Sox from 99-04. Why not throw the guy a bone and just speak the truth when he is your friend.

Like I said, nobody ever puts in the quotes like this.

"I can tell you no one in the clubhouse is talking about this," Konerko said. "Our whole day revolves around getting a win. So everything else is a distant second when it comes to an issue."

And nobody in the clubhouse has any problem with what Paul says, or how he goes about his business. You can bet the reporters have tried to dig up something and have tried to have a story where somebody gets on Paul for what he says, but they can't, because nobody cares except for the people on this board.

jdm2662
07-18-2005, 09:52 AM
AS much as I can't stand Konerko's mouth, I don't see any problems with this. The fact is, Ordonez was the best all around player the Sox had during Konerko's tenure. I do like the fact Konkero also said the club house is only thinking about winning and very little else.
________
Ford el falcon (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_EL_Falcon)

voodoochile
07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
And nobody in the clubhouse has any problem with what Paul says, or how he goes about his business. You can bet the reporters have tried to dig up something and have tried to have a story where somebody gets on Paul for what he says, but they can't, because nobody cares except for the people on this board.

How do you know? Do not confuse lack of griping with acceptance. Most guys on a team would rather say nothing than say something stupid or that could be misconstrued by the media and/or their teammates. Heck, everyone knows the Chicago media is tough and ever-present. Say the wrong thing to the wrong guy and you are a national story and a bad guy the next day. Just ask Frank Thomas if you don't believe me.

For all we know, there are several guys who would love to take PK out to the woodshed and beat some sense into him, but they don't want to start an issue during a great season, so they just ignore him and hope he will ****.

Honestly, PK will not be missed nearly as much as his defenders think he will be next season. Give Everett a 1B mitt in the off-season and say, "Carl, welcome to your new life..."

This commentisn't as bad as some of the others in the past, but honestly, PK should put a cork in it or go watch Bull Durham over and over until he gets it...

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
wow once again another thread blowing Konerko's comments out of proportion. So what if Maggs embarrassed the team this offseason and took potshots and Ozzie, Paulie's boss. Paulie HAD to say these comments, especially the part indirectly detracting from every other person on the team. He HAD to make that comment because it could be considered true. If he would have just said Maggs was a good player he would have been a liar.

Plus this season is going well and Paulie is on the team therefore if Paulie does some ****brain bull**** why not just ignore it because clearly Paulie is a HUGGGGE part of why we're winning.

And anyway, we actually do really care what Paul Konerko thinks about Magglio anyway. But seriously, you guys are blowing things so much out of proportion... I don't understand why everyone wants to criticize Paulie. They did the same thing to Jesus. Damn you Don Baylor!

munchman33
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
I ****'n hate Paul Konerko. **** Paul. Don't give props to a guy hated by your fans and who had a serious tiff with your manager earlier this year. I'm sorry, but that's just common sense.

I can't believe there are people here who still think Paul's a good teammate.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
How do you know? Do not confuse lack of griping with acceptance. Most guys on a team would rather say nothing than say something stupid or that could be misconstrued by the media and/or their teammates. Heck, everyone knows the Chicago media is tough and ever-present. Say the wrong thing to the wrong guy and you are a national story and a bad guy the next day. Just ask Frank Thomas if you don't believe me.

For all we know, there are several guys who would love to take PK out to the woodshed and beat some sense into him, but they don't want to start an issue during a great season, so they just ignore him and hope he will ****.

Honestly, PK will not be missed nearly as much as his defenders think he will be next season. Give Everett a 1B mitt in the off-season and say, "Carl, welcome to your new life..."

This commentisn't as bad as some of the others in the past, but honestly, PK should put a cork in it or go watch Bull Durham over and over until he gets it...

I'm no Paul defender, and anyone can shout down what he does on the field all they want. You can argue taht he doesn't produce nearly enough for the 8.5 mil he's making. That's all fine.

There's nothing wrong with saying Maggs is the best player he's ever played with during his time though. It's the truth. It's interesting how the media hasn't brought up some big story compiling all of Paul's "horrible" quotes. But there is a simple reason. There is no story.

wdelaney72
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
All this means nothing. I think most of us can reasonably assume, PK will be wearing another uniform next year.

While his statement isn't that far out there, he could have handled this much better be simply stating. "Maggs is a tremendous player. I enjoyed playing with him." It's not that difficult to think before you speak.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I ****'n hate Paul Konerko. **** Paul. Don't give props to a guy hated by your fans and who had a serious tiff with your manager earlier this year. I'm sorry, but that's just common sense.

Frank gave Maggs lots of props. He must suck as a teammate too.

Sigh.

daveeym
Just for the sake of comparison throughout the day, here's the link for reference to see how both these threads progress.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54366

TornLabrum
In contrast to Konerko's blathering, take a look in another thread at how Thomas discussed the Ordonez issue. Of course we know Thomas is a bad teammate because the mediots tell us so.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 10:47 AM

Sigh.

if you had missed the point anymore you would have circumnavigated there world and thereby found the point.

The point is that Frank didn't have to say Maggs was better than Paulie to praise Maggs. I'm sad to say the opposite wasn't true.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 10:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with saying Maggs is the best player he's ever played with during his time though. It's the truth.

It's not the truth. He played with Frank in 2000. Period.

If he wanted to say Maggs was the most consistent, that would be unequivocably true.

And even if it is debatable as true, there's no call to be lavishing these superlatives on opponents.

What the ****?

Hangar18
07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
It probably isn't too far off if you consider the all-around aspect of things. Thomas is the best hitter, Buehrle might be the best pitcher, but for all-around best baseball player on the Sox for the past few years, Ordonez would have to be in the top 2-3 for anybody.

Additionally, he also said that he hopes the fans cheer Ordonez as recognition for his past contributions to the team. I think it's also important that somebody from the White Sox throw a peace offering over the fence in an attempt to get past the BS between Ordonez and the White Sox. I mean really, who cares? We're trying to win a WS, we really don't have time to dwell a pissing match that happened 4 months ago. It's my guess that this might have been in Konerko's mind when he made the statement.

The other day ...... someone had pointed out to me that Maggs had homered again, giving him a few hr's in only a few ab's. I was a little disheartened to hear that ............. I hate that he rejected our offer (he was my favorite player after all) But I then said to this guy "Hey, the guy was a born PURE HITTER. A Professional, a guy that could carry a team ........hes awesome" PK just gave the guy some professional praise ......... I can
guarantee you that the Chicago Media were trying (in a very Mike Kiley-esque way) to get PK to say something disparaging so as to help get the SOX off track and keep them from winning ....but Paul wasnt biting. Screw the Media ........ they dont want us to win folks, but im used to it.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
if you had missed the point anymore you would have circumnavigated there world and thereby found the point.

The point is that Frank didn't have to say Maggs was better than Paulie to praise Maggs. I'm sad to say the opposite wasn't true.

The point is nobody should care if Paul wants to say what he did. It's true in every way, and if Paul wants to speak the truth he should be able to. Nobody in the clubhouse would probably even care. Nobody reads that crap. And if tehy did, they wouldn't care because its the truth.

These threads about Paul are ridiculous. If you want to bash him, bash him for something bash worthy that actually matters, like not putting up numbers for 8.5 mil a year. Don't bash him for something nobody cares about except a couple hundred people on a message board. If it was a big deal you can bet it would already have been in the papers a long time ago. But its not. If the media doesn't care about a negative story, then it's not a negative story.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 10:54 AM
It's not the truth. He played with Frank in 2000. Period.

If he wanted to say Maggs was the most consistent, that would be unequivocably true.

And even if it is debatable as true, there's no call to be lavishing these superlatives on opponents.

What the ****?

From 99-04, when Paul played with the Sox, Maggs was a better, more consistent player. He played in teh field. He put up consistently better numbers, he wasn't out for a season and a half. That's the bottome line. Frank had one better year than Maggs of those.

Overall, there is NO question that Maggs was the better player, but not when Paul played here.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
From 99-04, when Paul played with the Sox, Maggs was a better, more consistent player. He played in teh field. He put up consistently better numbers, he wasn't out for a season and a half. That's the bottome line. Frank had one better year than Maggs of those.

Overall, there is NO question that Frank was the better player, but not when Paul played here.

I'm not sure about that. Maggs had a better year than Frank in '99, '01. and '02. But in '00, '03, and last season, I think most people would give Frank the edge.

owensmouth
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM

On the other hand, how do we know that any thought of your's has an iota of truth?

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure about that. Maggs had a better year than Frank in '99, '01. and '02. But in '00, '03, and last season, I think most people would give Frank the edge.

Yah, but Maggs was still great in 00 and 03. Not as good as Frank, but still great. And last year they were about the same. In 99, 01 and 02 Frank was not great, and Maggs was.

I love Frank, he's the best player ever on the Sox, but not from 99-04.

owensmouth
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM

So how come you gaven't included Thomas in your rant? He's giving Maggs props too.

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 11:00 AM
So how come you gaven't included Thomas in your rant? He's giving Maggs props too.

Read both quotes carefully. Observe how they are different.

Deuce
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Somebody has to talk to the media.

Um, Ozzie talks to the media after every game.

Paulie pretty much has no choice but to answer the media's questions, and it just so happens he tells the truth.

1) Paulie DOES have a choice. I know it doesn't seem that way because he never ****, but he in fact does have that option. And given his track record, he should exercise that option.

2) Paulie was giving his opinion. Whether it is "true" or not is immaterial, as an opinion is subjective in nature. Personally, I think Frank Thomas is the best player Paulie has every player with, period. Thats my opinion.

3) Just because you are saying something that is "true" does not mean that you should be saying it. Some things are best left unsaid, whether for the sake of your team or the sake of your fans. Magglio isn't on this team anymore. So, IMO, if Paulie isn't talking about how good this team is or how determined they are every day to win, I want to hear crickets chirping.

Good, so **** Paulie. Everyone else does. You should too.

I think the only people that take exception to what Paul says are the people outside of the clubhouse. But don't let that stop everybody from having another 100+ posting bashing Paul. I bet if the rest of the team read these posts they would laugh their asses off.

Again, this is your opinion. The players have not made their feelings known. You don't know at all if they take exception to it or not, or if they laugh about it. I know I take exception to it, so I am responding accordingly.

Deuce

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM

munchman said ANY props. ANY at all. Then he read Frank's quotes and said that's how you address it. *** is that?

owensmouth
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM

The biggest difference is in the minds of the Konerko haters

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Most guys on a team would rather say nothing than say something stupid or that could be misconstrued by the media and/or their teammates.

That's the essence of the problem. Most players would rather say nothing than risk saying something stupid that might offend someone.

But Konerko is not like most players. He has oral diarrhea. He'd rather risk saying something stupid than just shut up.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Again, this is your opinion. The players have not made their feelings known. You don't know at all if they take exception to it or not, or if they laugh about it. I know I take exception to it, so I am responding accordingly.

Deuce

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but like I say, the media hasn't run with this story and they run with ANYTHING that could be construed as negative, especially from a team without any controversy that's in first place. They look at the kink in the armor. Try to exploit it. You can bet that if they thought his quotes meant anything against his teammates they would ask those teammates and print up a big story on the horrible Paul Konerko, then go back and get his side of it. But they haven't. Why, because THERE is NO Story.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
That's the essence of the problem. Most players would rather say nothing than risk saying something stupid that might offend someone.

But Konerko is not like most players. He has oral diarrhea. He'd rather risk saying something stupid than just shut up.

But that's just it. The media hasn't construed his comments in any way. There have been ZERO stories about it. Why? Because it's not important. It's a non-entity. There is nothing to construe in teh minds of the media, who make a living pouncing on any little quote they could turn negative. Did they do it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

owensmouth
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM

In this case, it's the mental diarrhea of the Konerko haters that is most oppressive.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
In this case, it's the mental diarrhea of the Konerko haters that is most oppressive.

Amen. If you are going to bash him, at least bash him for something that matters.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM

Look - you're the one who's saying it's ok that Paul said an ex-player who left the team on horrible terms and took potshots at his manager is better than everyone else on the first place team he's playing on now. Not only that but it's even moreso ok even though this is the second time this season he has said that an ex-player is better than a player on his team.

and we "paulie haters" are the ones with mental diarrhea?

I would think it would be the apaulogists who would want the im-mind-ium.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Amen. If you are going to bash him, at least bash him for something that matters.

well his lousy hitting, lousy situational hitting, and lousy speed are irrelevant in this thread.

actually maybe not. How about this:

Maybe if Paulie was a great hitter he would know a future hall of famer when he sees one and be able to differentiate him from a great player who will never sniff cooperstown.

owensmouth
07-18-2005, 11:14 AM
and we "paulie haters" are the ones with mental diarrhea?

Finally, we agree on something...

Deuce
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but like I say, the media hasn't run with this story and they run with ANYTHING that could be construed as negative, especially from a team without any controversy that's in first place. They look at the kink in the armor. Try to exploit it. You can bet that if they thought his quotes meant anything against his teammates they would ask those teammates and print up a big story on the horrible Paul Konerko, then go back and get his side of it. But they haven't. Why, because THERE is NO Story.

How do you know? Maybe they know that none of the other players will say that they took it as an offense, and the media would rather leave the aura of discontent in the air rather than dissipate it? Maybe they haven't had a chance to ask anyone cause Paulie was the only one willing to talk about anything but winning today's game? Maybe they want to get fans riled up and not the rest of his teammates? Maybe they are just friggin lazy and don't need to do anything more because Paulie did all the fire-starting for them?

Deuce

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:16 AM
well his lousy hitting, lousy situational hitting, and lousy speed are irrelevant in this thread.

actually maybe not. How about this:

Maybe if Paulie was a great hitter he would know a future hall of famer when he sees one and be able to differentiate him from a great player who will never sniff cooperstown.

LOL. It doesn't take a HOF to know that Maggs was better than anybody else on the Sox from 99-04. Just a little common sense.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Finally, we agree on something...

well at least the fogidpk are engaged in intelligent discourse...:?:

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
How do you know? Maybe they know that none of the other players will say that they took it as an offense, and the media would rather leave the aura of discontent in the air rather than dissipate it? Maybe they haven't had a chance to ask anyone cause Paulie was the only one willing to talk about anything but winning today's game? Maybe they want to get fans riled up and not the rest of his teammates? Maybe they are just friggin lazy and don't need to do anything more because Paulie did all the fire-starting for them?

Deuce

LOL. I think you are underestimating the media just a little bit. Especially the negative Chicago media. If there is a negative story to be had, especially in a season where there have only been nice, non-controversial stories, they will find it and print it. I don't like it, but that's the way it works.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:19 AM
LOL. It doesn't take a HOF to know that Maggs was better than anybody else on the Sox from 99-04. Just a little common sense.

Well I'll tell you what. Maggs was never considered for an MVP. Frank should have won in 2000, but definitely finished second. The other years he was injured. Therefore it's not right to say that Maggs was BETTER, just more healthy and more consistent. More valuable to the team perhaps.

NEVER BETTER.

Paulie did not say more consistent, more valuable, or healthy. Paulie said better. Paul Konerko is not better than Barry Bonds just because Barry Bonds is hurt. If Bonds comes back in August and hits .200 for a month before turning it on in September, Paulie was not better than Bonds ever. He was more consistent (never thought we'd be saying that about Paulie, even in a hypothetical), healthier, more valuable, but never BETTER

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Well I'll tell you what. Maggs was never considered for an MVP. Frank should have won in 2000, but definitely finished second. The other years he was injured. Therefore it's not right to say that Maggs was BETTER, just more healthy and more consistent. More valuable to the team perhaps.

NEVER BETTER.

Paulie did not say more consistent, more valuable, or healthy. Paulie said better. Paul Konerko is not better than Barry Bonds just because Barry Bonds is hurt. If Bonds comes back in August and hits .200 for a month before turning it on in September, Paulie was not better than Bonds ever. He was more consistent (never thought we'd be saying that about Paulie, even in a hypothetical), healthier, more valuable, but never BETTER

Part of being the best means you are out on the field everyday putting up consistent numbers. Maggs was in the field everyday. He played a very good right field and put up AWESOME numbers every year. He was better than Frank in that time.

I know you dislike Paul, why so much I don't know, nor do I care, but you are at the point where you are reaching a little bit now.

Deuce
07-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Obviously, it does. Frank 2000 > Maggs in any year with the Sox. And if you don't know, well now you know.

LOL. I think you are underestimating the media just a little bit. Especially the negative Chicago media. If there is a negative story to be had, especially in a season where there have only been nice, non-controversial stories, they will find it and print it. I don't like it, but that's the way it works.

And I think you are overestimating the media. The reason (IMO) that the press is negative about the Sox is because they don't work hard. They use the wrong facts, ignore the obvious, and all around don't care if they get the story straight (ie. Moronatti).

Deuce

FarWestChicago
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I know you dislike Paul, why so much I don't know, nor do I care, but you are at the point where you are reaching a little bit now.No, you are the one that is completely irrational and reaching. It doesn't matter if Magglio was better than Babe Ruth, there was NO reason to say what media whoring, look at me Paulie did. He could have showed some intelligence and class and phrased it like Big Frank. Case closed. There is no need for you aPaulogists to try to change the subject again so you can whine. Your boy should have said nothing or left his current teammates out of it, period. :rolleyes:

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Obviously, it does. Frank 2000 > Maggs in any year with the Sox. And if you don't know, well now you know.

Deuce

Oh yah. If we're talking about who had the best season over that time I don't think there is any question Frank wins by a mile. He was awesome.

But overall, looking at all the seasons Maggs put up equal or better numbers, he put up consistent numbers every year, playing a high number of games every year, was good defensively and ran the bases well. I think that's what makes a player great over a period of time and I think that's why Maggs was better.

I appreciate the discourse though. I don't think Paul said anything wrong at all, and I bet that if you walked up to the players this year they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about with any of these quotes from Paul because I bet they don't care. I think it's time to start arguing now though. Hopefully this thread will just die.

Flight #24
07-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Apparently doesn't think much of the talent on this 61-29 team, because he obviously thinks there are a ton of ex-teammates who are better than anyone he's currently playing with.

Oh if only he could once again be reunited with Maggs & Royce on some sort of "uber-team".....

Does it mean much, no. Does it mean he's a cancer? No. But it certainly shows that he's not the team-first, good chemistry guy he's made out to be. Guys like that know how to comment on ex-teammates without having any potential reflection on their current team.

By the way, if Frank had made these exact comments a year or 2 ago about an ex-teammate, he'd be jumped all over by the mediots. But they love Paulie because he's always good for a quote. In reality, Paulie could take a lesson or 8 from Frank on how to handle such questions. And on how to hit. And on how to take walks. And on and on and on.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Part of being the best means you are out on the field everyday putting up consistent numbers. Maggs was in the field everyday. He played a very good right field and put up AWESOME numbers every year. He was better than Frank in that time.

I know you dislike Paul, why so much I don't know, nor do I care, but you are at the point where you are reaching a little bit now.

No. Part of being the best is being the best. Otherwise Tom Seaver would be better than Sandy Koufax or Cal Ripken Jr. Better than Ken Griffey Jr. They're not because being the best means you are...get ready for this...

BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

Not on the field more than everyone else. It's not like he's Brien Taylor or something and we're speculating. We know for a fact that Maggs can't sniff Frank. Period.

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 11:44 AM
No. Part of being the best is being the best. Otherwise Tom Seaver would be better than Sandy Koufax or Cal Ripken Jr. Better than Ken Griffey Jr. They're not because being the best means you are...get ready for this...

BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

Not on the field more than everyone else. It's not like he's Brien Taylor or something and we're speculating. We know for a fact that Maggs can't sniff Frank. Period.

Overall yes. Frank is a much better player than Maggs. There is really no comparison. But from 99-04, Maggs was the better player. I would imagine Paul would have a pretty good idea too considering he's been around them, in the clubhouse, on the field for that time period. But, like I say, nobody is going to change anyone's minds here. Let's just drop it.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Overall yes. Frank is a much better player than Maggs. There is really no comparison. But from 99-04, Maggs was the better player. I would imagine Paul would have a pretty good idea too considering he's been around them, in the clubhouse, on the field for that time period. But, like I say, nobody is going to change anyone's minds here. Let's just drop it.

Fine. For the sake of argument I will grant that he might have been the best. He was certainly very good. But even if he were the best by a far sight (which he wasn't), there's still no excuse for Paulie running his jawline about it.

See Frank Thomas' comment for a perfect example of how not to be a dip****.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 11:55 AM

So I read this quote last night and I just laughed and said to myself "How long before this in on WSI? It's gonna be at 100 replies by tomorrow morning." Turns out I was a little off. There haven't been 100 replies yet. But I knew exactly who would be out in full force bashing Konerko in this thread. I told myself I wasn't going to read this thread. Whoops. Then when I opened it and read your post I realized this would be the best post in this thread. I figured it would all be downhill from here and I should just stop here. Well, I proceeded on and sure enough, I was right. It was all downhill from here.

And for anyone who is going to claim that Konerko said this as a dig at Frank, don't bother. There are plenty more quotes in recent years where Konerko went out of his way to praise Frank.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 11:55 AM

Sigh.

If you guys read Frank's statement you'll understand the difference. At least I hope you can...:rolleyes:

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 11:56 AM

ChiSox7 the voice of reason instead of the one freaking out and overreacting? :o: :tongue: :tongue:

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
So I read this quote last night and I just laughed and said to myself "How long before this in on WSI? It's gonna be at 100 replies by tomorrow morning." Turns out I was a little off. There haven't been 100 replies yet. But I knew exactly who would be out in full force bashing Konerko in this thread. I told myself I wasn't going to read this thread. Whoops. Then when I opened it and read your post I realized this would be the best post in this thread. I figured it would all be downhill from here and I should just stop here. Well, I proceeded on and sure enough, I was right. It was all downhill from here.

And for anyone who is going to claim that Konerko said this as a dig at Frank, don't bother. There are plenty more quotes in recent years where Konerko went out of his way to praise Frank.

good grief Jjav. It's not that I think he hates Frank or doesn't respect his skill. It's that the quotes are careless and to the untrained eye (apparently the only trained eyes have made clear who they are in this thread :tongue: ) it certainly appears to be a shot at frank.

I just don't understand why Paulie finds it necessary to compare past players to current players. Honestly...what good can come of that?

ChiSox7
07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
ChiSox7 the voice of reason instead of the one freaking out and overreacting? :o: :tongue: :tongue:

I know, scary isn't it. :tongue:

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 12:10 PM
good grief Jjav. It's not that I think he hates Frank or doesn't respect his skill. It's that the quotes are careless and to the untrained eye (apparently the only trained eyes have made clear who they are in this thread :tongue: ) it certainly appears to be a shot at frank.

I just don't understand why Paulie finds it necessary to compare past players to current players. Honestly...what good can come of that?

Honestly, I don't care. Like I said, Konerko has gone out of his way to credit Frank in the past. Konerko has constantly called Frank a great player, talked about the big impact Frank has on a team, and called Frank a first-ballot HOF'er.

And like Fredsox said, this isn't even a shot at Frank. As an all-around player, there is little doubt Maggs is better. Frank is a DH and a great HR hitter and on-base guy. That's all he has been while Konerko has been here. In his prime with the Sox, which Konerko was here for, Maggs was a solid fielder with a decent arm. Maggs could steal some bases and had decent speed. Maggs could hit to all fields well and no doubt had the best opposite field power on the team. So saying Maggs was the best player here was a perfectly acceptable statement. In fact, it's true. I would say Maggs is the best player the Sox have had recently. That doesn't mean Maggs was the best hitter, fielder or base runner the Sox have had. That just means that when you put everything together, Maggs was the most complete player the Sox have had in a while.

That's about all I have for this thread. I have no interest in doing this again. I'm not gonna sit here and go back and forth about Konerko as a teammate. The bottom line is that none of us is in that clubhouse day in and day out. Sitting here and pretending like we can tell exactly the type of teammate Konerko is based on a few comments is pointless. Maybe he's a great teammate like the people who are around this team believe (both players and media). Maybe Konerko is a horrible teammate and the media and his teammates are making things up. Either way, we don't know for sure, just like we don't know for sure whether any player is a good teammate or bad teammate.

FarWestChicago
07-18-2005, 12:10 PM
So I read this quote last night and I just laughed and said to myself "How long before this in on WSI?I'm glad you find Konerko's big mouth funny. I know you aren't an idiot like some of the aPaulogists, so I'm a bit befuddled why you can't tell the difference between the proper way to speak about an ex-teammate, like Big Frank, and the improper way to go about it, like Wheels. :?:

TornLabrum
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Apparently doesn't think much of the talent on this 61-29 team, because he obviously thinks there are a ton of ex-teammates who are better than anyone he's currently playing with.

Oh if only he could once again be reunited with Maggs & Royce on some sort of "uber-team".....

Does it mean much, no. Does it mean he's a cancer? No. But it certainly shows that he's not the team-first, good chemistry guy he's made out to be. Guys like that know how to comment on ex-teammates without having any potential reflection on their current team.

By the way, if Frank had made these exact comments a year or 2 ago about an ex-teammate, he'd be jumped all over by the mediots. But they love Paulie because he's always good for a quote. In reality, Paulie could take a lesson or 8 from Frank on how to handle such questions. And on how to hit. And on how to take walks. And on and on and on.

*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

FarWestChicago
07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
And like Fredsox said, this isn't even a shot at Frank. As an all-around player, there is little doubt Maggs is better.It doesn't matter. Like I said, it doesn't matter if Maggs makes Babe Ruth look like The Choice. You don't need to say it that way. Let me use a different example. Let's say a friend of yours has a baby and you go over to see it. Now you think this baby is ugly. You don't tell them that. Why? It's called behaving in a civilized manner. You say something about the baby being cute, thereby preserving the feelings of your friends and your own dignity. Note the "dignity" word. :D:

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm glad you find Konerko's big mouth funny. I know you aren't an idiot like some of the aPaulogists, so I'm a bit befuddled why you can't tell the difference between the proper way to speak about an ex-teammate, like Big Frank, and the improper way to go about it, like Wheels. :?:

I'll admit it's a questionable comment. But that's it. Should he have said Maggs is the best player he has played with? Probably not. But at the same time, does that make him an awful teammate like some people here want to exaggerate the comment? No.

I have no problem with anyone saying that Konerko says things he shouldn't. What I don't understand is why people have to use those comments as a reason why Konerko is a bad teammate when absolutely no one here knows for sure whether Konerko is a bad teammate. So why assume the worst? Why not just assume that Konerko is a good teammate until it's otherwise proven? I don't get it.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM
I'll admit it's a questionable comment. But that's it. Should he have said Maggs is the best player he has played with? Probably not. But at the same time, does that make him an awful teammate like some people here want to exaggerate the comment? No.

I have no problem with anyone saying that Konerko says things he shouldn't. What I don't understand is why people have to use those comments as a reason why Konerko is a bad teammate when absolutely no one here knows for sure whether Konerko is a bad teammate. So why assume the worst? Why not just assume that Konerko is a good teammate until it's otherwise proven? I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't even think he's a bad teammate. I just wish he would shut the hell up because honestly I too am sick of these threads.

However, unlike you I don't think they're unfounded.

jshanahanjr
07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Last year on that horrible Max Show on Fox Net PK said Big Frank was a better hitter than Maggs because he had done it over a much longer period, but both were awesome. Where were all the posts then?

FarWestChicago
07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Don't get me wrong - I don't even think he's a bad teammate. I just wish he would shut the hell up because honestly I too am sick of these threads.

However, unlike you I don't think they're unfounded.:thumbsup:

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Let's turn the tables a bit and examine this using counterfactual analysis:

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if in 2002 Paul Konerko was coming off an injury and not playing up to his career standards, and Frank made the All-Star team, and Frank called out Paulie in the media for being a bad influence on the clubhouse?

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank about Uribe's deke of Derrek Lee, and Frank replied with Paulie's words about it being classless and "you don't do that."

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank about Royce Clayton's two errors, and Frank replied with Paulie's words that Clayton was the best shortstop with whom he had every played?

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank about Maggs, and Frank replied with Paulie's words about Maggs being the greatest player with whom he had played?

Finally, in a completely hypothetical scenario: How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank who was the greatest first baseman with whom he had ever played, and Frank answered "Julio Franco" or "Dan Pasqua" (who both played some 1B for the Sox at times in the early/mid-90s - not that many of Konerko's biggest fans would remember that, though).

Search deep within yourselves, FOGIDPK/aApaulogists. If you are intellectually honest, you know it's true there's an enormous double standard that greatly benefits Konerko.

Just because the media doesn't report on something (Konerko being seen by his teammates as a diarrhea-mouthed, poor hitting, slow-footed media whore), doesn't mean it's not true! (KW's numerous "under the radar" moves alone proves this!)

It's plainly obvious to all but the most blinded and lemminglike FOGIDPK/aPaulogists that Konerko gets a free pass.

The only thing that might be a matter of debate is "WHY?"

Mickster
07-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm waiting for this before I hurl...

"He's the best pitcher I've ever played with!"

:ritchie
"Thanks, Big Guy!"

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Last year on that horrible Max Show on Fox Net PK said Big Frank was a better hitter than Maggs because he had done it over a much longer period, but both were awesome. Where were all the posts then?

if you wanted to see the thread then you should have posted it. I don't watch IMAX because it's the ****tiest show ever (not including ESPN).

If you would have posted it I would have put a reply in saying "Good for Paulie," like I did in the ONE other Positive Paulie thread.

And then most likely you would have complained because the thread wasn't 100 replies long.

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 12:23 PM

However, unlike you I don't think they're unfounded.

Then we agree. These threads are a waste of time. So let's leave this thread alone and let it gradually fade to the bottom and eventually out of our site.

Mickster
07-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Then we agree. These threads are a waste of time. So let's leave this thread alone and let it gradually fade to the bottom and eventually out of our site.

bump. :redneck

TaylorStSox
07-18-2005, 01:57 PM
The bothersome thing about this is that it's a pattern. Paulie, I know you love doing your best Mark Grace impression, but **** and let the PR guys and the coaches talk to the media.

woodenleg
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Sorry....I still can't bring myself to hate Maggs. I know that's some
unwritten "rule", and I think it's kind of petty to obsess on some tiff that was reported in the media (probably exaggerated, too).

Paid Santiago
07-18-2005, 04:29 PM
No, but he can ****.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

PennStater98r
07-18-2005, 04:35 PM

"Need a good quote?
You can count on me."

I see Paulie managing the White Sox around the year 2021 - with less cursing.

:ozzie The press loved me as a player and they love me as a manager too!

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
FOGIDPK, What does the GID in this stand for?

SoxEd
07-18-2005, 04:48 PM
FOGIDPK, What does the GID in this stand for?

I should imagine it stands for 'Grounds Into Double', as in PK has an awful lot of GIDP...

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Maybe I am just not that clever, but I got a good laugh out of it. Thanks SoxEd! I was trying to think to myself what could GID mean but I never thought of the GIDP. haha

:rolling:

PaulDrake
07-18-2005, 04:51 PM
The bothersome thing about this is that it's a pattern. Paulie, I know you love doing your best Mark Grace impression, but **** and let the PR guys and the coaches talk to the media. Amen to that, he is seriously on my nerves with his ill timed and ill considered remarks. Use the energy to get that batting average up a few points.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Amen to that, he is seriously on my nerves with his ill timed and ill considered remarks. Use the energy to get that batting average up a few points.

more like fifty or sixty

munchman33
07-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Let's turn the tables a bit and examine this using counterfactual analysis:

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if in 2002 Paul Konerko was coming off an injury and not playing up to his career standards, and Frank made the All-Star team, and Frank called out Paulie in the media for being a bad influence on the clubhouse?

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank about Uribe's deke of Derrek Lee, and Frank replied with Paulie's words about it being classless and "you don't do that."

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank about Royce Clayton's two errors, and Frank replied with Paulie's words that Clayton was the best shortstop with whom he had every played?

How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank about Maggs, and Frank replied with Paulie's words about Maggs being the greatest player with whom he had played?

Finally, in a completely hypothetical scenario: How would the media react, and how would the FOGIDPK/aPaulogists react, if a reporter had asked Frank who was the greatest first baseman with whom he had ever played, and Frank answered "Julio Franco" or "Dan Pasqua" (who both played some 1B for the Sox at times in the early/mid-90s - not that many of Konerko's biggest fans would remember that, though).

Search deep within yourselves, FOGIDPK/aApaulogists. If you are intellectually honest, you know it's true there's an enormous double standard that greatly benefits Konerko.

Just because the media doesn't report on something (Konerko being seen by his teammates as a diarrhea-mouthed, poor hitting, slow-footed media whore), doesn't mean it's not true! (KW's numerous "under the radar" moves alone proves this!)

It's plainly obvious to all but the most blinded and lemminglike FOGIDPK/aPaulogists that Konerko gets a free pass.

The only thing that might be a matter of debate is "WHY?"

Frater, you might be the smartest man I know.

voodoochile
07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
On the other hand, how do we know that any thought of your's has an iota of truth?

We don't just as we don't know what Chisox7 was saying is true.

There have been plenty of cases thorughout the history of team sports where teammates have bitten their tongue rather than say something bad about a teammate. Once that teammate leaves, the gloves come off and we hear the truth.

For cripes sake, no one said anything bad about ShamME* until after he left town...:?:

voodoochile
07-18-2005, 06:15 PM
The biggest difference is in the minds of the Konerko haters

On the other hand, maybe it's the people who think PK can do no wrong who have a problem seeing the forest for the trees...:rolleyes:

voodoochile
07-18-2005, 06:24 PM
One final point and then (maybe) I'll walk away (but I love these threads, I admit it)...

The best that can be said about this comment is that it wasn't as bad as the other ones he has made in the past.

Oh and if Frank said that Maggs was the best (position) player he ever played with, he might have been correct. But... Paulie ain't Frank...:?:

howzer12
07-18-2005, 06:27 PM
He's our enemy now!!:angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-18-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm speechless anything this stupid and ill-considered could drop out of the mouth of somebody regarded as a "clubhouse leader" by only the most apologetic and ignorant Sox fans here.

:thud:

This guy is easily the most overpriced worthless piece of **** on the '05 White Sox.

I can't wait for next year when I can say...

:ohno
"Not to offend anyone, but Paul Konerko was the most overpriced worthless piece of **** the Sox ever had."

maurice
07-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Why are people comparing a healthy Ordonez to an injured Thomas?!? Konerko said, "when [Ordonez is] healthy and playing well, I've never played with anybody better." Therefore, the fair comparison is healthy Ordonez v. healthy Thomas.

A healthy Ordonez had a bunch of good years and only one very good year, while a healthy Thomas is an MVP candidate:
Healthy Ordonez = .300+ AVE, 30 HR, 120 RBI, .920 OPS.
Healthy Thomas = .300+ AVE, 40+ HR, 130+ RBI, 1.000 OPS.

Rather compare them both in years when they're not healthy?:
Unhealthy Ordonez (2004-05) = .280 AVE, 12 HR, 50 RBI, .800 OPS.
Unhealthy Thomas (2004-05) = .260 AVE, 29 HR, 74 RBI, .980 OPS.

Please don't tell me about defense. Ordonez was an overrated defensive player at a corner position, lollygagged half the time, and lacked the big arm you want from a RF.

Besides, even if Ordonez > Thomas, Konerko still needs to stop making negative comparisons about his current teammates in favor of *******s who no longer play here. His teammates understand that the truth is not a defense to a pointless insult. Otherwise, you'd hear comments like:

:rowand
"No offense, but I've never played with anybody who runs slower than Konerko."

:burly
"No offense, but I've never played with anybody who has a mouth bigger than Konerko's."

:hurt
"No offense, but I've never played with anybody who has an ass fatter than Konerko's."

You don't hear this sort of comment because other Sox players have class, while Konerko is something that rhymes with class.

DaleJRFan
07-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Maybe GIDPK Slowerko wants to play for the Tigers. C'mon KW, work it...

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Unless the reporter was a complete idiot, I'm sure he/she didn't walk up to Konerko and ask, "Who is the greatest player with whom you've played?"

Rather, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he/she asked Konerko for a comment about Maggs making his first appearance at the Cell as a member of another team.

If that's true, there's no reason whatsoever for Paulie to phrase his comments about Maggs the way he did. None!

There is an explanation, however. He has a chronic case of oral diarrhea.

GregoryEtc
07-18-2005, 07:09 PM
It is my belief that Paul Konerko could come out publicly as someone who doesn't like peas and there would be those on this board that would use that as evidence that Konerko is a clubhouse cancer and demand his pea-hating head on a silver platter. It is for this reason that...
:threadsucks

RallyBowl
07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
It's official!

:tomatoaward
Another tomato for a paulie bashing thread!

:walnuts "Magglio Ordonez is soooooo dreamy!"

PaleHoseGeorge
07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
It is my belief that Paul Konerko could come out publicly as someone who doesn't like peas and there would be those on this board that would use that as evidence that Konerko is a clubhouse cancer and demand his pea-hating head on a silver platter. It is for this reason that...

It's my belief that somebody will whine just like you when Paul Konerko inevitably sticks his foot in his mouth again.

Konerko is a media whore. Most of us understand why having media whores on the team is detrimental to a winning cause The rest of you just whine and bitch because we keep pointing it out for you.

PicktoCLick72
07-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Meanwhile the Sox win another game.

ShoelessJoeS
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I agree. What's so hard about just saying, "He's a great player," and leaving it at that?
a question everyone is wondering...however, this is GIDPK, cant expect much of him on an off the field :tongue:

kevingrt
07-19-2005, 12:23 AM

All that really matters until the offseason when we really need to address the future of PK and this team at 1B.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 01:31 AM

It has been raining non-stop for three days. I crap in my glove compartment. The next day it stops raining. My crap must have made the rain stop.

Or even better:

It has been raining steadily for 3 months. I crap in my glove compartment. The next day it rains. My crap is an important factor in the production of rain.

FarWestChicago
07-19-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm speechless anything this stupid and ill-considered could drop out of the mouth of somebody regarded as a "clubhouse leader" by only the most apologetic and ignorant Sox fans here.At this point it's pretty obvious the aPaulogist club is something like a reverse Mensa, you have to score at least 2 standard deviations below normal to gain entry. My gawd. :o:

Fantosme
07-19-2005, 01:51 AM

"Chris Singleton is the best CF I ever played with. I mean, unlike ARow, Chris would get an extra base hit more than once a month."

GregoryEtc
07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
It's my belief that somebody will whine just like you when Paul Konerko inevitably sticks his foot in his mouth again.

Konerko is a media whore. Most of us understand why having media whores on the team is detrimental to a winning cause The rest of you just whine and bitch because we keep pointing it out for you.

This is all a bunch on nonsense. Is everyone here so hard up for drama that they need to make a huge deal about everything Paulie says? Then go watch Days of Our Lives! Good grief, put things in perspective! These are grown men who play a game for a living that we're talking about. It's not international diplomacy!!! If Paulie's honest opinion is that Mags was one, if not the, best player he ever played with, who the hell cares? Mags was (AND IS!) frigging good! And all of us here cheered him on when he wore the Black and White! Paulie didn't get to play with Thomas when he was putting up immortal numbers. But lets all be drama queens and say that Paulie is on a quest to break up the team because he dared to speak his mind. Ugh!

I have to go, All My Children is on soon and today we find out if Erica actually has a evil twin and if that twin was the one who threw Dixie down the well!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 09:28 AM
This is all a bunch on nonsense. Is everyone here so hard up for drama that they need to make a huge deal about everything Paulie says? Then go watch Days of Our Lives! Good grief, put things in perspective! These are grown men who play a game for a living that we're talking about. It's not international diplomacy!!! If Paulie's honest opinion is that Mags was one, if not the, best player he ever played with, who the hell cares? Mags was (AND IS!) frigging good! And all of us here cheered him on when he wore the Black and White! Paulie didn't get to play with Thomas when he was putting up immortal numbers. But lets all be drama queens and say that Paulie is on a quest to break up the team because he dared to speak his mind. Ugh!

I have to go, All My Children is on soon and today we find out if Erica actually has a evil twin and if that twin was the one who threw Dixie down the well!

The way you whine, no teal is needed to tell us how you're into daytime soap operas.

When Konerko finally shuts his ****ing mouth, we won't have any more opportunities for you to whine around here. Meanwhile, go watch your soaps.

Here's a tissue... blow.

GregoryEtc
07-19-2005, 10:52 AM
That was an eloquent response. You should be a writer for a living.

The fact still remains that Paulie gave an opinion that was not off the wall. "Mags is good" Wow... Groundbreaking stuff there!

If you ask me, anyone who's ego couldn't handle Paulie's opinion is the guy I don't want on my team. THAT GUY is the cancer, not Paulie!

All of the anti-paulies on this board no better than the media, blowing up a non-story just to fill their day. Has anyone asked what his teammates thought of the comment? No, because his teammates don't care! You know why? Because they're grown men. It is the people of THIS BOARD that want to turn everything he says into National Enquirer news.

"Oh but what about the time he 'called out' Uribe for that play at second?"

Yeah, that really seems to have hurt the team. Take it for what it was, a pleasant response to a mundane question that didn't mean anything. If anything, Paulie was just saying something nice so he wouldn't be dragged into the already over-hyped media-driven Magglio drama. Let it go!

RKMeibalane
07-19-2005, 10:55 AM

The fact still remains that Paulie gave an opinion that was not off the wall. "Mags is good" Wow... Groundbreaking stuff there!

If you ask me, anyone who's ego couldn't handle Paulie's opinion is the guy I don't want on my team. THAT GUY is the cancer, not Paulie!

All of the anti-paulies on this board no better than the media, blowing up a non-story just to fill their day. Has anyone asked what his teammates thought of the comment? No, because his teammates don't care! You know why? Because they're grown men. It is the people of THIS BOARD that want to turn everything he says into National Enquirer news.

Yeah, that really seems to have hurt the team. Take it for what it was, a pleasant response to a mundane question that didn't mean anything. If anything, Paulie was just saying something nice so he wouldn't be dragged into the already over-hyped media-driven Magglio drama. Let it go!

Good gawd! Some of you aPaulogists are all but Flubs fans.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 11:01 AM

If you don't understand what we are getting upset with Konerko what's the point? You take our criticism of Paulie's motormouth personally, so how could we possibly convince you that giving impromptu opinions of ex-players comparing them to current teammates is a bad idea?

You're going to find a way to distort the issue like everyone else always does, and like I'm sure Cub fans did whenever Sammy Sosa showed up late for spring training or played his boombox loud.

"the Cubs made the playoffs in 1998 and 2003 and because no one on the team at the time said anything about Sammy it must mean that he was a good influence on the team, or at least not a bad one!"

"You don't know that the players hate Sammy, they might love him!"

And you know what? As mind-numbing as these responses are, they ignore the main issue:

Maybe everyone on the White Sox is unphased by the moronic comments Paulie makes. Maybe Paulie is right on and Clayton and Magglio are the best players he's ever played with at their respective positions. However, just because everyone ignores an ******* and just because he's technically correct doesn't make it right.

Example: If I work at a company and the mailroom boy is handicapped but he is working there as a favor to the boss...I shouldn't go around saying "Man I miss Jack, the previous mailroom guy. He was easily the best mailrom guy ever. I mean, no offense to Sparky but Jack was just the best," even if people are going to say "Oh, we're used to that. It doesn't bother us. It's just Chris being Chris."

It's still not right to run down your current coworkers at the expense of your past ones. In the Clayton case it was flat out inaccurate. In the Maggs case it was perhaps a factual statement. Both were equally stupid for him to say.

But now you're going to tell me how I'm missing the point and I just hate Paulie.

whatever.

RKMeibalane
07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
If you don't understand what we are getting upset with Konerko what's the point? You take our criticism of Paulie's motormouth personally, so how could we possibly convince you that giving impromptu opinions of ex-players comparing them to current teammates is a bad idea?

You're going to find a way to distort the issue like everyone else always does, and like I'm sure Cub fans did whenever Sammy Sosa showed up late for spring training or played his boombox loud.

"the Cubs made the playoffs in 1998 and 2003 and because no one on the team at the time said anything about Sammy it must mean that he was a good influence on the team, or at least not a bad one!"

"You don't know that the players hate Sammy, they might love him!"

And you know what? As mind-numbing as these responses are, they ignore the main issue:

Maybe everyone on the White Sox is unphased by the moronic comments Paulie makes. Maybe Paulie is right on and Clayton and Magglio are the best players he's ever played with at their respective positions. However, just because everyone ignores an ******* and just because he's technically correct doesn't make it right.

Example: If I work at a company and the mailroom boy is handicapped but he is working there as a favor to the boss...I shouldn't go around saying "Man I miss Jack, the previous mailroom guy. He was easily the best mailrom guy ever. I mean, no offense to Sparky but Jack was just the best," even if people are going to say "Oh, we're used to that. It doesn't bother us. It's just Chris being Chris."

It's still not right to run down your current coworkers at the expense of your past ones. In the Clayton case it was flat out inaccurate. In the Maggs case it was perhaps a factual statement. Both were equally stupid for him to say.

But now you're going to tell me how I'm missing the point and I just hate Paulie.

whatever.

Well put. It's common knowledge that one doesn't bad-mouth his co-workers, regardless of what he really thinks of them. Konerko is criticized because he just can't keep his ****ing mouth shut. Let me state for the record that I don't think any of Konerko's comments individually are that serious. However, the fact that he has a history of making questionable remarks to the media about current or former teammates is what worries me.

Paulie would be better off not talking to the media, period. The same goes for Frank Thomas, Ozzie Guillen, and everyone else on this team. The media doesn't give a **** about the Chicago White Sox. Why should the White Sox give a **** about them?

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 11:10 AM
"If I were the GM I would give both Royce Clayton and Magglio Ordonez $100 Million to sign with the White Sox."

:KW
"Good thing you aren't the GM"

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Well put. It's common knowledge that one doesn't bad-mouth his co-workers, regardless of what he really thinks of them. Konerko is criticized because he just can't keep his ****ing mouth shut. Let me state for the record that I don't think any of Konerko's comments individually are that serious. However, the fact that he has a history of making questionable remarks to the media about current or former teammates is what worries me.

Paulie would be better off not talking to the media, period. The same goes for Frank Thomas, Ozzie Guillen, and everyone else on this team. The media doesn't give a **** about the Chicago White Sox. Why should the White Sox give a **** about them?

I agree with everything you said in this post, especially the last part, except for the fact that it assumes that the team would be hurt by what Paul has said. All indications are, however, that the team hasn't even taken notice of what Paulie has said. Certainly the media doesn't, because there have been no individual stories about it. So far, the only people that SEEM, which is of course the key word, to be affected by what he has said are the people on this board. You don't hear about it on TV, in the papers or from the team. You don't hear it from the biggest mouth in baseball, OZZIE, who has something to say about everything.

Now as fans everybody has a right to say they are offended by it, and can certainly tell him to ****, but none of us can assume that this has any bearing on anything outside of this message board when nothing has been REMOTELY printed or written or said about it. It'd be one thing if ESPN and the Tribune and the likes were talking about it, but they aren't. It obviously hasn't affected the team play. The best thing is we don't even know if his teammates even heard or care about his statements. I bet Juan doesn't even know that he said any of this stuff. He could hardly speak English, and if he could, I bet he wouldn't care, because he's not a 15 year old.

Now if we want to argue that he should keep his mouth shut because he offends some fans, thats one thing, because obviously it affects some fans on this board. As it is, however, nobody needs to say it affects the team or management or the media, because there are ZERO signs that it has, and if it was a big deal, you can bet the media would have picked up on it. As it is, all these type of statements do is piss of a small portion of the White Sox fan base, who coincidentally, don't like Paul Konerko.

So everybody can say it hurts the fans, but nobody can sit here and say it hurts the team, because so far there are ZERO, NADA, NO indications that it has hurt the team in anyway. This thread needs to die.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I agree with everything you said in this post, especially the last part, except for the fact that it assumes that the team would be hurt by what Paul has said. All indications are, however, that the team hasn't even taken notice of what Paulie has said. Certainly the media doesn't, because there have been no individual stories about it. So far, the only people that SEEM, which is of course the key word, to be affected by what he has said are the people on this board. You don't hear about it on TV, in the papers or from the team. You don't hear it from the biggest mouth in baseball, OZZIE, who has something to say about everything.

Now as fans everybody has a right to say they are offended by it, and can certainly tell him to ****, but none of us can assume that this has any bearing on anything outside of this message board when nothing has been REMOTELY printed or written or said about it. It'd be one thing if ESPN and the Tribune and the likes were talking about it, but they aren't. It obviously hasn't affected the team play. The best thing is we don't even know if his teammates even heard or care about his statements. I bet Juan doesn't even know that he said any of this stuff. He could hardly speak English, and if he could, I bet he wouldn't care, because he's not a 15 year old.

Now if we want to argue that he should keep his mouth shut because he offends some fans, thats one thing, because obviously it affects some fans on this board. As it is, however, nobody needs to say it affects the team or management or the media, because there are ZERO signs that it has, and if it was a big deal, you can bet the media would have picked up on it. As it is, all these type of statements do is piss of a small portion of the White Sox fan base, who coincidentally, don't like Paul Konerko.

So everybody can say it hurts the fans, but nobody can sit here and say it hurts the team, because so far there are ZERO, NADA, NO indications that it has hurt the team in anyway. This thread needs to die.

Konerko will be gone next season. It will be done in a classy way -- not via the media. If anything comes out publicly it will be because the Media Whore opened his ****ing mouth again.

Guillen, Williams and everyone else in the Sox organization never said anything but nice things to the media about Magglio until AFTER Maggs went after them personally and publicly -- via the media.

Why any of us would believe the Media Whore could be expected to keep his ****ing mouth shut next winter is yet another mystery only the aPaulogists and FOGIDPK can explain.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 11:36 AM

:violin:

It hurts being played for a chump over and over again, doesn't it?

The Media Whore will not shut his ****ing mouth. So maybe you should leave, because your lot is not going to improve around here anytime soon. To hear the aPaulogists and FOGIDPK tell it, the conduct that constitutes being a good teammate clearly doesn't apply to the Media Whore.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM

Read this and learn to stop using moron logic:

It has been raining non-stop for three days. I crap in my glove compartment. The next day it stops raining. My crap must have made the rain stop.

Or even better:

It has been raining steadily for 3 months. I crap in my glove compartment. The next day it rains. My crap is an important factor in the production of rain.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Konerko will be gone next season. It will be done in a classy way -- not via the media. If anything comes out publicly it will be because the Media Whore opened his ****ing mouth again.

Guillen, Williams and everyone else in the Sox organization never said anything but nice things to the media about Magglio until AFTER Maggs went after them personally and publicly -- via the media.

Why any of us would believe the Media Whore could be expected to keep his ****ing mouth shut next winter is yet another mystery only the aPaulogists and FOGIDPK can explain.

All I'm saying is this. We don't know what his teammates/manager/front office thinks. It's becoming obvious that it's a non story to them and certainly the media. Now if this was the situation like a couple of years ago when he called out Frank, and was a real dick about it, the media would be all over it with stories like they were then. But we haven't seen any of that. Everything we've heard for the past couple of years is that Paul is a good teammate from his team. Do they mean it? Who knows. But all I'm saying is you can't take a couple of instances where Paul says something, and says it affects anybody in the organization, when it doesn't bother anyone involved, which tells me that its a non issue until proven otherwise. Now, if he leaves this winter and then stories come out, that is one thing, you can bash him away for hurting the team. But as it is, the only thing he appears to be hurting is some message board posters, and most certainly not the team. Now if you have a source in the organization that says otherwise, then I have to reexamine the situation, but as it is, the team, media and everybody else in the world appears oblivious to it all.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Read this and learn to stop using moron logic:

Impressive reply. Really thought out. And it proves.........well, nothing. I'm happy to see, however, that you think that analogy proves anything. In fact, it proves my point. We don't know what his team thinks. We don't know whether they care or not. Whether they like him or not. You are talking like you are the authority on how they feel when in reality, you have absolutely no clue. But you are bound and determined to bash on somebody, so you'll just assume that the team, media and everyone else thinks like you do when there is NO evidence to prove that point. Only the thought that if you are hurt by what he says, then obviously somebody else (the people who matter, the team) thinks like that. Talk about moron logic.

We don't know if they care, we don't know if they don't care. Until somebody in the media (who usually does a good job of ferreting out the negative stories in sports) or on the team shows otherwise you can't sit there and talk like you know how they feel. As it is, all you know is that his comments hurt your feelings. I'm sure he'd love to apologize to you.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
All I'm saying is this. We don't know what his teammates/manager/front office thinks. It's becoming obvious that it's a non story to them and certainly the media. Now if this was the situation like a couple of years ago when he called out Frank, and was a real dick about it, the media would be all over it with stories like they were then. But we haven't seen any of that. Everything we've heard for the past couple of years is that Paul is a good teammate from his team. Do they mean it? Who knows. But all I'm saying is you can't take a couple of instances where Paul says something, and says it affects anybody in the organization, when it doesn't bother anyone involved, which tells me that its a non issue until proven otherwise. Now, if he leaves this winter and then stories come out, that is one thing, you can bash him away for hurting the team. But as it is, the only thing he appears to be hurting is some message board posters, and most certainly not the team. Now if you have a source in the organization that says otherwise, then I have to reexamine the situation, but as it is, the team, media and everybody else in the world appears oblivious to it all.

Bull****. The only thing that is "obvious" is that the White Sox aren't going to get distracted from a terrific season by responding in public to the Media Whore's latest diarrhea mouth missteps. As any little leaguer knows, it's the clubhouse code to keep this **** private. Kudos to the Sox for not letting it become a public distraction.

And as for the media's silence, they're great at holding their tongue for personal favorites, especially Media Whores like Paul Konerko who feed them the quotes. (See "Soso, Scammin Shammy").

Kenny Williams has a well-known reputation for weeding out guys causing trouble in the clubhouse. He can't stop the Media Whore's teammates from resenting what the Media Whore says to the media (over and over again) but he isn't the sort of GM to sit back, ignore the problem and do nothing at all either.

You think Williams isn't offended by this bull**** coming from the mouth of his overpriced middling talent firstbasemen? You're smoking crack.
:kukoo:

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Impressive reply. Really thought out. And it proves.........well, nothing. I'm happy to see, however, that you think that analogy proves anything. In fact, it proves my point. We don't know what his team thinks. We don't know whether they care or not. Whether they like him or not. You are talking like you are the authority on how they feel when in reality, you have absolutely no clue. But you are bound and determined to bash on somebody, so you'll just assume that the team, media and everyone else thinks like you do when there is NO evidence to prove that point. Only the thought that if you are hurt by what he says, then obviously somebody else (the people who matter, the team) thinks like that. Talk about moron logic.

It is more a refutation of people who think Paulie contributes to chemistry and is an impact on this team. Like Ilsox's reply that "yet we continue to win" as if Paulie is making a positive impact.

My opinions have nothing to do with bashing. It has more to do with not putting up with bull****.

I love contributors, and on the rare occurence when Paulie contributes I love it. However, when someone says something stupid and unprofessional (Paulie, Willie) I will get frustrated that someone would say something so retarded in the middle of such a great season.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Bull****. The only thing that is "obvious" is that the White Sox aren't going to get distracted from a terrific season by responding in public to the Media Whore's latest diarrhea mouth missteps. As any little leaguer knows, it's the clubhouse code to keep this **** private. Kudos to the Sox for not letting it become a public distraction.

And as for the media's silence, they're great at holding their tongue for personal favorites, especially Media Whores like Paul Konerko who feed them the quotes. (See "Soso, Scammin Shammy").

Kenny Williams has a well-known reputation for weeding out guys causing trouble in the clubhouse. He can't stop the Media Whore's teammates from resenting what the Media Whore says to the media (over and over again) but he isn't the sort of GM to sit back, ignore the problem and do nothing at all either.

You think Williams isn't offended by this bull**** coming from the mouth of his overpriced middling talent firstbasemen? You're smoking crack.

I guess it's kind of like jazz...some people if they don't know...

RKMeibalane
07-19-2005, 11:59 AM

I don't think anybody here assumes that Konerko's teammates are fed up with him. What most people are angry about is the way Konerko talks about current and former teammates in front of the media. I couldn't care less if Frank Thomas' or Mark Buehrle's feelings are hurt by what Konerko said. What I care about is whether Konerko's big mouth disrupts the dynamic of this baseball team.

It's been one day since the Media Whore started spewing this garbage. So far, what he said doesn't appear to have had an effect on how this team is playing. In fact, both Konerko and Thomas homered last night. What bothers me- and everyone else for that matter- is that the more times Konerko opens his mouth, the more likley it becomes that something he says will inhibit this team's ability to play well and win consistently. Again, please note that none of what I've said has anything to do with people's feelings. I seriously doubt that Frank Thomas gives a **** about what Konerko thinks of him, because if Paul really doesn't like Frank, that only means that he won't be invited to Frank's HOF induction.

The truth about this entire mess will come out once Konerko is gone. Paulie is the Media Whore Master, and there are always two of them on each team- no more, and no less- a master, and an apprentice. Whomever his protegee happens to be will surely shed some light on what the rest of the team really thinks about Paulie once the time is right. Until then, I don't really care what happens. I just want to see this team win.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:04 PM
What bothers me- and everyone else for that matter- is that the more times Konerko opens his mouth, the more likley it becomes that something he says will inhibit this team's ability to play well and win consistently. Again, please note that none of what I've said has anything to do with people's feelings. I seriously doubt that Frank Thomas gives a **** about what Konerko thinks of him, because if Paul really doesn't like Frank, that only means that he won't be invited to Frank's HOF induction.

Bravo! You said in one succinct paragraph what I have been trying to say in like 800 threads. Damn me, yay you.

And yet, they will still find a way to tell you that you hate Paulie.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't think anybody here assumes that Konerko's teammates are fed up with him. What most people are angry about is the way Konerko talks about current and former teammates in front of the media. I couldn't care less if Frank Thomas' or Mark Buehrle's feelings are hurt by what Konerko said. What I care about is whether Konerko's big mouth disrupts the dynamic of this baseball team.

It's been one day since the Media Whore started spewing this garbage. So far, what he said doesn't appear to have had an effect on how this team is playing. In fact, both Konerko and Thomas homered last night. What bothers me- and everyone else for that matter- is that the more times Konerko opens his mouth, the more likley it becomes that something he says will inhibit this team's ability to play well and win consistently. Again, please note that none of what I've said has anything to do with people's feelings. I seriously doubt that Frank Thomas gives a **** about what Konerko thinks of him, because if Paul really doesn't like Frank, that only means that he won't be invited to Frank's HOF induction.

The truth about this entire mess will come out once Konerko is gone. Paulie is the Media Whore Master, and there are always two of them on each team- no more, and no less- a master, and an apprentice. Whomever his protegee happens to be will surely shed some light on what the rest of the team really thinks about Paulie once the time is right. Until then, I don't really care what happens. I just want to see this team win.

But he's had multiple (according to your previous post) "problem quotes" and after each time people argue that they will hurt the team, and each time they have it. How do we even know everytime he says something it is more likely to mess up this dynamic, when we DON"T even know if his team knows what he said. How is it going to hurt anything if nobody knows or cares about it. That's what makes this team great. THey aren't a bunch of 5 year olds that let anything get to them. Appearantly they aren't distracted by what Ozzie, or Mark said.

How come nobody jumps on Mark, what he said about the Cubs pitcher would be more detrimental to ANYTHING Paul has said this year. There were big stories about it. It was a big todo. NOTHING on what Paul has said at all. ONLY from this message board. Why no Mark bashing? Hmmmm. I don't know how you can think it will affect anything when we don't even know if they know what he said. It appears they don't care if they do know. If he says, "I hate Frank Thomas," then you can bash him.

I wish I knew the email address' of the players so I could send them these threads so they could sit around and laugh their asses off.

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 12:11 PM
honestly as long as Frank isn't upset why does it matter. Konerko has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth anyways.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:11 PM

But how do you what KW is thinking? You don't. None of us do. That's my problem with these threads. People are talking like they are the authority and what they says goes. You don't know what the team thinks. You don't know what the GM thinks. None of us do. If KW weeds him out, then we have some evidence. Otherwise we have nothing.

And you say that they aren't distracted by it, but that means you ASSUME that they even know or care what he said. YOU don't know what they think. Nor do I. Because it affects you, doesn't mean it affects them. TO many people out there what Paul has said can't even be seen as a distracting statment. Just because a couple of people on a message board think it is doesn't mean anything.

You say that they don't want to put anything in the media because they look out for there favorite, but what about Paul's comments about Frank two years ago. Whoops. They weren't his "favorite" there. If it was a distractive statement it would be in the media like Buerhle's or Ozzie's comments were. Where are the seperate stories on Paul's statments?

Oops. There are none.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
But how do you what KW is thinking?

Ask Jon Rauch how I know what Kenny Williams is thinking.

Or Jim Parque.

Or Sean Lowe.

Next question.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Ask Jon Rauch how I know what Kenny Williams is thinking.

Or Jim Parque.

Or Sean Lowe.

Next question.

But these statements are different from anything like that. Like I say, these weren't even blown up like Ozzie's or Mark's earlier in the year. There are no favorites in the media. If you say something that can be negative, you are going to get tore up. Look at darling Mark McGuire earlier this year. It happened to Paul two years ago. Why is it not happening now? Because it appears these statements don't matter.

Now this is where you and I differ. I could be dead wrong. I acknowledge the fact that I have NO clue what the team is thinking. I have no clue what KW is thinking on this particular matter. Nobody does. But all the evidence I can find, as I've shown over and over, makes me believe that its not a big deal at all. The team is winning, dominating. Nobody is saying anything but good things about Paul from columnist to teammates. As it is, this seems like its not a big deal at all.

It appears we will differ on opinions. So be it.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
But these statements are different from anything like that. Like I say, these weren't even blown up like Ozzie's or Mark's earlier in the year. There are no favorites in the media. If you say something that can be negative, you are going to get tore up. Look at darling Mark McGuire earlier this year.

Are you retarded? Look at the pass Sammy got for saying Don Baylor was trying to crucify him, and everything else.

And don't use McGwire as an example. Mark McGwire was only taken down because the steroids issue made him a fall guy (deserving or not).

But honestly, are you insane? You think the media doesn't play favorites? Sosa got a free pass all the while Frank was getting bit in half for nothing. Bonds can't sneeze without the media calling him an *******. But A-Rod never gets called on hurting Yankees chemistry (we don't really know if he does, but we do know Jeter doesn't much like him...and that certainly can't help anything.)

Are you crazy?

p.s. learn how to spell McGwire. I think this is the 2nd time I've had to look at McGuire. Or are you thinking of Hillary Duff's character?

White Sox Josh
07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Are you retarded? Look at the pass Sammy got for saying Don Baylor was trying to crucify him, and everything else.

And don't use McGwire as an example. Mark McGwire was only taken down because the steroids issue made him a fall guy (deserving or not).

But honestly, are you insane? You think the media doesn't play favorites? Sosa got a free pass all the while Frank was getting bit in half for nothing. Bonds can't sneeze without the media calling him an *******. But A-Rod never gets called on hurting Yankees chemistry (we don't really know if he does, but we do know Jeter doesn't much like him...and that certainly can't help anything.)

Are you crazy?Because he is A-Rod. It's not fair but thats the way it goes.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Because he is A-Rod. It's not fair but thats the way it goes.

the point is here: .

You are here. You missed the point completely.

that's exactly what I was saying: CERTAIN PLAYERS GET SPECIAL TREATMENT BY THE MEDIA. I'm not saying it's not fair or it's fair. But don't pretend the media is going to treat something Paulie says the same way they treat something Ozzie or Frank say.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
But these statements are different from anything like that. Like I say, these weren't even blown up like Ozzie's or Mark's earlier in the year. There are no favorites in the media. If you say something that can be negative, you are going to get tore up. Look at darling Mark McGuire earlier this year. It happened to Paul two years ago. Why is it not happening now? Because it appears these statements don't matter.

Now this is where you and I differ. I could be dead wrong. I acknowledge the fact that I have NO clue what the team is thinking. I have no clue what KW is thinking on this particular matter. Nobody does. But all the evidence I can find, as I've shown over and over, makes me believe that its not a big deal at all. The team is winning, dominating. Nobody is saying anything but good things about Paul from columnist to teammates. As it is, this seems like its not a big deal at all.

It appears we will differ on opinions. So be it.

I have NO IDEA what you're even trying to say here. :?:

Nobody says or writes mean things about Konerko so he must be okay? Is that your point?
:o:

:nandrolone
"Chisox7 is a great character witness for Media Whores like me!"

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Are you crazy?

p.s. learn how to spell McGwire. I think this is the 2nd time I've had to look at McGuire. Or are you thinking of Hillary Duff's character?

The media is all over Sammy now because he sucks. They were all over him at the end of last year for being the problem that killed the Cubs. They have favorites while you are a darling, but if you mess up, give them a negative story they will pound on you.

Look at a few years ago for goodness sakes. That's the PERFECT example. They crushed Paulie for what he said about Frank. He was there buddy and talker before then too. If you screw up, they will get you. Nobody has gotten on Paul this year because nobody blieves he screwed up but a couple of guys on here. Talk about being blind. The story with the person we are talking about is RIGHT there to contradict what you are saying. Paul got hammered for those comments.

But thanks for correcting my spelling!

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
The media is all over Sammy now because he sucks. They were all over him at the end of last year for being the problem that killed the Cubs. They have favorites while you are a darling, but if you mess up, give them a negative story they will pound on you.

Look at a few years ago for goodness sakes. That's the PERFECT example. They crushed Paulie for what he said about Frank. He was there buddy and talker before then too. If you screw up, they will get you. Nobody has gotten on Paul this year because nobody blieves he screwed up but a couple of guys on here. Talk about being blind. The story with the person we are talking about is RIGHT there to contradict what you are saying. Paul got hammered for those comments.

But thanks for correcting my spelling!

Well you spelled it McGuire twice. I figured you wouldn't want to keep looking like an idiot. But then you post crap like this and I wonder...

That's the point - The media didn't get on Sammy until he fell in disfavor. Paulie is in favor and in town.

I still don't understand how you are going to excuse the media on Sammy when he showed up late for training camp and called Himself Jesus Christ. The media gave him no **** at all for that.

Frank Thomas wouldn't run the ****ing shuttle drill ( he ran it later) and the media called him the Big Skirt.

Where's your messiah now, ChiSox7? Do you honestly think that the media doesn't treat Paulie differently than they treat Frank? Or any other member of the Sox (Ozzie, Kenny, Willie, Pierzynski?)

If you do...then I guess you might as well keep spelling McGwire McGuire, Hank Aaron Hank Erin because you're going to look like a moron regardless.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I have NO IDEA what you're even trying to say here. :?:

Nobody says or writes mean things about Konerko so he must be okay? Is that your point?

"Chisox7 is a great character witness for Media Whores like me!"

Well if you can't keep up I don't know what to tell you. As simple as I can say it. We have ZERO evidence to back up you guys points that what Paulie has said hurts the team. No evidence that they even know about it. No evidence that they even care. Could they care? YES. That's what I'm saying. I DON"T KNOW. BUT NEITHER DO YOU. Nobody does, so you can't sit there and talk like you know how everybody feels or thinks, because, well you don't. If you have talked to them, I would love to eat crow. Just send me the quotes. It's as simple as that. If you can't understand it, I don't know what to say.

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
It is more a refutation of people who think Paulie contributes to chemistry and is an impact on this team. Like Ilsox's reply that "yet we continue to win" as if Paulie is making a positive impact.

My opinions have nothing to do with bashing. It has more to do with not putting up with bull****.

I love contributors, and on the rare occurence when Paulie contributes I love it. However, when someone says something stupid and unprofessional (Paulie, Willie) I will get frustrated that someone would say something so retarded in the middle of such a great season.

Just wanted to point out that I hadn't replied in this thread...so I am not sure if this is from another thread or just accidentally referring to me.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Just wanted to point out that I hadn't replied in this thread...so I am not sure if this is from another thread or just accidentally referring to me.

it was originally...but that had kind of died. in this case it was referring to chisox7 and his insistence that just because we're not losing, it means that Paulie is a benign tumor.

Flight #24
07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
But he's had multiple (according to your previous post) "problem quotes" and after each time people argue that they will hurt the team, and each time they have it. How do we even know everytime he says something it is more likely to mess up this dynamic, when we DON"T even know if his team knows what he said. How is it going to hurt anything if nobody knows or cares about it. That's what makes this team great. THey aren't a bunch of 5 year olds that let anything get to them. Appearantly they aren't distracted by what Ozzie, or Mark said.

#1 - the primary point here IMO is not that Konerko will disrupt the team, it's that his on-field performance shows that he's a decent player, but not great (and not worth $8.75mil). His comments show you that at the very least, he's not exactly a great positive clubhouse presence. At the worst, he's got guys pissed at him but they know better than to mouth off to the media. So you can't say "he's a decent player, but has great chemistry value".

#2 - there's a huge, gigantic difference between saying things about players on other teams, especially negative things, and saying things about players on your own team, or inferring things about players on your own team via your comments on ex-teammates. If you can't see the difference in terms of the team trusting each other then I can't help you.

As PHG said - we'll see what happens after the season. What's fairly likely IMO is that unless Paulie takes a paycut, he'll be gone. At that point, the media will bemoan the "cheap Sox" for letting the "clubhouse leader, fan favorite" go. Translation: "We lost a guy we could always count on for a comment".

Of course, this is the same media that says "They should trade Frank Thomas because he's a clubhouse cancer". Translation: "He's not as nice to us".

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Well you spelled it McGuire twice. I figured you wouldn't want to keep looking like an idiot. But then you post crap like this and I wonder...

That's the point - The media didn't get on Sammy until he fell in disfavor. Paulie is in favor and in town.

I still don't understand how you are going to excuse the media on Sammy when he showed up late for training camp and called Himself Jesus Christ. The media gave him no **** at all for that.

Frank Thomas wouldn't run the ****ing shuttle drill ( he ran it later) and the media called him the Big Skirt.

Where's your messiah now, ChiSox7?

You are sitting there proving my point. They reported all of those things. They were all newsworthy. Positive or negative, they reported. There is nothing to report with this. Nobody cares. If the media cared they would print it. They might like Paul because he tells the truth and will talk to anyone, but they will tear him up the moment he missteps. They did it a couple of years ago, but you keep skipping the most obvious and prudent comparison, instead running off to try to fit in some example that will help your case. Look at the facts right in front of your face. The media has torn up Paul before, and if he says something wrong or negative they will tear him up again. They haven't yet, because he hasn't said anything like that.

Thanks for calling me an idiot too. It helps reinforce your point when you have none!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Well if you can't keep up I don't know what to tell you. As simple as I can say it. We have ZERO evidence to back up you guys points that what Paulie has said hurts the team. No evidence that they even know about it. No evidence that they even care. Could they care? YES. That's what I'm saying. I DON"T KNOW. BUT NEITHER DO YOU. Nobody does, so you can't sit there and talk like you know how everybody feels or thinks, because, well you don't. If you have talked to them, I would love to eat crow. Just send me the quotes. It's as simple as that. If you can't understand it, I don't know what to say.

If you can't write clearly, it's your problem not mine.

In spite of your denials, there is plenty of evidence ballplayers don't speak out against teammates publicly. It's called being a good teammate, a concept clearly beyond your grasp.

In spite of your denials, there is plenty of evidence sportswriters will protect their favorites in the clubhouse, especially media whores who they count on to fill their notebook with quotes.

"I'm in Baltimore for a measly 3 months and Chisox7 suddenly has amnesia about my years in Chicago!"

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
#1 - the primary point here IMO is not that Konerko will disrupt the team, it's that his on-field performance shows that he's a decent player, but not great (and not worth $8.75mil). His comments show you that at the very least, he's not exactly a great positive clubhouse presence. At the worst, he's got guys pissed at him but they know better than to mouth off to the media. So you can't say "he's a decent player, but has great chemistry value".

#2 - there's a huge, gigantic difference between saying things about players on other teams, especially negative things, and saying things about players on your own team, or inferring things about players on your own team via your comments on ex-teammates. If you can't see the difference in terms of the team trusting each other then I can't help you.

As PHG said - we'll see what happens after the season. What's fairly likely IMO is that unless Paulie takes a paycut, he'll be gone. At that point, the media will bemoan the "cheap Sox" for letting the "clubhouse leader, fan favorite" go. Translation: "We lost a guy we could always count on for a comment".

Of course, this is the same media that says "They should trade Frank Thomas because he's a clubhouse cancer". Translation: "He's not as nice to us".

But that's my EXACTLY my point. What you said in #1. "His comments show you that at the very least, he's not exactly a great positive clubhouse presence." How can you prove that. Where are the facts. Where are the stories with quotes in them. Just because some guys are annoyed because of what they read in the paper doesn't mean the team cares. He might be an AWESOME guy in the clubhouse. He might be a HORRIBLE guy in the clubhouse. The point is you, or I, or PHG has no freaking clue. None at all. SO we can't sit here and talk like Paul, "at the very least" is not a good clubhouse guy. We just don't know.

ilsox7
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
it was originally...but that had kind of died. in this case it was referring to chisox7 and his insistence that just because we're not losing, it means that Paulie is a benign tumor.

OK, so just mixed up my name with chisox7? No problem...was just trying to figure out how I got involved in all of this. :smile:

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
If you can't write clearly, it's your problem not mine.

In spite of your denials, there is plenty of evidence ballplayers don't speak out against teammates publicly. It's called being a good teammate, a concept clearly beyond your grasp.

In spite of your denials, there is plenty of evidence sportswriters will protect their favorites in the clubhouse, especially media whores who they count on to fill their notebook with quotes.

"I'm in Baltimore for a measly 3 months and Chisox7 suddenly has amnesia about my years in Chicago!"

That's fine. If you want to assume, go ahead. I'm sure the team would love the fact that you are telepathic and know what they are thinking and whether they are distracted or not.

As someone once said, however, assumptions are the mother of all ****-ups"

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Haha. This is tough responding to all three at one time. Can we slow it down a little so everyone can keep up and read all the posts? :tongue:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
The point is you, or I, or PHG has no freaking clue. None at all. SO we can't sit here and talk like Paul, "at the very least" is not a good clubhouse guy. We just don't know.

Well at least you admit you have no clue.
:cool:

At least I have reasons why Konerko will be taillights next winter and **** like this thread is one of only many many reasons.

Too bad... great clubhouse guy...

:roflmao:

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
You are sitting there proving my point. They reported all of those things. They were all newsworthy. Positive or negative, they reported. There is nothing to report with this. Nobody cares. If the media cared they would print it. They might like Paul because he tells the truth and will talk to anyone, but they will tear him up the moment he missteps.

Wait one hot minute. So you're saying we got those quotes by sitting behind the dugout ourselves with a tape recorder? No. The media reported them. How the media treats their quotes is another thing.

That's why the Sammy example is relevant. Yes we know that Sammy compared his treatment to THE PASSION OF JESUS CHRIST. But no one editorialized on it.

Meanwhile, Frank doesn't run the shuttle run and everyone's writing about how he hates team play. ****, they STILL pretend he doesn't want what's best for the team. Read some articles for national publications like si.com. THIS VERY YEAR.

I can't believe you don't understand this. You are bordering on self-parody.

The media treats all players the same. :rolleyes: All right.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Well at least you admit you have no clue.
:cool:

At least I have reasons why Konerko will be taillights next winter and **** like this thread is one of only many many reasons.

Too bad... great clubhouse guy...

:roflmao:

If that's the truth, and thats what we come to know, then I hope you bump this thread and shove my face in it. Cause that's what I'd deserve for commenting.

I'm not defending Paul though. I defending the fact that we can't jump on somebody on our team for hurting the team when we don't know if his comments would distract or not. I'd have done the same for Buerhle or Ozzie. But in those cases, it seemed like it was a much bigger deal.

I honestly hope Pauls not here next year, but not because I buy into the bad teammate argument. He's too expensive for what he brings to the table.

ChiSox7
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Wait one hot minute. So you're saying we got those quotes by sitting behind the dugout ourselves with a tape recorder? No. The media reported them. How the media treats their quotes is another thing.

That's why the Sammy example is relevant. Yes we know that Sammy compared his treatment to THE PASSION OF JESUS CHRIST. But no one editorialized on it.

Meanwhile, Frank doesn't run the shuttle run and everyone's writing about how he hates team play. ****, they STILL pretend he doesn't want what's best for the team. Read some articles for national publications like si.com. THIS VERY YEAR.

I can't believe you don't understand this. You are bordering on self-parody.

The media treats all players the same. :rolleyes: All right.

And once again, you skip the most telling example, that deals directly with the player in question. They burned Paul a couple years ago, so why wouldn't they burn him here? Because there is nothing to burn him on. But keep talking about Sammy and Frank. It's very convincing.

fquaye149
07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
And once again, you skip the most telling example, that deals directly with the player in question. The burned Paul a couple years ago, so why wouldn't they burn him here? Because there is nothing to burn him on. But keep talking about Sammy and Frank. It's very convincing.

Because since then Paulie has emerged as a "great media guy" meaning that he is good for a soundbite. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

Plus the angle has changed. In 2000 it was the young guy taking shots at the old guard (putting up MVP numbers)

Now it's the grizzled veteran

a.) sticking up for his (ex)teammates

or

b.) upholding the "honor" of the game by taking the potshot at uribe's deke.

This is windsocking, not reporting. This is the Chicago media. The Sosa example is perfect. 1996-2000 he was the savior of the Cubs. Then the angle changed. Most people have figured this out by now. Most non-Cub fans that is

PaleHoseGeorge
07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
If that's the truth, and thats what we come to know, then I hope you bump this thread and shove my face in it. Cause that's what I'd deserve for commenting.

I'm not defending Paul though. I defending the fact that we can't jump on somebody on our team for hurting the team when we don't know if his comments would distract or not. I'd have done the same for Buerhle or Ozzie. But in those cases, it seemed like it was a much bigger deal.

I honestly hope Pauls not here next year, but not because I buy into the bad teammate argument. He's too expensive for what he brings to the table.

I'm not willing to believe human nature ceases to exist inside a major league clubhouse. It's no stretch at all to think what Paul Konerko says (over and over again) is counterproductive because these ballplayers are human beings, too. At best they have to slough it off with a "that's just Paul running his mouth again..." type of an excuse. But that's still no excuse for Paul running his mouth and forcing his teammates into making such a disingenuous rationalization.

Why the **** do they need to make allowances for a Media Whore's diarrhea mouth? It's totally unnecessary -- as many people have already noted countless times in a dozen different threads discussing this subject this spring and summer.