PDA

View Full Version : Defensively Speaking...

voodoochile
07-18-2005, 01:54 AM
Someone was talking about how the Sox didn't have an error in this second half opening road sweep and it got me to wondering...

Now I know that pitching is the most important part of defense by a long shot, and that many defensive stats are subjecive in nature, but just for the sake of discussion here are some of the Sox team defensive stats...

Currently they are 2nd in MLB with only 48 errors commited.

They are tied for 6th (to three digits) in Fld%

They are 2nd in Defensive Efficiency Rating (balls put into play converted to outs)

They are tied for 7th with 90 DP's.

Compared to years past, this team is throwing a lot of leather and again, while it the least important of the three major statistical categorys, it is one more sign that the Sox are doing all of the little things to win ball games like they haven't in a long time.

skobabe8
07-18-2005, 01:57 AM
I couldnt be happier with the D this year. I remember one pop-up that Jermaine just dropped, but thats about it.

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2005, 02:00 AM
There was a little graphic that came across the screen during today's broadcast that said that Joe Crede hasn't committed an error in 45 games! I think he's been a HUGE key in our defensive Soxess this season! No knock on Ozuna, but Crede has huge range out there. I'd also like to give an honorable mention to Podesdnik, as he's got great speed out there and gets to many more flyballs than Carlos ever did! Great upgrade out in left!

chisox06
07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
As Hawk would say, "You lose more games out on the field than you win." Obviously he's not talking strictly about the win and loss columns, he means giving the other team a chance to capitalize on your mistakes and you cant help out the opposition more than commiting errors in the field. The Sox simply dont do that nearly as much as most other teams in the league. Not only that, the sox are one of the most opportunistic teams I've ever seen in making the opposition pay for THEIR mistakes, thats one of the main reasons why this team currently has the best record in baseball.

The Sox D wont consistantly fill your living room with web gems but they make almost every defensive play that they should. That's gotta do wonders for the pitching staffs mentality as well, knowing they can attack the hitters and when the ball is in play, they got the guys to throw them out. It's just one of those stats that defensive numbers can't portray, maybe thats what the "grinder" ball mentality is all about.

jabrch
07-18-2005, 02:44 AM
The DPs have been HUGE. So many came at such critical times - not only erasing a baserunner, but often doing it with bases loaded, or other RISP. Uribe and Iguchi really have a rythm together. Crede has been fantastic. Our Ps are mostly good fielders.

At the same time, as DJ said, you show me an OF with no errors, I'll show you an OF who isn't trying too hard. IF errors are much more important than OF errors.

But VC - I agree. The D has been as improved this year as the pitching - and it is a key reason for the play so far.

Falstaff
07-18-2005, 02:50 AM
Harry Caray said it first and said it best "Pitching, Speed, and Defense"
but personally its not in that order. Speed will help get the Defense done, and Defense will make any pitcher (well, maybe not Botch) look good. So in my calculus: Speed is King.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I think the part of our team the most people underestimated this offseason wsa how improved our d would be.

It's understandable. Pods isn't a great outfielder and Pierzynski isn't a huge upgrade at catcher (if any). Iguchi was a mostly unknown commodity, and Dye appeared to be banged up.

However, when you add everything up, including the fact that we lost Carlos (who was a pretty piss poor outfielder as far as GETTING to balls) and Jose (who wasn't a bad ss, but was no Uribe), you get a pretty damn decent defense who gets to a hell of a lot more balls and winds up making the play most of the time.

Sxy Mofo
07-18-2005, 10:47 AM
and Jose (who wasn't a bad ss, but was no Uribe)

I dunno. I'm fairly enjoying not having to hold my breath on a simple grounder to the shortstop.

I do wish Uribe would stop impersonating valentin's .200 average with 25 hr's though.

soxbullslover12
07-18-2005, 10:50 AM
some of the best defense is between Uribe, Iguchi, and Konerko to turn the double play. Its awsome doing it with such ease.

itsnotrequired
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
There was a little graphic that came across the screen during today's broadcast that said that Joe Crede hasn't committed an error in 45 games! I think he's been a HUGE key in our defensive Soxess this season!

I believe Iguchi is now up to 32 straight games without an error. Defensively, the Sox infield has to be in the top three in the AL, if not all the Majors.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
some of the best defense is between Uribe, Iguchi, and Konerko to turn the double play. Its awsome doing it with such ease.

Let's not overstate Konerko's contribution. Honestly, since all the first baseman has to do is catch the ball (other than the infamous 3-6-3 DP), it wouldn't be that much different if the combo was:

Uribe, Iguchi, and Gload

Uribe, Iguchi, and Frank

Uribe, Iguchi, and Dye

Uribe, Iguchi, and Everett

Uribe, Iguchi, and Rogowski

:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
While I agree that defensive statistics are the least able to paint a full picture for us (and therefore are of limited value), qualitatively I believe the Sox defense has played a significant role in their success this year, particularly since the two winningest pitchers (Buehrle and Garland) generate a lot of outs through ground balls.

I'll put it this way: If Konerko got to play again with the "greatest shortstop he ever played with," Royce Clayton; and Ray Durham was at second base; and Greg Norton or Herbert Perry was at third; the Sox might be in first place. However, I do not believe Garland would have 14 wins or Buehrle would have 11 wins. I think all the Sox pitchers would have moderately higher ERAs as well, and the team's overall record in one-run games would be a lot worse.

miker
07-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Honestly, since all the first baseman has to do is catch the ball

I respectfully disagree. Yes, an average first baseman just catches the ball, but a good defensive firstbaseman can make a difference by turning bad throws into outs.

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I respectfully disagree. Yes, an average first baseman just catches the ball, but a good defensive firstbaseman can make a difference by turning bad throws into outs.

It is an exaggeration to say a first baseman is irrelevant on a double play. A butcher will kill you on DP balls because you do have to make a lot of scoops.

However, I think it's quite exaggerated "how much better" Paul is than the rest of the 1B in the league. Most regular first-sackers make the same scoops Paulie does.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2005, 12:34 PM
However, I think it's quite exaggerated "how much better" Paul is than the rest of the 1B in the league. Most regular first-sackers make the same scoops Paulie does.

I completely agree. I never said Paulie was irrelevant. However, he doesn't bring a unique set of skills to the position, either.

Honestly, if a big-mouthed 1B is what I want on my team (and I had a time machine that went as far back as 1990), and I had a choice of either of the two, I'd much rather have Mark Grace over Paul Konerko. :o:

oeo
07-18-2005, 12:35 PM
I couldnt be happier with the D this year. I remember one pop-up that Jermaine just dropped, but thats about it.

What happens in Oakland, stays in Oakland.

tacosalbarojas
07-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Someone was talking about how the Sox didn't have an error in this second half opening road sweep and it got me to wondering...

Not sure if this is where you saw it, but I mentioned this in yesterday's post-game thread. We definitely make 99.999999 percent of the routine plays and that is such a breath of fresh air...especially when it comes to watching throws to first from a certain position on the infield...

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM

To illustrate this point, let's recall the end of the last game when Uribe threw over to first to end the game and threw it right into the dirt and PK had to pick it out. It looked like a tough play, but I'm not a first baseman. What I do know is that PK makes a lot of great picks and can throw to second, as well as, get off the base and tag a guy on a bad throw. I think he is a very good defensive player and has a lot to do with the overall good defense...now if he would just get that average up for God's sake.