PDA

View Full Version : My Gripes at Comerica

WinOrDyeTrying
07-18-2005, 01:08 AM
I moved to Detroit last November.... It wasn't by choice. I'm in the Coast Guard, and I was the lucky one to get stationed out here. Anyways, I'm only 18, so I don't have much traveling under my belt. So getting a chance to go to a different ball park was pretty exciting. I went to see the Royals at Detroit on Thursday. Here are my gripes.

-No free military!
I know this is kind of a greedy thing to say, but at the Cell I can get in for free. They did offer half price on upper deck. At the Cell they pretty much give the best available seats. I sound spoiled. Ill shut up about this now

-Carnival like atmosphere
As soon as I got to the front gates, the park had a Six Flags: Great America feel to it. The fencing and gates reminded me of the color of a rollercoast (although I cant put my finger on which one). When I got in it was even worse. There we're THREE different mascots... Well only one was the Tiger, but for some reason they had a chicken and a giant bowling pin walking around (:dunno: )...? I guess the Farris wheel and carousel are good to keep the kids busy, but I don't think they belong in a ball park. (by the way, the Fundamentals area is a great way to keep kids entertained while still relating to baseball).

-Lots of people not paying attention to the game. I looked around and saw many, many a people talking on their cell phone. A couple where playing gameboy.

-The front row seats where lower than the playing field. I hated that.

-Food really is better at the Cell. The hot dogs sucked. (BTW, the food network did a thing on ball park food, and they showcased WRIGLEY'S food! grrr)

Its pretty late, I'll think of more later.

Madvora
07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
There we're THREE different mascots... Well only one was the Tiger, but for some reason they had a chicken and a giant bowling pin walking around
That literally made me laugh out loud.
As for the fans not paying attention, you'll find that anywhere. I guess you can't blame them with the team they have, but then why show up at the park at all?

Front row seats lower than the playing field huh? I never heard of that. I've never been lucky enough to sit in the front row anywhere I've been, so I wouldn't know.

I was at Comerica last year for a series and I like the park a lot. It has a concourse similar to Comiskey that you can walk all the way around. That's a good feature.
The gates in the front do seem aumsement park-like I guess. Maybe it's the big tiger statues.

Baby Fisk
07-18-2005, 10:42 AM
I had 15th row seats at Comerica and they felt like they were below field level. :o:

It's very peculiar how they achieve that effect. Then again, anyone who sat in front of me immediately obliterated the view of the field. So that would be a gripe.

The concourse at Comerica is well done -- roomy, plenty of food stations, and neat historic displays for every decade of the Tigers' history. The restroom facilities were pretty cramped -- another gripe. :(:

Worst gripe of all: take 5 steps outside of the ballpark and you are in an urban wasteland like some 1970s apocalypse movie. "Run for the car! Let's get the hell out of here!" :o:

SaltyPretzel
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
-The front row seats where lower than the playing field. I hated that.

Old Comiskey was like that. In the first rows, you wouldn't be able to see anything below the knees of the infielders. I think the reason was for drainage.