PDA

View Full Version : Back from Cleveland

DaveIsHere
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Got back from Cleveland this evening, Nice ball park, but I still love the Cell. We are spoiled with our sound system in the ball park. The fans were nice for the most part, some good-natured heckling back and forth.

Now the best part, for my B-day my wife bought me a Rowand jersey, and we joked about getting it signed and framed. Well, we got there early on Saturday and went behind the Dugout. I saw Aaron yelled his name and, and showed him the jersey I was wearing...,he nodded, i took my jersey off and tossed i to him with a marker.

It was great he held it up, then put his leg up on the dugout, spread it on his knee and signed it right in the middle between his name and number. DAMN I was(am) geeked.

So for the rest of the game I protected it from the seats and the rain. My Wife got Uribe's Auto on her hat, and Willie told her happy b-day(her B-day is tomorrow).

We had a blast, got some awesome pics of Damaso warming up and some friendly nods when we told hm welcome back(from the DL).

Now, a very important question!!!
I would like to get the signed jersey framed along with the picture my wife took of Aaron signing it, does anyone know where I can go to get this done VERY VERY nicely?? Thanks for any assitance you can provide, and go SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS-Met a LOT of Sox fans at the game, and on the streets of Downtown Cleveland.

RedPinStripes
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Good to hear stories like that from Sox fans going on road trips. :bandance:

I'm still confused on why I hear so much about Rowand being such a cool guy when he was a dick to me. :redface: For his good play and improvement in the field, I forgive him.

South Side
07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Good to hear stories like that from Sox fans going on road trips. :bandance:

I'm still confused on why I hear so much about Rowand being such a cool guy when he was a dick to me. :redface: For his good play and improvement in the field, I forgive him.

What was your experience with him?

LuvSox
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Hey DaveIsHere, you brought us a four game sweep!!! Thanks!!!!!:bandance:

Chisox003
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I just got back a few minutes ago, and was ready to start my own thread....

First, I will say and SOX fans living in Chicago, that go to the Cell (like myself) are absolutely SPOILED...Chicago puts the city of Cleveland to shame, I was dissapointed I thought it'd be a great city....Not in the least

Jacobs field was average, but US Cellular Field is uncomparable....From the concourses, to the atmosphere (it was dead there), to the speaker systems (terrible! couldnt hear a thing), the food (not even close)...Im being totally unbiased when I say...Our park is awesome :gulp:

As for the actual games...Great turnout by SOX Army....High fives and sweeping motions all over the place, and Jndians fans were absolutely silent...Chicago and SOX fans took over that park this weekend

I have a bunch of pics of the Jake that Ill post tomorrow

Overall, great trip, great sweep, and sweet home chicago's never looked better

S05X

soxjim
07-17-2005, 09:54 PM
I enjoy hearing stories about SOX road trips and how good the players can treat the fans. I was in Detroit June 28-30 SOX fans there were great. Met Man Soo Lee he actually approached my wife and me and started talking.

34rancher
07-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I also was there, and wow what an experience. My wife and I both argreed, the sound system sucks. Friday night during the fireworks (lots of them, but just no coordination and lots of the same. Almost as if they found a sale on certain kinds) we could not hear the music at all. From what little we concluded, they were definitely not choregraphed at all to the music. We also liked the ballpark and the area around it. We could not get over how many sox fans were there. Ran into the get-up guy around concessions. Nice guy. We also went Sat. and saw batting practice. Nice seeing our guys hit for a change. MB and Freddy pitched gems. While the ballpark is nice and so is the area around it, Cleveland is really a pretty lackluster city. Downtown empties pretty quickly afterwords. Longer drive than we thought. Good trip though. If you get the chance go...good time.

RedPinStripes
07-17-2005, 10:05 PM
What was your experience with him?

Sox fest a few years ago. He ignored me a few times when i saw him in the hallway of the Hyatt. He stayed down the hall from us so we saw him a lot, but he wouldn't give me the time of day unless cameras or kids were around. I know all you Rowand lovers will defend him and say how I twisted that, but it's the truth. "CubKilla" was there to see it a few times. He was being a real dick.

I didn't want an autograph. Just wanted to shake his hand and say good luck. I really don't care now. As long as he keeps playing decent ball, I can live with it.

ilsox7
07-17-2005, 10:09 PM
I just got back a few minutes ago, and was ready to start my own thread....

First, I will say and SOX fans living in Chicago, that go to the Cell (like myself) are absolutely SPOILED...Chicago puts the city of Cleveland to shame, I was dissapointed I thought it'd be a great city....Not in the least

Jacobs field was average, but US Cellular Field is uncomparable....From the concourses, to the atmosphere (it was dead there), to the speaker systems (terrible! couldnt hear a thing), the food (not even close)...Im being totally unbiased when I say...Our park is awesome :gulp:

As for the actual games...Great turnout by SOX Army....High fives and sweeping motions all over the place, and Jndians fans were absolutely silent...Chicago and SOX fans took over that park this weekend

I have a bunch of pics of the Jake that Ill post tomorrow

Overall, great trip, great sweep, and sweet home chicago's never looked better

S05X

Cleveland is a cool city...if you know where to look. Sure, it is no comparison whatsoever to Chicago, but it's not as awful as its reputation. Also, with the renovations to the Cell, I'd say it's on par with the Jake. Of course the Jake has its location to thank for a lot of things. I don't remember much about the food at the Jake b/c I rarely ate at the games, but nothing can ever touch the food at Sox Park.

fincher
07-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Yep. Cleveland is a darned-nice city. Its poor rep goes back to the 70s. Not the case today. I have a lot of family there and I've been to the Jake many times. To me, its the best of the newer parks and I've been to Safeco Field, SBC Park (Pac Bell then), and PNC Park...all very nice but the Jake is the sweetest.

Amenity-wise, the Cell is equal.

Vernam
07-17-2005, 10:36 PM
We were at the Jake on Saturday, sitting in the Terrace Suites restaurant. Got a crazy bargain to eat there and watch the game while staying bone dry. But we walked the park after the rain delay, and I was disappointed by the overall dingy atmosphere. One thing DJ said on a recent broadcast really rang true . . . He pointed out that you can still see the field no matter where you're walking on the concourse at US Cellular. In Cleveland, you get zero view of the field.

People were nice (except the Tribe fan who hosted us! :wink:), and the restaurant manager teased my kids about their Sox regalia. I wonder if the Indians fans were as good-natured to Sox fans as the sweep took hold on Sunday!

VC

Chisox003
07-17-2005, 11:32 PM
We were at the Jake on Saturday, sitting in the Terrace Suites restaurant. Got a crazy bargain to eat there and watch the game while staying bone dry. But we walked the park after the rain delay, and I was disappointed by the overall dingy atmosphere. One thing DJ said on a recent broadcast really rang true . . . He pointed out that you can still see the field no matter where you're walking on the concourse at US Cellular. In Cleveland, you get zero view of the field.

People were nice (except the Tribe fan who hosted us! :wink:), and the restaurant manager teased my kids about their Sox regalia. I wonder if the Indians fans were as good-natured to Sox fans as the sweep took hold on Sunday!

VC

Going into Jacobs field for the first time I thought it was going to be awesome...I dunno, maybe my hopes were too high....It was certainly above average, but nothing special IMO

As for the city of Cleveland, I clearly didnt hit the "right" spots...I didnt like it at all...Again, maybe I thought too highly of it going in and was just dissapointed when it didnt stack up to Chicago

Anyway, I forgot to add in my original post that listening to Cleveland sports talk radio, I could have swore these guys were from Chicago and die hard Sox fans....

They were complimenting the Sox the entire time I listened to them, and when a caller called in and said the Sox were getting "lucky" (60 wins later :rolleyes: ), the radio guys tore into him....

They were very complimentary of our SOX, and said that they felt that Indians fans were being "treated" by watching the Sox play because its such a good team, they play the game right, dont get lost in stats etc etc...Something we've been saying alllll season....I just sat and thought to myself 'I have to come all the way to Cleveland to hear Indians' radio guys bragging about the White Sox'....Better treatment than our own city, sad

After going on for a few minutes how the Sox looked like a championship ready club, the host when on to talk about the Indians....I am still laughing at this quote he made of the Jndians during the rain delay sunday (before they even lost!!): "This series was bad, this season has been bad....This team is bad"

:roflmao: But, but, but...The "experts" on ESPN said...... :rolling:

Edit: I forgot to add, there was speculation among Jndians fans, most of who were absolutely positive in their thinking, that Buehrle hit Hafner in the face on purpose, knocking him out for the final 2 games so the Sox could "automatically win"....They also seemed to believe had he been in there Saturday, it was guaranteed victory

Thank God I'm out of Cleveland

DaleJRFan
07-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Sox fest a few years ago. He ignored me a few times when i saw him in the hallway of the Hyatt. He stayed down the hall from us so we saw him a lot, but he wouldn't give me the time of day unless cameras or kids were around. I know all you Rowand lovers will defend him and say how I twisted that, but it's the truth. "CubKilla" was there to see it a few times. He was being a real dick.

I didn't want an autograph. Just wanted to shake his hand and say good luck. I really don't care now. As long as he keeps playing decent ball, I can live with it.

Maybe he didn't want your germs. :redneck

StepsInSC
07-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I was there as well. Regarding Cleveland fans, all of the heckling was good-natured until they learned that myself and my two buddies were from pittsburgh. Then the whole section starting saying talking crazy crap about Pittsburgh (none of us really cared, we're not actually from Pittsburgh). It was funny - once I asked them how the White Sox/Steelers did compared to the Indians/Browns they pretty much shut up.

But I got a lot of warm greetings from Cleveland fans, and the the Indian workers walking around. The weather was the only bad part.

StepsInSC
07-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Edit: I forgot to add, there was speculation among Jndians fans, most of who were absolutely positive in their thinking, that Buehrle hit Hafner in the face on purpose, knocking him out for the final 2 games so the Sox could "automatically win"....They also seemed to believe had he been in there Saturday, it was guaranteed victory

Thank God I'm out of Cleveland

Amen to that too. The fans around me were cussing up a storm about Buehrle. They're excuse was that he shouldn't have been in the game, and therefore the Indians would have won. When Dye was beaned in retaliation and scored, I really let them have it though - i.e. thanking them for the "present".

hose
07-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Ran into the get-up guy around concessions. Nice guy.

I heard him during the telecast....GOOOO WHITE SOX.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-18-2005, 08:39 AM
When Dye was beaned in retaliation and scored, I really let them have it though - i.e. thanking them for the "present".
Somebody else mentioned listening to the Indians radio show during the rain delay on Saturday, and I absolutely cracked up when the host lamented, among other things, "We can't even get our retaliations right..."
My sig has been updated.
YEAH, BABY!
Now let's sweep the Tiggers...

CubKilla
07-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Cleveland the city was dirty. The sports venues were really nice though and I would rate "The Jake" as above average. Beer selection at the ballpark was fantastic, with both Miller and Bud products being offered along with many micro-brews, Cleveland's own Great Lakes supplied "The Jake" with 3 offerings.

Fans that I ran into were great. Very knowledgable and very complimentary of the White Sox. Not sure if USCF has guest relations people milling around the park looking for people wearing visiting team sports wear, but a gentleman from JF came up to us and asked us how we were enjoying our stay in Cleveland and if there was anything they could do to assist with our stay (tour info, bar locations, historical sites, etc). That was a nice touch.

Though not impressed in the least with Cleveland the city, I was very impressed by the "tourist traps", Cleveland's citizenry and the Indian's fans.

cbone
07-18-2005, 09:21 AM
How about restaurants in the area? Any suggestions? We are staying very close to the park.:smile:

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 09:24 AM
How about restaurants in the area? Any suggestions? We are staying very close to the park.:smile:

Cleveland Chop House. They make their own beer and it's pretty good (not nearly as good as Great Lakes, though). Their cornbread is great as are their main dishes.

Great Lakes Brewery. Good food. Awesome beer.

I think it's called Blueprint Seafood...it's right by the Chop House. All of those places are relatively close to the Jake.

maurice
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
By the start of Sunday's game, the Cleveland fans knew they were beaten by a much better team and, at best, might have a chance to make a run at 2nd place and the WC. We had a few nice conversations during the rain delay with the Jndjans fans in our section.

Downtown Cleveland and the surrounding area are a nice place to spend a day or two, but Cleveland <<<<< Chicago. Downtown Cleveland is completely vacant in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend.

The Jake is also nice, particularly if you're a fan of huge diamondvision screens, but the Jake < the Cell.

However, employees at the Jake >>> employees at the Cell, though it pains me to say it.

MarkZ35
07-18-2005, 05:37 PM
My brother and I were in Cleveland for Saturday and Sundays games and overall I really liked the city and the park. The few things I didnt like was that there was really nothing downtown except a few bars. After exploring the city on Saturday after the game we tried looking for a decent place to eat but we didnt really want to sit down and eat so we drove around for almost a half an hour looking for something and finally had to settle for Dominos. Then in the morning we woke up and took a walk to the Dunkin Donuts on Euclid at 9 a.m. and IT WASN'T OPEN. We couldnt believe how dead the downtown area is. The other thing I didnt like was that there fans were bitter as all that there team isn't great. On Saturday we sat by a few nice fans, but in the 9th when we went behind the Sox dugout with all the other fans the Cleveland fans were all yelling crap like check there tickets and just being rude. Then on Sunday we got to the park early and were able to get a free camera and go on the field to take pictures of the Indians players. That was a mistake on the Indians part because the Sox fans heckled the Indians so bad. We also made the mistake of buying bleacher sits on Sunday and ended up sitting three rows in front of drummer boy so we had to put up with him all game and his group of bleaqcher bums that were ignorant. When we would cheer for the Sox or something they would yell stuff like get a life, and go drink some beer at Wrigley. Yep they said it. But overall a fun weekend and a good result.

soxwon
07-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Anyone drink at COOPERSTOWN or the ______ Parrot

across the street from the park?

also who went to the Rock n Roll hall of fame?

Corlose 15
07-18-2005, 06:42 PM
We went to the game and saturday and sat in the mezzaninne area in right field. A few things stood out to me.

The scoreboard is very nice. The park for the most part is nice but you can't really see anything on the field for 90% of it. I was amazed at how few groundskeepers they had for the rain delay, there were only like 12 people rolling out the tarp.

Also, the food service was TERRIBLE, I ordered 4 cheeseburger value meals and it honestly took the 15 minutes if not more to complete the order(Thats after I placed the order, not counting waiting in line). It was as if they had to grow, pick, skin and fry the potatoes themselves. I had to watch most of the 6th on the TV in the stand.
Other than that I had a good time watching a White Sox winner.

southsidegirl
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I was in Cleveland on Sunday coming back from a NY and Washington DC road trip I took last week. We had to leave around the 8th inning to start heading back to Chicago. We could have stayed till the end if there wasn't that darn rain delay.

Some observations about the park and the city:

The food at the park was alright. I ordered nachos and they gave me more than enough cheese(as opposed to the Cell where I have to scrape the cheese out of every nook and cranny towards the end of the nacho eating experience). I was pissed though because the only pop you could order at this particular booth was the $4 souveneir cup and I hate spending money on pop considering half of the "drink" is ice. Anywho, we had UD seats and we were allowed to walk around on the concourse unlike at the Cell. The organist wasn't exactly Nancy and the announcer's voice was annoying. I had a good time though.

The town was nice though. My grandfather lived in Cleveland and my mom spent the first six years of her life there, so she was excited about visiting. Don't stay at the Embassy Suites. The service is horrible. On Saturday night, we took the complimentary shuttle out to Rock Bottom and the waitress was an Indian's fan so we talked about baseball for a long time. When we were ready to be picked up, we called the front desk who were supposed to page the shuttle driver. About half an hour passed and my dad called 6 times while nobody answered and we finally took a cab home. When we went to the front desk, they said that they had someone in back answering the phone and my dad decided to call again to see if anyone would answer and nobody did. We did get a free movie rental for the trouble though. There were a ton of Sox fans staying in the hotel. We were in an elevator along with about 7 people coming back from the game on Friday night and when my 12 year old brother(a Cubs fan) started preaching about how the Sox were terrible, we had a great time squishing him into a corner.

There wasn't a whole lot to do in the city. I suppose if I were a little older than 15, the bars would be interesting, but other than the Indians and The RnR Hall of Fame, there was really nothing to do. They Might Be Giants were in town doing a concert for little kids, and my mom and I attended. Cleveland is a nice city, but I couldn't imagine a vacation there for more than 2 or 3 days.

WikdChiSoxFan
07-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Uh...first of all, crazy trip...myself and two friends had a great time despite all of the drawbacks listed above (empty city, bitter fans) and more (the concession stands) Anyone else notice the concessions were horribly slow? Although, they did have a grilled chicken sandwich which I'll give 'em maybe 5 or 6 points for that...but my buddy must have stood in line for 3 innings! and for that they get negative 80 bajillion. (Although, the little tike in front of us was eating fried apple stips, dipping in various dessert sauces, we didn't get a taste cause i guess they were only selling it across the park, but it looked like it had potential) Otherwise, the old security guards were nice and invited us down to take pictures close to the field before the game. We got in as soon as the gates opened and bought a sweet round of 24 oz. Labatt Blue...that was poured in a cup as big as my head...we donned them Bucket o' Beers, they were fun...but beer is just as expensive there as it is here. Then during Sat. night's game we made friends with those around us. However, we did not make friends with some guy who said the Sox wear pink panties. The surrounding Indian fans were humiliated by how unbelievable horrible that insult was.

In other news, my Carl Everett cheer has caught on. Oddly enough, there was someone at the park that recognized us from opening day this year and had heard the cheer and had been doing it ever since. So, hopefully it will continue to spread an infect sox fandom for years to come. (For those of you that don't know the cheer, you'll know when you hear it. Or you'll know when you see the "No dinosaurs" Dance.)

In other news, Jermaine Dye and Frank Thomas were out partying on "the Flats" on Sat. Night. I couldn't believe my eyes!!! I gave him a "Hey Frank, Go Sox!!" when he stepped in front of my car trying to get a cab. Then as we were continuing to drive to a parking spot, we see Jermaine Dye running to the cab where Frank was....except...he was limping and grabbing his right leg...boy were we relieved to hear he was in the line-up the next day. And to think, if only I had gotten down to "Shooter's" or whatever the other bar was earlier, I coulda bought Frank and Dye a round of drinks.

But a load of pictures, a couple of White Sox Winners and a Jon Garland autograph later, we returned back to sweet home chicago...

(P.S. I gotta say that even though they were bitter, and really stupid, the Cleveland fans that did stick around for the 9th on Sat. were loud and relentless...it was really loud down by the field and they were cheering every "ball" like it was a home run...good for them...but we still kicked their butt.)

Sorry for the novel...

WikdChiSoxFan
07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Also, do anyone catch the radio broadcast from the Cleveland announcers...horrible, horrible, horrible. It took me 30 minutes to figure out they had two announcers with the same voice. And if another ball got "yanked" or "drilled" or if another pitch was "really, really, really close" to being a strike, i was gonna flip. Not to mention his half hour lovefest of Scotty Podsednik who he said was clearly the MVP of the league, and his enitre history of Jon Garland from birth and the fact that he recited the score every thirty seconds....(but at least the score was 4-0 sox the entire time.)

I got to listen to Farmio tonight....aaah, sweet home chicago.

WikdChiSoxFan
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I was amazed at how few groundskeepers they had for the rain delay, there were only like 12 people rolling out the tarp.

Those guys had no idea what they were doing!! It took them so long to put that tarp away, it was hysterical. I felt like pushing the fastforward button and putting the entire dance to the Benny Hill theme.

slobes
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Anyone drink at COOPERSTOWN or the ______ Parrot

across the street from the park?

also who went to the Rock n Roll hall of fame?

It was the Thirsty Parrot I think.

I thought it was a pretty nice stadium, overall. There were a huge amount of sox fans there.

maurice
07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
AJ hit a line-drive HR to CF on Sunday, right before the rain delay. The ball went over the yellow line, struck something, and bounced back onto the field. A Toons fan behind me stood up cheered, and clapped for about 20 seconds (I suppose he thought Sizemore caught it somehow) before multiple Toons and Sox fans told him that it was a HR and he should sit down and ****. Lots of other fans made the same mistake, but quieted down after about 5 seconds. I guess this guy was just "special."
:cool:

Vernam
07-19-2005, 05:09 PM
AJ hit a line-drive HR to CF on Sunday, right before the rain delay. The ball went over the yellow line, struck something, and bounced back onto the field. A Toons fan behind me stood up cheered, and clapped for about 20 seconds (I suppose he thought Sizemore caught it somehow) before multiple Toons and Sox fans told him that it was a HR and he should sit down and ****. Lots of other fans made the same mistake, but quieted down after about 5 seconds. I guess this guy was just "special."
:cool:
We had some real tools behind us at last night's Sox game, yammering non-stop and swearing despite kids present. One guy started the game by saying he'll never bring "chicks" to the park, because they don't pay attention and ask so many stoopid questions. Pot, kettle, etc. He proceeded to ask, "What's that cement block behind the pitcher?" His very clueful friend said, "That's the pitching rubber." :o:

VC

Chisox003
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Amen to that too. The fans around me were cussing up a storm about Buehrle. They're excuse was that he shouldn't have been in the game, and therefore the Indians would have won. When Dye was beaned in retaliation and scored, I really let them have it though - i.e. thanking them for the "present".

Ya, same with me and the Sox fans I was there with....We were thanking Jndians fans around us for the Dye beaning, and basically a gift run...

We also applauded when Scott Elarton was announced as the starting pitcher, and Jndians fans were confused as to why....We just said we were happy to see Mr. Elarton and his 5.00 ERA taking the bump against our Sox, no need for explanation :cool:

Dat Funky Motion
07-19-2005, 10:29 PM
I went to Fri and Sats game. I loved the park and the staff was great! I could not believe they had the staff wipe down the seats after the rain. On Fri we got there early,and we had passes to the restaurant. We asked a staff member how we get there. She said that the restaurant was open,but the park was closed but she got someone to take us there. As we were walking through the park,I noticed all the staff in groups and one manager tell each group what to do. The park was very well managed to say the least.

The people were great,and loved to talk baseball. I even had a few fans saying how much the loved my Calderon,and Dick Allen jerseys. I even had a few asked me if I knew that Calderon was dead,the funny thing is so did some Sox fans.:?:

Had a great time and would go back!