PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from my last Busch Stadium visit

Viva Medias B's
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I just returned from spending this past weekend in St. Louis where I watched the Cardinals sweep the Astros. The Redbirds remind me a lot of us: quality pitching and timely hitting, not to mention good defense. This is a solid a Cardinal team that I have ever seen. However, if we go on to reach the World Series and face St. Louis, I think we'd have the edge. I like our rotation and bullpen better than theirs, basically.

Of course, this was my last trip to the current Busch Stadium. As you know, a new Busch Stadium is under construction right next (http://www.kmov.com/stadiumcam/images/stadium_640.jpg) to the current stadium. Right now, the construction crew is about a month ahead of schedule in the construction. It should be ready by April, but there are plans to have the Cardinals start the 2006 season on a road trip in case they fall behind. I am told it will seat about 45,000. However, the left field corner stands will not be completed until 2007. Also, it is all but a done deal that the Cardinals will host the 2009 All Star Game. In late October/early November, the current Busch Stadium will be imploded and cleared to make way for completing the new Busch Stadium.

My last game at Busch today was a memorable one: Roger Clemens vs. Chris Carpenter. Both pitchers were great today, even though Clemens gave up the RBI double that cost him the game. Carpenter was just lights out.

Chips
07-17-2005, 10:21 PM
I will making my first and only trip to St. Louis on September 10th with The Dude to catch the Redbirds playing the Reds.

CallMeNuts
07-17-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm hoping to be at the final games at Busch on October 25 to 27. :wink:

LuvSox
07-17-2005, 10:55 PM
You're not kidding, it is RIGHT NEXT to Busch. I'll bet the new place will be a palace.

skobabe8
07-18-2005, 02:08 AM
You're not kidding, it is RIGHT NEXT to Busch. I'll bet the new place will be a palace.

Looks very cool. Half the place will basically be completely done, the other half hasnt even broke ground yet.

doublem23
07-18-2005, 03:42 AM
I got to go to at least one Cardinal game this year, and now I am intrigued at the thought of driving to St. Louis to watch the place get imploded. That has to be an interesting moment.

I'd wait here for Wrigley, but I'm going to be first in line with a crowbar when the word comes to tear that place down. :bandance:

Viva Medias B's
07-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I neglected to mention that one of the small statues alongside Busch Stadium's Walnut Street plaza has been vandalized. The bat of the Rogers Hornsby statue looked like it was sawed off. Sound familiar?

C-Dawg
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I made my one-and-only trip there a couple weeks ago; I thought it was cool in a way although it does have kind of a dated, 60s feel to a lot of it. They have done a good job making it their own now that they aren't sharing the place with the football team. It was a great game, too; they came back from a 4-0 deficit and beat the Rockies in the bottom of the 9th!

I posted a few pics in the WSI Photo Gallery section, in the "Other Parks" folder, in case anyone would like some pics to go with Viva Medias' story.

LauraJ14
07-18-2005, 10:19 AM
I just returned from spending this past weekend in St. Louis where I watched the Cardinals sweep the Astros. The Redbirds remind me a lot of us: quality pitching and timely hitting, not to mention good defense. This is a solid a Cardinal team that I have ever seen. However, if we go on to reach the World Series and face St. Louis, I think we'd have the edge. I like our rotation and bullpen better than theirs, basically.

Of course, this was my last trip to the current Busch Stadium. As you know, a new Busch Stadium is under construction right next (http://www.kmov.com/stadiumcam/images/stadium_640.jpg) to the current stadium. Right now, the construction crew is about a month ahead of schedule in the construction. It should be ready by April, but there are plans to have the Cardinals start the 2006 season on a road trip in case they fall behind. I am told it will seat about 45,000. However, the left field corner stands will not be completed until 2007. Also, it is all but a done deal that the Cardinals will host the 2009 All Star Game. In late October/early November, the current Busch Stadium will be imploded and cleared to make way for completing the new Busch Stadium.

My last game at Busch today was a memorable one: Roger Clemens vs. Chris Carpenter. Both pitchers were great today, even though Clemens gave up the RBI double that cost him the game. Carpenter was just lights out.

I was there Friday and Saturday, we stayed thru all 13 innings on Friday night to see Pujols hit the game winning homerun. We stayed longer than most of the Cardinal fans did. Saturday we sat in the Bleachers and it was HOT! Had a good time talking to Cardinal fans about baseball and they are not looking forward to the Cubs fans visiting them this weekend. The new stadium looks good so far, but I thought the stadium would be farther along in the construction. So I got to see 2 Cardinal victories and the Sox swept the Indians, now that's a good weekend.

MUsoxfan
07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm heading down this weekend to watch them pound the Cubs. I already bought my Cardinal red (which I will burn immediately once they collide with the Sox in October)

MHOUSE
07-19-2005, 05:22 AM
I've driven by the new Busch Stadium construction a half-dozen times this year and every time it looks prettier than before. That place will be sweet to look at and I'm sure a great place to catch a game. Cardinal fans are good people.

joe_tansey2004
07-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Viva, im going to Busch Stadium this Friday against the Cubs. I'll be in the left field bleachers. Do they have a concourse like the Cell has? What do you recommend outside the stadium before and after the game? This will be the first time in Busch Stadium for me and Im looking forward to it.

joe_tansey2004
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm heading down this weekend to watch them pound the Cubs. I already bought my Cardinal red (which I will burn immediately once they collide with the Sox in October)

MUsoxfan,
What game are you going to this weekend. I'll be up there for Fridays game. First drinks are on me.:gulp:

MHOUSE
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Anybody ever heard of Seamus McDaniels in Dogtown in St. Louis? It's a pretty cool Irish bar with a GREAT burger for a pregame meal.

MUsoxfan
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
MUsoxfan,
What game are you going to this weekend. I'll be up there for Fridays game. First drinks are on me.:gulp:

I'll have tickets for the Saturday game, but hope to make it to the Friday game as well

whitesoxwilkes
07-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I neglected to mention that one of the small statues alongside Busch Stadium's Walnut Street plaza has been vandalized. The bat of the Rogers Hornsby statue looked like it was sawed off. Sound familiar?

I noticed that Saturday as well when I was down there. Wonder if some jealous blue sheep got their paws on it?

This was my first Cardinals game even though I have lived in the Midwest for 12 years...and I was simply blown away. Classy fans, classic park, great atmosphere..but oh, the hangover!

whitesoxwilkes
07-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Viva, im going to Busch Stadium this Friday against the Cubs. I'll be in the left field bleachers. Do they have a concourse like the Cell has? What do you recommend outside the stadium before and after the game? This will be the first time in Busch Stadium for me and Im looking forward to it.

The best bar we hit was actually in the Mariott a couple blocks from the stadium..called Pitchers. Nice outdoor partio. The real action in St. Looie as far as partytime goes can be found in the tourist trap that is LaClede's Landing...Sundecker's and Fat Tuesday's are both a good time. The latter especially so if you're good-looking and under 25 (unlike me).

We hopped in a cab and stumbled into a GREAT blues bar at about 2 am, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name.

Viva Medias B's
07-19-2005, 10:24 PM

They sort of have a USCF-like concourse. Actually, they really have two. The main one at ground level grants access to the bleachers and the loge seats. The field level seats are below with its own concourse. However, you can only access the field level concourse during BP or if you have tickets to the field level seats.

If you arrive in St. Louis early enough Friday, you may want to take the Busch Stadium tour. You can purchase a tour ticket at the Bowling Hall of Fame across the streen from the stadium. The tours run only when the Cardinals have a night game, and I think the last one is at 2:00 p.m.

One place to go after the game is Mike Shannon's Steaks and Seafood. It's only a couple of blocks away from Busch Stadium. Mike Shannon (Cardinals radio announcer for those of you who do not know) does his postgame talk show live from his restaurant after Friday and Saturday night games.

Viva Medias B's
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
The best bar we hit was actually in the Mariott a couple blocks from the stadium..called Pitchers. Nice outdoor partio. The real action in St. Looie as far as partytime goes can be found in the tourist trap that is LaClede's Landing...Sundecker's and Fat Tuesday's are both a good time. The latter especially so if you're good-looking and under 25 (unlike me).

We hopped in a cab and stumbled into a GREAT blues bar at about 2 am, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name.

I never made it to the Landing, but I had a good time at Union Station's establishments. That is also a tourist trap.

jake27
07-19-2005, 10:27 PM
i plan on making it sometime this year. viva, where does the tour take you? since you said the last one is at 2, do you still go into the locker rooms and all (assuming you do in the 1st place).

Viva Medias B's
07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
i plan on making it sometime this year. viva, where does the tour take you? since you said the last one is at 2, do you still go into the locker rooms and all (assuming you do in the 1st place).

On the tour, they take you to Walnut Street and show you all the statues. Then, they take you inside the stadium and let you see the Batter's Eye restaurant. After that, you get to sit up in the press box. Finally, they take you down to the field and let you sit in the Cardinals dugout. You don't see the locker rooms, and you cannot walk on the grass while on the field.

cubhater
07-20-2005, 09:59 AM

The new stadium looks nice but I question why it's constructed so close to the freeway overpasses that parallel the first base side. Seems like the outside home plate area should be the focal point of a stadium but the highway ruins this effect. Other than that, the renditions I've seen look sharp.

Last weekend also was my first and only trip to Busch and had no complaints about the park...good sightlines, easy to get around, and good baseball fans.

joe_tansey2004
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
On the tour, they take you to Walnut Street and show you all the statues. Then, they take you inside the stadium and let you see the Batter's Eye restaurant. After that, you get to sit up in the press box. Finally, they take you down to the field and let you sit in the Cardinals dugout. You don't see the locker rooms, and you cannot walk on the grass while on the field.

How much does it cost for the tour? My buddies and I would love that.