PDA

View Full Version : Selig Starting Early

Lip Man 1
07-17-2005, 06:00 PM
From Phil Rogers column in the Chicago Tribune on the upcoming labor negotiations. (and this is not the entire story...)

"According to a Bloomberg News story by Curtis Eichelberger, the revenue of Major League Baseball's franchises has grown by about 35 percent since 2002, climbing to an estimated $4.6 billion this season.

That's good news for a sport that not so long ago had claimed only five of its 30 teams operated at a profit.

The troubling element to this story is that salaries have grown only 8.3 percent during this time, with an industry total of $2.35 billion in 2005.

That's the kind of difference that historically has caused the players' union to strike or sit tight through lockouts in the past.

Having watched owners make gains on issues as diverse as finances and drug testing in recent years, many industry observers have been predicting the round of labor negotiations after 2006 will be uneventful.

But if that's going to happen, owners better spend especially heavy on free agents next winter, giving the average salary its first big boost since 2001.

Otherwise players will be wondering why they aren't getting a cut of all the new action.

Selig does not dispute the Bloomberg story's basic numbers but downplays any concern that they might cause.

"We couldn't go along the way we were operating in the '90s, 2000, 2001 and even into 2002," Selig said last week. "The financial situation in the sport was very, very alarming. Do I believe the changes in recent years are going to threaten our labor peace? I don't think so. I can assure you that the Players Association will have every number they want. The sport is doing better, and we all feel very good about that, but there's still work to be done.

"There has been an increase in a lot of our other costs. I just came out of a meeting with our bankers. There were 250 bankers sitting in the room and believe me, there isn't one of them who will say this is a profitable industry."

That's our Proud To Be Your Bud!

Lip

The Racehorse
07-17-2005, 06:11 PM
"There has been an increase in a lot of our other costs. I just came out of a meeting with our bankers. There were 250 bankers sitting in the room and believe me, there isn't one of them who will say this is a profitable industry."

*chortle*

What a FREAKIN' JOKE. :thud: