PDA

View Full Version : Does Timo have any options?

ChiSoxRowand
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I didn't think he had any left, which means we would probably lose him if we tried to send him down. Someone on this board said he has 1 left though. Just wanted to know if he has any.

Joosh
07-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I posted an article from Whitesox.com that said Timo has an option left.

TimoPerez
07-17-2005, 09:18 PM
I posted an article from Whitesox.com that said Timo has an option left.

Some articles from WhiteSox.com have said that he does and some have said that he doesn't. I don't know what to believe.

rdwj
07-18-2005, 07:10 AM
You don't have a certain number of options - you're either in option years or you are not. He's been in the majors for too long for options, so he'd have to clear waivers.

CaptUSN
07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
With the number of options that a MLB team holds on a player to option him to the minors. I believe that each play can be optioned to the minors from a MLB team a total of 4 times in his career. Timo may very well be out of options (as is Joe Borchard by the way), but it isn't ties to number of years in the bigs...

ilsox7
07-18-2005, 10:25 AM
With the number of options that a MLB team holds on a player to option him to the minors. I believe that each play can be optioned to the minors from a MLB team a total of 4 times in his career. Timo may very well be out of options (as is Joe Borchard by the way), but it isn't ties to number of years in the bigs...

According to every source I've seen, I don't think you're right. Unless we're talking about somethign different here...

"Options"
After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).