PDA

View Full Version : So much for the unwarranted A-Row bashing...

Bisco Stu
07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Chicago OF Aaron Rowand went 2-for-4 and is hitting .476 (10-for-21) over his last five games.

Not to mention he likely has the best personality of anyone on the Sox in terms of humility, sense of humor, knowing what to say, and more importantly, what NOT to say.

RallyBowl
07-17-2005, 04:17 PM
yeah, he didn't have that great of a first half, but I've been saying all along that he is most likely to have a monster second half and tear it up in the playoffs. I can't seem to recall anyone bashing him, but did hear several ask why he was getting a free pass while playing below average in the first half when there were some quick to bash Joe C and Paulie, who were putting up better numbers. He has been outstanding with RISP all year, though.

Unregistered
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
...Not to mention he likely has the best personality of anyone on the Sox in terms of humility, sense of humor, knowing what to say, and more importantly, what NOT to say.
I'm sure he thinks you're nice, too. :D:

The batting stats are great, but what the hell does having "the best personality of anyone on the Sox" have anything to do with anything? If this was the dating game, he'd be quite the catch - but in the meantime, I'll take a player who has no sense of humor and hits .300, which Rowand is close to doing.

DieTrying79
07-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Way to get it done, Aaron!

ShoelessJoeS
07-17-2005, 04:32 PM
i havent been around that much the last week or so, why would anyone be bashing a-row? :?:

White Sox Josh
07-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Aaron is having a decent season however he has to step up and hit for some power. 5 HR. He should be hitting 20-25 HR's a year. He and Shingo are gonna need to step it up in the 2nd half. I think both will to. I'm a huge Aaron fan however I am disappointed with his numbers.

LuvSox
07-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Aaron is having a decent season however he has to step up and hit for some power. 5 HR. He should be hitting 20-25 HR's a year. He and Shingo are gonna need to step it up in the 2nd half. I think both will to. I'm a huge Aaron fan however I am disappointed with his numbers.

Situational hitting wins ball games, swinging for the fence does not (see 2001-2004)

VeeckAsInWreck
07-17-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm a huge Aaron fan however I am disappointed with his numbers.

The only number you should care about is 1, and that is where we are at right now in major league baseball.

While Aaron's numbers aren't where some people here would like them to be at, he obviously contributes to the team chemistry and there is no stat for that.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, there is a stat that is related to Team Chemistry, we call them "Wins" which funny enough the Sox have the most of.

mike squires
07-17-2005, 05:07 PM

The batting stats are great, but what the hell does having "the best personality of anyone on the Sox" have anything to do with anything? If this was the dating game, he'd be quite the catch - but in the meantime, I'll take a player who has no sense of humor and hits .300, which Rowand is close to doing.

I'm thlnking he was just trying to point out he's a great guy to have in the clubhouse even if he is not performing up to standard on the field.

munchman33
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Aaron had a terrible first half in which his extra base hits suffered extremely compared to last year (or anyone else for that matter). If he's not hitting over .300, he better continue slugging.

SpammySosa
07-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Aaron had a terrible first half in which his extra base hits suffered extremely compared to last year (or anyone else for that matter). If he's not hitting over .300, he better continue slugging.

Yeah! It isn't enough that the Sox have the best record in baseball! If it wasn't for that cancer Rowand,the team would have 70 wins dang it!!:rolleyes:

munchman33
07-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Yeah! It isn't enough that the Sox have the best record in baseball! If it wasn't for that cancer Rowand,the team would have 70 wins dang it!!:rolleyes:

I didn't say Rowand wasn't a contributer. But CF is an area of possible upgrade if Aaron doesn't step up his game.

BRDSR
07-17-2005, 07:21 PM

While I don't care about personality as much as winning, I wouldn't say that I don't care at all. I, like a lot of people on this message board, put a lot of time and energy into the White Sox. Not only that, but I put a lot of discretional spending money into the White Sox. I like to think that I'm helping to pay the salaries of guys who are personable and worth some respect. Not saying that it's worth more than the Ws, but it is worth a little something. Nice to see him getting those numbers up for sure.

ShoelessJoeS
07-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Situational hitting wins ball games, swinging for the fence does not (see 2001-2004)
hit the nail right on the head with this one

SpammySosa
07-17-2005, 07:54 PM
I didn't say Rowand wasn't a contributer. But CF is an area of possible upgrade if Aaron doesn't step up his game.

Again,if Aaron stepping up his game is your biggest concern, your focus needs some serious adjustment. Step out from underneath that dark cloud.The view is much better over here with those of us enjoying this great season.:supernana:

JB98
07-17-2005, 09:26 PM
i havent been around that much the last week or so, why would anyone be bashing a-row? :?:

I think the term "bashing" is overstating it. I posted last week that Aaron was one of four players that I wanted to see pick it up offensively in the second half. (PK, AJ and Uribe are the others.) Each of those guys is capable of doing more than what they did in the first half, IMHO. I think Aaron should be hitting over .300, and I think he should have more than five homers at this point. I have confidence that he'll get it done.

Some people are worried about our offense. I'm not. The reason I'm not is, we're 61-29 despite having these four guys underperforming. Eventually, I think they are going to put some numbers up, and we'll have a more consistent attack because of it.

To me, "bashing" someone is calling for them to be replaced. I would never call for Rowand to be replaced, as I think he is one of the better all-around players on the team. Because of that, I have high expectations, and that's why I stated that he needs to step up. Hopefully, these last five games are the start of something.

munchman33
07-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Again,if Aaron stepping up his game is your biggest concern, your focus needs some serious adjustment. Step out from underneath that dark cloud.The view is much better over here with those of us enjoying this great season.:supernana:

I am enjoying this great season. I think we probably could win it all with what we have.

But Kenny's not the type to sit idly by while not getting production from a position that requires it. .270 with ten homers from center field would be amongst the worst in the league at the position. There are plenty of strong defensive minded center fielders who could top those numbers.

DaleJRFan
07-17-2005, 11:54 PM
He is one of the best defensive outfielders in the game. He is hitting 280. What's everyone's beef????

SoxFan76
07-17-2005, 11:57 PM
He is one of the best defensive outfielders in the game. He is hitting 280. What's everyone's beef????

The last time I checked, his double numbers were pretty good. He might be leading the team. I'd like to see him hit more home runs, but I can definitely live with doubles.

My only complaint is his strikeout numbers. He's been striking out a ton.

shoota
07-18-2005, 02:55 AM
I am enjoying this great season. I think we probably could win it all with what we have.

But Kenny's not the type to sit idly by while not getting production from a position that requires it. .270 with ten homers from center field would be amongst the worst in the league at the position. There are plenty of strong defensive minded center fielders who could top those numbers.

Fair enough, there's always room to upgrade. It wouldn't be a wise move for a GM to make slight upgrades on a position when there are other positions more in need of upgrade. This is the "The team is only as good as its weakest link" theory. Every team has the most to gain by upgrading its worst contributer. On the Sox, that would be Joe Crede. KW would be prudent to start removing the worst, first, then move on to upgrading the bullpen, SS, maybe work on obtaining another ace starter, all before even coming to Aaron Rowand.

Let's not worry about waxing the eyebrows of the White Sox before removing the tumor.

AaronsAmigos
07-18-2005, 09:15 AM
aaron rowand hasn't had the power numbers everyone thought he would have, but his average is still there and is climbing, i predict that aaron will have 20 homers and a .290-.300 average by the end of the season.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Fair enough, there's always room to upgrade. It wouldn't be a wise move for a GM to make slight upgrades on a position when there are other positions more in need of upgrade. This is the "The team is only as good as its weakest link" theory. Every team has the most to gain by upgrading its worst contributer. On the Sox, that would be Joe Crede. KW would be prudent to start removing the worst, first, then move on to upgrading the bullpen, SS, maybe work on obtaining another ace starter, all before even coming to Aaron Rowand.

Let's not worry about waxing the eyebrows of the White Sox before removing the tumor.

Yeah, but in today's game centerfield is either a power or extreme speed position. We have five starters. We have plenty of capable guys in the pen. And you can get away with little offensive production out of SS because it is the most important defensive position on the field. After third base, I'd turn my attention to CF. Why do you think Kenny was inquiring about Griffey earlier this year?

nug0hs
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I just bought his jersey tee, my first non-food purchase at the Cell in ___? Go Crash!!!

mcfish
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I didn't say Rowand wasn't a contributer. But CF is an area of possible upgrade if Aaron doesn't step up his game.I didn't really want to post today, but there are so many other things to worry about besides CF. Aaron started really slow. Throw out April, and he's hitting .328. With it, he's still at .286 which is second on the team behind Podsednik. He's been getting clutch hits all year, and his defense has been exemplary. What more does he have to do for you? His power numbers are down, but the teams been winning, and he's been a big part of that.

Mr. White Sox
07-18-2005, 04:16 PM
I also think Aaron's defense is above average, his arm is great, etc. etc. His offensive production is good enough that he is not a liability, and he produces in whatever spot of the lineup he's put in. My question will be for KW in the off-season though. Brian Anderson is virtually major-league ready, and probably should be on the team next year. He plays CF, so, what to do with Aaron? Ryan Sweeney and Chris Young should probably be ready in a couple of years or so as well. Are Dye/Rowand trade possibilities in the off-season, or will Timo get the axe to let Anderson have a shot at the 4th OF position? Thoughts?

And yes, I know I shouldn't be thinking towards next year with the great season the Sox are having, but I still can postulate...right?:(:

PennStater98r
07-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Heck - add 2000 to that as well - at least based on what we did in the play-offs.

maurice
07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Brian Anderson is virtually major-league ready, and probably should be on the team next year. He plays CF, so, what to do with Aaron?

A lot of it depends on what happens with 1B. One possibility:
Dye --> 1B
Rowand --> RF
Anderson --> CF

You'd be sacrificing some power, but adding a ton of defensive range and maybe some points in AVE.

munchman33
07-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I didn't really want to post today, but there are so many other things to worry about besides CF. Aaron started really slow. Throw out April, and he's hitting .328. With it, he's still at .286 which is second on the team behind Podsednik. He's been getting clutch hits all year, and his defense has been exemplary. What more does he have to do for you? His power numbers are down, but the teams been winning, and he's been a big part of that.

He has strikingly few extra base hits, though. If you're only gonna hit singles, you better be running all the time like pods does.

maurice
07-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Dont overstate it. Rowand has few homers. He leads the team in doubles.

Also, he's currently 3rd among the starters in OBP and has 12 SB v. only 4 CS.

Tragg
07-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Dye --> 1B
Rowand --> RF
Anderson --> CF

You'd be sacrificing some power, but adding a ton of defensive range and maybe some points in AVE.
And freeing up about $8 million in salary to pursue other upgrades.

mcfish
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Dye --> 1B
Rowand --> RF
Anderson --> CF

You'd be sacrificing some power, but adding a ton of defensive range and maybe some points in AVE.Why would you take arguably your best outfielder, and certainly the one with the best arm, out of the outfield and put him at first of all places? I much more prefer the idea I saw earlier of buying Everett a 1B glove and telling him to learn how to use it in the offseason.

kevingrt
07-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Why would you take arguably your best outfielder, and certainly the one with the best arm, out of the outfield and put him at first of all places? I much more prefer the idea I saw earlier of buying Everett a 1B glove and telling him to learn how to use it in the offseason.

Got to agree with you on this one mcfish. Rowand is an above average CF with a good arm, and Dye could be our best outfielder with the best arm for sure. Dye gets great jump on balls, so he doesn't make many catches look spectacular. Anderson still might need some time and he can play any position in the outfield, so he would not be a bad back-up at all.

If we could get Everett to play 1B that would be great. The only question is how many years does Carl have left in his body and his bat? That also brings to question our future at 1B. Where is Casey Rogorski? Is he close to MLB ready yet?

JB98
07-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Got to agree with you on this one mcfish. Rowand is an above average CF with a good arm, and Dye could be our best outfielder with the best arm for sure. Dye gets great jump on balls, so he doesn't make many catches look spectacular. Anderson still might need some time and he can play any position in the outfield, so he would not be a bad back-up at all.

If we could get Everett to play 1B that would be great. The only question is how many years does Carl have left in his body and his bat? That also brings to question our future at 1B. Where is Casey Rogorski? Is he close to MLB ready yet?

Rogowski is hitting .327 at Birmingham, but he hasn't hit for much power for a man his size. Hopefully, that will come with experience. Sometimes, it takes a little while for that to develop. We might see him at first base in 2007.

I can't see Everett playing 1B, and I agree with posters who have stated its foolish to take JD out of RF. He is a damn good outfielder, and he should stay right where he is now. If Konerko is not brought back, look for Gload or some other one-year stopgap at 1B in 2006. The thought of that makes me shudder, but that's probably what they'll do if they see Rogowski as the 1B of the future.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 01:24 AM
If Konerko is not brought back, look for Gload or some other one-year stopgap at 1B in 2006. The thought of that makes me shudder, but that's probably what they'll do if they see Rogowski as the 1B of the future.

The thought of excellent defense doesn't make me shudder. Neither does the super power display Gload is putting on at Charlotte. However, I would have to say that a move of Gload to first would be best offset by another addition of power by swapping Rowand with someone else. The problem though is that power hitting CF's that don't strike out a ton are rarely available, and when they are they cost a ton. For that I'm guessing KW would have to look inside the organization to a guy like Anderson. But, I'm no scout or anything, so I don't even know if they would consider him ready yet.

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 01:29 AM
One other thing:

I think Aaron needs a trip down in the order and maybe Dye could use a trip up the order.

Since Rowand hasn't done much in the 3 or 5 hole, I think something like this could work out for the time being:

Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Thomas
Konerko
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

maurice
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Why would you take arguably your best outfielder . . . and put him at first of all places?

I wouldn't put Rowand (best defensive OF) at 1B. Dye would go to 1B, because he's losing range. He does have a very good arm, but so do Timo and Konerko. That doesn't make any of them good defensive OFs at this stage of their careers, because throwing is just part of what an OF needs to do. The other part of it (running around) is better done by younger, faster guys.

In other news, Rowand and especially Anderson both have good arms, as well. The worst defensive OF (with the worst arm by far) is Podsednik, but I doubt he'll be moving to 1B any time soon.

Everett is another option at 1B, but he may be gone next year.