PDA

View Full Version : At what age should parents bring kids to a ballgame?

whitesoxwin
07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
At what age should parents bring kids to a ballgame?
This question came up again today.
The Wife & I were at a game a few nights ago, sitting down the 1st base line.
This young couple were sitting in front of us with two children: 1 year old & a month old child.
Well, a foul ball came in--luckily it was popped up--and landed about three feet from the couple.
The father was holding the 1 year old and there was NO WAY he could have protected his Wife and infant, especially, if the foul ball was hit as a line shot.
Shouldn't there be some sort of age restriction in place?
Besides the harm it may, and could, do to a young child --the emotional toll would be huge on basically everybody who may witness the situation.
Also, what about parents (with very young children and infants) who sit in the front few rows between the backstop and first or third base?
Now, a bat (slipping out of a batter's hand) may come into play, not just a foul ball or maybe even an errant throw.
What goes through the minds of some people really confuses me.
By the way, We (the Wife & I) are not against kids going to a baseball game: We encourage and support it!!
Nothing more special than seeing the smile on the face of a kid at a ballpark.
But, again, at what age should parents bring kids to a ballgame?
Just thought I would put this on the board for discussion.

Chips
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
When they understand baseball. I don't think most kids understand the game before 6 years old. I went to my first game when I was 6, the same year I started little league.

whitesoxwin
07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I tend to agree.
Thanks.

CallMeNuts
07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Two things to consider here: 1) Safety 2) Enjoyment

2) Enjoyment: My dad started taking me at 4. I started taking my kids when they were about 5. That seems like the time to me when the kids can have a fun time at the ballpark.

1) Safety: If you bring your kids any younger, you are probably not doing it for them. You are probably doing it for you. Safety has to be your number one concern. While there are inherent dangers wherever you are in the park, there are certainly some seats that are worse than others. You need to stay away from seats where the ball is going to be on you too fast. And stay away from the flying bat zone. Behind the screen is safer than most areas. Upstairs isn't bad if you have seats near the entrance. Family section in the outfield is good. The last rows in the lower bowl are OK. Just be smart, and attentive wherever you are. It's also a heck of a lot easier when the crowd isn't huge.

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
I was six and had been a Sox fan for a year. I think my son was just about the same age.

A_ROW33
07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
When they understand baseball. I don't think most kids understand the game before 6 years old. I went to my first game when I was 6, the same year I started little league.

I agree, I was 6 as well when I went to my first game, albeit was a kane county cougars game, and my first sox game in 94 I was 8. The first ball game and first big league game are great moments when the child knows what is going on.

There is always a risk at a baseball game, even older people end up going to the hospital when a ball is lined right at them. However it is probably best to wait until the child understands the game and also at that age he/she probably would have the ability to at least try to protect themself and not completely rely on their parent to deflect the ball.

Brian26
07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
At what age should parents bring kids to a ballgame?

elrod
07-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Safety is always a factor but it's not usually an issue at the Cell. I don't think there is any age before which you can't bring them to the game. Just be prepared to spend a LOT of time doing things other than watching the game. I've taken my 3.5 year old to 7 games already - 6 at the Cell and one at RFK. He loves going to the games mostly for the following reasons:

a) He LOVES riding the El. Honestly, he could ride the El all day and it would be the best day in his life. And when we get off the El at Sox-35th he loves watching the Metra and freight trains going by. For kids that love trains, the Cell is a great place.
b) Churros. A big ballgame treat and he looks forward to it every time.
c) Fundamentals. He loves hitting the ball off the tee and racing Podsednik. The other stuff he's too young for but he always asks to go up to the Fundamentals area.
d) Fireworks. He was scared the first time, but now he loves them.
e) Saying the players' names. For some reason the player he used to love to say was "Rivas" (we went to the infamous Hunter-Burke collision game). Now he loves trying to say "Tadahito Iguchi".

Every kid latches on to something different. Each time we go he gets a little more into the game itself. Again, for a kid to enjoy the game you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time exploring the stadium, and leaving early if necessary. If you go just to bring them for yourself then you'll be annoyed at how little time you actually watch the game (though the Cell does have tons of vantage points so you can at least catch a glimpse of the action no matter where you are).

Hope this helps.

Chips
07-17-2005, 04:46 PM

You don't need your parents to take you when you're 18. Not even 14.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-17-2005, 04:54 PM
You don't need your parents to take you when you're 18. Not even 14.

Me thinks Brian26 is joking.

Anyway, I think that 10 years old is a good age. At last Sunday's game I was surrounded by kids in the upper deck, it seems like the 10-13 year olds were paying attention while those under 10 were having more fun either hanging on the hand rails or finding different ways to sit in their seat.

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Speaking of safety, the closest I ever came to a foul ball (before I took a deflected one from Maggs off the chest a couple of years ago) was a Old Comiskey. My son had left a couple of minutes before with his Grandpa Bova to the concession stand or the restroom or something when a foul ball landed in the seat he had just vacated. Yeah, you do need to watch out.

Tragg
07-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Infancy - otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten to go a Sox WS game!

ChiSoxRowand
07-17-2005, 06:22 PM
5 or 6.

UglySince83
07-17-2005, 06:23 PM
First game i went to i was 5, first game i remember was in 1990 vs texas longest rainout in history, (still have the ticket.) and i started to go to sox games by my self when i was 10. I'd say it depends on the kid really, if there too young to realize whats going on, they shouldnt be there.

SOXPHILE
07-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I don't plan on bringing my 18 month old to a game until he's at least 5 or 6. To me, if you bring him before, it's:

A) Not fair to him, because he's not old enough to know what's going on. He would be bored, and just want to run around. Plus, if the weather is really hot, cold or rainy, he shouldn't be out for extended periods of time in that.

B) Not fair to those sitting around me, as I would constantly be getting up to change diapers, chase him down, and he would get squirmy, start crying, and generally make it more difficult for the other people to watch and enjoy the game.

C) Bad for me, because of everything I stated in section B. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game to it's fullest.

soltrain21
07-17-2005, 06:44 PM
First game i went to i was 5, first game i remember was in 1990 vs texas longest rainout in history, (still have the ticket.) and i started to go to sox games by my self when i was 10. I'd say it depends on the kid really, if there too young to realize whats going on, they shouldnt be there.

Games by yourself when you are 10? That is crazy.

I would say around the age of 5-6. I think that is the age where the kids would be amazed by all that is happening around them. Hopefully that amazement sticks with them the rest of their lives.

UglySince83
07-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Games by yourself when you are 10? That is crazy.

I would say around the age of 5-6. I think that is the age where the kids would be amazed by all that is happening around them. Hopefully that amazement sticks with them the rest of their lives.

untill i was 13 I lived near comiskey park, we moved b/c of I used to blow off school and head down to comiskey to see the games. Needless to say my 'rents where PISSED but oh well i had a blast

jabrch
07-18-2005, 01:41 AM
My friends have a 1 year old. We take her with us to games. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not - just a statement of fact.

BarbG
07-18-2005, 02:10 AM
All kids are extremely different.

I went to my first game at age 7 with a park district group. Tom Egan hit a roofshot and I thought they did that every day. Once I had proven I could sit through and pay attention to a game my dad started taking me regularly.

I think my oldest was 3 the first time I brought her. She was 3-going-on-30 though - no problems.

Started taking them both when they got the straight-A tickets, so they were 6 or 7, by then they both understood and enjoyed the game.

Interesting question. I don't think I've ever been concerned for my kids' safety at the park. One time years ago some jerk blocked a foul ball headed toward him with his toddler who had been on his lap (actually ducked behind the kid). Whoever got the ball gave it to the kid but it didn't help the bruise on his shoulder much. Last April a father brought 3 little boys but kept leaving them in the seats by themselves and the 2 littler ones were hysterical with tears by the time he came back, everyone around was trying to calm them. So I guess I'm not so much concerned with age but rather bring your kids to a game when you're going to watch and take care of them.

maurice
07-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Deuce and I had season tix next to a couple with an infant. The only "problem" was that they had to leave night games early to put the kid to bed. Otherwise, it was a total non-issue. The kid's probably in more danger sitting in a car driving to the game.

Tragg
07-18-2005, 03:45 PM
If you bring kids to a ball-game, just bring a glove and stay alert and you'll have no problems.

Tekijawa
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
The kid's probably in more danger sitting in a car driving to the game.

:moron
"In that Neighborhood, YES! He'd probably get stolen, and traded for Crack or Bullets"

I want Mags back
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM

no, I was 5 in '94 and had a good enough understanding then. No where near what i know now, but enough to go to as many games as i did before the strike.

CHIsoxNation
07-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Are you kidding, I want my kid to hear the beautiful sounds of Nancy playing the organ when he/she is still in my wife's womb.

I guess about the age of 5 when he/she comes out.

soxwon
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
sad story

i knew a couple who brought their two month old to a cubs game, last spring it was a bit chilly, but the couple didnt bundle the child up properly.
anyways the baby caught a flu bug and it ended up with pnemonia.
it was in and out of the hospital.
the day they picked up the child after a weeks stay.
transporting the kid home, they were struck by a drunk driver.
the baby and mother were killed.

all because they took a 2 month old to a ball game.

jake27
07-18-2005, 05:05 PM
well if your in the upper deck, i dont think it matters if you bring a baby. im not missing out on games whenever u become a daddy, im just gonna bring my kid. i wouldnt sit so close that a ball or bat will come close to my kid tho. mabye when the kid is 2-4 or 5 ish i wont take him at all. no kid that young could stand still and i dont want to chase him around all day. starting at 5 or 6 he will beable to understand the game more.

MUsoxfan
07-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I want my kid to be old enough to remember his first Sox game.

lbtigerfan
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I want my kid to be old enough to remember his first Sox game.

I'll remember that

lbtigerfan
07-18-2005, 05:57 PM
sad story

i knew a couple who brought their two month old to a cubs game, last spring it was a bit chilly, but the couple didnt bundle the child up properly.
anyways the baby caught a flu bug and it ended up with pnemonia.
it was in and out of the hospital.
the day they picked up the child after a weeks stay.
transporting the kid home, they were struck by a drunk driver.
the baby and mother were killed.

all because they took a 2 month old to a ball game.

no.. all because they took a two month old to a ball game in cold weather.

DenverSock
07-18-2005, 07:10 PM
We did choose seats where we'd be safe from foul balls etc., chose seats where they would be in the shade. It depends on the family. They've been to games in 6 or 7 cities.

SOXSINCE'70
07-18-2005, 08:18 PM
6 or 7 is a good age.My niece went to her first sCrUBS game when she was 5.
I can't do anything about it.Her father's entire family bleeds sCrUBbie blue.:(:

pammar
07-19-2005, 06:42 AM
When they are interested enough not to bother YOU while you watch, and old enough to duck when a ball is coming. I'll never forget bringing my four year old son, who really liked to watch baseball at home, but was bored at the game. His "Is it over yet?" was very distracting and we did end up leaving around the fifth, after I bought him half the food at the park to keep him at least a little happy :) Missed a good game too! I learned :) Wasn't the kid's fault; 'twas mine.

SOXintheBURGH
07-19-2005, 07:21 AM
I was 5.. Sox lost to the Twins 5-3. :angry:

steff
07-19-2005, 07:33 AM
My first game was at 7 months old, I took my neice to her first game at 8 months old (in the picture below she is 2 and had already been to more games in her 2 years than my sister has been in her entire life). She slept most of the time. Not a big deal. Depends on the child. I would take an infant before a toddler who wants to be running around all over the place.

zach23
07-19-2005, 10:01 AM
My son will be 1 in a couple of weeks. He has been to 2 games already, one on memorial day and a night game against Oakland. My seats are in the first row of the bleachers and it is easy for me to see the ball coming and protect him.
He was good at both games, no fussing or anything, so it wasn't a big deal. The night game he slept most of the time. He will be going again on Elvis night and maybe even a couple more times.
It will be nice to tell him someday that he was at some games during the Sox greatest season in history. :smile:

Iwritecode
07-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I went to my first game when I was 14... :(: My parents weren't really baseball fans.

I took my two oldest daughters to a kids day when they were 6 & 7. My youngest wants to go back so she can see the shower. :D:

Stroker Ace
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Before they leave the womb. Gotta get em' started early.

RKMeibalane
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Maybe if they're Cubs fans.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Maybe if they're Cubs fans.
Nah...21 for them. They need to be old enough to legally get wasted, so they don't have to watch the product on the field. :wink:

As for myself, I've been going to White Sox games all my life and nothing ever happened to me. Although, I did get lost from my dad when I was maybe 3 years old at the park, but thankfully I wasn't lost for long because I had my ticket stub.

Heffalump
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
My wife and I were talking about this the other day...

I've been to 8 games so far this year. In every one of them, there have been fans that have infants with them. I think that this is insane!! First, it is unsafe for the little baby and second, the parent's can't enjoy the game as much as the normally would due to caring for the baby.

Why not just get a family member to babysit for one night? Its just mindboggling to me.

As for the appropriate age to bring a kid to a game, I think any age where the child can appreciate/enjoy some part of the baseball experience, whether that is enjoying their first hot dog, playing on the kids deck, or actually watching the game.

HAR-OLD
07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
i really think it justs depends on the kids and the parents

i went to my first game when i was like 3 months old, actually i still have the popcron megaphone with the date somewhere, and it says on there it would have been earlier if not for the strike (1981)

my parents brought all of us (4 kids) starting really young, usually not all at once, BUT we were expected to sit still, watch the game, not bother people, ask questions when we didnt get something, etc.

and i might not remember my first game, but i kind of like it that way,
going to sox games is such an integral part of how i grew up that it makes sense that way, i dont remember the first time i was ever in my old house growing up either, know what i mean?

plus i have a lot of memories of the old park that i wouldnt have otherwise

flo-B-flo
07-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Before they leave the womb. Gotta get em' started early. My aunt was pregnant and went to many games with my dad and I so I believe this. Great Sox fan and several of my cousins are Sox fans as well. Sadly most are..........never mind.

flo-B-flo
07-20-2005, 12:35 AM
My wife and I were talking about this the other day...

I've been to 8 games so far this year. In every one of them, there have been fans that have infants with them. I think that this is insane!! First, it is unsafe for the little baby and second, the parent's can't enjoy the game as much as the normally would due to caring for the baby.

Why not just get a family member to babysit for one night? Its just mindboggling to me.

As for the appropriate age to bring a kid to a game, I think any age where the child can appreciate/enjoy some part of the baseball experience, whether that is enjoying their first hot dog, playing on the kids deck, or actually watching the game. My dad told me when I understand the game and was able to catch a hardball most of the time I could go to a game. I was 7 when I went to old Sox park for the first time. The Sox and Cleveland.

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2005, 07:45 AM
I would say 5 or 6 is a good age to bring your child to the ballgame. Younger children would get bored and get irritable. Anyone who goes to a mall or department store knows how young children in strollers scream their heads off or cry without tears. The same would happen at ballgames.

steff
07-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I would say 5 or 6 is a good age to bring your child to the ballgame. Younger children would get bored and get irritable. Anyone who goes to a mall or department store knows how young children in strollers scream their heads off or cry without tears. The same would happen at ballgames.

I agree, many do. But some don't. I don't think there's any set age. Just depends on the kid.

maurice
07-20-2005, 12:47 PM
I would say 5 or 6 is a good age to bring your child to the ballgame. Younger children would get bored and get irritable.

Totally depends on the kid and the adult. I took a 3-year-old who quietly sat and watched the game and the crowd through the 7th inning stretch. Then, we checked out some of the interesting things on the concourse for the rest of the game. This was pre-fundamentals-deck.

SoxRox
07-20-2005, 01:32 PM
My wife and I have been bringing our kid since he was 9 months old (He is 21 months now). He loves the games and screams GO SOX! if you egg him on. We purchased a 9-game plan and specificaly requested seats on the aisle so we can have the extra elbow room. The only problem we have had was lately when our seats have been directly in the hot sun (like that Sat. game vs. the Cubs). It gets too much for him and we have to take turns bringing him up into the concourse for awhile.

Next year we will get seats on the aisle AND in the shade.

And, yes, we do keep our eye out for foul balls. Though we have never had one get even close.

-sOxRoX

Trav
07-20-2005, 01:45 PM
My father took me along with my other 3 (and later 4) siblings to the old park when we were all young. Not one of us is a cub fan now and I think it could be directly attributed to that. He took my younger brother when he was an infant so that my brother could always say that he was at the old park. This season would be the same way if I had kid.

Foul balls and thrown bats are not a problem if you are paying attention. Just sit between your kid and the field and there is risk.