PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Slogan

Lip Man 1
07-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Sox historian Rich Lindberg just passed along an e-mail to me which I wanted to share. Seems to be a good phrase:

"It was around this time of year in 1983, when Richard Justice of the Dallas Times Herald quoting Rangers manager Doug Rader, said that the Sox were "winning ugly."

I think I found an applicable 2005 slogan -- from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune of Sunday July 16, page C15, talking about the Sox as baseball's best road team:

"They could win on the moon!"

It is nice to see that the out-of-town media recognizes the Sox strengths in a positive way and accords the team its deserved respect -- so unlike certain local columnists who have produced such "on the mark" headlines in 2005 like "Don't Buy What Ozzie is Selling!"

I for one will buy what Ozzie is selling, and I think that the thousands of Sox fans in Chicago short-changed by the media will agree."

Rich Lindberg
Historian and Author of the White Sox Encyclopedia

SpammySosa
07-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Not to hijack your thread Lip,but have you heard anything new from Rich regarding an updated version of the Encyclopedia?

veeter
07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Sox fans have been short changed...for a long time. And no matter what happens this year I fully expect to be short changed again next year. With either "yes, but can you repeat" stuff or "last year was a fluke" stuff. The LONG awaited, well deserved recognition, especially by out of town media, is great. However, Kenny summed up media thoughts for all spurned Sox fans perfectly. "WE DON'T CARE". Now, get out of our way.

RallyBowl
07-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Sox fans have been short changed...for a long time. And no matter what happens this year I fully expect to be short changed again next year. With either "yes, but can you repeat" stuff or "last year was a fluke" stuff. The LONG awaited, well deserved recognition, especially by out of town media, is great. However, Kenny summed up media thoughts for all spurned Sox fans perfectly. "WE DON'T CARE". Now, get out of our way.
"we don't care" should definitely be this year's motto.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2005, 08:41 PM
In regards to the updating of the White Sox Encyclopedia, this is what Rich has to say:

"As soon as Temple University Press says go ahead, I will proceed. Hopefully that will be in the Fall."

Lip

Optipessimism
07-18-2005, 04:50 AM
That's a cool slogan, but how about this:

The difference between winning and a losing is purely black and white. Sox Pride!!!

- or a variation -

Play hard, play right, and do it in black and white. Sox Pride!!!

skottyj242
07-18-2005, 10:12 AM
2005 Chicago White Sox: They're real and they're spectacular.

Read that in an article that was posted here last week, I guess one of Ozzie's sons was wearing a shirt that said that. Great Seinfeld reference.

Baby Fisk
07-18-2005, 10:37 AM
2005 Chicago White Sox: They're real and they're spectacular.

Read that in an article that was posted here last week, I guess one of Ozzie's sons was wearing a shirt that said that. Great Seinfeld reference.
That is awesome. :cool:

Under the Radar is prolly the best one tho.

SpammySosa
07-18-2005, 05:12 PM
In regards to the updating of the White Sox Encyclopedia, this is what Rich has to say:

"As soon as Temple University Press says go ahead, I will proceed. Hopefully that will be in the Fall."

Lip

Thanks for the update,Lip.I look forward to it!:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2005, 05:20 PM
That is awesome. :cool:

Under the Radar is prolly the best one tho.

I agree...I mean a team nickname can't be a sentence-long nickname. Hitless Wonders, Southside Hitmen, Go Go Sox, and Winning Ugly certainly weren't sentence-long nicknames.

SOXSINCE'70
07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
"We Don't Care" and "UnderThe Radar".

MIgrenade
07-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Sox historian Rich Lindberg just passed along an e-mail to me which I wanted to share. Seems to be a good phrase:

"It was around this time of year in 1983, when Richard Justice of the Dallas Times Herald quoting Rangers manager Doug Rader, said that the Sox were "winning ugly."

I think I found an applicable 2005 slogan -- from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune of Sunday July 16, page C15, talking about the Sox as baseball's best road team:

"They could win on the moon!"

It is nice to see that the out-of-town media recognizes the Sox strengths in a positive way and accords the team its deserved respect -- so unlike certain local columnists who have produced such "on the mark" headlines in 2005 like "Don't Buy What Ozzie is Selling!"

I for one will buy what Ozzie is selling, and I think that the thousands of Sox fans in Chicago short-changed by the media will agree."

Rich Lindberg
Historian and Author of the White Sox Encyclopedia

While I find it accurate I don't think it sounds good. Moonball or something. I guess trying to figure out names never works, it's like any good nickname, it just kinda happens.

Daver
07-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Just Win Baby.

batmanZoSo
07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Get out of our way.

TimoandAaron
07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Go Go White Sox of the present!

scottjanssens
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
The Grinder Sox.

Wirtzsucks19
07-18-2005, 11:39 PM
The Grinder Sox.perfect

southsidegirl
07-18-2005, 11:43 PM
"Where did we go right?"

FedEx227
07-19-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm still a huge fan of Under the Radar.

Bucky F. Dent
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
yep, "under the radar."

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 03:31 PM
go Go GO GO WHITE ....SOX!
or .........White Sox Baseball: So Far...So Good...So What!

Hangar18
07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
yep, "under the radar."

How about ....... Guerilla Baseball