PDA

View Full Version : Yankees inquired about El Dugue...

FanofBill
07-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Obtain Duque of hurl to get perfect match

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-i4flash174347662jul17,0,987713.column?coll=ny-sports-print

July 17, 2005

As they desperately try to find starters, just two words for the Yankees: "El" and "Duque."

Unlike several other so-called pitchers they've acquired in recent years, Orlando Hernandez is proven in the American League. More to the point, he's proven in New York.

Plus, he's usually a monster in October. And the Yankees shouldn't give up on October. Not yet, they shouldn't.

A Yankees person said they actually did call about Hernandez several weeks ago, well before their pitching situation grew this desperate. However, they were told the White Sox couldn't trade Hernandez unless they could first acquire a hard-throwing starter such as A.J. Burnett or Jason Schmidt.

MeanFish
07-17-2005, 09:08 AM
That doesn't sound like an "almost" to me.

However, what does intrigue me is the idea that a three-way trade could be in the works, oddly with the Yankees helping us get our guy so that they can get our scraps.

He gone
07-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Orlando Hernandez is proven in the American League.

Reason enough to keep him.

Besides who on the Yankees is available that the Sox would want :?:

Tragg
07-17-2005, 09:17 AM
The last thing we should do is give the Yankees access to a pitcher. Let them find one from Colorado, the Reds, Tampa Bay or the Royals.

gr8mexico
07-17-2005, 09:29 AM
The Sox should never consider trading El duque.He is going to be the key that helps the Sox get into the WS.The guy loves the big games if the Yankees want to take someone back it should be Contreras not El Duque.

beckett21
07-17-2005, 09:35 AM
First off, I am not in favor of moving El Duque. However...

I love it how some people are so against getting a Schmidt or Burnett because of the injury risk, but yet continue to support Hernandez, who hasn't thrown a pitch for this team since when exactly? Someone remind me, I can't remember.

I love El Duque and was in favor of the acquisition, but it wouldn't break my heart to deal him if the team were able to land another quality starter. Hernandez' availability for the balance of the season is far from guaranteed, I would venture to guess. AKA damaged goods.

Why people continue to think he will be available in October when he couldn't pitch in June is beyond me.

veeter
07-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Why would we EVER help the Yankees? The Sox hold the cards and are probably loving their position. The Sox got El Duque to help the Sox, not to give him away just when they'll need him most.

Jjav829
07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Why people continue to think he will be available in October when he couldn't pitch in June is beyond me.

I don't get any of it. The last time El Duque was dominant in the playoffs was, what, 2001? I'm not saying get rid of him for nothing, but if the Yankees were willing to give up a prospect/player that could be used to help get Burnett, the Sox should absolutely consider it. There's absolutely no guarantee that El Duque will be healthy or effective come the playoffs.

Hey, Cashman, El Duque for Tom Gordon. :redneck :tongue:

beckett21
07-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't get any of it. The last time El Duque was dominant in the playoffs was, what, 2001? I'm not saying get rid of him for nothing, but if the Yankees were willing to give up a prospect/player that could be used to help get Burnett, the Sox should absolutely consider it. There's absolutely no guarantee that El Duque will be healthy or effective come the playoffs.

That's what I have been saying all along.

El Duque's great on paper. Yes, the team has gotten along quite well without him this season. No reason to panic, sure.

But the thought that he is going to ride in on a white horse in October and carry this team on that creaky shoulder of his to the promised land is pure folly.

He would look great in the bullpen, but I don't want to rely on him for the whole second half. If he goes down, then what? McCarthy? No offense, but no thanks. THAT is what will wear a bullpen out down the stretch, not having a reliable 5th starter to eat up innings every 5 days. The two and three-inning starts will kill the bullpen come September and October.

Soxzilla
07-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm just wondering, but how much of Jose Contreras' success was due to him having a pal like El Duque around.

Back when El Duque was healthy and Contreras was dealing, you would always seem them yucking it up on the bench when the Sox were batting.

...Just a thought.

balke
07-17-2005, 10:50 AM
A-Rod for Uribe, El Duque and a PTBN. Mccarthy and Borchard for Schmidt.

/pipe dream /teal

Daver
07-17-2005, 10:57 AM

The Yankees don't have any prospects, their farm system is comprised of career minor leaguers for the most part.

Jjav829
07-17-2005, 11:04 AM
The Yankees don't have any prospects, their farm system is comprised of career minor leaguers for the most part.

LOL, yeah, well, that's the downside to my idea. The few prospects that the Yankees have that might be worth something in a trade (Eric Duncan, Andy Phillips), they won't give up for just El Duque.

Tragg
07-17-2005, 11:28 AM
First off, I am not in favor of moving El Duque. However...

I love it how some people are so against getting a Schmidt or Burnett because of the injury risk, but yet continue to support Hernandez, who hasn't thrown a pitch for this team since when exactly? Someone remind me, I can't remember.

I love El Duque and was in favor of the acquisition, but it wouldn't break my heart to deal him if the team were able to land another quality starter. Hernandez' availability for the balance of the season is far from guaranteed, I would venture to guess. AKA damaged goods.

He's certainly a huge risk for injury. But we don't have to give up anything to acquire that injury risk - he's ours now. The difference with the other 2 is that we have to give up premium talent to acquire those injury risks, so I don't see much inconsistency.

So we trade El D to the yankees, and then give Contreras and whatever we get from the Yanks to Fla to rent Burnett for 2 months. And then we have to take lowell and his $25 mill contract (forget signing FAs next year). That would be a disaster.

Mr. White Sox
07-17-2005, 04:44 PM
A-Rod for Uribe, El Duque and a PTBN. Mccarthy and Borchard for Schmidt.
/teal

yeah, not unless JR wants to double the Sox' payroll. :smile:

ChiSoxRowand
07-17-2005, 06:32 PM
There is no way we should help a team who we might meet in the playoffs fill one of their weaknesses. Although if this would end up being a three way deal with Burnett and we didn't have to give up a lot, I would be for it.

SOXSINCE'70
07-18-2005, 12:11 PM
yeah, not unless JR wants to double the Sox' payroll. :smile:

:tealpolice:

:reinsy
"Whaddya think i'm made of,money??Bite your tongue!!
Why isn't this post in teal????"

fquaye149
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM
That's what I have been saying all along.

El Duque's great on paper. Yes, the team has gotten along quite well without him this season. No reason to panic, sure.

But the thought that he is going to ride in on a white horse in October and carry this team on that creaky shoulder of his to the promised land is pure folly.

He would look great in the bullpen, but I don't want to rely on him for the whole second half. If he goes down, then what? McCarthy? No offense, but no thanks. THAT is what will wear a bullpen out down the stretch, not having a reliable 5th starter to eat up innings every 5 days. The two and three-inning starts will kill the bullpen come September and October.

I don't know that anyone expects him to carry the team on their shoulders. He would probably be a spot starter in postseason play, if a series was running long. It would be nice to have a gutty pitcher for a game like that.

I guess my "optimism" has to do with the fact that the team has been so cautious with him. He's been pitching well and has not pressed his arm, and we've been patient. A 12 game lead also helps with giving him breaks throughout the regular season.

That said, if we were to land a starter, I would be immediately in favor of bumping El Duque from the rotation, not Contreras. I definitely wouldn't put any hopes on the shoulders (specifically the right shoulder) of El Duque.

As it stands though, I think it's fine.

DaleJRFan
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
A Yankees person said they actually did call about Hernandez several weeks ago, well before their pitching situation grew this desperate. However, they were told the White Sox couldn't trade Hernandez unless they could first acquire a hard-throwing starter such as A.J. Burnett or Jason Schmidt.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-i4flash174347662jul17,0,987713.column?coll=ny-sports-print

What could the Yankees possibly offer to the Sox to nab El Duque?? Ugh...

Optipessimism
07-19-2005, 01:08 AM

What could the Yankees possibly offer to the Sox to nab El Duque?? Ugh...

Let's ask for Pavano and cash plus Gordon, and then we can deal for Burnett. Maybe we can sign Raul Mondesi and Jeremy Giambi to minor league deals and send them too.

Hey, if it works in a video game it could work with Steinbrenner.

Banix12
07-19-2005, 01:15 AM
I don't see the Sox doing anything to help the Yankees out of their pitching problems. Why help out a team you may have to face later?

We only traded them Loazia last season because frankly, that didn't help the Yankees.

DaleJRFan
07-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Let's ask for Pavano and cash plus Gordon, and then we can deal for Burnett. Maybe we can sign Raul Mondesi and Jeremy Giambi to minor league deals and send them too.

Hey, if it works in a video game it could work with Steinbrenner.

oh man... I can't count how many times I've done that in MVP05.

But seriously, are the Yankees that desperate that they are inquiring as to the avavilability of players they couldn't resign?? Gimme a break.

FarWestChicago
07-19-2005, 01:19 AM

What could the Yankees possibly offer to the Sox to nab El Duque?? Ugh...Cold off the presses!! Read the damn board before posting ancient news as HOT. :rolleyes: