PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrissey's anti-cub rant.

anotherDCsoxfan
07-17-2005, 12:40 AM
From the Cubune, no less:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050716morrisseycol,1,6415995.column?coll=cs-home-utility

SOXintheBURGH
07-17-2005, 12:58 AM
I beg your pardon, kind Sir, but would you happen to know the score to the Base-Ball match?

Anyways... awesome.

SoxFan76
07-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Well, and I mean no disrespect to you, DCsoxfan, this is what we (Sox fans) have been saying for years. I'm just surprised an article like this was written for the Tribune!!! What is this world coming to?

The Racehorse
07-17-2005, 01:08 AM
The Cubune admitting it's own blasphemy?

Is this the first crack in the earth's core before the world ends?

SOXintheBURGH
07-17-2005, 01:12 AM
The Cubune admitting it's own blasphemy?

Is this the first crack in the earth's core before the world ends?

:knue

+

:chickenlittle

The Racehorse
07-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Listen to what Harold Rothstein, managing partner of Hi-Tops bar on Sheffield, had to say in the book: "The reality is that Wrigleyville is the biggest beer garden in the world. And if you turned the seats the other way in Wrigley Field, it'd still sell out."

So now it's official that Flub Fans never did pay attention to the game... the greatest fans my ass.

The Racehorse
07-17-2005, 01:29 AM
I think the article coincides perfectly with what zach23 posted in the "You Write Tomorrow's Cubune Headline" thread located in the clubhouse...

- Wrigleyville voted "Greatest place on the face of the earth" by all of humanity.

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 01:54 AM
See that circled c under the article. That means that the Tribune has a copyright on it and that you are in violation of copyright law by reprinting the article in it's entirety. I'm surprised one of the mods hasn't deleted it by now.

FarWestChicago
07-17-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm surprised one of the mods hasn't deleted it by now.I just saw this. Thanks for the heads up, Torn. :thumbsup:

patbooyah
07-17-2005, 02:01 AM
I just saw this. Thanks for the heads up, Torn. :thumbsup:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3070

okay. sorry. i can't resist. i crack myself up.

but the quote from the hi-tops owner about turning the seats to face the other direction was classic!

soltrain21
07-17-2005, 02:04 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3070

okay. sorry. i can't resist. i crack myself up.

Yeesh, you own stock in those things?!

Mr. White Sox
07-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Reason #48473 why Rick Morrissey is a really, really good writer: This entire article. I don't mean the topic. I mean the writing itself. It's a quality perspective on the Cubs, and he presents a great argument. The Cubs originally were built for baseball, but something "mutated" along the way. And now, complacency with regard to earnings have completely altered this franchise and team's purpose. It's what we've all wanted the mass media to shout out. Brilliant.

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Reason #48473 why Rick Morrissey is a really, really good writer: This entire article. I don't mean the topic. I mean the writing itself. It's a quality perspective on the Cubs, and he presents a great argument. The Cubs originally were built for baseball, but something "mutated" along the way. And now, complacency with regard to earnings have completely altered this franchise and team's purpose. It's what we've all wanted the mass media to shout out. Brilliant.

And something I pointed out a lot more briefly in these message boards just a day or two ago when I said that as long as the Cubs draw about 3 million fans every year, Andy MacPhail has no incentive to improve their club.

RadioheadRocks
07-17-2005, 02:28 AM
And something I pointed out a lot more briefly in these message boards just a day or two ago when I said that as long as the Cubs draw about 3 million fans every year, Andy MacPhail has no incentive to improve their club.

Exactly... why kill the goose laying the golden eggs?

Of course Cubs and goose eggs are a match made in heaven! :D:

SOXintheBURGH
07-17-2005, 03:00 AM
Exactly... why kill the goose laying the golden eggs?

Of course Cubs and goose eggs are a match made in heaven! :D:

Goose egg, of course, meaning a BIG FAT ZERO! :cool:

WinOrDyeTrying
07-17-2005, 08:59 AM
"If you're looking for reasons why it's not necessary for the Cubs to field a team capable of winning the World Series, Wickers is a start. He's the embodiment of Cubs fluff. He fits in perfectly with what the organization is selling, which is the Wrigley Field "experience." The experience occasionally offers a playoff berth as an added bonus."
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050716morrisseycol,1,6415995.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Pretty good read. Hits the nail on the head of what White Sox fans have been saying for years. Kind of surprising that such an anti-Cub artical came from the Cubune

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 09:09 AM
"If you're looking for reasons why it's not necessary for the Cubs to field a team capable of winning the World Series, Wickers is a start. He's the embodiment of Cubs fluff. He fits in perfectly with what the organization is selling, which is the Wrigley Field "experience." The experience occasionally offers a playoff berth as an added bonus."

Pretty good read. Hits the nail on the head of what White Sox fans have been saying for years. Kind of surprising that such an anti-Cub artical came from the Cubune

Please, before you post, check the other threads. This is the second thread about this column.

The Critic
07-17-2005, 10:10 AM
"It's like trying to teach 3rd-graders math at an amusement park."

That line sums it up perfectly - now, the Cubs DO have some serious and knowledgable fans who are disgusted by the circus surrounding the team ( I know, because several of my friends and relatives fall into this category ) but the serious fans are dwarfed and rendered irrelevant by the "3rd-graders" who want nothing more than to call their friends from the bleachers to tell them "I'm at Wrigley, dude!!". It's too bad for the true fans, but if they're expecting the circus to leave town any time soon, they'd better forget that idea.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2005, 10:35 AM
It's pretty obvious Morrisey comes to WSI to get his Chicago baseball material. This one is right up there with the "Soxune" column from last month.

The stab at Santo is priceless. And the Wickers stuff? Come on! Who besides us was laughing at the media for being played for such chumps by that celebrity bum?

FielderJones
07-17-2005, 10:41 AM
It's pretty obvious Morrisey comes to WSI to get his Chicago baseball material. This one is right up there with the "Soxune" column from last month.

The stab at Santo is priceless. And the Wickers stuff? Come on! Who besides us was laughing at the media for being played for such chumps by that celebrity bum?

Great column. Validates virtually everything we've ever said about the subject. I expect by end of business Monday, Morrissey is designated for reassignment to the Des Moines Register.

fquaye149
07-17-2005, 10:43 AM

sounds like a certain other chicago sports franchise.

chitownhawkfan
07-17-2005, 10:53 AM
The reality is that Wrigleyville is the biggest beer garden in the world. And if you turned the seats the other way in Wrigley Field, it'd still sell out."

I think this is going to have to be my new sig, everything I think summed up neatly into 29 words.

Clembasbal
07-17-2005, 11:05 AM
"It's like trying to teach 3rd-graders math at an amusement park."

That line sums it up perfectly - now, the Cubs DO have some serious and knowledgable fans who are disgusted by the circus surrounding the team ( I know, because several of my friends and relatives fall into this category ) but the serious fans are dwarfed and rendered irrelevant by the "3rd-graders" who want nothing more than to call their friends from the bleachers to tell them "I'm at Wrigley, dude!!". It's too bad for the true fans, but if they're expecting the circus to leave town any time soon, they'd better forget that idea.

I was going to say something about that line too. Probably the best annology about Wrigley I have seen. It is so true.

Me thinks Rick Morissey wants to work for ESPN.com with this type of article for the Tribune.

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Expect Morrissey to have "an unfortunate accident" and "fall down the stairs," right in the security cameras' blind spot, at the Tribune Tower tomorrow morning.

TomBradley72
07-17-2005, 02:18 PM
My next White Sox jersey = Morrissey on the back :D:

SOXPHILE
07-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I had to rub my eyes a few times to make sure this article was actually in the Tribune. Excellent article. Here's a few things we might be seeing in the next few days in order to restore some sense of normalcy at the Tower:
Tribune sports section, page 1- Rick Morrisey is on vacation

Next Saturdays sports section, page 2 (letters to the sports editor): Lyle from Lakeview, Skip from Glencoe, and Chad from Lincoln Park will write in informing us that that article was a slap in the face. All Cub fans are the best fans in the world, true die hards. It's the Sox fans who are dumb, because no one goes to the games and the park is in a dangerous neighborhood.

Tribune sports section, page 1- Huge 2 page article by Paul Sullivan or Dave Van Dyke with headline Cubs Marching Towards Playoffs, or Why Cubs will go 70-5 Post-All Star Break. There will also be an article by Mark Gonzales stating Sox on Dangerous Ground: History Not On Their Side

C-Dawg
07-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Expect Morrissey to have "an unfortunate accident" and "fall down the stairs," right in the security cameras' blind spot, at the Tribune Tower tomorrow morning.

Probably true!!

Anyway, I just about fell out of my chair when I read the column this morning. Morrissey has 100% blown the cover off the Cub Corporation's scam that they have been perpetuating for the last 20+ years.

bigfoot
07-17-2005, 10:29 PM

"Ronnie Wickers to write a sports column during Morrissey's convalescence.

Wed......Morrissey falls into coma.....

"Wickers column a 'Hit'"

hsnterprize
07-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Reason #48473 why Rick Morrissey is a really, really good writer: This entire article. I don't mean the topic. I mean the writing itself. It's a quality perspective on the Cubs, and he presents a great argument. The Cubs originally were built for baseball, but something "mutated" along the way. And now, complacency with regard to earnings have completely altered this franchise and team's purpose. It's what we've all wanted the mass media to shout out. Brilliant.That "mutation" Rick talked about was and still is the biggest reason why I cheer for the silver and black. I watched the Cubs a lot when I was a kid back in the 80's. But when the "Harry Caray Show" and all the other "fluff" started coming from the "friendly confines", I got turned off pretty quick. Not to mention, the Sox uni's back in the early to mid 80's were pretty cool too.

Simply put, when the Cubs decided they wanted to be more "show" than "go", I went...to the south side, and I haven't looked back since.

miker
07-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Possible scenarios:
- Morrissey's getting canned and already burning bridges.
- An editor was sleeping.
- Cub-une planted this column to make it look like they're "objective."

This was an eye-opener: sort of between "I can't believe they're admitting it" and "I knew we were right all along!" Morrissey's view has been said for years at WSI and more and more by my friends whose only fault is following the Chicago National League Ball Club.

Now enough northside nonsense and back to focusing on the best-team in baseball...your Chicago White Sox!

Hitmen77
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Here's a few things we might be seeing in the next few days in order to restore some sense of normalcy at the Tower:
Tribune sports section, page 1- Rick Morrisey is on vacation

Next Saturdays sports section, page 2 (letters to the sports editor): Lyle from Lakeview, Skip from Glencoe, and Chad from Lincoln Park will write in informing us that that article was a slap in the face. All Cub fans are the best fans in the world, true die hards. It's the Sox fans who are dumb, because no one goes to the games and the park is in a dangerous neighborhood.

Oh, that is so true! The Trib always follows up a story like this by printing a bunch of pro-Cub letters.

Still, kudos to Morrisey for having the guts to tell the truth. I hope he doesn't have too hard of a time at the Trib's "re-orientation" camp.