PDA

View Full Version : I am surprised that very few people are talking about the MLB.com 1st half analysis.

lostletters
07-17-2005, 12:40 AM
They have Scott Podsednik as the AL MVP. I was shocked by this one alone. It seems like it was coming straight out of the mouth of a White Sox fan.

Cliff Politte as the Setup man of the year (finally recognition for the unsung hero of the White Sox).

Jon Garland for the first half Cy Young (well this is not unexpected, but I would give it to Buehrle).

Of course KW and Ozzie winning Executive and Manager of the year respectively.

I guess it is just normal to complain about ESPN and other national media. But I think this proves that MLB press syndicate is paying attention to the best team in baseball a bit more then everybody else.

Brian26
07-17-2005, 12:53 AM
They have Scott Podsednik as the AL MVP. I was shocked by this one alone. It seems like it was coming straight out of the mouth of a White Sox fan.

Well, I'm a Sox fan, and I wouldn't say Pods was the MVP. I think he was great, but I'm not sure he was the MVP of the Sox let alone the entire league.

fquaye149
07-17-2005, 12:54 AM

Cliff Politte as the Setup man of the year (finally recognition for the unsung hero of the White Sox).

Jon Garland for the first half Cy Young (well this is not unexpected, but I would give it to Buehrle).

Of course KW and Ozzie winning Executive and Manager of the year respectively.

I guess it is just normal to complain about ESPN and other national media. But I think this proves that MLB press syndicate is paying attention to the best team in baseball a bit more then everybody else.

It's nice that they are recognizing us. I really truly appreciate it. However - there is no way Scott is AL MVP.

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying that by some because he has produced a lot to help our team. But the fact is beyond his 40-some stolen bases, he's just not a phenomenal ballplayer. He's great, and a hell of a leadoff hitter...but if you're going to take a leadoff hitter on a first place team, take Johnny Damon. If you're going to take the man who you should take, take Tejada or Vlad.

Without Scott we're not as good. But he's not even the most valuable player on our team. That award would go to one of our three stud pitchers or Frank Thomas (although it's true he hasn't really played enough to qualify for the award.)

Also - Politte is a fine choice for setup man...no reason he shouldn't win EXCEPT Jesse Crain has more wins, no losses (like Cliff) and a microscopic ERA. Another great vulture...perhaps better than Cliff?

I mean, I appreciate positive press...and I know I'm going to get responses on this saying "oh so this is how sox fans are - the media's damned if they do damned if they don't." but I don't see it that way - All we as Sox fans have ever been calling for is INFORMED, unbiased coverage.

Picking Scott (and to a lesser degree Politte) seems to be neither to me

edit: never mind about Politte. I guess I missed his bad outing where he got a loss and raised his ERA about a point and a half

edit #2: in my last edit when I said "he" I meant Crain. I am worthless tonight.

patbooyah
07-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Well, I'm a Sox fan, and I wouldn't say Pods was the MVP. I think he was great, but I'm not sure he was the MVP of the Sox let alone the entire league.

i agree- but he seems to be the embodiment of "small ball," or whatever it is that the media claims we play, and that probably plays into this.

lostletters
07-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Oh I don't agree with Pods being the MVP. I would probably give it to Tejada, Roberts, or Vlad. But it was nice to see. Like I said, I was shocked.

Politte is on the other hand is the set up man of the year. 6-0 with a 1.01 ERA.

While Crain is good, he is 8-1 with a 2.36 ERA. While he is a vulture and damn good, Politte is having a better year.

I just wanted to point out something positive with all the ESPN bitterness.

Chicago83
07-17-2005, 02:02 AM
They must be drinking when they put down Pods as the MVP. You can't rationalize this in any way, if their is an MVP on this team it would be a pitcher and probably Buerhle.

SOXintheBURGH
07-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Hmm.. this is quite interesting.. I wonder if Hangar got a new job..

I remember when Karl Malone won an MVP in 96-97, and I was pissed off. My brother explained to me in this way why he deserved it that year - "Think about it, if Utah didn't have Malone they would be just another lottery team."

Which brings me to a semi-point... MVP = Most Valuable Player.

If Texas had Pods batting lead off, and having the year he is having, would they be in first? - and dominating?

If New York had a guy like Pods, would they be in first? - and dominating?

If San Diego had a guy like Pods, would they be in first? - and dominating?

By contrast - the Chicago North Side Club has a guy tearing apart batting stats.

Scott Podsednik, to me, is the White Sox MOST VALUABLE PLAYER. If Kenny had not pulled off that trade, I don't think the Sox would have 60 wins on July 16th. That makes Scott Podsednik a MOST VALUABLE PLAYER.

DaleJRFan
07-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Anyone who would assert that Frank Thomas is the Sox MVP is out of their mind. The Sox were the best team in Baseball without him and would continue to be if he went down again (God forbid).

Outside of the pitching staff, Podsednik is the clear choice for team MVP. Highest BA, highest OBP, second in runs scored, first in hits, third in doubles, second in walks, and of course, 47 stolen bases...

Frank Thomas may have 11 home runs in 89 at-bats, but in those same 89 at-bats, he also has amassed 25 strikeouts. With that percentage spread over 500 at-bats, comes to 140. That's pretty bad.

On a somewhat unrelated note, of the starters, Joe Crede is second to last in Ks with 41, only AJ has fewer with 34.

downstairs
07-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Anyone who would assert that Frank Thomas is the Sox MVP is out of their mind. The Sox were the best team in Baseball without him and would continue to be if he went down again (God forbid).

That i precisely what makes me excited about this team's chances.

Replace Thomas' name with anyone else's. I belive your comment is still valid.

I don't think this team has an MVP, and that's a good thing.

Garland? Burhle? Pods? Any one of them is gone for the season, I still believe we win the division, and probably have the best record in the AL.

RallyBowl
07-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Hmm.. this is quite interesting.. I wonder if Hangar got a new job..

I remember when Karl Malone won an MVP in 96-97, and I was pissed off. My brother explained to me in this way why he deserved it that year - "Think about it, if Utah didn't have Malone they would be just another lottery team."

Which brings me to a semi-point... MVP = Most Valuable Player.

If Texas had Pods batting lead off, and having the year he is having, would they be in first? - and dominating?

If New York had a guy like Pods, would they be in first? - and dominating?

If San Diego had a guy like Pods, would they be in first? - and dominating?

By contrast - the Chicago North Side Club has a guy tearing apart batting stats.

Scott Podsednik, to me, is the White Sox MOST VALUABLE PLAYER. If Kenny had not pulled off that trade, I don't think the Sox would have 60 wins on July 16th. That makes Scott Podsednik a MOST VALUABLE PLAYER.
You sir, are very intelligent.

fquaye149
07-17-2005, 01:49 PM
That i precisely what makes me excited about this team's chances.

Replace Thomas' name with anyone else's. I belive your comment is still valid.

I don't think this team has an MVP, and that's a good thing.

Garland? Burhle? Pods? Any one of them is gone for the season, I still believe we win the division, and probably have the best record in the AL.

IMO w/o Buehrle or Garland we are not nearly as good and possibly not in 1st. Not only do they account for a massive amount of wins (both at least as many wins as we are games ahead right now) but also they have been HUGE stoppers and have stopped the bleeding every time we started to hint at a bad stretch.

Chips
07-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Mark Buehrle is the MVP of this team. MVP in the American League would have to be Brian Roberts.

The Dude
07-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Mark Buehrle is the MVP of this team. MVP in the American League would have to be Brian Roberts.

Agree that mark is our MVP, but as great of a season as Roberts has had, I dont think hes the MVP of the Orioles because Tejada is.

santo=dorf
07-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Also - Politte is a fine choice for setup man...no reason he shouldn't win EXCEPT Jesse Crain has more wins, no losses (like Cliff) and a microscopic ERA. Another great vulture...perhaps better than Cliff?

I know you already edit it, but when people look at W-L and ERA for comparing relievers, it makes me chuckle.

Politte has been by FAR the best set-up man in the league if not the best reliever (you could argue Rivera) in the entire MLB.

Mike Timlin:
3-1
1.61 ERA
1.24 WHIP
.283 BAA
.710 OPS Against
6.05 K/9
3.00 K/BB
19 inherited runners, 12 have scored for a pathetic 63% of inherited runners scoring.
If this guy wasn't on the Red Sox, he wouldn't be getting talked about at all. :mad:

Jesse Crain:
8-1
2.36 ERA
.97 WHIP
.196 BAA
.532 OPS Against
3.21 K/9
1.25 K/BB
28 inherited runners, 8 have scored; 28% of inherited runners scoring.

Cliff "Cy" Pollite:
6-0
1.01 ERA
.70 WHIP
.144 BAA
.418 OPS Against
8.83 K/9
3.89 K/BB
28 inherited runners, 5 have scored; 17% of inherited runners scoring.

Not too shabby for a guy who took a paycut in the offseason. :cool:

Brian26
07-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Mark Buehrle is the MVP of this team.

Buehrle is my choice for the Sox MVP. He set the tone with his opening day performance. He's the heart and soul of the team.

fquaye149
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I know you already edit it, but when people look at W-L and ERA for comparing relievers, it makes me chuckle.

Politte has been by FAR the best set-up man in the league if not the best reliever (you could argue Rivera) in the entire MLB.

Mike Timlin:
3-1
1.61 ERA
1.24 WHIP
.283 BAA
.710 OPS Against
6.05 K/9
3.00 K/BB
19 inherited runners, 12 have scored for a pathetic 63% of inherited runners scoring.
If this guy wasn't on the Red Sox, he wouldn't be getting talked about at all. :mad:

Jesse Crain:
8-1
2.36 ERA
.97 WHIP
.196 BAA
.532 OPS Against
3.21 K/9
1.25 K/BB
28 inherited runners, 8 have scored; 28% of inherited runners scoring.

Cliff "Cy" Pollite:
6-0
1.01 ERA
.70 WHIP
.144 BAA
.418 OPS Against
8.83 K/9
3.89 K/BB
28 inherited runners, 5 have scored; 17% of inherited runners scoring.

Not too shabby for a guy who took a paycut in the offseason. :cool:

clearly politte is the class of the group. I was just thinking of the time when Crain was at .90 ERA and 7-0....

UofCSoxFan
07-17-2005, 06:04 PM
But the fact is beyond his 40-some stolen bases, he's just not a phenomenal ballplayer.

And McGuire without his 70 homeruns in 1998 is just an average player.

Do you people not realize how big an impact 48 stolen bases is? Not to mention the impact it has via the number of fastballs our hitters see when he is on base?

Most people that have played the game andl see why Pods is the MVP of this team (prob not of the league simply b/c the Sox would still be pretty good without him...the O's for example would be nothing without Tejada). He makes everyone better on a DAILY basis and embodies the Offensive philosophy of Ozzieball.

fquaye149
07-17-2005, 06:13 PM
And McGuire without his 70 homeruns in 1998 is just an average player.

Do you people not realize how big an impact 48 stolen bases is? Not to mention the impact it has via the number of fastballs our hitters see when he is on base?

Most people that have played the game andl see why Pods is the MVP of this team (prob not of the league simply b/c the Sox would still be pretty good without him...the O's for example would be nothing without Tejada). He makes everyone better on a DAILY basis and embodies the Offensive philosophy of Ozzieball.

My goodness. I'll be the first to say that the stolen bases impact the game.

But so does Iguchi's expert-2-spot hitting
Crede's defense
Pierzynski's jawing at the other hitters and working the umpires
Dye's throwing arm.

And above all else: OUR PITCHING STAFF, especially Buehrle and Garland

Obviously Scott's a great hitter...but it's nowhere near comparable to McGuire(sic)'s 70 HR and I think deep in your heart you know it's true.