PDA

View Full Version : This Old Cub TV Broadcast Premier Ch 9

Wsoxmike59
07-17-2005, 12:05 AM
https://www.thisoldcub.com/

WGN aired the Ron Santo documentary This Old Cub tonight from 7-9, and speaking as a lifelong Chicagoan if you weren't moved by the Ron Santo saga, then you just may be in need of a visit to the Wizard of Oz for a heart!

Jeff Santo did an outstanding job telling Ron's life story using some excellent old highlight clips, photographs, and interviews with both ex-players and former teammates and just about everybody that Ron Santo has touched along the way.

Chicago has been home to many a courageous and inspirational athlete, i.e. Brian Piccolo, Walter Payton, Monty Stratton, Bob Love, Michael Jordan, Carlos May, Jackie Hayes, Jim Abbott, Darrin and Bo Jackson to name a few, but I think you'd have to put Ron Santo at the top of that list nowadays.

No one person has overcome more adversity and health problems than Ron has, and IMO he stands out as one of the most inspirational people on the planet today.

Ron Santo spells out courage 24 hours a day-7 days a week and I walked away after watching the documentary even more impressed in what the old 3B'man has accomplished the past few years, just to stay on the job.

God Bless you Ron, and may you one day get your just reward with an enshrinement in to Baseball's Hallowed Hall in Cooperstown.

soltrain21
07-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Teal?

The guy is an *******.

slavko
07-17-2005, 12:39 AM
I think what is needed at this time is a post by long-time WSCR caller "South Side Rocco", who at the mention of Santo's name would spew out a litany of Italian insults.

HebrewHammer
07-17-2005, 12:59 AM

WGN aired the Ron Santo documentary This Old Cub tonight from 7-9, and speaking as a lifelong Chicagoan if you weren't moved by the Ron Santo saga, then you just may be in need of a visit to the Wizard of Oz for a heart!

Jeff Santo did an outstanding job telling Ron's life story using some excellent old highlight clips, photographs, and interviews with both ex-players and former teammates and just about everybody that Ron Santo has touched along the way.

Chicago has been home to many a courageous and inspirational athlete, i.e. Brian Piccolo, Walter Payton, Monty Stratton, Bob Love, Michael Jordan, Carlos May, Jackie Hayes, Jim Abbott, Darrin and Bo Jackson to name a few, but I think you'd have to put Ron Santo at the top of that list nowadays.

No one person has overcome more adversity and health problems than Ron has, and IMO he stands out as one of the most inspirational people on the planet today.

Ron Santo spells out courage 24 hours a day-7 days a week and I walked away after watching the documentary even more impressed in what the old 3B'man has accomplished the past few years, just to stay on the job.

God Bless you Ron, and may you one day get your just reward with an enshrinement in to Baseball's Hallowed Hall in Cooperstown.

:chunks

You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

chuckn98229
07-17-2005, 01:28 AM
how much did he get paid to write such drivel?

Irishsox1
07-17-2005, 01:31 AM
The show failed to mention Santo's notorious drug intake.

havelj
07-17-2005, 02:09 AM

Don't compare Piccolo and Payton to Ronny's issues. Those guys did it while they played or a few years after and died. Poor Walter - rest in peace with your ring. Ronny - you are from a losing, crappy franchise. Go click your heels on that.

Mr. White Sox
07-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Don't compare Piccolo and Payton to Ronny's issues. Those guys did it while they played or a few years after and died. Poor Walter - rest in peace with your ring. Ronny - you are from a losing, crappy franchise. Go click your heals on that.

It's "heels". Sorry, I just had to say that. It was bothering me. As for the doc...I haven't seen it yet, but I taped it and am contemplating watching it sometime. It could be interesting, as I always love old highlight reels.

TheOldRoman
07-17-2005, 02:18 AM
I second the vomitting pic.

I didn't watch the documentary, so obviously I don't know the whole story about Santo. I don't know what "adversity" he faced. I don't know what in particular was inspiring to you. One of the most inspirational people on the planet? That is a joke, right? No one person has overcome more health problems than Santo? That is insane.

If you would like to tell us about all these health problems, go ahead. If you would like to tell us what in particular is inspiring about a yammering buffoon who is only on the radio because of a mindless sheep fanbase who demands "loveability" over performance, go ahead. He had both of his legs amputated, and obviously it's a horrible thing. However, he brought it upon himself. He was diagnosed with diabetes at age 18. The worst thing possible for diabetes is liquor. He went on to rival Mickey Mantle. Not on the field, but in bar room prowess. He doesn't deserve what happened to him, nobody does. However, I am hardly moved hearing about his problems when he himself only acted to greatly further them. If Santo wasn't a booze hound when he was young, he would likely still have his legs. If the movie was done as a motivational tool to say "Boys and girls, I messed up. Don't ever drink if you have diabetes. Don't make mistakes I did", I would respect it. However, this sob story was created just to draw attention to Santo, tell people how great he was, and convince them that his health problems are so horrible that he deserves to go into the hall of fame.

I wish Mr. Santo nothing but luck and great health. I hope he lives a long and happy life. However, I do not feel sorry for him. His story isn't inspirational, and he would not be on the top twenty list of courageous athletes in Chicago history. Many many more people have overcome more health problems than Santo, and furthermore, there is nothing special about Santo. The Cubs fanbase loves him because he is a loser, and is part of their losing tradition. If he were a former Sox player (which he is, but I mean one who didn't play for the Cubs) we wouldn't know a thing about his diabetes or any other health problems. He would have faded into obscurity. Besides being an alcoholic, he was a huge A**hole (which is why his Sox teammates hated him). There is nothing inspirational about his story. People with much worse and much more inspirational problems don't get their stories told because they aren't "loveable losers".

PeteWard
07-17-2005, 02:34 AM
I remember back in 74 when Santo was traded to the Sox that my brother, a lifelong Sox fanatic said "If the Sox were in the the bottom of the ninth, Game 7 of the World Series, down one, bases loaded, two outs and Santo at the plate: I'd want him to strike out". That's pretty visceral loathing there.

I remember him being a complete self-absorbed jerk as a player. Did the movie portray the way he publicly mauled team-mate Don Young for his crucial error during the '69 swoon? I suspect not. Santo went from his ritual post-win heel clicking to moaning, blaming and sulking. And yes, his team-mates disliked him on both sides of town.

Yeah, too bad he was sick, but there are enough nice people out there who aare even worse off.

LuvSox
07-17-2005, 07:57 AM
It's a "Santo for the Hall Of Fame" propaganda film, nothing more. Shameless.

slavko
07-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Right to the point, right on target. I remember when Valentin hit a couple of homers against the Cubs and did a little mock out of Sammy by tapping his chest and blowing kisses to the crowd and the heel clicker was in the booth telling the people "there's no place for that in baseball." What a doofus!

chaerulez
07-17-2005, 08:55 AM
It's really sad to see a person actively campaign for a hall of fame position using his broadcasting job.

Ron you were a borderline hall of famer at best...

The Critic
07-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Exactly. That movie should have been titled, Please Vote This Old Cub Into The Hall Of Fame Before He Dies.
I watched as much as I could take of it, which wasn't much...about 10 minutes.
It's a nice gift from a son to a father, but it's a bit too much if you ask me.

Hitmen77
07-17-2005, 08:59 AM

......God Bless you Ron, and may you one day get your just reward with an enshrinement in to Baseball's Hallowed Hall in Cooperstown.

I think we need to call in some teal police reinforcements here. Please tell me that you were being sarcactic. The tipoff is your mentioning of Darrin Jackson as inspriational.

:tealpolice: :tealpolice: :tealpolice:

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I think we need to call in some teal police reinforcements here. Please tell me that you were being sarcactic. The tipoff is your mentioning of Darrin Jackson as inspriational.

Just because he had less talent in his sport to begin with than Lance Armstrong doesn't mean his story of surviving cancer and putting together a decent major league career less inspirational to me. If John Kruk were less obnoxious, I'd probably say the same about him.

Hitmen77
07-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Just because he had less talent in his sport to begin with than Lance Armstrong doesn't mean his story of surviving cancer and putting together a decent major league career less inspirational to me.

That may be true, but it still sounds to me like the starter of this thread meant his text to be teal. Darrin Jackson overcoming adversity? :?: Santo deserves enshrinement in the HOF? But maybe I'm wrong - he'll have to clarify.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2005, 10:29 AM
It's a fact Santo was the divisive personality in the '69 Flubbie clubhouse that turned rookie centerfielder Don Young into a basket case.

It is also a fact Santo was the divisive personality in the '74 Sox clubhouse that turned near-rookie secondbasemen Jorge Orta into a basket case. He was called out by Dick Allen on this very point.

It's a fact Ron Santo took a contending '69 team and turned them into a 92-win second-place joke, and a contending '74 team and turned them into an 80-win fourth-place joke. And those were Santo's good years!

:o:

The Cubune can spin the facts all they want. This guy was the consummate loser. He made everything around him worse. And no teary-eyed whitewash job by the spinmeisters at Cubune Tower can change it... though I'm sure their legion of obiedient sheep will believe every word of it. They just love those Cubbies...

Induct Santo into the Diabetics' Hall of Fame. His story battling that awful disease is inspirational. But the Baseball Hall of Fame? You've got to be joking...

chitownhawkfan
07-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Of course Santo should be in the hall he is a career .277 hitter which puts him among the greats like Bobby Bo and Jeff Blauser. LOL this is a great thread thanks to WSoxMike for making me laugh coming off a rough bender. And to the man that said this "I remember back in 74 when Santo was traded to the Sox that my brother, a lifelong Sox fanatic said "If the Sox were in the the bottom of the ninth, Game 7 of the World Series, down one, bases loaded, two outs and Santo at the plate: I'd want him to strike out" What a great line. I havent laughed harder in a long time.

http://www.espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/0606/photo/holdenbridge_i.jpg
Of course Ronny should be in the Hall, I should know, I just "walked" all the way from Arizona but I'm still an obese pig.

Hitmen77
07-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Of course Santo should be in the hall he is a career .277 hitter which puts him among the greats like Bobby Bo and Jeff Blauser.

Yeah, he may have only hit .277, but he was on the Cubs! You have to give some weight to the fact that he played on such a premier franchise with their history of being involved in so many post-season games!

BigEdWalsh
07-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Ooooooh NOOOoooooo!!

I missed it. When will it be on again, so I can make sure to miss it again?
Actually it sounds like a great premise for a TV show. This Old Cub....hmmmm.
They could do weekly features on Cub greats and er....not so greats of the past. Whatever happened to ol' Mordeci Brown? Don Young?? What's Cap Anson doing these days??

SoxFan76
07-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Ron Santo can kiss my ass. Right after his leg was amputated, he had a fake and was walking around and golfing. My grandpa had his leg amputated due to gangrene and he HATED Santo for that. All the doctors told him was that he couldn't get a fake leg, and he was in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Now Santo is still golfing and walking around while my Grandpa died 4 years ago in a wheelchair.

edit, he had diabetes as well...forgot to mention that.

skobabe8
07-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Thank you. Theres a reason you're not in the Hall, Ron. YOU WERENT GOOD ENOUGH!

RallyBowl
07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
This thread is cracking me up. What can I say that hasn't been said already? You guys are all typical south side white sox garbage for saying all those nasty things about a legend like Ron. You are all jealous that he played his whole career for the cubs and you never got a chance to experience his greatness.
What can I say that has been said already? RON SANTO CAN KISS MY ASS.

SOXPHILE
07-17-2005, 05:38 PM
All these mean things you guys are saying about Ron Santo are.....ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON TARGET. Yes, we all know he had and played with diabetes, and he had both legs amputated. O.K. Sorry about that, you don't deserve that. Otherwise, the guy was and still is, a jerk, a hypocrite, a showboating blowhard, a crybaby, and an absolute buffoon. He was hated by his own teamates. When in either his 20's or 30's tried to pick a fight with a 70 something Leo Durocher. (Yeah Ron, your a real man's man). The whole Don Young incident (on a side note- when Santo commited a costly error a few days later, he was asked about it, and how he berated Don Young for the same thing. His response was "hey, I'm only human"). His heel clicking was a hot-dogging show up your opponent thing that you just didn't see back then, and ALOT of people took exception to it, both opponents, and teamates. In fact, Mets manager Gil Hodges called him 'bush league', among a few other things, and that actually bothered Santo. He let it get to him and affect his play, like the 'bush leaguer' he was. The Tribune Corp. sells him off as this sweet, lovely old man who used to play for the Cubs. Gosh darn it, he just wants to see them win, and golly gee whiz, he should be in the Hall of Fame too. Unfortunatly, the Sheep slurp it right up and swallow it whole. Don't believe it. Don't believe it when they have Banks, and Williams, and Hundley appear with him in a broadcast or an event, and it looks like they are just a bunch of happy ex-Cubs who used to play together, and loved each other like brothers. A few years ago, he owned a restaurant near me in Schaumburg called "Ron Santo's Roasters". The T.V. commercial had him in it talking about the place, the food, etc. Under his talking head, the words Ron Santo appeared. Underneath them, Future Hall of Famer. Getting a little ahead of and full of yourself Ron ? Surprisingly, I didn't, nor will I ever, watch that sugar coated piece of crap movie. I'm too busy watching another game by the "other" team in Chicago. You know, the one where fans go to watch the game, don't need to have an unemployed, homeless half-wit as the unnofficial mascot, and certainly wouldn't want a whiny, crabby, syrupy announcer with a piece of road kill for a hairpiece read another fax from Esther in Park Ridge telling him how great he is, and should be in the Hall of Fame. That would be the team with the best record in baseball, the White Sox. Ever heard of them Ron ? You should, because you'll never live long enough to see your precious Cubs win a World Series, but this year, you might see the Sox do it. Take off your hairpiece and click your heels to that.

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 06:01 PM
All these mean things you guys are saying about Ron Santo are.....ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON TARGET. Yes, we all know he had and played with diabetes, and he had both legs amputated. O.K. Sorry about that, you don't deserve that. Otherwise, the guy was and still is, a jerk, a hypocrite, a showboating blowhard, a crybaby, and an absolute buffoon. He was hated by his own teamates. When in either his 20's or 30's tried to pick a fight with a 70 something Leo Durocher. (Yeah Ron, your a real man's man). The whole Don Young incident (on a side note- when Santo commited a costly error a few days later, he was asked about it, and how he berated Don Young for the same thing. His response was "hey, I'm only human"). His heel clicking was a hot-dogging show up your opponent thing that you just didn't see back then, and ALOT of people took exception to it, both opponents, and teamates. In fact, Mets manager Gil Hodges called him 'bush league', among a few other things, and that actually bothered Santo. He let it get to him and affect his play, like the 'bush leaguer' he was. The Tribune Corp. sells him off as this sweet, lovely old man who used to play for the Cubs. Gosh darn it, he just wants to see them win, and golly gee whiz, he should be in the Hall of Fame too. Unfortunatly, the Sheep slurp it right up and swallow it whole. Don't believe it. Don't believe it when they have Banks, and Williams, and Hundley appear with him in a broadcast or an event, and it looks like they are just a bunch of happy ex-Cubs who used to play together, and loved each other like brothers. A few years ago, he owned a restaurant near me in Schaumburg called "Ron Santo's Roasters". The T.V. commercial had him in it talking about the place, the food, etc. Under his talking head, the words Ron Santo appeared. Underneath them, Future Hall of Famer. Getting a little ahead of and full of yourself Ron ? Surprisingly, I didn't, nor will I ever, watch that sugar coated piece of crap movie. I'm too busy watching another game by the "other" team in Chicago. You know, the one where fans go to watch the game, don't need to have an unemployed, homeless half-wit as the unnofficial mascot, and certainly wouldn't want a whiny, crabby, syrupy announcer with a piece of road kill for a hairpiece read another fax from Esther in Park Ridge telling him how great he is, and should be in the Hall of Fame. That would be the team with the best record in baseball, the White Sox. Ever heard of them Ron ? You should, because you'll never live long enough to see your precious Cubs win a World Series, but this year, you might see the Sox do it. Take off your hairpiece and click your heels to that.

Phile, tell us how you really feel. I think one of the funniest things I heard in the past year was a commercial that described Santo as a life-long Cub. I'm sure he'd like to forget his year on the south side, which he actually forced on the Cubs as one of the first players a team wanted to trade under the 10/5 rule. He refused to be traded to any team other than the Sox and then was a disruptive force when he got there.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Hal:

The Cubs wanted to trade Santo to the Angels and he refused to allow it. As you stated he then said the only team he'd go to was the Sox. Instead of waiting to probably get him on waivers, the Sox decided to deal Steve Stone, Ken Frailing and Steve Swisher for him.

None of those guys were earth shattering (although Stone would return and have a good year in 77) but the point is the Sox didn't need Santo and probably could have gotten him for 'nothing' via waivers.

Santo was acquired for one reason only as then Sox ticket manager Millie Johnson...stated 'Ronnie honey, you're going to sell a lot of tickets for us this year!'

Blah....

Lip

robertks61
07-17-2005, 06:27 PM
One of the funnier threads I've ever read, keep it up guys!!

veeter
07-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Just another example that the cubz sold their soles to the devil. They are pathetic.

TomC727
07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I second the vomitting pic.

I didn't watch the documentary, so obviously I don't know the whole story about Santo. I don't know what "adversity" he faced. I don't know what in particular was inspiring to you. One of the most inspirational people on the planet? That is a joke, right? No one person has overcome more health problems than Santo? That is insane.

If you would like to tell us about all these health problems, go ahead. If you would like to tell us what in particular is inspiring about a yammering buffoon who is only on the radio because of a mindless sheep fanbase who demands "loveability" over performance, go ahead. He had both of his legs amputated, and obviously it's a horrible thing. However, he brought it upon himself. He was diagnosed with diabetes at age 18. The worst thing possible for diabetes is liquor. He went on to rival Mickey Mantle. Not on the field, but in bar room prowess. He doesn't deserve what happened to him, nobody does. However, I am hardly moved hearing about his problems when he himself only acted to greatly further them. If Santo wasn't a booze hound when he was young, he would likely still have his legs. If the movie was done as a motivational tool to say "Boys and girls, I messed up. Don't ever drink if you have diabetes. Don't make mistakes I did", I would respect it. However, this sob story was created just to draw attention to Santo, tell people how great he was, and convince them that his health problems are so horrible that he deserves to go into the hall of fame.

I wish Mr. Santo nothing but luck and great health. I hope he lives a long and happy life. However, I do not feel sorry for him. His story isn't inspirational, and he would not be on the top twenty list of courageous athletes in Chicago history. Many many more people have overcome more health problems than Santo, and furthermore, there is nothing special about Santo. The Cubs fanbase loves him because he is a loser, and is part of their losing tradition. If he were a former Sox player (which he is, but I mean one who didn't play for the Cubs) we wouldn't know a thing about his diabetes or any other health problems. He would have faded into obscurity. Besides being an alcoholic, he was a huge A**hole (which is why his Sox teammates hated him). There is nothing inspirational about his story. People with much worse and much more inspirational problems don't get their stories told because they aren't "loveable losers".

Awesome Post. I hate Santo. Him and his whinings.

skobabe8
07-17-2005, 08:22 PM

GREAT post.

fquaye149
07-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Just another example that the cubz sold their soles to the devil. They are pathetic.

If the Cubs all sold their "soles" to the devil, how will "Jesus" Prior walk on water?

Vernam
07-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Lord, seeing this thread today almost makes me regret being out of town when it started (a vacation that included being at the Jake to see Buerhle beat the Tribe, even). I'd Tivoed "This Old Cub," fortunately, and watched it earlier today. Within minutes I was LMAO, telling my wife there's a WSIer named "Santo=Dorf." At first she said that's in bad taste, but halfway through the movie she was howling louder than I was. :D: It was an inept bit of propaganda, focusing very briefly on his accomplishments and dwelling instead on the '69 season and the amputations. The endless shots of his amputations! I'd expected one or two, but geez, like the last hour of the movie was about the wounds. Whatever sympathy I had was gone by the time his phone call came in, denying him entry to the HoF.

One adjective sticks in my head: "Maudlin." Santo is perfectly maudlin, and perfect for the Cubs because their fans are such a self-pitying lot. I'm old enough to confirm the earlier posts about Santo having been central to the '69 choke job. It's fitting that those heel clicks probably kept a few old-timers from voting for him, because it was plain undignified. The Don Young story is real, and it precipitated the team's meltdown. I waited for some mention of it in the movie but, no, that would have been too honest.

VC

MUsoxfan
07-18-2005, 02:36 AM
I'm the foremost Santo hater in the universe (note my profile since I started here on WSI). I watched that film for the simple reason I thought I might hate him less. I hate him more than ever. Nothing like a 2 hour petition to get into the HOF. I want him to die after he knows he'll never get in.

downstairs
07-18-2005, 07:36 AM
You know, the one thing I love about Sox fans... maybe more so than any other team, our fan base is honest. We're honest about others, and our own.

When DJ sucks, we call him out on it. Even Hawk at times. Players, managers, mascots, whatever.

Cubs fans are the exact opposite. I have yet to hear one of them call out Ron Santo for what he is. No one disagrees with him, no one doesn't love him.

He is a self-promoter, and he's lucky to have the ear of the most sheep-like audience in sports (Cubs fans.) Beyond his self-promotion, he's nothing. He doesn't exist.

Diabetes? Lost his legs? Just like obesity, It doesn't happen unless you aren't taking care of yourself. Don't make a cause out of your own stuidity, as you're just excusing it for others.

Vernam
07-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Diabetes? Lost his legs? Just like obesity, It doesn't happen unless you aren't taking care of yourself. Don't make a cause out of your own stuidity, as you're just excusing it for others.

Oh! I forgot to mention that, in one scene where Santo's in the hospital cafeteria awaiting treatment, he's got a big tray of food in front of him that includes a big slice of pie! They don't show him eating it, but still . . .

But re: whether diabetes happens only because you don't take care of yourself, the juvenile kind (which he evidently had) doesn't result from bad behavior.

VC

downstairs
07-18-2005, 08:42 AM
But re: whether diabetes happens only because you don't take care of yourself, the juvenile kind (which he evidently had) doesn't result from bad behavior.
VC

Of course. I don't mean to offend anyone with a generalization.

Santo, like many others- but not *everyone*- with diabetes, has the somewhat preventable kind.

Hey, it sucks. I do dangerous things too, like many people.

But if I get hurt or a disease as a result of my own stupid behavior, I don't expect to have a documentary on it.

bennyw41
07-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Ron Santo killed my dog. He sucked his soul out with his fangs.

Hangar18
07-18-2005, 09:05 AM
I remember him being a complete self-absorbed jerk as a player. Did the movie portray the way he publicly mauled team-mate Don Young for his crucial error during the '69 swoon? I suspect not. Santo went from his ritual post-win heel clicking to moaning, blaming and sulking. And yes, his team-mates disliked him on both sides of town.

Yeah, too bad he was sick, but there are enough nice people out there who aare even worse off.

This sums up what I was going to say ...............mind you, ive only heard
the same things here and there over looooooong period of time. Santo wasnt a nice guy......... But hey, hes a CUB and thats all OK isnt it?
I do feel for the guy battling the disease and having to overcome alot ......
dont get me wrong .....i'll say congrats and keep fighting. Buts hes
still one of the worst Announcers ive seen in YEARS ..........and I suspect this
movie and the subsequent HYPE is nothing more than another shameless attempt by the Cubs to get him in the hall of fame, a place he doesnt deserve to be in. Shame on Ronny and the Cubune for milking this to his advantage

Baby Fisk
07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
You know, the one thing I love about Sox fans... maybe more so than any other team, our fan base is honest. We're honest about others, and our own.

When DJ sucks, we call him out on it. Even Hawk at times. Players, managers, mascots, whatever.

Cubs fans are the exact opposite. I have yet to hear one of them call out Ron Santo for what he is. No one disagrees with him, no one doesn't love him.

Good contrast. :nod:

US: Realistic
THEM: Delusional

PatK
07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey now, Darrin Jackson overcame Tourrette's Syndrome to be able to play baseball and become a broadcaster.

Santo got diagnosed with a disease and went and did one of the worst things you could do- be a big drinker.

jdm2662
07-18-2005, 10:38 AM

He is a self-promoter, and he's lucky to have the ear of the most sheep-like audience in sports (Cubs fans.) Beyond his self-promotion, he's nothing. He doesn't exist.

Actually, I've got a friend that's the biggest Cub fan/Sox hater I know. He can't stand Santo more than anyone I know. He usually listens to the Sox game over the Cubs because Santo is so awful. Every time we are at a bar and the game is in, I always point to Santo when he's on. My friend follows it up with many F bombs...

I was not around for Santo's playing career, so I don't have any comments about it. I can only comment on his broadcasting (and my God, does he suck!). My father grew up a Sox fan, and his favorite player of all time was Ron Santo. He had to been good on the field. He was always talking about how great player he was, and that it was a sham that he wasn't in the hall. He never did say he was a great guy though. I'm sure not being liked too much didn't help his chances on getting voted in. However, I do agree that the self-promotion is rather shameless. It got old with Pete Rose a long time ago. I do wish Santo best of luck on his continue fight with his health problems.
________
Blowjob cumshot (http://www.****tube.com/categories/337/cumshot/videos/1)

Tekijawa
07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Beware of this show! It made a 60 something man with no cartilage in his knees to Walk thousands of miles and not watch television for months! I can't imagine the effects it might have on healthy young Sox fans!

MM2112
07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/0606/photo/holdenbridge_i.jpg
Of course Ronny should be in the Hall, I should know, I just "walked" all the way from Arizona but I'm still an obese pig.

HOLEEE CHRIST!! I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did after reading that "quote"!!!! :roflmao:

Where I work, it's all Cub fans, and we used to have to listen to the games over the work radio...and I seriously used to rip on Santo INCESSANTLY. My favorites were when he would cut off Pat Hughes in order to read a fax from some 80-yr-old bag from Iowa regarding how she listens to all the Cub games with her 19 cats, usually goes like this:

Hughes: "Well, there's a swing and a ground ball to seco.."
Santo: "AAAHHHH......got a FAX...from...uhhhhh.....(wheez)...Dorothy...umm..C ampbell from Davenport.....YeeeaaaHH Umm, she said she loves listening to us with her cats Ernie, Ryno, Harry and Ronnie...AWWWW...thanks...that's really great (clearing phlegm into mic loudly)

Oh yeah, and if you want to start that "This Old Cub" show, Jerome Walton works at my local Starbucks, along with Earl Cunningham and soon, Corey Patterson. Gotta love those "Five-tool players" the Cubs draft!

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey now, Darrin Jackson overcame Tourrette's Syndrome to be able to play baseball and become a broadcaster.

Santo got diagnosed with a disease and went and did one of the worst things you could do- be a big drinker.

Well I think this can only mean one thing. Time to start the DJ4HOF campaign. Santo is clearly a Hall of Famer and he batted .277, DJ was fairly close to him with a .257 career average. I can find some Columbia art student to make some sappy documentary about how DJ used to swear as a kid, but now talks like hes high. I say, lets get the ball rolling on pushing for our DJ to make the Hall.

:DJ
Sounds good to me!

miker
07-18-2005, 01:08 PM

Is that true about DJ? The only major leaguer I remember hearing about having TS was Jim Eisenreich.

Also, if I was with the Cubs, I'd be a big drinker too!

VeeckAsInWreck
07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
The only major leaguer I remember hearing about having TS was Jim Eisenreich.

During the '93 season sensitive and caring teammate John Kruk gave him the nickname "Dahmer".

As far as Mr. Santo is concerned. I have no pity for him. I am 27 and was recently diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. If I were to drink myself silly for the next 30 years would I get pity because my legs had to be amputated? Of course not, and neither should you Ron.

TommyJohn
07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
During the '93 season sensitive and caring teammate John Kruk gave him the nickname "Dahmer".

That is the reason that I think that Kruk is a lowlife.

gaelhound
07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Hal:

The Cubs wanted to trade Santo to the Angels and he refused to allow it. As you stated he then said the only team he'd go to was the Sox. Instead of waiting to probably get him on waivers, the Sox decided to deal Steve Stone, Ken Frailing and Steve Swisher for him.

None of those guys were earth shattering (although Stone would return and have a good year in 77) but the point is the Sox didn't need Santo and probably could have gotten him for 'nothing' via waivers.

Santo was acquired for one reason only as then Sox ticket manager Millie Johnson...stated 'Ronnie honey, you're going to sell a lot of tickets for us this year!'

Blah....

LipAm I the only one who recalls a Saturday night seat cushion night when Santo made an error at second and the placed rained these red& white seat cushions? The next day my dad and I were on our way to McCuddy's and Millie stepped out of the office doors on 35th street, my old man about died when I asked Millie when was she going to plan a frisbee night!:wink: