PDA

View Full Version : What Sox really need

KyWhiSoxFan
07-16-2005, 10:22 PM
While everyone is going ape over trade rumors and wanting guys like AJ Burnett, the Sox needs are fairly simple:
1) Another left-hander in the bullpen and 2) a third baseman.

If Crede is not able to play at 100%, an iffy proposition to be sure for three more months with a bad back, then KW is not doing his job if he does not get someone able to play third or short (and move Uribe to third). That should be the priority right now. Osuna is not the solution long term.

They also need another left-hander, as the A's series showed. Yes, we were missing Marte in that series, but when you get into the playoffs, you need a balanced bullpen and more than just Marte and Cotts coming in throwing from the left side (and what if one of those guys gets hurt).

I don't want to hear any more about the Sox needing a starting pitcher. They don't need another starting pitcher or need to swap starting pitchers with anyone. That is not a weakness for this team by any stretch of the imagination. Stop this Burnett and Schmidt talk. All a trade like that would do is deplete the farm system and add nothing of substance for the regular season.

gr8mexico
07-16-2005, 10:37 PM
People should stop saying that Joe needs to go.He is a future Gold Glover.The player they might consider is Rafael Furcal he is having a down year but is still good.The guy can steal and has a good glove.Juan can be the super utility guy and we can finally say good bye to Willie.

PAPChiSox729
07-16-2005, 11:34 PM
People should stop saying that Joe needs to go.He is a future Gold Glover.The player they might consider is Rafael Furcal he is having a down year but is still good.The guy can steal and has a good glove.Juan can be the super utility guy and we can finally say good bye to Willie.

The Braves are already in serious contention for the NL East and with the returns of Hudson, Hampton, and Thompson, they will be in strong contention for the NL pennant. Considering this, it would seem to be very unlikely that they trade their leadoff hitter and starting SS. Also, they already have a very solid 2B in Marcus Giles, so I don't think they would want Willie.

Can't blame you for dreamin' though.

:cool:

MeanFish
07-17-2005, 05:59 AM
The Sox don't *need* anything. There are a few spots where we could maybe benefit from improvement for the stretch run, but there isn't a guy out there right now who's going to magically disintegrate our lead by sucking a lot. Depending on Crede's back, we might need an extra guy on the left side of the infield, though it would seem that Pablo might be fine there if it's not an everyday problem.

We especially don't need to take on any large contracts for players who are worse than some more inexpensive ones we might have.

Aubrey Huff and Mike Lowell are in no way better than Pablo Ozuna except for power, which we really don't need that much at the bottom of the order.

Don't confuse the benefits of a rock-solid #5 pitcher with a need. We don't need a better #5 than even McCarthy. We can get to the playoffs with him and El Duque, and once we get there we have an absolutely nasty playoff rotation, which not one guy available on the market would even be able to crack.

It would be nice to have a good long relief pitcher who can eat innings in case of a bad outing. But we can do this thing without that.

Fredsox
07-17-2005, 06:59 AM
I'll agree that the starting pitching, assuming we stay healthy, is good enough right now. The D-Backs proved that you can win a WS with 2 front-line guys but I'm more confortable with 3. I look to the Cubans to stay steady enough where we do not lose home field advantage in the playoffs.

Right now the offense goes as Pods & Iguchi go. That's great but I'd love to see an increase in hitting in the bottom third of the order without sacrificing our defense. By this vague statement I mean if we're going to upgrade at 3rd or SS to gain more consistent offense I don't want to give up the defense we have now.

I could see us picking up a solid middle reliever as well. My confidence in Shingo and Vizcaino is not supreme. This, like the other areas, is not glaring as we can move one or both of the Cubans into long relief during this post-season if its necessary.

We're not in bad shape folks, not bad at all.

chisoxfan64
07-17-2005, 07:01 AM
I think KW should put Ozzie, Harold, Joey, Greg and the Rock on the active roster, just incase.:cool:

A_ROW33
07-17-2005, 01:15 PM
The Braves are already in serious contention for the NL East and with the returns of Hudson, Hampton, and Thompson, they will be in strong contention for the NL pennant. Considering this, it would seem to be very unlikely that they trade their leadoff hitter and starting SS. Also, they already have a very solid 2B in Marcus Giles, so I don't think they would want Willie.

Can't blame you for dreamin' though.

:cool:

An interesting thought entered my mind since you did not mention Chipper Jones as one of the guys coming back for the braves, The Braves who have been winning without chipper trade him to the sox for Marte, Shingo and Jenks to help their bullpen which has been their achiles heel all year