PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Yankees sign Leiter

Bisco Stu
07-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Wish the Sox had signed him. Minus his right-wing proclivities, Leiter's a stand up guy with postseason experience and success.

beckett21
07-16-2005, 03:22 PM
He should fit right in with the Yankees and the rest of their broken-down old war horses. :redneck

ilsox7
07-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Wish the Sox had signed him. Minus his right-wing proclivities, Leiter's a stand up guy with postseason experience and success.

First of all, Hello ****house. Second, he sucks. Bad.

JermaineDye05
07-16-2005, 03:28 PM
the yanks actually dealt kevin brown for him, thats weird, i didnt think theyd actually give up a pitcher for him

shoota
07-16-2005, 03:28 PM

That's what makes him a stand up guy.

The Racehorse
07-16-2005, 03:31 PM
The Yankmees can have him.

ilsox7
07-16-2005, 03:31 PM
the yanks actually dealt kevin brown for him, thats weird, i didnt think theyd actually give up a pitcher for him

What are you talking about? All reports I have seen say a low level minor leaguer and cash.

JermaineDye05
07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
i heard them say it on fox, i musta misheard them

Rocklive99
07-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I disagree, very happy this guy did not sign with us, put a fork in him, he's done

SOXfnNlansing
07-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Wish the Sox had signed him. Minus his right-wing proclivities, Leiter's a stand up guy with postseason experience and success. He's a stand up guy because he works hard and is a family man and he loves our country

The Racehorse
07-16-2005, 04:00 PM
He's a stand up guy because he works hard and is a family man and he loves our country
:?: :thud:

SOXSINCE'70
07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
:whocares
To quote an earlier post,"he's done".

samram
07-16-2005, 04:05 PM
The point here, aside from the political what-not, is that the Yankees are really desperate, which makes me so very, very happy. Manny Ramirez is the happiest guy in America right now.

doublem23
07-16-2005, 04:55 PM
I could care less about his political leanings, there are 6 guys on this team I'd start before Leiter.

Should have gone to Minnesota. They're making a run at the 2002 World Series. :rolleyes:

PAPChiSox729
07-16-2005, 05:24 PM
The point here, aside from the political what-not, is that the Yankees are really desperate, which makes me so very, very happy. Manny Ramirez is the happiest guy in America right now.

Yeah, I really hope this signing isn't scaring anyone. The Yanks are pretty much finished. Al Leiter isn't that good either.

ilsox7
07-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I really hope this signing isn't scaring anyone. The Yanks are pretty much finished. Al Leiter isn't that good either.

You may want to take a look at the standings if you think the Yankees are finished.

Pasqua's Posers
07-16-2005, 05:58 PM

your location gives away your ignorance...there's a reason they call it the 'right'

doublem23
You may want to take a look at the standings if you think the Yankees are finished.

You may want to take a look at their pitching staff before you say they're not. :cool:

MeanFish

Well, with six games left to play against them, I'd venture to say we've got a say in whether they're finished or not ;)

This is one steak I'd like ordered "well-done" if we can help it.

Foulke You
07-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I really didn't want any part of Leiter for the Sox. From what I've seen of him this year, the only reason he still has a job in baseball is because of his name and reputation. I think this has yet another "Yankee Bust" written all over it.

rowand33
07-16-2005, 07:34 PM

what's even weirder is taht they didn't trade a pitcher...

Brown's starting on Monday...

they traded cash and a PTBNL for Leiter.

So... how many days until they sign Hideo Nomo?

pudge
07-16-2005, 07:39 PM

Wow, not only do you wish we had a run-down, over-the-hill, worthless vet, but you go ahead and make an unncessary political jab as well.

Live and learn I guess.

MIgrenade
07-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Hot off the presses from ESPN: This is the greatest move ever. Leiter still has great velocity and can really help the Yankee staff with a veteran presence. His ERA is high but that will all turn around when he puts on the Yankee uniform.

Note: This is fake, but that's basically what I've been hearing from Fox and such.

ChiSoxRowand
07-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Hot off the presses from ESPN: This is the greatest move ever. Leiter still has great velocity and can really help the Yankee staff with a veteran presence. His ERA is high but that will all turn around when he puts on the Yankee uniform.

Well if anyone is watching the ESPN telecast right now, Al Leiter is going to win the AL Cy Young this year and is going to the hall of fame.

Bisco Stu
07-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow, I don't know who was hated more on this thread, me or Al.

I voted for Ronald Raygun in 84 when I was in my teenage "Ayn Rand phase" if that helps.

DSpivack
07-17-2005, 03:45 AM
The Yankees aren't done because they're 1.5 games out of first place, and because Boston is having bullpen issues and Baltimore's starting pitching isn't a whole lot better than the Yankees. The tallest midget wins that division.

DaleJRFan
07-17-2005, 04:14 AM
That's what makes him a stand up guy.

you beat me to it shoota.

DaleJRFan
07-17-2005, 04:17 AM
your location gives away your ignorance...there's a reason they call it the 'right'

The greatest of all the radio-conservatives is from SF, Michael Savage. Not everyone in California is nuts.

How long until this thread os closed and we all get banned??? :D:

Erik The Red
07-17-2005, 05:33 AM
Precisely, it dates back to seating arrangements in the French National Assembly of 1789 (http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20001213). Of course, you knew that already, and would never stoop to using sophomoric insults.

Do me and the rest of the sane conservatives here a favor, and quit embarassing us.

Oh, and http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/forum_old_lock.gif

chitownhawkfan
07-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Hey Bisco Stu,

What does a pitchers lack of velocity have anything to do with his political leanings. It is muppets like you who get good threads banned. Just because you live on the left coast doesnt mean you should dog a pitcher who has different beliefs.

:andy
I didnt know this was a politics board, what are you talking about biscuit stu, or whatever your name is.

Fredsox
07-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey Bisco Stu,

What does a pitchers lack of velocity have anything to do with his political leanings. It is muppets like you who get good threads banned. Just because you live on the left coast doesnt mean you should dog a pitcher who has different beliefs.

I didnt know this was a politics board, what are you talking about biscuit stu, or whatever your name is.

Yeah, let's try to leave politics out of this. Nothing against you Bisco, let's just focus on baseball. Don't care who you voted for, don't hate you, don't give a rat's fazoo about Leiter's political posture. Keep it on baseball, World Series,and that's it.

chaerulez
07-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Leiter is done, I'm sure KW had no interest in bringing over a 7 ERA pitcher (I mean how does this guy deserve to replace ANY starter on the Sox staff?), and yes all this political bs was unnecessary... will not be surprised if this is in the roadhouse very soon.

Bisco Stu
07-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Fine, politics are gone, whatever. If my comment was right-leaning, I highly doubt there would have been this kind of reaction, but that's what you get on a sports board.

To the point: Yeah, Leiter is really done...

He should be on the Sox roster, bottom line.

santo=dorf
07-18-2005, 12:12 AM
:rolleyes:
Please set aside your Mets bias on this one.

With the numbers he is putting up this season, is he really worth $400,000 for half a season? Why exactly would the Sox need Leiter?

chitownhawkfan
07-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Just what the Sox needed, a broken down old lefty who cant pitch. What were you thinking KW? If the Sox picked up Leiter who would be the third player in the booth during the playoffs on Fox?

:andy
I can pitch better than Leiter

Jjav829
07-18-2005, 12:18 AM

As what, a batting practice pitcher? You tell me, whose roster spot should Leiter take. I'm gonna assume that you wouldn't say that he should replace Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, Hermanson, Politte, Marte, or Cotts. That leaves 3 spots. Is Leiter a better option than El Duque? I don't see it. I'm not even sure that he'd be better than Vizcaino or Shingo. He had one good game tonight. He also had a similar outing in his 3rd start of the season. He went on to suck after that 3rd outing and there's nothing to guarantee that he will continue to pitch like he did tonight and there's little reason to think he's a better starter than our other options.

And, yes, please keep politics off these boards.

Bisco Stu
07-19-2005, 12:27 AM
My final say on the subject: If Leiter beats us in a postseason game, especially one that costs us the ALDS/CS, this thread will NEVER die. :angry:

(At least in spirit, I reckon a mod could lock it or whatnot. :D: )

Of course, hope I'm wrong and we beat Leiter 42-1 in any and all games we face him in.

But Al's road ERA this season is 3.35 and with Dookay's arm and JC's head, I'd like to have a guy like Al to pitch in a clutch situation, even if it was out of the bully.

Point's moot anywho, Al's a Skankee. Let's see what KW can do to solidify the staff.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Well he did look impressive Sunday night. The question is though is that a one shot wonder?

Now that the Yanks are in first place having made up I think, 6 1/2 games in a month, it'll be interesting to see who they get at the deadline. George will spend the money that's for sure.

Lip

Paulwny
07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Well he did look impressive Sunday night. The question is though is that a one shot wonder?

Now that the Yanks are in first place having made up I think, 6 1/2 games in a month, it'll be interesting to see who they get at the deadline. George will spend the money that's for sure.

Lip

They might go shopping for a cf who can really cover some ground. Bernie Williams is a huge defensive hole.

nodiggity59
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
My final say on the subject: If Leiter beats us in a postseason game, especially one that costs us the ALDS/CS, this thread will NEVER die. :angry:

(At least in spirit, I reckon a mod could lock it or whatnot. :D: )

Of course, hope I'm wrong and we beat Leiter 42-1 in any and all games we face him in.

But Al's road ERA this season is 3.35 and with Dookay's arm and JC's head, I'd like to have a guy like Al to pitch in a clutch situation, even if it was out of the bully.

Point's moot anywho, Al's a Skankee. Let's see what KW can do to solidify the staff.

Bisco, did you ever consider the fact that Leiter wanted to play for the Yankees VERY badly? He said so several times in the media.

samram
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Lip

Really? Who will they trade? They have two, at most, marketable prospects, and basically nothing on the ML roster to trade. They also have a payroll that is becoming, believe it or not, restricting, to a certain extent. Remember they were considering dealing Sheffield about three weeks ago. That was how they would have been able to bring in another high-priced player. There's a reason Al Leiter was signed- their big name acquisition prospects are far worse this year than in the last six or seven years.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Teams might be trying to simply dump salaries. As I recall the Sox did it pretty well in 2002.

The Cubs got Lee and Ramirez because they were willing to take on salary, who better then to do that then the Yankees.

The Royals for example, would love to get top prospects but you know what they'd love even more? To get somebody, anybody to take off their hands those big salaries. Ditto clubs like the Pirates, Reds, Giants, Devil Rays etc...

Trades today is not necessarily about 'coming out even,' or trying to take advantage of the other guy. With 'small payroll' teams it's about $$$$$$. Pure and simple.

Lip

samram
07-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Teams might be trying to simply dump salaries. As I recall the Sox did it pretty well in 2002.

The Cubs got Lee and Ramirez because they were willing to take on salary, who better then to do that then the Yankees.

The Royals for example, would love to get top prospects but you know what they'd love even more? To get somebody, anybody to take off their hands those big salaries. Ditto clubs like the Pirates, Reds, Giants, Devil Rays etc...

Trades today is not necessarily about 'coming out even,' or trying to take advantage of the other guy. With 'small payroll' teams it's about $$$$$$. Pure and simple.

Lip

Yes, and one of the points of my post was that the Yankees aren't as willing, or able, to take on salary as they've done in the past due to their already gigantic payroll. I know you like to think your hero Big Stein will just spend and spend until there's not a cent in the bank, but that's not true. There was a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49431&page=1&pp=15&highlight=yankees+payroll) a couple of months ago about the Yankees' financial situation which explains why drunken-sailor-style spending is probably not going to be the story this year in NY.

That said, I think Juan Pierre and Randy Winn are possibilities there.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Samran:

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks won't we? All I know is that when some on the site said the 'Yankees were done' or 'were out of it,' I said that they were only 6 1/2 out with half a season to go. That it would be insanity to 'count out' a team with the financial resources that they have at this early date.

Personally I think they will face the Sox in the post season as the wild card winner.

As far as George being a hero, I wouldn't go that far however I always admired him for his passion about winning. He wants to win above all else. That counts for something with me.

Lip

santo=dorf
07-22-2005, 11:18 PM
So far tonight: 3 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 0 K's, 5 ER.

spanishwhite
07-23-2005, 02:40 AM
So far tonight: 3 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 0 K's, 5 ER.

He finished with 6 er in 6 innings...ehh. He really didnt pitch too horribly, he had one horrible inning and pitched effectively the rest of the game.

He kept the Yankees in the game?

In terms of the Yankees and their farm system, it still isnt great but it is highly underrated. They have two top 50 prospects and a bunch of mid-level prospects. Considering what is available on the market right now, they have enough to get what they want. They cant outbid anybody, but they really dont want to trade their prospects in light of recent success stories Wang and Cano.

And in terms of the Yankees, they are 1 and 1/2 games out of first with 4 pitchers on the DL. All of which should be back by mid August. If they are
within striking distance by then. They should be the favorites in that division.