PDA

View Full Version : Is Kenny's Interest in Burnett a Hoax?

TheOldRoman
07-16-2005, 12:09 PM
After giving it some thought, I believe that Kenny's pursuit of AJ Burnett may be a hoax. We are now favored to land AJ by experts such as Gammons, Neyer, and I Rosenthal. They are all talking about a package we are putting together, and they all mention Marte. The funny thing is, I hadn't heard about Marte specifically being part of the deal until someone mentioned it in the mega obsession thread. The day after, Boston Gammons was reporting that it will probably get done, and include Marte. Gammons said before that he checks WSI. I wonder if he got that inside scoop here.

A poster made a good point yesterday or the day before. He asked the question: how many times has KW gone through a long, drawn out pursuit of a trade and gotten the player? How many times has KW let his interest go public? We didn't hear a thing in the media before the Alomar, Everett, and Garcia trades. The media all but had Freddy going to the Yankees, and said the White Sox didn't have a chance. The ONLY time in recent years KW let his intent go public was in the Omar Vizquel dealings, and we all know how that turned out. Afterwards, he said that he works under the radar, and he wasn't able to get Omar signed because word got out and caused the Giants to call with a bigger offer.

Therefore, I ask the question, is it all a hoax? First of all, the trade proposal is ridiculous. People can (and have) argue about who is better, but statistic wise, Jose and Burnett are VERY similar. Both have a lot of potential, but haven't put it all together. Please don't argue about who is better in this thread, there are 2 other threads for that. Marte, when healthy, can be one of the best relievers in baseball. I could understand trading Contreras (1 year left) for Burnett (free agent) if the Sox see something in Burnett they think they can change and make him a winner. But why in the world would they enter into a bidding war with another team for a player they essentially don't need, and grossly overpay for that player while creating another big hole in the team which would need to be address through another big trade? I think it's a hoax. I think KW is pursuing one or two other top trades, and is sending out these Burnett smoke signals to throw off other GMs. Could he be working out a deal for Schmidt? Wagner? Guardado? KW is up to something, but I'm pretty sure it isn't getting Burnett.
:KW
"Smoke and mirrors, boys. Smoke and mirrors."

balke
07-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I didn't read anything you wrote cause there was a lot of it, and I'm guessing the title summed it up. I'd say yes, I don't see the Sox wanting Burnett. If anything they want Lowell for an emergency 3B or something... but there's gotta be better options out there.

Jjav829
07-16-2005, 12:16 PM
First, when has Gammons said that he checks WSI? The only website I've ever heard him talk about is SoSH, which he gushes over. :?:

Second, the Garcia trade was speculated for weeks, if not months. I think everytime Gammons wrote a column from May to June of last year he talked about KW's love For Freddy, how KW was the GM being most aggressive in pursuing Freddy, etc. We were considered the favorites to land Freddy because KW wanted him the most and because most people knew that we would have the best chance to re-sign Freddy of any team that would trade for him.

I doubt this is a hoax. Will it happen? I don't know. Several newspaper reports today are saying Burnett will be traded this weekend. Most of them seem to indicate the Orioles are stepping up their efforts to land Burnett, and one of them even has the Orioles-Marlins trade as near done.

ShoelessJoeS
07-16-2005, 12:16 PM
i hope its all a hoax, i dont like what wed have to give up for burnett....get wagner kenny.

TheOldRoman
07-16-2005, 12:24 PM
First, when has Gammons said that he checks WSI? The only website I've ever heard him talk about is SoSH, which he gushes over. :?:

Second, the Garcia trade was speculated for weeks, if not months. I think everytime Gammons wrote a column from May to June of last year he talked about KW's love For Freddy, how KW was the GM being most aggressive in pursuing Freddy, etc. We were considered the favorites to land Freddy because KW wanted him the most and because most people knew that we would have the best chance to re-sign Freddy of any team that would trade for him.

I doubt this is a hoax. Will it happen? I don't know. Several newspaper reports today are saying Burnett will be traded this weekend. Most of them seem to indicate the Orioles are stepping up their efforts to land Burnett, and one of them even has the Orioles-Marlins trade as near done.
Fenway posted that he spoke to Gammons who told him he checked WSI regularly, but wouldn't tell his screen name.

The Garcia trade was speculated for months, but mostly on WSI. Gammons wrote an article saying "If anyone can convince the Mariners to trade Garcia, KW can." However, even he was saying on TV that Garcia would most likely go to the Yankees. We were never considered favorites by any of the experts.

Mickster
07-16-2005, 12:29 PM

That is my recollection as well. I recall that it was a NYY and Sox race but that NYY had little to offer in the way of Minor Leaguers.

I doubt that any leak, real or otherwise, would come from KW himself or anyone on the Sox staff. Why do you believe that any rumors being overheard are coming from the Sox? Could it be that someone over in FLA has loose lips?

Soxmissy
07-16-2005, 01:33 PM
You could be on to something. Kenny is most probably on to something and more then likely we won't know exactly what it is until it happens.

skobabe8
07-16-2005, 01:41 PM
After giving it some thought, I believe that Kenny's pursuit of AJ Burnett may be a hoax. We are now favored to land AJ by experts such as Gammons, Neyer, and I Rosenthal. They are all talking about a package we are putting together, and they all mention Marte. The funny thing is, I hadn't heard about Marte specifically being part of the deal until someone mentioned it in the mega obsession thread. The day after, Boston Gammons was reporting that it will probably get done, and include Marte. Gammons said before that he checks WSI. I wonder if he got that inside scoop here.

A poster made a good point yesterday or the day before. He asked the question: how many times has KW gone through a long, drawn out pursuit of a trade and gotten the player? How many times has KW let his interest go public? We didn't hear a thing in the media before the Alomar, Everett, and Garcia trades. The media all but had Freddy going to the Yankees, and said the White Sox didn't have a chance. The ONLY time in recent years KW let his intent go public was in the Omar Vizquel dealings, and we all know how that turned out. Afterwards, he said that he works under the radar, and he wasn't able to get Omar signed because word got out and caused the Giants to call with a bigger offer.

Therefore, I ask the question, is it all a hoax? First of all, the trade proposal is ridiculous. People can (and have) argue about who is better, but statistic wise, Jose and Burnett are VERY similar. Both have a lot of potential, but haven't put it all together. Please don't argue about who is better in this thread, there are 2 other threads for that. Marte, when healthy, can be one of the best relievers in baseball. I could understand trading Contreras (1 year left) for Burnett (free agent) if the Sox see something in Burnett they think they can change and make him a winner. But why in the world would they enter into a bidding war with another team for a player they essentially don't need, and grossly overpay for that player while creating another big hole in the team which would need to be address through another big trade? I think it's a hoax. I think KW is pursuing one or two other top trades, and is sending out these Burnett smoke signals to throw off other GMs. Could he be working out a deal for Schmidt? Wagner? Guardado? KW is up to something, but I'm pretty sure it isn't getting Burnett.
:KW
"Smoke and mirrors, boys. Smoke and mirrors."

I was thinking that too. Not necessarily a hoax, but more like its too public now, so it wont happen.

gr8mexico
07-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I was thinking that too. Not necessarily a hoax, but more like its too public now, so it wont happen. Yeah I don't think it would happend.I think the Sox have something else up there sleeves.I think Kenny is looking to make a 3 way deal.I cant wait until the deadline comes and goes.

Cowhead418
07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I hope it's a hoax. Burnett better not come here unless we give up Borchard and Harris for him.

Man Soo Lee
07-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Fenway posted that he spoke to Gammons who told him he checked WSI regularly, but wouldn't tell his screen name.

otis?

buehrle4cy05
07-16-2005, 03:49 PM
I think you might be on to something. I was incredibly surprised when KW traded for Garcia last year. I heard a lot about the White Sox trading for Larry Walker last year, and they surprised me by getting Everett.

Or maybe KW is still going to trade for Burnett, but involving other players. July 31 can't come soon enough.

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2005, 03:56 PM
otis?

No. ChiSoxTony.

munchman33
07-16-2005, 04:37 PM
I heard a lot about the White Sox trading for Larry Walker last year, and they surprised me by getting Everett.

Kenny did trade for Walker last year. Walker used his no-trade clause to prevent it.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Isn't it nice to finally be in a position this year where we don't HAVE TO make a trade? I'm on board with whatever Kenny does or doesn't do, but I am kind of hoping we bolster the left side of the infield.

He gone
07-16-2005, 10:01 PM
I was watching the Tigers-Royals game (freebie tonight) and Fox Sports said the Tigers are interested in Burnett.

They can have him and Lowell :D:

Mohoney
07-17-2005, 12:43 AM
No. ChiSoxTony.

Wrong again. It's Aidan/Jabroni.

Brian26
07-17-2005, 12:48 AM
otis?

LOL- Wait, it's all making sense now!!!!

Brian26
07-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Fox Sports said the Tigers are interested in Burnett.

For what? To secure 4th place in the Central from the Royals? *****, they're toast.

balke
07-17-2005, 12:54 AM
For what? To secure 4th place in the Central from the Royals? *****, they're toast.

To Resign him with all the money they are supposedly dying to spend.

hose
07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
http://www.exler.ru/films/images/01-03-2002/capture14.jpg

"Hoax? , Look you obviously don't know anything about trades. It's an X-K-Red-27 technique."