PDA

View Full Version : Closer look at Ted Lilly

hose
07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Mark Gonzales of the Tribune mentioned that Bill Scherrer was in Toronto scouting Ted Lilly and Gustavo Chacin.

At first look Lilly's stats for the year do not look that impressive at 7-9 with a 5.21 era. If you take away 5 terrible consecutive outings from April 20th to May 13th Lilly has pitched pretty good.

In his last 10 starts from May 25th to July 14th Lilly has gone 5-5 with a 3.23 era and has allowed only 51 hits in 61.1 innings.

If you toss in his May 20th start he is even that much better . Lilly beat Washington giving up 1 earned run over 6 innings and striking out 8 with no walks.

I also like the fact that Lilly got a win against Oakland in that stretch also.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=1 50404&statType=2

JRIG
07-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Mark Gonzales of the Tribune mentioned that Bill Scherrer was in Toronto scouting Ted Lilly and Gustavo Chacin.

At first look Lilly's stats for the year do not look that impressive at 7-9 with a 5.21 era. If you take away 5 terrible consecutive outings from April 20th to May 13th Lilly has pitched pretty good.

In his last 10 starts from May 25th to July 14th Lilly has gone 5-5 with a 3.23 era and has allowed only 51 hits in 61.1 innings.

If you toss in his May 20th start he is even that much better . Lilly beat Washington giving up 1 earned run over 6 innings and striking out 8 with no walks.

I also like the fact that Lilly got a win against Oakland in that stretch also.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=1 50404&statType=2

Lilly had a problem with his delivery or release point in those starts he was bombed in. He was also hurt to begin the season. Since then he's been outstanding.

I'm a big Ted Lilly fan.

RallyBowl
07-16-2005, 10:45 AM
No.

beckett21
07-16-2005, 12:57 PM
No.

Well there you have it.

:rolleyes:

illinibk
07-16-2005, 12:59 PM
No.
Thanks for all of that wonderful insight. You have convinced me that Lilly is of no value to the Sox.

munchman33
07-16-2005, 01:05 PM
No.

I understand that Lilly's name is not as big as Schmidt or Burnett, but trading for Lilly and losing Contreras in the rotation would be an upgrade.

fquaye149
07-16-2005, 01:08 PM
first of all, I'm not so sure Jose would be the pitcher replaced in the rotation, nor am I convinced he SHOULD be the pitcher replaced at this point.

second of all, I'm not electrified by Lilly, and wouldn't be happy to see McCarthy or Anderson go for him.

BUT if the package were right I would love to see this deal happen. I think we need another left-handed arm in the staff - we are feeling a little right-heavy right now, and I think come playoff time, while we will probably only need 3 pitchers, it would be nice to hav.e the option of pitching buehrle and lilly vs. a lefty heavy team like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Formerly Representing the Entirety of California

beckett21
07-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I understand that Lilly's name is not as big as Schmidt or Burnett, but trading for Lilly and losing Contreras in the rotation would be an upgrade.

I posted a stat last week that in Lilly's last 5 starts before the break he was 4-1 with a 2.03 ERA. This was against St Louis, Baltimore, Washington, and Boston, all serious playoff contenders. The other team was Oakland, who has been white-hot. So he has been doing it against good competition.

His last start was a loss against Tampa, but he only gave up 2 runs on 4 hits in 7 innings, with 8 K's.

Whatever his problem was early in the season, he has remedied it.

I am a fan of Contreras and I'm not sure I would consider Lilly a considerable upgrade over Jose. I would like to see Lilly in the Sox rotation though as an additional insurance arm should Contreras falter or El Duque fail to return, if the top-tier options like Burnett or Schmidt become cost prohibitive or unattainable.

Problem is, with the way he is pitching lately and the loss of Halladay, plus Toronto still being in striking distance of a playoff berth, I wonder if Lilly is even available at this point. His stock is certainly on the rise.

But don't tell that to the people who say the Sox always overpay for everybody. Toronto should just give him to the Sox for Kevin Walker and Joe Borchard. I mean, his ERA is 5.21. He obviously sucks.