PDA

View Full Version : *Official* lets get hot for Huff thread

Optipessimism
07-16-2005, 04:38 AM
All the specualtion has been centered around Schidt and Burnett so far, but let's face it. We don't need another starter, we would just like another starter. However what I've been hearing seems to say that we will actually NEED a 3B considering Crede's troubles, so how about Aubrey Huff?

This is not designed to be about a trade for Randa, because IMO Randa doesn't hold Huff's jock strap. It's been know for quite a while that we need a LH power bat, and now we may seriously need a 3Bman, so this thread is for nothing other than the deep pink hope that we can land Huff.

Who's with me? Kenny, if you are reading, let's get this guy. Let's forget about Burnett, who hasn't shown he is better than any single member of our rotation thusfar, and let's set our sights on an actual need. Pick up Huff and his abilit y to play 1st or 3rd and his ability to provide a powerful LH bat in the middle of tyhe lineup. I say that if we are going to overp-ay for a guy, let's at least overpay fgor a guy we can use. This thread is SOLELY Dedicated to the deep-pink hope that KW can land Huff. Let's get to it.

Come on Sox Army!!! Let's create such a stir that we can't go unnoticed! Let's bring Aubrey Huff to the South Side!!!

**EDIT: read that as you must, and fill in as you must, because I'm hammered.

Optipessimism
07-16-2005, 06:20 AM
Hey Optipessimism, I just have to say you are a great poster!

I agree wqe should make a run at Huff because it would essentially kill two birds with one stone. It's a shame that no one else has posted in this thread so far.

You rock Optipessimism! Keep up the good work!

MeanFish
07-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Which two birds, exactly? Huff's not a great 3B. Not really any better than Pablo with the glove. And, he doesn't really hit that well circa 2005. For the asking price, no way. We can be more creative than that. Personally, I'd be for doing a deal with the Angels. They've got kind of a glut at left-side infield, and a need for another power bat in the middle of the lineup.

Basically, is there any way we can wrestle Figgins or McPherson from them in a trade that also helps them?

BeviBall!
07-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I just saw this.... Huff makes Ozuna look like Ventura defensively. There's a reason Lou yanked Aubrey away from 3B just 12 games into the '03 season, I think it was. He was garbage on D.

MeanFish
07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Is there any chance we could magically transform this into the "Citizens for Rob Mackowiak thread?" :redneck

tweek57
07-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Basically, is there any way we can wrestle Figgins or McPherson from them in a trade that also helps them?
NO. They love Figgins seeing how he can play 4 different positions and all of them well. He's just about thier only source of speed on the basebaths as well, he's going nowhere.

As for McPherson. Um, hell no. They are gaga over Dallas, that's why they let Glaus walk, McPherson is a mega power 3rd baseman who plays a servicable 3rd base.

They're in 1st place, they will not be trading either of these studs.

gf2020
07-16-2005, 08:39 PM
If we are going to trade with the D-Rays, I'd much rather get Lugo who can play 3B, SS and 2B and is having a good offensive season.

MeanFish
07-16-2005, 08:49 PM
NO. They love Figgins seeing how he can play 4 different positions and all of them well. He's just about thier only source of speed on the basebaths as well, he's going nowhere.

As for McPherson. Um, hell no. They are gaga over Dallas, that's why they let Glaus walk, McPherson is a mega power 3rd baseman who plays a servicable 3rd base.

They're in 1st place, they will not be trading either of these studs.

Well, I know that. But it's okay to dream, right? :-P

Tragg
07-16-2005, 10:04 PM
If we are going to trade with the D-Rays, I'd much rather get Lugo who can play 3B, SS and 2B and is having a good offensive season.
Lugo is also one of the worst fielders in the game. Lots of errors, few great plays. He can play multiple positions, I agree.

I've never seen Huff play, so I don't know much about him. People used to be high on his bat, though (and he was cheap). Having a crummy year, it seems.

Chicago83
07-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Is there any chance we could magically transform this into the "Citizens for Rob Mackowiak thread?" :redneck

I would join that campaign over Huff. Mackowiak is having a solid year and can also play OF. His offensive stats look good, I have only seen him play once so I can't say much for his glove, I'll have to watch the Pirates game tomorrow. Also Rob is from Oak Lawn.

Optipessimism
07-17-2005, 04:38 AM
I would join that campaign over Huff. Mackowiak is having a solid year and can also play OF. His offensive stats look good, I have only seen him play once so I can't say much for his glove, I'll have to watch the Pirates game tomorrow. Also Rob is from Oak Lawn.

I could get on that bandwagon too. But, I think Huff would be a good option over say a guy like Randa or Lowell if we need a third baseman. If Paulie isn't here next year we can move Huff to 1B and not have to worry about filling a hole in the offseason (either 1B or LH power bat). Plus, Huff can play the outfield too. ON the other hand, Randa is a third baseman only who would have to be traded assuming Crede comes back healthy next year and KW wants to keep stay with strong defense at 3B. Lowell is an option and could also play 1B, but his contract would be a much more difficult to unload in the offseason if for any reason KW decided to go a different route at either 1B or 3B.

Mackowiak however seems like he would be a nice fit all around. Nice suggestion.

Podzilla_40
07-17-2005, 07:04 AM
I'd rather have Crede play great D and work with his offense then have a butcher at 3B everyday like Huff, who is at best a barely above average hitter.

BeviBall!
07-17-2005, 10:10 AM
like Huff, who is at best a barely above average hitter.

Um, that's nowhere near the truth. Huff can rake.

Podzilla_40
07-17-2005, 10:30 AM
I exaggerated his (lack of) talent but I just don't think KW should empty the farm for a player like Huff. He really doesn't seem like the guy that would push us over the top. He is versatile so lots of people will inquire, and TB always fleeces their trading partners.

MeanFish
07-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Um, that's nowhere near the truth. Huff can rake.

Color me skeptical, but Huff makes the list of "guys who mysteriously vanished at the plate in 2005"

Given the circumstances, I'd be particularly careful bringing guys like that in.

Jjav829
07-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Color me skeptical, but Huff makes the list of "guys who mysteriously vanished at the plate in 2005"

Given the circumstances, I'd be particularly careful bringing guys like that in.

Huff will be fine. I believe he just needs to get out of Tampa. Playing in a place like that does no good for anyone. You get Huff out of there and put him in a place where he knows his team has an actual chance to win, he will flourish.

Also, it's not like Huff has been awful. He had a terrible May, which really killed his overall numbers. His power has started to come on with 5 HRs in the past 16 games. He's heating up. I'm not saying the Sox should necessarily trade for Huff now(even though I'm leading a "Free Aubrey Huff" campaign:redneck ) because we don't have a position for him to play everyday. In the offseason, if he's still a Devil Ray, I'd love to get Huff to play 1B or DH depending on how everything shakes out. But for now, I think any team that trades for Huff will get a very nice offensive boost. IMO, the Astros are a perfect fit.

FielderJones
07-17-2005, 12:08 PM

My wife teaches in the Oak Lawn school district. She remembers coaching "Bobby" Mackowiak on a grade school track team.
:smile:

pearso66
07-17-2005, 02:32 PM
I know, we can get that guy named Carlos Lee, he played 3b in the minors, and has actually gotten better this year. He has a lot of versatility, as he can play the OF and 1B too. Lets get him.

santo=dorf
07-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah, Crede sucks. Just look at his stats:
.255 average
.316 OBP
.390 SLG
9 HR
46 RBI
$4,916,667 salary.

Oh wait, those are Huff's numbers. Considering he hasn't played a game at third this year, and he has been a butcher there in the past, what makes any of you guys think this guy would improve our team this year? :?:

Optipessimism
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
It's not about replacing Crede. If he is going to possibily miss some time someone will have to cover for him.

The Huff suggestion is as an improvement of Pablo Ozuna.

White Sox Josh
07-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok from what I heard when the Cubs went and asked what they wanted for Danys Baez here is what the Rays wanted:
Zambrano
Prior
two young top prospects.

If that is true than the Rays would probably ask the Sox for Buehrle and Garland. No way. To damn expensive.

MeanFish
07-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Ok from what I heard when the Cubs went and asked what they wanted for Danys Baez here is what the Rays wanted:
Zambrano
Prior
two young top prospects.

If that is true than the Rays would probably ask the Sox for Buehrle and Garland. No way. To damn expensive.

The Rays GM can't possibly be *that* bad...

Jjav829
07-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Zambrano
Prior
two young top prospects.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah, I'm sure you heard that the Devil Rays asked for the Cubs two best pitchers and two top prospects in return for a mediocre closer. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Optipessimism
07-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Zambrano
Prior
two young top prospects.

Somebody told you that and you actually believed it? Wow.

halfpricemonday
07-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Zambrano
Prior
two young top prospects.

Actually I heard it was this deal plus Wrigley Field for Tropicana, straight up.

Tragg
07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Just checking out his stats, it looks like the dude's an outfielder this year; one could speculate that perhaps his glove is a reason for that (or maybe they have some hot-shot youngster, I don't know)? .941 FP last year.
This will be the third straight year of offensive decline; and the power numbers this year are 50% below last year's - in this, the first year of steroid-free baseball. I have no idea if he was on the roids, but lots of players were, and $5 million isn't chicken feed.