PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle or Wilson Alvarez?

chisoxfanatic
07-16-2005, 02:15 AM
While working in the kitchen tonight, this thought popped into my head that I thought would lead to some interesting discussion. Would you rather have the current Mark Buehrle or Wilson Alvarez circa 1993 pitch in a "big" game?

This year's Buehrle and 1993's Alvarez bear striking similarities indeed. Both post(ed) very low ERAs (lower than 3), and both work(ed) deep into ballgames (inning-eaters), allowing the bullpen tons of rest for the next game, not allowing many "free passes" either. While Alvarez tended to strike out more guys than Buehrle (5.63 for Buehrle and 6.7 for Alvarez), something that sticks out in favor of Buehrle is that a lesser percentage of his allowed hits turned into runs (37.7% for Buehrle to 46.4% for Alvarez).

Both come from different eras with different offensive schemes. But, because of the way he dominates games, plus his record beyond the shadow of a doubt will be better than Alvarez's at season's end, I'd say I'd go with Buehrle.

Discuss.

fquaye149
07-16-2005, 02:21 AM
While working in the kitchen tonight, this thought popped into my head that I thought would lead to some interesting discussion. Would you rather have the current Mark Buehrle or Wilson Alvarez circa 1993 pitch in a "big" game?

This year's Buehrle and 1993's Alvarez bear striking similarities indeed. Both post(ed) very low ERAs (lower than 3), and both work(ed) deep into ballgames (inning-eaters), allowing the bullpen tons of rest for the next game, not allowing many "free passes" either. While Alvarez tended to strike out more guys than Buehrle (5.63 for Buehrle and 6.7 for Alvarez), something that sticks out in favor of Buehrle is that a lesser percentage of his allowed hits turned into runs (37.7% for Buehrle to 46.4% for Alvarez).

Both come from different eras with different offensive schemes. But, because of the way he dominates games, plus his record beyond the shadow of a doubt will be better than Alvarez's at season's end, I'd say I'd go with Buehrle.

Discuss.

I'll take Buehrle, if for no other reason than that even when he pitches L's, they don't take so long.

BanditJimmy
07-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Mark Buehrle by a land-slide.

SpartanSoxFan
07-16-2005, 02:56 AM
I'll take Mark Buehrle, since we can't fire up the flux capacitor and take Alvarez from August 11, 1991.

Soxmissy
07-16-2005, 04:30 AM
:D: NO BRAINER! Has to be Buehrle:D: While working in the kitchen tonight, this thought popped into my head that I thought would lead to some interesting discussion. Would you rather have the current Mark Buehrle or Wilson Alvarez circa 1993 pitch in a "big" game?

Discuss.

SOXSINCE'70
07-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Beuhrle.Much more reliable than Alvarez.Less likely to go on the DL
(so far),and much slimmer than Willie The Whale.:roflmao:

Does anyone remember how "tired" Alvarez said his arm was
as the Sox were on a WC push in 1996?? I do.Then,one year
later,Alvarez's agent,Scott Dumb-ass,sat down with Ron Scheuler
to begin negotiations on a multi year deal for his client.
All Alvarez wanted was a 5 year,35 million dollar deal.

And so,the "white flag" trade began.

BTW-The Sox missed the playoffs in 1996.

JRIG
07-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Alvarez walked far too many batters to be counted on to pitch a truly "big" game.

Give me Buehrle.

cbone
07-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Beuhrle.Much more reliable than Alvarez.Less likely to go on the DL
(so far),and much slimmer than Willie The Whale.:roflmao:

Does anyone remember how "tired" Alvarez said his arm was
as the Sox were on a WC push in 1996?? I do.Then,one year
later,Alvarez's agent,Scott Dumb-ass,sat down with Ron Scheuler
to begin negotiations on a multi year deal for his client.
All Alvarez wanted was a 5 year,35 million dollar deal.

And so,the "white flag" trade began.

BTW-The Sox missed the playoffs in 1996.

I'll never forget that! Tired? Tired? How about a little conditioning! Drove my family nuts!

kevingrt
07-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Got to go with Buehrle. More consistent pitcher and always keeps us in games it seems like. Alvarez was awesome but Buehrle is just so dominant know and is in the top three for AL Cy Young consideration right now. You cannot beat Burlymon!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Alvarez wasn't considered our "ace" pitcher until 1997, after both McDowell and Fernandez were gone. Buehrle wins this easy.

A more valid comparision would be McDowell '93 vs. Buehrle '05. They were both young but experienced "ace" pitchers coming up big on behalf of winning teams.

I'm not sure who I would take. Two different eras...

jehosaphat
07-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Alvarez wasn't considered our "ace" pitcher until 1997, after both McDowell and Fernandez were gone. Buehrle wins this easy.

A more valid comparision would be McDowell '93 vs. Buehrle '05. They were both young but experienced "ace" pitchers coming up big on behalf of winning teams.

Absolutely. Alvarez loses to Buehrle, Garland, & Garcia in my mind. I'm not sure he beats out Contreras.

But, Buehrle v. McDowell. I'll take Buehrle for the season but perhaps McDowell for one game. However, Buehrle could change my mind with a strong performance in the post season.

Mark'sBrokenFoot
07-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Discuss.

1993's Alvarez walked 122 batters. It would take Buehrle 2 years to walk that many. Wilson was awesome for a back of the rotation starter, but for a big game, I'll take the guy that isn't playing with fire by allowing tons of baserunners.

buehrle4cy05
07-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Buehrle. Nothing against Wilson Alvarez, I really liked him back on the Sox, but Buehrle is a much better pitcher.

Brian26
07-16-2005, 11:41 PM
But, Buehrle v. McDowell. I'll take Buehrle for the season but perhaps McDowell for one game.

Tough call. I definitely want Buehrle if we're playing the Blue Jays :D:

batmanZoSo
07-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Tough call. I definitely want Buehrle if we're playing the Blue Jays :D:

McDowell's definitely a better tipper...