PDA

View Full Version : Silly Thought: Jon Garland = AL Most Improved Player?

DaleJRFan
07-16-2005, 02:26 AM
If Jon Garland can continue to throw strikes and get batters out as he has been doing, there is no reason why he cannot win 20 games. After winning 12 games a season and posting 4.50+ ERAs for 4 years, is there any reason why Jon Garland SHOULDN'T win the AL Most Improved Player? Would this might be considered Breakout Player of the Year or some other award?

I guess this is more of an MLB Awards question more than a Jon Garland question... I understand there are 70+ games left and lots of baseball to be played, but the thought had entered my mind... and I felt entirely obligated to start a thread. :D:

Optipessimism
07-16-2005, 06:28 AM
I think it all depends on where the Sox fall at the end of the year. If they still have the best record in baseball then I think we have at least two or three of the following locked up:

AL Executive of the Year (KW)
AL Manager of the Year (Ozzie)
Rolaids Relief Man of the Year (Hermanson)
AL Rookie of the Year (Iguchi)
Most Improved Player of the Year (Garland, Dye or Podsednik)
Gold Glove (Iguchi, Crede)
Cy Young (Garland or Buerhle)
MVP (Konerko)

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2005, 09:39 AM
OK, I can see the possibility of White Sox winner in any of the categories you listed, until this one:

MVP (Konerko)

:roflmao: Seriously, you are kidding, right? :rolling:

:roflmao: Right? :rolling:

The only way this happens is if Konerko goes on an unprecedented tear and hits, oh, .375 for the rest of the season to go with another 30 or so homers.

Sure, it's within the realm of possibility, but it's also within the realm of possibility that my 88 year-old grandmother could steal second base off Mark Buehrle (after reaching on an intentional walk, no less).

RallyBowl
07-16-2005, 10:43 AM
OK, I can see the possibility of White Sox winner in any of the categories you listed, until this one:

:roflmao: Seriously, you are kidding, right? :rolling:

:roflmao: Right? :rolling:

The only way this happens is if Konerko goes on an unprecedented tear and hits, oh, .375 for the rest of the season to go with another 30 or so homers.

Sure, it's within the realm of possibility, but it's also within the realm of possibility that my 88 year-old grandmother could steal second base off Mark Buehrle (after reaching on an intentional walk, no less).
my thoughts exactly.

Optipessimism
07-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Sure, it's within the realm of possibility...

I never said he would win it, but considering he would have the closest thing to 'superstar' numbers, he would be given some consideration.

I don't see why that is so funny, it's just the truth. If the team finishes with the best record in baseball, many players would be up for these types of awards. All it is is the rest of the baseball world giving us some respect (which I truly believe would scare the pants off many here) by throwing a guy's name into consideration. That doesn't mean they'll win anything, which is why I only said we're a lock for 2 or three, and by that I mean we'd most likely be a lock for Manager of the Year and Executive of the Year.

kevingrt
07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
my thoughts exactly.

Yeah... I and how many WSI'ers are rooting for that?

munchman33
07-16-2005, 12:44 PM
MVP (Konerko)

I could make a better case for any other player on the team.

doublem23
07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Too many people fawn over Eric Chavez for Crede to win the Gold Glove, IMO. 2B is more realistic, but a stretch, too, I think.

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I never said he would win it, but considering he would have the closest thing to 'superstar' numbers, he would be given some consideration.

Konerko's not even scratching "star" numbers, much less "superstar numbers."

JMHO, but "superstar" numbers for first basemen are like those that, say, Albert Pujols or the 1991-97 version of Frank produce.

GIDPK's never even put up a .900 OPS for a season in his career.....

NDSox12
07-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Silly thought? Not at all. Garland has to be the leading candidate for Most Improved Player.

ShoelessJoeS
07-16-2005, 01:13 PM
GIDPK
'nuff said.

fquaye149
07-16-2005, 01:13 PM

I don't see why that is so funny, it's just the truth. If the team finishes with the best record in baseball, many players would be up for these types of awards. All it is is the rest of the baseball world giving us some respect (which I truly believe would scare the pants off many here) by throwing a guy's name into consideration. That doesn't mean they'll win anything, which is why I only said we're a lock for 2 or three, and by that I mean we'd most likely be a lock for Manager of the Year and Executive of the Year.

You are INSANE. There is no way Konerko wins it this year unless he raises his average 50 points and hits 50 home runs. Period.

Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Hermanson, Podsednik and Dye would ALL be considered for MVP before Konerko. His numbers are beyond underwhelming.

fquaye149
07-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Too many people fawn over Eric Chavez for Crede to win the Gold Glove, IMO. 2B is more realistic, but a stretch, too, I think.

The one thing Joe has going for him in this respect is that Chavez ALREADY has double digit errors.

It would look pretty bad if the gg winner had a .960 pct.

DaleJRFan
07-16-2005, 03:06 PM

I had not even considered Podsednik... good call. Everyone has been expecting Garland to perform as he has been this season. Maybe 'Breakout Player of the Year' if there is such a thing....

SABRSox
07-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I think it all depends on where the Sox fall at the end of the year. If they still have the best record in baseball then I think we have at least two or three of the following locked up:

MVP (Konerko)

This is the only award I'm interested in winning:
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/photo/ph_ballpark_museum_trophy.jpg

FedEx227
07-17-2005, 12:06 AM
I think Aaron Rowand could have a realistic chance at Gold Glove...

but then again he plays in the same league as Tony Womack/Kenny Lofton (soon...you just know it) and Johnny Damon.

nedlug
07-17-2005, 12:09 AM

MVP (Konerko)

Is there a Comeback Player of the Year award, like in football? Dye could get some love for that, if he gets .290 - 35 - 100.

But yes, these are all auxiliary things... the number one goal is a championship, and those would be icing on the cake.