PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban on WGN 720

shoota
07-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Pat and Ron welcomed Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban into their booth during today's Cubs game. Pat asked the obligatory question of, "What do you think of Wrigley Field?" Cuban said it's beautiful and that he wishes his Mavericks played in a place as beautiful as Wrigley. Cuban then went on to say it's great to see all the drunks at Wrigley and all the bars around the park. Pat was shocked and said something like, "Thanks for putting it so eloquently."

Quotes aren't exact, they are based off my memory.

ShoelessJoeS
07-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Pat and Ron welcomed Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban into their booth during today's Cubs game. Pat asked the obligatory question of, "What do you think of Wrigley Field?" Cuban said it's beautiful and that he wishes his Mavericks played in a place as beautiful as Wrigley. Cuban then went on to say it's great to see all the drunks at Wrigley and all the bars around the park. Pat was shocked and said something like, "Thanks for putting it so eloquently."

great to see all the drunks??? wow, he belongs there for that comment

JUribe1989
07-15-2005, 03:59 PM

I despise Mark Cuban because of how he treats the media and how he owns the Mavericks. This is the man who said that it would be good for the NBA that Kobe Bryant was facing rape charges.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Cuban forever lost my respect after he managed to whine just enough to get the Mavs in the second round the playoffs this season. Why David Stern let him get away with that bull****- while punishing Van Gundy- is beyond me.

The Racehorse
07-15-2005, 04:13 PM
If shoota's paraphrase is accurate, I think Cuban commenting exactly what goes on at Wrigley is GREAT :cool: ... why would that NOT be okay? :?:

Madvora
07-15-2005, 04:14 PM
This is the second reference to Mark Cuban and the Cubs today. What's going on? Check out this rumor from cbssportsline.com. This is the most worthless piece of information I have ever read. - so I'm having you read it too

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR
Will Mark Cuban own the Cubs one day? The Chicago Sun-Times says the owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks doesn't discount the idea, although the team is not up for sale at the moment.

chisoxfan64
07-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Ya, I was driving home from work and I heard this. Then Santo said, Well there are a lot of bars in Wrigleyville, it`s really beautiful.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Mark Cuban was quoted on The Sporting News radio network two years ago as saying he is not interested by getting a baseball team, but if he did it would be the Pirates, the team he grew up rooting for in Indiana.

Lip

DrCrawdad
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Mark Cuban was quoted on The Sporting News radio network two years ago as saying he is not interested by getting a baseball team, but if he did it would be the Pirates, the team he grew up rooting for in Indiana.

Lip

NO! NO! NO! Cuban is a Cubbie fan. Everyone, everywhere is a Cubbie fan.

SoxFanSince67
07-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Cuban is all about money. He'll do and say whatever if if can make hi a dime.

Hangar18
07-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Cuban forever lost my respect after he managed to whine just enough to get the Mavs in the second round the playoffs this season..

Cuban just EARNED my respect, by calling the "fans" at Wrigley "DRUNKS" ....
and telling the truth. Good job Mark.

The Racehorse
07-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Cuban just EARNED my respect, by calling the "fans" at Wrigley "DRUNKS" ....
and telling the truth. Good job Mark.

Ditto

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2005, 01:26 PM

Lip

Actually he is from Pittsburgh. He went to Indiana University.

Cuban actually is something of a "fan's owner." Yes, he meddles a lot in the on-field/court operations, but he goes out of his way to cater to the fans.

The day it was announced Cuban was buying the Mavs from Ross Perot Jr., the local sports/guy talk radio station, The Ticket (which relies on whole lot of celebrity impersonations for humourous content), had an interview with "The Fake Mark Cuban." Because the impersonator had not met Mark Cuban (all that was known about him at the time is that he was a self-made dot com billionaire) nor heard his voice (Cuban had not been interviewed in the DFW-area media before then), the impersonator made up a cheesy-sounding, clearly fake pseudo-Spanish accent. No one (other than his friends, family and business associates, of course) really knew what he looked like, sounded like or what he did for fun.

Well, at the end of the radio bit the producer interrupts the hosts and says that the real Mark Cuban is on the line. Shocked that a dot com billionaire would listen to sports talk radio, they put him on the air right away. Cuban laughed at the schtick impersonation and admitted that he was an everday, regular "P-1" listener to the station. He knew the names of both hosts, the producer and the impersonator. During the next five minutes, he answered all the hosts' questions and even said he'd be calling in frequently to take fans' questions as soon as the NBA approved his purchase of the team. At the end of his interview, he thanked the hosts for putting him on the air but added, "next time you impersonate me, at least try to get the accent right," and laughed. This clearly was not a planned bit, the hosts and producer genuinely were surprised that he would call up the station.

As much grief as he takes for some of his comments and his complaining about NBA officiating, Cuban desperately wants the Mavericks to win the NBA finals and would give his left nut to make it happen. He also has a brilliant business mind and knows a successful business has to spend money to make money.

ilsox7
07-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Actually he is from Pittsburgh. He went to Indiana University.

Cuban actually is something of a "fan's owner." Yes, he meddles a lot in the on-field/court operations, but he goes out of his way to cater to the fans.

The day it was announced Cuban was buying the Mavs from Ross Perot Jr., the local sports/guy talk radio station, The Ticket (which relies on whole lot of celebrity impersonations for humourous content), had an interview with "The Fake Mark Cuban." Because the impersonator had not met Mark Cuban (all that was known about him at the time is that he was a self-made dot com billionaire) nor heard his voice (Cuban had not been interviewed in the DFW-area media before then), the impersonator made up a cheesy-sounding, clearly fake pseudo-Spanish accent. No one (other than his friends, family and business associates, of course) really knew what he looked like, sounded like or what he did for fun.

Well, at the end of the radio bit the producer interrupts the hosts and says that the real Mark Cuban is on the line. Shocked that a dot com billionaire would listen to sports talk radio, they put him on the air right away. Cuban laughed at the schtick impersonation and admitted that he was an everday, regular "P-1" listener to the station. He knew the names of both hosts, the producer and the impersonator. During the next five minutes, he answered all the hosts' questions and even said he'd be calling in frequently to take fans' questions as soon as the NBA approved his purchase of the team. At the end of his interview, he thanked the hosts for putting him on the air but added, "next time you impersonate me, at least try to get the accent right," and laughed. This clearly was not a planned bit, the hosts and producer genuinely were surprised that he would call up the station.

As much grief as he takes for some of his comments and his complaining about NBA officiating, Cuban desperately wants the Mavericks to win the NBA finals and would give his left nut to make it happen. He also has a brilliant business mind and knows a successful business has to spend money to make money.

Well said. Bascially, Mark Cuban has a brilliant business mind and the Mavs are his hobby. He will spend all and do anything he can to win a championship. He's also always been a big supporter of RMK. :D:

ClaudelSleptHere
07-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Lip

Lip, I think Cuban was actually born and raised in Pittsburgh. He just went to Indiana University.

rocky biddle
07-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I heard an interview with Cuban on Mancow a few years ago and he said he'd love to buy the White Sox. I remember it not only because I'm a Sox fan but because I thought if he was just playing to Chicago, he would've said the Cubs. Say what you want about the guy but I'd really like to see him and KW working together.

FedEx227
07-17-2005, 12:02 AM
I saw him at NikeTown on Michigan Ave. on Friday, and talked to him for a little while, hes really a cool guy, very down to earth, was wearing a normal t-shirt and some jean shorts, you wouldn't be able to tell hes a billionaire if you just walked by him (which about half the store did).