PDA

View Full Version : Tribune has Sox "Magic Number"

Irishsox1
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
What the hell is the Chicago Tribune reporting the White Sox magic number for? It's 66 games!....Why are they reporting this so early? My guess is to put pressure on the team. For example they've already done articles comparing the Sox to the 2003 Royals, then they did an article about the 1993 Giants and now they are starting the "Magic Number" stuff....in July! Plus, they failed to mention anywhere in the sports section Aaron Rowand's unbelievable play in center field and why is Morrissey still writing articles about the 3rd place Cubs?

The Tribune can't report on the White Sox or Cubs objectively.

sas1974
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I noticed that too. It's a complete joke, but of course it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone here.

And one slight adjustment on your post...Make that the "6th Place Cubs." The wildcard is the only race they're even remotely involved in.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
The Cubune needs to mind their own business. Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if they never wrote another Sox article again. They never wanted anything to do with the Sox before. What makes them think they can suddenly try to crash our party?

Tekijawa
07-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I've been counting down since 163... I wonder why it took them so long to catch up?

mantis1212
07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I gotta say, usual complaints about the Tribune are the oppostie of this.

Just think, what would have been the reaction on this board last year if they reported the Cubs magic number this early?

shoota
07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm glad the magic number will now be shown on a daily basis because I have no doubt that the Sox--baseball's best team--will win the AL Central.

I'm glad that Cubs fans have to see the Sox's magic number every day they read the paper.

patbooyah
07-15-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah- i don't think this is so bad... its just the tribunes way of getting onto the bandwagon real slow-like. hoping that nobody notices...

itsnotrequired
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Does anyone remember at what point in the season last year that the Tribune started publishing the Cubs "countdown to 100 victories" number? I feel it was even before the All-Star break.

cheeses_h_rice
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow, the tinfoil hats are in effect today.

Ever consider that this is actually a compliment to the team?

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Wow, the tinfoil hats are in effect today.

Ever consider that this is actually a compliment to the team?

Read that again. From the Cubune???????

mr_genius
07-15-2005, 04:12 PM
uhhh, why do you guys even read/buy the Tribune?

cheeses_h_rice
07-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Yes, from the Cubune. I'm sure they're afraid of being called out by Sox fans for not putting up a magic number countdown at some point, so why not stop with the beginning of the second half?

Jinxing the Sox is entirely a fabrication of paranoiac WSIers' minds, IMO.

Baby Fisk
07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Jinxing the Sox is entirely a fabrication of paranoiac WSIers' minds, IMO.
It's not so much a belief in jinxes, hexes, curses, etc. We look at that and it's like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown. So much garbage thrown at the Sox year round, now they suddenly want to be our friends?

SOXPHILE
07-15-2005, 04:33 PM
The fact that they put in the Magic Number isn't shocking or bad. It's just that I've never seen it so early in the season- JULY 15 ! Part of me says not to count our chickens before they hatch. But, I think because they are playing so well, -29 games over, 10 game lead- that it's good to see the Magic Number come into play this soon, hopefully meaning that it's time to start the countdown, and they can wrap it up early.

soxwon
07-15-2005, 06:09 PM
i see nothing wrong with it.

Podzilla_40
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
It's the Tribune. Is it so hard to use it's real name or do you feel the need to make a zinger at the Cubs with everything? It's as annoying as a Twin fan referring to us as the Whiney Sux, or some other "creative" play on words.

gosox41
07-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm glad the magic number will now be shown on a daily basis because I have no doubt that the Sox--baseball's best team--will win the AL Central.

I'm glad that Cubs fans have to see the Sox's magic number every day they read the paper.

Me too. We complain when the Trib does favorable things for the Cubs (Prior Watch, countdown to 100 wins) but now they're doing the same thing for the Sox.

As biased as the Tribune is, I don't have a problem with the Trib promoting how close the Sox are to winning the division. I'm surprised any Sox fan doesn't like this.

Bob

TornLabrum
07-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Me too. We complain when the Trib does favorable things for the Cubs (Prior Watch, countdown to 100 wins) but now they're doing the same thing for the Sox.

As biased as the Tribune is, I don't have a problem with the Trib promoting how close the Sox are to winning the division. I'm surprised any Sox fan doesn't like this.

Bob

My problem isn't specifically the Tribune. It's with even mentioning the magic number before we're within 30. Talk to me about magic numbers in August or September.

One other thought. With the obvious promotion of jinxes by the Tribune, could it be possible that the editors there think they are jinxing the Sox?

Dan H
07-16-2005, 10:01 AM
The Chicago papers ran a magic number for the Cubs in 1969 and looked what happened to them. I know there is no correlation, but it is a little early for magic numbers. I prefer waiting until Sept. 1 before any countdowns. I just like to take one thing at a time. First, let the Sox take care and Cleveland and Detroit and truly turn this into a two-team race. Then we can start counting if we want to start this early.

Hangar18
07-16-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah- i don't think this is so bad... its just the tribunes way of getting onto the bandwagon real slow-like. hoping that nobody notices...

YUP, thats EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that. The Cubune trying to snneeeeeeeeeak very quietly.............onto the SOX Championship Bus.......
thru the ..........back exit dooor.........shhhhhhhhhhh.........thats it..........
slip right.........over to...........this seat ........in the back ..........so it looks like......we were here the whole........time........yeah........Weve been on board.......the whole time

voodoochile
07-16-2005, 10:27 AM
It's the Tribune. Is it so hard to use it's real name or do you feel the need to make a zinger at the Cubs with everything? It's as annoying as a Twin fan referring to us as the Whiney Sux, or some other "creative" play on words.

translation: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

soxwon
07-16-2005, 11:45 AM
It's not a big deal.
Why do we analyze every little thing?

Some may say it's too early!!!!
it will jinx things!!!!

i for one know what will happen
COME ON SAY IT LOUDLY
SOX WILL WIN THE DIVISION

SCREAM IT OUT LOUD
you want to say it, but are scared.

well im not
THE SOX WILL WIN THE DIVISION AND GO ON TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!

Magic number rules######
and the cubune beat us to it.
its high time they woke up.

now eveybody- all together now!!!
SOX RULE THE CENTRAL DIVISION
IT"S OURS.

im exstatic, start the party.
The PROUD THE FEW THE WHITE SOX!!!

FarWestChicago
07-16-2005, 12:02 PM
It's the Tribune. Is it so hard to use it's real name or do you feel the need to make a zinger at the Cubs with everything? It's as annoying as a Twin fan referring to us as the Whiney Sux, or some other "creative" play on words.:crossdresser

fquaye149
07-16-2005, 12:38 PM

Mark Gonzales, is that you?