PDA

View Full Version : Have we had a "Defining Moment" Yet?

Tekijawa
07-15-2005, 01:57 PM
In 2000 The fight was the "defining moment" where you could just feel the team come together and you knew from here on out things were going to be special. Last year it was "The Burke/Hunter" Incident where you could feel the Colapse of the team and see that Minnesota knew that the division was theirs at that point... I've been trying to think about this year so far and I can't think of one specific moment where you could feel that this was one special season. There are a Bunch that come close, Pierzynski's HR to come back against the EDIT: DODGERS, Numerous come from behinds, and some great plays to stop a big inning. I can't think of one specific moment where I could say, yeah that's it... are we still waiting for it or was I up getting a beverage while it happened?

RallyBowl
07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
:walkoff:

Need I say more?

Tekijawa
07-15-2005, 02:04 PM

Need I say more?

That's the closest I could come up with too. I might have to agree with you!

Iwritecode
07-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Opening day. You could just tell that this year would be special...

IlliniSox
07-15-2005, 02:05 PM
In 2000 The fight was the "defining moment" where you could just feel the team come together and you knew from here on out things were going to be special. Last year it was "The Burke/Hunter" Incident where you could feel the Colapse of the team and see that Minnesota knew that the division was theirs at that point... I've been trying to think about this year so far and I can't think of one specific moment where you could feel that this was one special season. There are a Bunch that come close, Pierzynski's HR to come back against the Angels, Numerous come from behinds, and some great plays to stop a big inning. I can't think of one specific moment where I could say, yeah that's it... are we still waiting for it or was I up getting a beverage while it happened?

The most underrated moment, for me at least, was Garcia's retaliation against the cubs (NOT just because it was the cubs, but because it was the Sox' most closely watched and scrutinized series). It was basically, 'you hit our guy, we're going right back at your man'. Freddie drilled their MVP and got back to work. No nonsense anywhere between the lines with this team.

BigEdWalsh
07-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Need I say more?

Agreed. That was it, what a great moment!

Brian26
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
AJ is right up there against the Dodgers, or Ross Gload spearing that grounder down the line and the flip to Shingo to hold onto Buehrle's 1-0 Opening Day masterpiece.

Sxy Mofo
07-15-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd have to go with Timo's hit vs.... I'm completely drawing a blank... the angels? On memorial day.

Sox were up in the game, sox blew the lead in the 9th, completly destroying my memorial day. I had all but given up on the game, completely depressed. But you know who didn't give up? The sox. "Get down! It will!"

ShoelessJoeS
07-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Need I say more?
exactly what i was thinking, that has to be THE moment thus far

edit: i also think timos two-rbi single in the ninth on memorial day is another defining moment, talk about a team with heart...:D:

miker
07-15-2005, 02:19 PM
A lot of "defining moments" to choose from -- a sure sign of a special season.

Maybe our moment is still to come?

batmanZoSo
07-15-2005, 02:43 PM
There are always several in a great season. In 2000, the fight and the sweep of the Indians and Yankees. Also, the Abbott walk-off against Minnesota that really woke the team up.

This year you have the Dodger game and I really felt the second game of the year when we came back against Wickman in the 9th and won it was big. That's the game that really made me feel good about this team, and yet so early on in the year.

CHISOXFAN13
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd have to go with Timo's hit vs.... I'm completely drawing a blank... the angels? On memorial day.

Sox were up in the game, sox blew the lead in the 9th, completly destroying my memorial day. I had all but given up on the game, completely depressed. But you know who didn't give up? The sox. "Get down! It will!"

That was the most dissapointed I think I have ever been following a win. The Sox played bad baseball, but fortunately, rallied to win it.

It's the A.J. bomb, hands down.

downstairs
07-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Frank Thomas fielding the final ground ball in St Louis to win the World Series.

SoxFanTillDeath
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Defining moment of the season?

:hawk

"The pitch...The Sox Win The Series!!!"

Baby Fisk
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
It should be something symbolic of the entire pitching staff this year. Perhaps that moment came when we all looked at our watches and realized that Buehrle had just pitched a game in 1:39. YEAH DAMN!

DenverSock
07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Not every year is like that. I think the day to day continuing grind is what has defined this year so far.

Sxy Mofo
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
That was the most dissapointed I think I have ever been following a win. The Sox played bad baseball, but fortunately, rallied to win it.

It's the A.J. bomb, hands down.

I don't know why, I was not disappointed in the least after the game, i was elated. Perhaps because of the roller coaster of emotion, going from fairly certain win, to fairly certain loss to win. The top of the ninth inning of that game made me sick.

That's the sign of a good team though. Can win when not playing their best baseball and after having their hearts ripped out. And most importantly, never believe a game is unwinnable.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Frank Thomas hitting a grand slam to win the WS.

CHISOXFAN13
07-15-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't know why, I was not disappointed in the least after the game, i was elated. Perhaps because of the roller coaster of emotion, going from fairly certain win, to fairly certain loss to win. The top of the ninth inning of that game made me sick.

That's the sign of a good team though. Can win when not playing their best baseball and after having their hearts ripped out. And most importantly, never believe a game is unwinnable.

I was excited, but so drained. It shouldn't have come down to that is all I'm saying. That's why I'm having a hard time picking that over the Dodgers win where we came out of nowhere to win it.

PorkChopExpress
07-15-2005, 03:05 PM
What about Garland's big K's in the Baltimore game when that offense was the most potent in the league and Garland got in a little trouble and gassed (actually I believe it was a change-up) Tejada.

skobabe8
07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I vote for the A.J. The moment made by the guy that has been beating us all these years comes to the south side and shows us how its done.

clean
07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I was at the AJ game and it was cool but i thought everything else that happened in that inning was actually more important than the HR. The game was already tied at that point. Aaron, Willie, Carl, each one of those moments were at least, if not more important. I think this team will have a "defining moment", it just hasn't happened yet.:o:

na_na_na_na
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Hands down the AJ vs. the Dodgers moment is the defining moment so far. Show how this team refuses to quit and gets runs at the right time.

Most exciting sporting moment I've ever been at.

SOXfnNlansing
07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Arow's bomb in SD was a big moment for me

Rocky Soprano
07-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Frank Thomas fielding the final ground ball in St Louis to win the World Series.

I rather win at home. :D:

The Racehorse
07-15-2005, 04:25 PM
There's been so many close games & exciting wins...

I think we've had 58 defining moments... here's hoping for another 58 or more of those moments. :gulp:

:bandance:

pdimas
07-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Although AJ's blast is up there I think I'm gonna go with the Scotty Pods All Star Selection. You could just see that team chemistry and could feel everybody the fans and team pull together for Scotty. Then when it was announced the team stayed back for Scotty and the stadium went nuts as he took the field alone. And man did it feel damn good knowing how the baseball world was gonna be in shock with the selection and showing them that the White Sox do have fans that care. There was a real sense of connection with the fans. It felt so great to be there. It just had that touch of magic. You could just feel how special this team and this season are.

GregoryEtc
07-15-2005, 04:41 PM
I rather win at home. :D:

We'll have home field advantage.... so we'll win it on the road (is it 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1 in the WS?) Either way, we'll win in 4.

AJ gets my vote. Just an amazing home run in front of a full house in the retro 59 WS Go-Go unis after a frustrating foul ball. Lots of symbolism there if you ask me. I've got it tivo'd and I've watched it at least 2 dozen times (usually after a loss to cheer me up).

pudge
07-15-2005, 05:18 PM
For me essentially it's the Dodgers series - two comeback wins and a series sweep, while Minny started struggling... that week pretty much did if, we do indeed go on to win the division.

34 Inch Stick
07-15-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't discount the AJ homer. However, it happened well after the team had already defined itself.

How about the Oakland game where Dye played short and Widger played third. Although not a significant moment it showed the teams willingness to WIN OR DIE TRYING.

SoxFan76
07-15-2005, 05:28 PM
The little moments stand out to me. Like Gload making that diving stop on Opening Day, or even as recently as last night when Rowand ran over from center field to save his teammate. It just shows you what this team is about.

Of course those walk offs are always nice too! I was there on Memorial Day, and I was actually the only Sox fan around when A.J. hit that shot. I was at a mini family reunion you could call it, but on my mom's side. They are all Cub fans. So I was going nuts all by myself. haha

np1000
07-15-2005, 06:59 PM
AJ's home run.....i was so jacked up i got a sound file of it any one want it just e-mail me......np1000@adelphia.net

voodoochile
07-15-2005, 08:18 PM
The AJ walkoff must have been way cool to watch. I know I loved reading the postgame thread afterwards, but for me, the defining moment of this season has been the entire thing. This team is more special because they keep finding ways to win. They don't have a signature reason why they are so good, they just are. They are balanced with great pitching, good fundamental hitting and excellent speed and defense.

If I have to pick, I'd say each and every one of the 27 wins against the ALC are my defining moments. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat and let the chips fall where they may...

Banix12
07-15-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm going to say that Royals game in Chicago where Greinke was dealing and Sisco came in and the sox ended up winning when they scored two runs when they walked in a pair of runs.

The pitching held down the opponent and the sox found a new way to score just enough to win.

gobears1987
07-15-2005, 09:09 PM
How come no one has mentioned the 2nd game? Down 3-0 in the 9th, Wickman in. Everett SIngles, Paulie homers, 3-2 Tribe. Then Dye ties it with a homer, and the Sox end up winning it that inning.

voodoochile
07-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I remember the game against the Royals in KC early in the year. Game tied, bottom of the ninth, 1 out bases loaded and AJ gives up a passed ball and the Sox still won the game...

I want Mags back
07-15-2005, 10:04 PM

Right on. I was in left. It seemed like the ball dropped right in front of me, and we went nuts. But just think how if they didnt blow the lead, it wouldnt of happend. Or if Franks shot was 2 feet to the left, I was also right in front of that

Stroker Ace
07-15-2005, 10:08 PM

Need I say more?I would have to say that and Opening Day.

Stroker Ace
07-15-2005, 10:21 PM
An honorable mention to Buehrle no hitting the Mariners 2-9. DAMN YOU ICHIRO!

Bisco Stu
07-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Not till we win the ALDS--minimum. I've been through 83/93/00 with this team and I'm tired of 1 series and see ya in the spring.

Wirtzsucks19
07-15-2005, 10:31 PM
having Pods Voted to the All-star game and realizing that we are behinf this team 100%

MRKARNO
07-15-2005, 10:36 PM
I remember the game against the Royals in KC early in the year. Game tied, bottom of the ninth, 1 out bases loaded and AJ gives up a passed ball and the Sox still won the game...

:hawk

"Give it to him and you got him......YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:DJ

"Thank you very much!"

mikesouthside
07-15-2005, 11:18 PM
AJ...without a doubt....that game was BORING ....until bottom of the 9th. Sitting in LF that day. Sweet Mercy !!!

Fake Chet Lemon
07-16-2005, 12:12 AM
The bottom of the 9th inning of home game #2 against Cleveland.

We hadn't done jack all day. Then Konerko and Dye hit bombs and Uribe wins it with a sac fly. You knew early that this team was special. Me being there with 7,000 of my closest friends makes me a little biased, but come on. I know it's way early for a defining moment, but that was unreal and it put some belief in us and more importantly the team.

slobes
07-16-2005, 12:15 AM
How come no one has mentioned the 2nd game? Down 3-0 in the 9th, Wickman in. Everett SIngles, Paulie homers, 3-2 Tribe. Then Dye ties it with a homer, and the Sox end up winning it that inning.

This game set the stage for many other great games to come. It showed the White Sox always have a chance to come back, no matter how much they're down by.

Optipessimism
07-16-2005, 05:29 AM
Personally, I don't think this team has shown us anything yet, and this is coming from a pessimist (look at my screen name). The only thing they have shown is that they can't be counted out. The postseason will tell what they are made of, and I have a gut feeling they are going to be good and the whole world will have to take notice of that whether they like it or not.

SOXSINCE'70
07-16-2005, 09:04 AM

Need I say more?

On my list,that's #1,too.

That HR capped the Sox scoring 4 runs with 2 outs in the
bottom of the 9th for a 5-3 win.:bandance: :bandance:

fusillirob1983
07-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I completely agree with all those, but I also agree with SoxFan76, who said it's some of the little things that show the team will back each other up and have that "win or die trying" attitude. The two in particular I'm thinking of came in Garland's complete game shutout of Detroit where he threw behind Rondell White and stared the guy down. It seemed like White didn't want to bat the rest of the game. The other was against KC when Marte saved us from losing to the Royals with his diving tag at the plate.