PDA

View Full Version : September 17 = no TV

Iwritecode
07-15-2005, 01:37 PM
I just noticed on the Cubune's website that they have the Sox magic # in the corner. As I was taking a look at the schedule I noticed the NO TV on September 17. IIRC, it's because they have a college football game in the humpdome that night or something crazy like that...

I hate to look too far ahead but this question popped into my head: What if the Sox magic # is down to 2 on that day? Could the Sox conceivably clinch the division on a day when there is no tv coverage??

mike squires
07-15-2005, 01:41 PM
That would be a disaster. I don't think that can happen. Wouldn't WGN have some sort of coverage or maybe they would eventually pick the game up. That is my biggest fear. Them clinching it on a day they are on WCIU and I wouldn't be able to see it.:o:

ramorgan1
07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm bringing my girlfriend up to Minnesota for the game that day so we'll be there for a clincher if it's two! :supernana:

Kevin
07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey, they listened to the '59 clincher on the radio...

hawkjt
07-15-2005, 01:47 PM
This is a ridiculous situation that the twinkies have allowed to occur. The Gopers play that night and with national broadcast on Fox ,the sox cannot be shown. So the sox end up playing an important game in the am with no tv. This is on the twins and they should be penalized for it. The sox have consistently had the worst schedule in MLB due to the central location. 6 trips to the coast for like 21 games? Playing oakland six in their park every year. If their is a hole in a west coast team schedule you can count of MLB to say- just send the sox. for a three game series and then to detroit or texas. I am so pissed about this sept game.

patbooyah
07-15-2005, 01:52 PM
if there is a chance that the sox clinch on that day i'm going to be in minnesota.

i hope it happens on a weekend so that i can see it in person.

MUScholar21
07-15-2005, 01:53 PM
They are legally bound to not show it on TV. There is something to do with broadcast rights, and because of the time of the game (they are playing at some ridiculous time, I think 10:30a) and Major League Baseball's rules prevent them from showing the game. Someone else might be able to help a bit more, but I remember this being discussed at some point on ESPN1000 or some other news outlet.

ewokpelts
07-15-2005, 01:56 PM
IF it's a meaningful game, you can bet that fox will show it.....let's just hope it dosent go extra innings, just ask the twinkies and tribe last year.....let's just say the gophers get thier way, even though mlb and ncaa knew about these dates years inadvance
Gene

zach23
07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
I just noticed on the Cubune's website that they have the Sox magic # in the corner. As I was taking a look at the schedule I noticed the NO TV on September 17. IIRC, it's because they have a college football game in the humpdome that night or something crazy like that...

I hate to look too far ahead but this question popped into my head: What if the Sox magic # is down to 2 on that day? Could the Sox conceivably clinch the division on a day when there is no tv coverage??

Funny, they clinched in 1983 on September 17th. I remember it well because I was 16 and had to go to my cousin's wedding. I lived in Bridgeport at the time and wanted to at least go outside the park if I couldn't find a way to get a ticket in, but my mom made me go to the wedding. And the kicker was my cousin married a cub fan. I did miss all the family pictures though because I was outside in the parking lot listening to it on the radio in my brother-in-law's car.
To this day I always remind my mom when that anniversary is coming up. I think that is the only wedding anniversary I remember besides my own. My wife is sick of hearing me bitch about September 17th, 1983 every year.

It will be real strange if they do clinch a division title on that date, and it will suck if I can't see it on t.v.

ShoelessJoeS
07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
That would be a disaster. I don't think that can happen. Wouldn't WGN have some sort of coverage or maybe they would eventually pick the game up. That is my biggest fear. Them clinching it on a day they are on WCIU and I wouldn't be able to see it.:o:
i know what you mean, i absolutely dread the WCIU games....stupid central illinois

Brian26
07-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Could the Sox conceivably clinch the division on a day when there is no tv coverage??

Would never happen. They'll be on somewhere.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
It would make sense for FOX to pick it up. If not, I'm hoping for a rain delay or something to postpone the game to Sunday so they'll have to play a doubleheader on TV. :wink:

Kogs35
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Would never happen. They'll be on somewhere.

agreed, if it could be the clinching game it will be on tv

Hitmen77
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
We'd need a 16 game lead (if i'm figuring this correctly) on 9/17 to clinch. It's possible, but I'll worry about it in September.

The 2000 clincher timing was a disappointment. First of all the Sox were in MN and any game under the HumpDome is depressing to watch. Second, the Sox clinched before or after a game by having Cleveland lose to some other opponent - so there really was no on-the-field celebration.

Kogs35
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
It would make sense for FOX to pick it up. If not, I'm hoping for a rain delay or something to postpone the game to Sunday so they'll have to play a doubleheader on TV. :wink:

how could the baggydome have a raindelay lol?

Kevin
07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Cubs play the Cards that day at 12:20 on FOX. UGh.

zach61
07-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Funny, they clinched in 1983 on September 17th. I remember it well because I was 16 and had to go to my cousin's wedding. I lived in Bridgeport at the time and wanted to at least go outside the park if I couldn't find a way to get a ticket in, but my mom made me go to the wedding. And the kicker was my cousin married a cub fan. I did miss all the family pictures though because I was outside in the parking lot listening to it on the radio in my brother-in-law's car.
To this day I always remind my mom when that anniversary is coming up. I think that is the only wedding anniversary I remember besides my own. My wife is sick of hearing me bitch about September 17th, 1983 every year.

It will be real strange if they do clinch a division title on that date, and it will suck if I can't see it on t.v.

For all the pain and suffering this has caused you, I wonder if you could sue him now for his cub season tickets and then sell them to pay for your Sox season tickets.

Iwritecode
07-15-2005, 02:19 PM
We'd need a 16 game lead (if i'm figuring this correctly) on 9/17 to clinch. It's possible, but I'll worry about it in September.

The 2000 clincher timing was a disappointment. First of all the Sox were in MN and any game under the HumpDome is depressing to watch. Second, the Sox clinched before or after a game by having Cleveland lose to some other opponent - so there really was no on-the-field celebration.

Cleveland had already lost by the time Burn (I know that's spelled wrong) blew the game.

It was kinda odd seeing the Twins celebrate a walk-off homerun at the same time the Sox were celebrating a divsion championship.

SOXfnNlansing
07-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I've been watching alot of MLB.TV this summer and I've noticed some day games are 'MLB.TV' exclusives. One game was MN @ DET so I turned it on. It was the ball park camera (only one camera) and 2 lame MLB announcers (didn't know squat about either team). No commercials or graphics..... they would zoom to the score board at the end of an inning to show the score. Maybe that's what they'll do in that Sox game in Sept. I don't know if they can black that game out since it's not available anywhere else.

throwsoftjax
07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I've been watching alot of MLB.TV this summer and I've noticed some day games are 'MLB.TV' exclusives. One game was MN @ DET so I turned it on. It was the ball park camera (only one camera) and 2 lame MLB announcers (didn't know squat about either team). No commercials or graphics..... they would zoom to the score board at the end of an inning to show the score. Maybe that's what they'll do in that Sox game in Sept. I don't know if they can black that game out since it's not available anywhere else.

if they do that they should show it free b/c that's just ridiculous... no tv coverage for a division clincher game? that's insanly stupid because that'll bring in high ratings. it just doesn't make sense at all not to show it on tv!

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 02:28 PM

Third, Jeff and I were there and had to drive back to Joliet, so we didn't stick around for when the Sox came out, and we still didn't get back until 1:30 a.m. I WAS up bright and early at 4:30 a.m. to drive to work, though.

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 02:30 PM
if they do that they should show it free b/c that's just ridiculous... no tv coverage for a division clincher game? that's insanly stupid because that'll bring in high ratings. it just doesn't make sense at all not to show it on tv!

Um...I don't think that it has been pre-deterimined that this will be the clincher. I think you've got your panties in a bunch a bit prematurely here.

Goose
07-15-2005, 02:43 PM

:?:

DenverSock
07-15-2005, 02:49 PM
This is exactly what I was complaining about.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
how could the baggydome have a raindelay lol?:?:
Don't worry..I know it's at the dome, hence the winking smiley. I'm just hoping that awful roof would go away or something. :D:

shes
07-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Would it not make more sense to play a day/night DH on Friday and televise both of those games? Would it be possible to make that change to the schedule now, or is it too late?

anewman35
07-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Would it not make more sense to play a day/night DH on Friday and televise both of those games? Would it be possible to make that change to the schedule now, or is it too late?

Um. It would be possible, but why would the Twins care? They have plenty of games not televisied (lots of teams do, we're just lucky to have every game on TV), so it's no big deal to them. And they aren't going to change their schedule just so we can see the game.

shes
07-15-2005, 04:37 PM
From the Twins POV: if on September 17, they are within 2-5 games, wouldn't they want to televise it? I'm not suggesting they change the schedule for Sox fans -- that would be ludicrous -- but for their own. Would their fans not be outraged to hear that they don't get to watch a meaningful game b/c ownership just doesn't care?

anewman35
07-15-2005, 05:13 PM
From the Twins POV: if on September 17, they are within 2-5 games, wouldn't they want to televise it? I'm not suggesting they change the schedule for Sox fans -- that would be ludicrous -- but for their own. Would their fans not be outraged to hear that they don't get to watch a meaningful game b/c ownership just doesn't care?

What makes you think that "ownership just doesn't care" (besides the obvious fact that their ownership are just jerks in general)? They have to have the game early because of a college game that night, it's not like they're not allowing it to be televised on purpose.

I don't know if MLB has a say, but I'd have to think they wouldn't approve a day-night double header just so a game could be on TV, and I'd also think that the Twins would get a much higher attendance on Saturday morning (as opposed to Friday afternoon). And if they changed the game NOW, they're going to have a lot of upset Saturday ticketholders.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
What could happen is what did happen in 1983. WGN can request the right to show say the 9th inning and or the postgame celebration, ditto for Comcast Sports Chicago.

In 1983 SportsVision was showing the clinching game but WGN got the right to show the end and postgame as well. That's how I saw it on tape after I did my sports show that night in Louisiana. By the way I still have that tape!

I'm assuming if such a thing looked like it was going to happen (and I think the Sox clinching that date is a long shot...) I'm sure one of the Chicago stations would make the move.

Lip

TheOldRoman
07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
:reinsy
"This is a preview of things to come. I have been takling to my good friend Bill, and he told me the best way to increase attendance is to black out all home games."

bigfoot
07-15-2005, 07:35 PM

Nope, I'm doing my best "rain dance" and the Heavens will open up and drown the Urinal!!!!!!!:bandance:

Fox will then use the Sox/Twinkie game as the "back-up" :supernana:

Baseballfan22
07-15-2005, 07:51 PM
that's why we have radio:dtroll::dtroll:

I want Mags back
07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
They are legally bound to not show it on TV. There is something to do with broadcast rights, and because of the time of the game (they are playing at some ridiculous time, I think 10:30a) and Major League Baseball's rules prevent them from showing the game. Someone else might be able to help a bit more, but I remember this being discussed at some point on ESPN1000 or some other news outlet.

Its not time, its because FOX has a game on, and National Broadcasts take presendence over any local games. The Bulls had 2 sunday games this year that werent on because of ABC games. Broadcast Rules Suck

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Are things going so well right now that the Dark Clouds have to look all the way ahead to September 17 to find something about which to worry?

With this kind of pedal to the metal showing they have shown busting out of the All-Star Break, if the Sox keep it up by beating up on the rest of the Central during August and the first half of September, that non-televised game on Sept. 17 may be meaningless! The Sox may clinch before then!!!!

I want Mags back
07-15-2005, 10:19 PM

http://www.emu.edu/students/mjz977/images/metrodome.jpg

anewman35
07-16-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.emu.edu/students/mjz977/images/metrodome.jpg

Games in domes HAVE been rained out before, though. I'm pretty sure this was at the Astrodome, they canceled a game because all the streets were flooded and nobody could get to the game. So, it's possible, although not very likely.

Iwritecode
07-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Games in domes HAVE been rained out before, though. I'm pretty sure this was at the Astrodome, they canceled a game because all the streets were flooded and nobody could get to the game. So, it's possible, although not very likely.

I've heard of a rain delay at a retractable dome (Miller Park?) before because they didn't get the roof closed fast enough. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
07-16-2005, 03:53 AM
I've heard of a rain delay at a retractable dome (Miller Park?) before because they didn't get the roof closed fast enough. :cool:

I'm shocked you didn't mention the one in Toronto a year or two ago where DJ just went off on the City of Toronto...Quite comical!

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
It happened a few years ago when the Sox were at SkyDome facing the Blue Jays. I think that was the first ever rain delay in SkyDome history. Hawk and DJ were having a riot over it.

chisoxfanatic
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
It happened a few years ago when the Sox were at SkyDome facing the Blue Jays. I think that was the first ever rain delay in SkyDome history. Hawk and DJ were having a riot over it.

Jinx!!! :D:

Hangar18
07-16-2005, 10:00 AM

If this were the Big BLue Machine in this position, it would be a non-issue.
I noticed this game also ........ and asked many Twink fans why this could be,
but they didnt notice either. Very stupid scheduling ........
But I will be there that weekend, because I believe something special will
happen that weekend for our SOX

Hangar18
07-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Well, we know what game is more important in the grand scheme of things
and the way the Media thinks ...........
*Potential clinching game by 1st Place WHITE SOX vs Twins
*Meaningless 3rd place Cubs game vs their media fueled "rival" Cardinals

If you said Cardinal Cub game ....your correct!!!

dcb33
07-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Check out what the Twins are doing before the game that day:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=min&m=9&y=2005

Saturday September 17, 2005
Multiple Matrimony Ceremony (83 couples will be married on-the-field pregame)

Why would anyone want to get married in that dump?

anewman35
07-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Well, we know what game is more important in the grand scheme of things
and the way the Media thinks ...........
*Potential clinching game by 1st Place WHITE SOX vs Twins
*Meaningless 3rd place Cubs game vs their media fueled "rival" Cardinals

If you said Cardinal Cub game ....your correct!!!

This has nothing to do with it. They want to start the game at 11:10 so that they can finish it in time and not have to finish it the next day (like happened once last year). Fox doesn't show baseball games that early. What's hard to understand about it?

TornLabrum
07-16-2005, 11:00 AM
This has nothing to do with it. They want to start the game at 11:10 so that they can finish it in time and not have to finish it the next day (like happened once last year). Fox doesn't show baseball games that early. What's hard to understand about it?

Please, look at whom you're talking to. Henry, I love ya, but your tinfoil helmet is on too tight.

ewokpelts
07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
my question is: why could they schedule this better? the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW WHERE THE TWINS HAVE TO PLAY IN THE SAME DAY AS SOME DUMB COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM? didnt they learn thier lesson last year? it's not like minor lea..sorry college....football teams dont schedule YEARS in advance. You'd think the 3 building tennants would agree on how not to screw up each other in scheduling

Gene

Iwritecode
07-16-2005, 12:16 PM

OK, it was SkyDome, not Miller Park... :redface:

EdHerman12
07-16-2005, 12:44 PM
With all due repect to Alumni of the Unniversity of Minnesota....

:pee Golden Gophers

GO SOX!:gulp:

Lip Man 1
07-16-2005, 12:58 PM
It has happened for longer then two years, practically every season the Twins play a very early Saturday game.

Lip

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Why can't these backwater, minor-league-market rubes play football outside? As long as it's not the dead of winter (which arrives well after September), football in a dome makes about as much sense as hockey in a swimming pool.

BeeBeeRichard
07-16-2005, 03:33 PM
did a little digging around on mlb.tv. they have an archive for all of the games this year and last year that were available, including (surprisingly) the Saturday, Sept. 4 game KC @ Min (KC@Min), 11:10 am start. On mlb.tv it would have been subject to the national blackout for Saturday afternoons during Fox telecasts, meaning not available in the US, territories such as Guam and a few other countries such as South Korea. If the 9/17 Sox/Twins game is available on mlb.tv (likely with the one-camera telecast that someone referenced here for a recent Tigers game), there are two possible workarounds, depending on how mlb.tv blacks out games: 1) have someone outside the US use their credit card to purchase mlb.tv for you for the day and give you the user name/password (this is if mlb.tv sets its blackout based on the zip code/country on the buyer's credit card); or 2) set up an IP proxy so that it looks like you're accessing mlb.tv from another IP identified as being from another country (not sure exactly how this is done, but I'm told it's relatively simple) (this method would work if blackouts are based on your IP address exclusively, without regard to the credit card zip code). Interestingly, on a day like today, mlb.tv shows all the afternoon games as being available, but blacked out nationally. On any normal Saturday such as this, one of these methods should allow you to wacth all the other game rather than the Scrubs game that's shown half the time. I'd be interested to see if any mlb.tv subscribers can see what kind of broadcast was offered last year on 9/4 from Minnesota. The archive is here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv_archives.jsp?ymd=20040904#grid

Here's today's schedule, where you can see all the Sat afternoon national blackouts:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

soxruleEP
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM

The Twins play in a domed piece of excrement.

TDog
07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
If they have to play college football in the home stadium of the Twinks (and really it's criminal that state universities are giving scholarships to football players when hard working students can't get them), the Twinks can move that series to Chicago where, at least at 35th at the Dan Ryan, they have their priorities straight.