PDA

View Full Version : From the Southtown...

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 09:37 AM
CLOSE CALL: Timo Perez likely saved his job with his recent stretch of strong play. Manager Ozzie Guillen admitted Thursday that Perez was likely on his way out the door so Ross Gload could return from the disabled list.

''Timo has a job here that is not easy to do: come off the bench and get base hits,'' Guillen said. ''Obviously, his average is not what it was last year. Last year, Timo got more at-bats. If we're going to make that decision, we have to be really, really careful. We'll need Ross Gload really bad here.''

Perez is batting .250 with two home runs and nine RBI, but he is 6-for-10 with three doubles during a current four-game hitting streak.

I think everyone here knows what else was being said here. Willie Harris, you gawn!

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2005, 10:09 AM
I think everyone hear knows what else was being said here. Willie Harris, you gawn!

Harris needs to go to Charlotte and learn to play shortstop by starting there every single day.

Also, Harris needs to bat first or second for Charlotte with specific orders to bunt during every single at bat as long as there are fewer than two strikes. When there are two strikes on him and runners on base, he needs to hit the ball to the right side of the infield, between the first baseman and the second baseman. He also needs to learn how to read pitchers and learn to steal bases.

The only way he's going to be a valuable major leaguer is if he learns to bunt for hits or to move runners over, to execute the hit and run, to steal bases and to play both middle infield positions flawlessly.

JimH
07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Harris needs to go to Charlotte and learn to play shortstop by starting there every single day.

Also, Harris needs to bat first or second for Charlotte with specific orders to bunt during every single at bat as long as there are fewer than two strikes. When there are two strikes on him and runners on base, he needs to hit the ball to the right side of the infield, between the first baseman and the second baseman. He also needs to learn how to read pitchers and learn to steal bases.

The only way he's going to be a valuable major leaguer is if he learns to bunt for hits or to move runners over, to execute the hit and run, to steal bases and to play both middle infield positions flawlessly.

That's one heck of a lot to learn. Maybe they should just cut the cord on Harris and acquire a better player for a bench role.

Irishsox1
07-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Willie needs to learn how to bunt and how to steal bases. He is very fast, but he has trouble reading the pitchers moves.

Other than that, Pablo Ozuno is the reason Willie is getting the heave-ho. Pablo can play anywhere, can hit and can steal bases.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2005, 10:51 AM
That's one heck of a lot to learn. Maybe they should just cut the cord on Harris and acquire a better player for a bench role.

Maybe so. Perhaps he won't have mastered all of that until 2007. That's fine as long as the Sox have Iguchi manning second base.

JimH
07-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Maybe so. Perhaps he won't have mastered all of that until 2007. That's fine as long as the Sox have Iguchi manning second base.

I totally agree he needs to master all the skills you listed in your post. My question is, he's 27 and has been playing pro for quite awhile, why hasn't he figured things out and improved on the key attributes he needs to remain a major leaguer?

It's not a question that can readily be answered, but I suspect if he hasn't done it up to now, it's questionable he can in the future.

With Harris, it seems he just does not have baseball smarts. Raw talent, yes. But that only goes so far when he's asked to do the little things and execute.

In 3 years, I think we'll see the likes of Chris Getz vs. a retooled Willie Harris.

Randar68
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
In 3 years, I think we'll see the likes of Chris Getz vs. a retooled Willie Harris.

Harris won't be here any longer if he's not playing regularly in the majors. That's a lot of expectation to place on a kid with only a couple dozen pro games under his belt...

3 years from now Valido, Lopez and Andy Gonzalez could all be ready to play somewhere on the infield and if Josh Fields isn't already playing in the majors everyday somewhere, he'd be in Borchard-territory at that point.

I have the least confidence in Lopez's bat and Gonzalez's glove, but Valido is coming fast. Nowhere to play him in AA right now, but he should be moving up if at all possible. Lopez has been rushed due to his glove, and it has cost him a lot in terms of development at the plate IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Harris won't be here any longer if he's not playing regularly in the majors. That's a lot of expectation to place on a kid with only a couple dozen pro games under his belt...

3 years from now Valido, Lopez and Andy Gonzalez could all be ready to play somewhere on the infield and if Josh Fields isn't already playing in the majors everyday somewhere, he'd be in Borchard-territory at that point.

I have the least confidence in Lopez's bat and Gonzalez's glove, but Valido is coming fast. Nowhere to play him in AA right now, but he should be moving up if at all possible. Lopez has been rushed due to his glove, and it has cost him a lot in terms of development at the plate IMO.

Here's a question that's sure to take this to "Minor Observations," but that's OK with me:

So what you are saying is that forecasted from this point, the Sox middle infield picture looks pretty rosy for 2008?

maurice
07-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Willie Harris, you gawn!

Or not.

ode to veeck
07-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Or not.

One thing's for sure, good thing JM the tinkerer isn't here to play with these.