PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Fire Sale!

Madvora
07-15-2005, 09:24 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Lot's of rumors coming out today..

The Phillies are ready to dump 1B Jim Thome and other players as well, says USA Today. Just about everyone on the team is available, the newspaper said, which could lead to a massive bidding war for closer Billy Wagner.

Jim Thome? Hmmm.....

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 09:26 AM

The Phillies are ready to dump 1B Jim Thome and other players as well, says USA Today. Just about everyone on the team is available, the newspaper said, which could lead to a massive bidding war for closer Billy Wagner.

Jim Thome? Hmmm.....

That's not surprising. The Phillies have a young first baseman named Ryan Howard, who should be around for the next decade or so.

Madvora
07-15-2005, 09:28 AM
That's not surprising. The Phillies have a young first baseman named Ryan Howard, who should be around for the next decade or so.
Anyone know what Thome's contract status is?

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Anyone know what Thome's contract status is?

I just know that he's owed a lot of money, and given his recent injury problems, it may be hard for the Phillies to find a taker for him. It's really too bad he can't play third base anymore. :cool:

Madvora
07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Holy crap! I'm really outdated on the Thome news.

193 AB, .207 AVG, 7 HR, 30 RBI

Jim Thome (elbow) suffered a setback during his rehab on Sunday. "He got a little pain in the elbow, but that's to be expected when you have tendinitis," manager Charlie Manuel told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It just means it hasn't completely healed; he didn't think it was a big deal."
(Updated 07/11/2005).

Thome ended his batting practice session earlier due to the pain, but the team is still hopeful he will be able to return some time before the end of July. He is eligible to come off of the 15-day disabled list on Saturday, but it is more likely he will go on a minor-league rehab assignment before coming back. (Updated 07/11/2005).

I'd still like to keep him out of the AL Central

samram
07-15-2005, 09:48 AM

I doubt he'd end up in the Central. Cleveland has Haffner, Minnesota has Morneau, and neither would want to pay him anyway. The Tigers could be a fit, but they probably can't afford him since it looks like Herkneeya is going to be on that payroll for the next seven years, and they have I-Roid for at least the next year and a half.

chaerulez
07-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Holy crap! I'm really outdated on the Thome news.

193 AB, .207 AVG, 7 HR, 30 RBI

Jim Thome (elbow) suffered a setback during his rehab on Sunday. "He got a little pain in the elbow, but that's to be expected when you have tendinitis," manager Charlie Manuel told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It just means it hasn't completely healed; he didn't think it was a big deal."
(Updated 07/11/2005).

Thome ended his batting practice session earlier due to the pain, but the team is still hopeful he will be able to return some time before the end of July. He is eligible to come off of the 15-day disabled list on Saturday, but it is more likely he will go on a minor-league rehab assignment before coming back. (Updated 07/11/2005).

Jim Thome is terrible now, I could care less if an AL Central team picks him up (which has basically no chance of happening given his contract).

Tragg
07-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I doubt they're holding a fire-sale just yet. They aren't out of it. But they are wisely open to offers for their junk.
They'll probably wait another 2 weeks before trading Wagner, if they do it at all.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Thome still has 3 years left on a huge contract. Here are the numbers: $11.5 million in 2005, $12.5 million in 2006 and $14 million in each 2007 and 2008, with a $13 million option in 2009 with a $3 million buyout. It's going to be VERY hard to dump that kind of contract, which is unfortunate because Thome's blocking a very good 1b prospect in Ryan Howard.

balke
07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Wagner and Thome are players they can afford to lose no matter whether they are in the race or not. Wagner ran his mouth, and Thome costs too much for too little production

thepaulbowski
07-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Jim Thome is terrible now, I could care less if an AL Central team picks him up (which has basically no chance of happening given his contract).

He's been hurt pretty much this whole season, I would not say he sucks. His stats up to this year have been what you expect out of him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/thomeji01.shtml

Tekijawa
07-15-2005, 12:15 PM
I'll drive out east and Pick up Mr. Rollins if need be! I'm available any time the next 15 days! If he wants to Bring his Friends Billy and Bobby I could probably Squeeze them in too!

Palehose Pete
07-16-2005, 12:49 AM
While not mentioned, I would love it if the Phils were shopping Brett Myers. He has good numbers away from that band box they built in Philadelphia. He would look good in the black and white.

nedlug
07-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Isn't Bruce Chen on the Phillies? He's having a good year this year...

DaleJRFan
07-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Isn't Bruce Chen on the Phillies? He's having a good year this year...

not only wrong team, but wrong league as well. Bruce Chen is on the Orioles. :wink:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=136600

nedlug
07-16-2005, 02:15 AM
not only wrong team, but wrong league as well. Bruce Chen is on the Orioles. :wink:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=136600

Hah... alrgiht, nevermind then...

Banix12
07-16-2005, 03:37 AM
I wouldn't call it a fire sale. One guy who won't be there next year and another guy who is having an awful season and is owed a lot of money for the next three years.

The only team in the league I can think of off the top of my head that might take a chance on Thome if offered would be the NY Mets who are struggling with guys like Mientkievich (probably spelled wrong, I don't care). Every other team either has a good 1b already or can't afford his contract. Maybe the dodgers, even though they seem pleased with Hee Seop Choi for now. Either way the Phillies would have to eat much contract. Better to let him recouperate, see if he can get it together for next year, and trade him off then if he's productive.

And anyway, why would any team right now at this trade deadline take a struggling, injured Thome when a slightly cheaper, more effective Mike Sweeney can be had for a couple prospects. Even Aubrey Huff can play a little first base. Nah, there is no market for Thome right now.

Now Wagner, that should start a bidding frenzy.

gosox41
07-16-2005, 08:47 AM

Jim Thome? Hmmm.....

Doesn't Thome had a bad back?

Bob

Palehose Pete
07-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Yup, Thome has a bad back. It's kept him out of more than a few games this season and last season. Also, a couple of years ago he professed a strong desire to play first base for that team on the North Side. Not sure that last fact really matters since he'd play hard for any team that pays him.

Foulke You
07-16-2005, 06:09 PM
In case anyone is wondering, the Sox have a more productive and younger 1B named Paul Konerko who isn't injured and isn't owed train loads of cash for the next 3 years. Thome on the Sox would make zero sense.:?:

Now, Billy Wagner is a different story. We could definitely use a guy like that in our bullpen. KW would probably have to overpay to get him though as Boston, NY, and likely the Orioles will be after him as well.

Madvora
07-18-2005, 10:53 AM
New piece of info here (7/18)

...according to the Bucks County (PA) Courier-Times. The newspaper said 1B Jim Thome would probably drop his no-trade clause only for a few teams, perhaps the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians.

I don't see Thome coming here though. After looking at those numbers, there doesn't seem to be a purpose. We have Gload anyway.

samram
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
New piece of info here (7/18)

...according to the Bucks County (PA) Courier-Times. The newspaper said 1B Jim Thome would probably drop his no-trade clause only for a few teams, perhaps the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians.

I don't see Thome coming here though. After looking at those numbers, there doesn't seem to be a purpose. We have Gload anyway.

Oh, well, we all know that Thome would play with the Cubs for free. Hell, he would pay them. Just ask any Cubs' fan, they'll tell ya.

Kuzman
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
what are they gonna do with D Lee if he goes to the cubs? He isn't going to the north side, don't worry.

buehrle4cy05
07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure if I can trust this yet. Ed Wade, the GM, was on thin ice coming into the season, and holding a fire sale now would be tantamount to him giving up his job. Wagner probably will go.

Sox trade:
Willie Harris, Shingo, Brian Anderson

Phillies trade:
Billy Wagner and Bobby Abreu

jabrch
07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure if I can trust this yet. Ed Wade, the GM, was on thin ice coming into the season, and holding a fire sale now would be tantamount to him giving up his job. Wagner probably will go.

Sox trade:
Willie Harris, Shingo, Brian Anderson

Phillies trade:
Billy Wagner and Bobby Abreu

um...year - right...why not get em to throw in Brett Myers as well?

I'd love Wagner on this team. I'd love Rollins too. But Philly is only 5 games out of 1st, and 4.5 behind the Wild Card. I don't see them giving up so easily.

Mr. White Sox
07-19-2005, 01:44 AM
The only guys from Philly that I'd like to see on the Sox are Brett Myers and Billy Wagner, both of whom won't be traded for at least the next couple of weeks, and Myers probably not at all. Mehhh, let's wait and see, and hopefully Hermy is OK.