PDA

View Full Version : No place for Gload?

Taliesinrk
07-14-2005, 10:07 PM
I thought it was pretty well assumed that Harris was down and
Gload was up. But this article states otherwise... apparently the Sox need Harris with Crede's newly found disc problems.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050714&content_id=1131203&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

whitesoxfan
07-14-2005, 10:16 PM
well we don't need Timo. Personally, i don't know what were waiting for in terms of calling up Gload.

White Sox Josh
07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
well we don't need Timo. Personally, i don't know what were waiting for in terms of calling up Gload.and why can't Willie be sent down. He aint playin third.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
and why can't Willie be sent down. He aint playin third.

Yeah, Willie clearly should be the one sent down. Timo at least can come up with some clutch hits. Harris needs to go to Charlotte, start at shortstop every day to learn that position, and practice bunting in every single at bat. If he's going to be a decent major leaguer, he simply will have to learn to become a master bunter (both for hits and sacrifices to move over runners).

MIgrenade
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM

Yeah usually it's Ozuna playing third. This whole thing stinks.

Jjav829
07-14-2005, 10:30 PM

Because if Crede is unable to go for a game or two here and there, Ozuna has to play 3rd. That leaves us without a backup infielder. Unless you want to see Widger or Dye playing SS/3B, we need a backup infielder.

This whole situation with Crede worries me. I think Kenny is going to have to start looking into backups who can play 3B on a regular basis if needed. I don't want to count on Ozuna full-time if something happens that we lose Crede for a while after the non-waiver trade deadline.

infohawk
07-14-2005, 10:41 PM
This whole situation with Crede worries me. I think Kenny is going to have to start looking into backups who can play 3B on a regular basis if needed. I don't want to count on Ozuna full-time if something happens that we lose Crede for a while after the non-waiver trade deadline.

Agreed. I wonder if this makes KW a little more interested in a guy like Joe Randa. Perhaps sign Randa, bring Gload up, send Harris down or package him in a trade and put Crede on the DL (unless its not worth it because he won't get better without possible season-ending back surgery). Right now we have two reserve infielders, neither of whom are first baseman. Not a very efficient use of roster space.

MIgrenade
07-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Agreed. I wonder if this makes KW a little more interested in a guy like Joe Randa. Perhaps sign Randa, bring Gload up, send Harris down or package him in a trade and put Crede on the DL (unless its not worth it because he won't get better without possible season-ending back surgery). Right now we have two reserve infielders, neither of whom are first baseman. Not a very efficient use of roster space.

No it does not make him more interested in Joe Randa. It does make him more interested in Mike Lowell who could be packaged with Burnett because the Marlins don't seem to want him either.

Edit: This could start more rumors.

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 11:01 PM
My guess is that they'll wait at least a week or two and see how this plays out. If he can play through it, no worry. But it will take that long to know. Kenny will have some discussions in the meantime, but he won't pull the trigger unless he knows Crede can't go.

veeter
07-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I don't like this either because, IMO, I think Gload is not a good hitter but a great hitter. I think he would be a difference maker in the second half. It's a long year, he'll be up sometime.

infohawk
07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
No it does not make him more interested in Joe Randa. It does make him more interested in Mike Lowell who could be packaged with Burnett because the Marlins don't seem to want him either.

Edit: This could start more rumors.

Lowell is not having a very good year at the plate. If the team "upgrades" at third to compensate for Joe's back injury, I would just assume they get a contact hitter to help the sinkhole at the bottom of the order. Randa is such a hitter, and his defense is certainly not a liability. Another thing they could do is see if Vizquel is available to play short, and slide Uribe over to third (or platoon him with Joe for the days when Joe needs to rest his back). This would accomplish the same thing insofar as Vizquel would be an offensive upgrade at the bottom of the order and, along with Uribe at third, would provide pretty solid defense.

Again, this is just speculation of what could be done IF KW is seriously concerned about Joe's availability for the stretch run. It's also quite possible that Joe's injury is something that the coaching staff is pretty confident he can play through. All I know is that I don't want to see Ozuna at third for long stretches of time in late August or September.:(:

rowand33
07-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Lowell is not having a very good year at the plate. If the team "upgrades" at third to compensate for Joe's back injury, I would just assume they get a contact hitter to help the sinkhole at the bottom of the order. Randa is such a hitter, and his defense is certainly not a liability. Another thing they could do is see if Vizquel is available to play short, and slide Uribe over to third (or platoon him with Joe for the days when Joe needs to rest his back). This would accomplish the same thing insofar as Vizquel would be an offensive upgrade at the bottom of the order and, along with Uribe at third, would provide pretty solid defense.

Again, this is just speculation of what could be done IF KW is seriously concerned about Joe's availability for the stretch run. It's also quite possible that Joe's injury is something that the coaching staff is pretty confident he can play through. All I know is that I don't want to see Ozuna at third for long stretches of time in late August or September.:(:

What would it take to go and get Randa?

I said before the season that I could see him on the team, and now he's having a hell of a season to boot.

Would cinci even be asking for much?

Willie Harris + Joe Borchard sound about right?

I_Love_This_team
07-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Hey guys this is my first post. Well I like Gload and perez is o.k but I heard Crede might be going on the DL. So we might get Randa.

LuvSox
07-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey guys this is my first post. Well I like Gload and perez is o.k but I heard Crede might be going on the DL. So we might get Randa.

Welcome aboard, nice name!

Taliesinrk
07-15-2005, 12:51 AM

Did you read the article in the first post? Where's everyone hearing this DL info?? The article was just posted tonight, so is there conflicting info or just bad rumors??

I_Love_This_team
07-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Thank you, well I have been a Watcher forever around these parts.

Banix12
07-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Methinks Gload is getting Wunshed (a term I'm inventing for a player who is healthy, he seems like he could help the team, but doggone it he's staying at AAA because there just isn't any space on the roster supposedly) Strange since Gload isn't even the Sox MLB player rep.

I_Love_This_team
07-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Ya dude I love this place. It is way better than south siders and soxtalk combined!

IowaSox1971
07-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Timo should stay on the team. He's had two or three of our biggest hits of the season, and he hardly ever plays. Yet, he never complains, and he sets a good example for some of the younger players. People forget that, before he rescued us with that two-out, two-run single to beat the Angels, we had lost three in a row. Also, in that game, we had blown a ninth-inning lead after Ozzie did not bring in Hermanson. If we had lost that game, it could have provoked a long losing streak. Timo also came through in the clutch against Oakland to send that game into extra innings on Sunday. He might be our best hitters with two outs, runners on base and the game on the line.

I think he also hit a homer that gave us the lead for good in the seventh inning of an early-season game in Minnesota after Garland had given up three runs to allow the Twins to tie the score in the previous inning.

Madvora
07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
I think Crede's herniated discs will make something happen. We should be getting a SS or 3B. I would hope Vizquel or Randa. This seems like a pressing need now. Once one of those guys get here, then Willie gone, then Gload up.

SSN721
07-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree with others here saying WIllie should be sent down. I think Timo is slightly more of a valuable piece as hard as it is to say. I have been a Harris supporter for the last few years but this year he seems to be a different player. He just doesnt seem as motivated as the rest of the team. I think he feels he doesnt fit in and he plays like it. Whatever Ozzie and Kenny decide to do I really think they have to get Gload up here. Great defensively, and a great contact hitter, he could be a huge lift for the team in the second half. Might be a stupid question because I cant rememeber and I dont feel like looking up his minor stats and records, can Gload play third adequately? Has he ever done it before? Just curious, I suppose not since noone yet has considered the fact he might be able to play both corners.

Madvora
07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
I agree with others here saying WIllie should be sent down. I think Timo is slightly more of a valuable piece as hard as it is to say. I have been a Harris supporter for the last few years but this year he seems to be a different player. He just doesnt seem as motivated as the rest of the team. I think he feels he doesnt fit in and he plays like it. Whatever Ozzie and Kenny decide to do I really think they have to get Gload up here. Great defensively, and a great contact hitter, he could be a huge lift for the team in the second half. Might be a stupid question because I cant rememeber and I dont feel like looking up his minor stats and records, can Gload play third adequately? Has he ever done it before? Just curious, I suppose not since noone yet has considered the fact he might be able to play both corners.
I don't know, I actually like Willie more this year than last. He's had a couple of big pinch running experiences this year, but his damn bunting... His last failed bunt attemp is what did it. I've thought Willie had more value than Timo all year, but it always a case of "what have you done for me lately" and Timo had a huge game tying double and Willie failed at a bunt attempt.
Either way, we need Gload up to replace one of those guys. I think Willie would help with the pinch running, because we'd already be able to put Carl in the outfield if we needed to and can even use Gload. Willie could even do that. I think we should keep Willie, but just for defense and running.

JimH
07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
They guy I hope they're targeting is Ryan Freel of the Reds. He's versatile, good hitter, adds speed, and does all the little things right.

SSN721
07-15-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't know, I actually like Willie more this year than last. He's had a couple of big pinch running experiences this year, but his damn bunting... His last failed bunt attemp is what did it. I've thought Willie had more value than Timo all year, but it always a case of "what have you done for me lately" and Timo had a huge game tying double and Willie failed at a bunt attempt.
Either way, we need Gload up to replace one of those guys. I think Willie would help with the pinch running, because we'd already be able to put Carl in the outfield if we needed to and can even use Gload. Willie could even do that. I think we should keep Willie, but just for defense and running.

I dont think I would ever want to see Gload in the outfield again. I see what you are saying about what Willie has done this year, but last year he seemed to get on base better. Both years as with his whole career so far his baserunning has been pretty poor.

maurice
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
This is terrible news but not unexpected. Gload > Timo, and Harris will need to stay as long as Crede's back is in question.

:timo:
"Thank God I have those blackmail
photos of Ozzie and Kenny."

RKMeibalane
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
The Sox don't need Harris.

maurice
07-15-2005, 12:13 PM
The Sox don't need Harris.

Jjav already explained why the Sox need Harris:
Because if Crede is unable to go for a game or two here and there, Ozuna has to play 3rd. That leaves us without a backup infielder. Unless you want to see Widger or Dye playing SS/3B, we need a backup infielder.

rowand33
07-15-2005, 12:15 PM
We now need Willie

But Timo? get Gload up here. poor guy.

White Sox Josh
07-15-2005, 12:21 PM
My dad had a herniated disk and I remember him not being able to bend down or anything like that for at least a month. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crede be out for a while. It's a painful injury.

BigEdWalsh
07-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Timo should stay on the team. He's had two or three of our biggest hits of the season, and he hardly ever plays. Yet, he never complains, and he sets a good example for some of the younger players. People forget that, before he rescued us with that two-out, two-run single to beat the Angels, we had lost three in a row. Also, in that game, we had blown a ninth-inning lead after Ozzie did not bring in Hermanson. If we had lost that game, it could have provoked a long losing streak. Timo also came through in the clutch against Oakland to send that game into extra innings on Sunday. He might be our best hitters with two outs, runners on base and the game on the line.

I think he also hit a homer that gave us the lead for good in the seventh inning of an early-season game in Minnesota after Garland had given up three runs to allow the Twins to tie the score in the previous inning.

I like Timo. He's a nice guy, I'm sure. Yes he has delivered some key hits, but the fact of the matter is Gload is a better hitter. Plain and simple. Given the opportunity, Gload would deliver some key hits too and probably on a more regular basis.

2BFletch
07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
What about bringing back our good friend Tony G. He's got some pop and can play almost anywhere.

JB98
07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
I like Timo. He's a nice guy, I'm sure. Yes he has delivered some key hits, but the fact of the matter is Gload is a better hitter. Plain and simple. Given the opportunity, Gload would deliver some key hits too and probably on a more regular basis.

You have to think KW will make a move soon. He's got a logjam on his hands here. Neither Perez nor Gload has done anything to play their way off the roster. Maybe one of them will be included in a trade.

We've got too many guys who are 1B/OF/DH and not enough guys who are 2B/SS/3B.

hellenicsoxfan
07-15-2005, 07:03 PM
What about bringing back our good friend Tony G. He's got some pop and can play almost anywhere.

On the Score this morning, they said Tony G is available. I'm sure he'd help and fit in well with this team. He always seemed to be coming up with clutch hits and plays when he was with the Sox, and his ability to play so many positions will give Ozzie some much needed flexibility with pinch hitting and substitutions.

IowaSox1971
07-16-2005, 03:24 AM
Gload did well last season, but is he just a one-year wonder? He bounced around in the minors for a number of years before last season. Plus, he's been injured this season. Is it really worth it to shake things up just to get him back on the active roster?

Timo has World Series experience and Ozzie says he's an excellent mentor for the younger Latin players on the team. Timo also is an excellent clutch hitter. With the game on the line, I'd rather have Timo up there than Gload.

BanditJimmy
07-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Gload did well last season, but is he just a one-year wonder? He bounced around in the minors for a number of years before last season. Plus, he's been injured this season. Is it really worth it to shake things up just to get him back on the active roster?

Timo has World Series experience and Ozzie says he's an excellent mentor for the younger Latin players on the team. Timo also is an excellent clutch hitter. With the game on the line, I'd rather have Timo up there than Gload.

I hate to disagree.

Ross Gload LH stick is desparately needed on this club off the bench. His glove at 1B is 2X better than Konerko's. Timo and Harris are a waste to the bench IMO.

Everett is your #4 OF, which means no room for Timo.
Ozuna is your back up IF, which means no room for Harris.

The only person that has no back up on this team is Paul Konerko, and at times it appears that he is one who desparately needs a day off here and there.

Bring back Gload ASAP.

kevingrt
07-16-2005, 11:07 AM
On the Score this morning, they said Tony G is available. I'm sure he'd help and fit in well with this team. He always seemed to be coming up with clutch hits and plays when he was with the Sox, and his ability to play so many positions will give Ozzie some much needed flexibility with pinch hitting and substitutions.

In my mind Tony G is just and older, whiter, slower version of Pablo Ozuna. He can play anywhere and can hit some for average. I wouldn't mind getting Tony Graffinino, but I don't know where he would fit on this team. Is Tony G suppose to be the starting 3B for a World Series contender? I don't know... nor do I think so.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Back pain like that is unbearable, I've been through some. Just sneezing makes you contemplate suicide. Joe is being a trooper, but when his shot wears off he'll be in a world of hurt. I absolutely cannot see how anyone can swing a bat with that ailment. I don't think he'll make it though the season. But Hell, I'm no doctor. It would be interesting to know if his back started hurting right after the hit streak he had. We need some help on the left side of that infield regardless.

He gone
07-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Gload is tearing it up for Charlotte. He's 3 for 4 with a double and 2 HRs tonight and he just tied the game with his 2nd 2 run HR.

Wirtzsucks19
07-16-2005, 10:01 PM
well we don't need Timo. Personally, i don't know what were waiting for in terms of calling up Gload.True, Gload can play the OF too.

nedlug
07-16-2005, 11:39 PM
What about Rob Mackowiack of the Pirates? He can play third, second, and OF, he's a good hitter, and a great utility guy. I don't know much about his D, but I would think that he could play almost every day with his versatility. Also, the Pirates are out of any races (40-50), and even though he's a good young player, they might be shopping him... Any thoughts on this?

tacosalbarojas
07-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Like others in this thread, I feel Gload would get more big hits than Timonel, but I don't see Ross coming up for Timo...if that's what it comes to. A couple of times, I've heard Ozzie refer to Timo as a guy that the younger Latin guys (primarily Ozuna and Uribe, who live in the same area as Timo in D.R.) look up to him as a mentor. I don't think Oz is ready to part with Timo in favor of Gload because the difference in the two players may not be all that different, and Timo has the clubhouse influence factor going for him.