PDA

View Full Version : Windy City Sox Fans July 22 Luncheon

TornLabrum
07-14-2005, 07:31 PM
The Windy City Sox Fans will be hosting our second Windy City Lunch Bunch event of our tenth anniversary year on Friday, July 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Polo Cafe, 3322 S. Morgan in Bridgeport.

Our guest this month will be White Sox All-Star leftfielder Scott Podsednik. The emcee for the luncheon will be a Sox broadcaster (TBA).

Prices:

WCSF Members - $32.00
Non-Members - $37.00
Children 10 and Under - $22.00

Price includes an autograph session, a buffet luncheon from the Polo Cafe, and a Q&A session hosted by the emcee.

Windy City Sox Fans is a 501(c)(3) corporation. Proceeds from all events are donated to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities, earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital. Donations of cash and toys contributed over the past ten years are well in excess of $70,000.

For reservations, phone the WCSF Hotline at (708) 424-8520.

A side note on the July luncheon with Ozzie Guillen: Over 60 fans attended and were surprised (along with the officers and board members) by a walk-in visit by Jerry Reinsdorf, who stayed for about 20-25 minutes signing autographs and posing for pictures.

The crowds are relatively small and if you're into autograph collecting, you can usually get several items signed. We also sell items such as balls helmets, and photographs at the event for signing.

TornLabrum
07-14-2005, 11:39 PM
This just in: The MC and next week's luncheon will again be Bryan Dolgin.

ewokpelts
07-15-2005, 12:00 AM
I just got the alert from WWW.CSAC.BIZ (http://www.csac.biz/) Great Idea posting it to them!

Gene

p.s. I just bought a case of mini-helmets from a store on ebay. He's told me he has several cases still(and prices were super cheap! i paid for one cased of 24 helmets for 35 bucks...WITH shipping!). If your group was interested, I can send you his ebay id.
Gene

Kevin
07-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Can I join at the door? I'm going to be in town for a week only (For college orientation) but i'll catch that.

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Can I join at the door? I'm going to be in town for a week only (For college orientation) but i'll catch that.

Yes, but call in your reservation and leave a message or tell the person answering the phone that you will be joining at the door. Be sure to give your full name.

We have membership forms to fill out at the door. Membership is $25.00, plus $32.00 for the event. You'll receive your membership packet in the mail.

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 12:52 AM
I just got the alert from WWW.CSAC.BIZ (http://www.csac.biz/) Great Idea posting it to them!

Gene

p.s. I just bought a case of mini-helmets from a store on ebay. He's told me he has several cases still(and prices were super cheap! i paid for one cased of 24 helmets for 35 bucks...WITH shipping!). If your group was interested, I can send you his ebay id.
Gene

I think we have a source for the mini-helmets. I'll check, though.

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Gene

Gene

Yeah, we got an email from them last November, and I've been posting to them. The great thing for us is that we get the event publicized 8 days for free. When you're trying to donate as much as possible to charity, that's a huge thing!

ewokpelts
07-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah, we got an email from them last November, and I've been posting to them. The great thing for us is that we get the event publicized 8 days for free. When you're trying to donate as much as possible to charity, that's a huge thing!
a LOT of people use that site.....
Gene

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 10:26 AM
I just got an email this morning from Brooks Boyer who has confirmed that he will be coming to the luncheon unless his wife happens to give birth right about then (which is a possibility).

Kevin
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Can anyone tell me the best way to get there without a car? I'll be coming from the Lincoln Park area.

Brian26
07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Can anyone tell me the best way to get there without a car? I'll be coming from the Lincoln Park area.

It looks like it's pretty much within walking distance of the Red Line stop at 35th Street. It's basically at Morgan and 32nd...which is 12 or 13 blocks west of the red line, just two blocks west of Halsted...and a couple of blocks north. If you don't mind a nice walk, I'd say your best bet is to take the Red Line and get off at Sox-35th.

TornLabrum
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
It looks like it's pretty much within walking distance of the Red Line stop at 35th Street. It's basically at Morgan and 32nd...which is 12 or 13 blocks west of the red line, just two blocks west of Halsted...and a couple of blocks north. If you don't mind a nice walk, I'd say your best bet is to take the Red Line and get off at Sox-35th.

In the heat we've been having lately, it may be a little bit less than "nice."

Brian26
07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
In the heat we've been having lately, it may be a little bit less than "nice."

Bring a bottle of water :D:

SpammySosa
07-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Just heard a plug on the postgame show.:smile:

TornLabrum
07-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Just heard a plug on the postgame show.:smile:

You might have heard it last night except that the ONE person I forgot to send a press release to yesterday morning was Bryan! (Sorry, Bryan!) I remembered to get it to him just about the time he would have been wrapping up the postgame show last night.

Kevin
07-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Alright, I have no idea where anything on the southside is except the Cell(I'm from Florida), can someone give me walking directions walking from the Sox/35th station?

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Alright, I have no idea where anything on the southside is except the Cell(I'm from Florida), can someone give me walking directions walking from the Sox/35th station?

Walk west on 35th to Morgan (about a mile from the ballpark) and then north on Morgan past 33rd. It's on the west side of the street. The banquet hall is the entrance to the south portion of the building (Old Eagle Banquet Hall), closest to the smallish parking lot.

Try not to get there much before 11:00 a.m. because we're busy setting up before that.

ewokpelts
07-17-2005, 02:28 PM
why not get off at halsted and take the halsted bus to 32?

Gene

Brian26
07-17-2005, 02:31 PM
why not get off at halsted and take the halsted bus to 32?

Gene

The Red Line doesn't have a Halsted stop.

ewokpelts
07-17-2005, 02:42 PM
The Red Line doesn't have a Halsted stop. orange line.......morgan's 1000 w. halsted's 800 west......a short walk from teh bus stop.....and in this heat, that's all the difference than a 12 block walk from 35th and wells.....
Gene

TornLabrum
07-17-2005, 03:29 PM
orange line.......morgan's 1000 w. halsted's 800 west......a short walk from teh bus stop.....and in this heat, that's all the difference than a 12 block walk from 35th and wells.....
Gene

My a/c went out overnight, and it's about 85 in here right now and probably 10 degrees hotter outside. If it's as hot out Friday as today, that's an excellent idea.

fincher
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I think I'm going to call tomorrow to make a reservation. I'm going to the game on Monday night but what the heck!! This is a special summer.

Plus, my wife's crazy about Podsednik.

TornLabrum
07-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I talked to Mary Kay this morning. It appears that we'll have about 80 people attending the luncheon tomorrow. For the first time it looks as if we'll have to seat people in the balcony. Scott has to leave for a TV appearance, so we're going to have to limit the autographs to two per person to accommodate that.

For those of you coming tomorrow, please remember, cash or check only. Those of you joining tomorrow will get the club member rate for the luncheon. We don't take credit cards, and I'd suggest that you arrive on the early side to get good seats.

BiggWilli
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
The Windy City Sox Fans will be hosting our second Windy City Lunch Bunch event of our tenth anniversary year on Friday, July 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Polo Cafe, 3322 S. Morgan in Bridgeport.

Our guest this month will be White Sox All-Star leftfielder Scott Podsednik. The emcee for the luncheon will be a Sox broadcaster (TBA).

Prices:

WCSF Members - $32.00
Non-Members - $37.00
Children 10 and Under - $22.00

Price includes an autograph session, a buffet luncheon from the Polo Cafe, and a Q&A session hosted by the emcee.

Windy City Sox Fans is a 501(c)(3) corporation. Proceeds from all events are donated to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities, earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital. Donations of cash and toys contributed over the past ten years are well in excess of $70,000.

For reservations, phone the WCSF Hotline at (708) 424-8520.

A side note on the July luncheon with Ozzie Guillen: Over 60 fans attended and were surprised (along with the officers and board members) by a walk-in visit by Jerry Reinsdorf, who stayed for about 20-25 minutes signing autographs and posing for pictures.

The crowds are relatively small and if you're into autograph collecting, you can usually get several items signed. We also sell items such as balls helmets, and photographs at the event for signing.

sounds awesome i jsut wanna get scotts autograph

wdelaney72
You might have heard it last night except that the ONE person I forgot to send a press release to yesterday morning was Bryan! (Sorry, Bryan!) I remembered to get it to him just about the time he would have been wrapping up the postgame show last night.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/wdelaney72/BryanDolgin.jpg
"I'll be crusing in my Disco Inferno Red Dodge Neon to MC the Windy City Sox Fan luncheon this Friday. Try and make it if you can."

wsbaseball9
i'm looking forward to going to it

BainesHOF
07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Are reservations required or can I just show up and pay at the door?

TornLabrum
07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Are reservations required or can I just show up and pay at the door?

Reservations are required. I don't know if our count has been sent yet to the Polo Cafe, so I'd suggest you call the club to find out if there is space available if you're planning on going: (708) 424-8520.

With a reservation you can pay at the door.

fincher
07-22-2005, 02:25 PM
I went to the luncheon today and I want to say it was absolutely wonderful. Everything from the locale, food and the people. Well done!

Podsednik was great and he stayed until 1pm. Then Billy Pierce spoke. Brian Dolgin and Brooks Boyer were there, too.

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I went to the luncheon today and I want to say it was absolutely wonderful. Everything from the locale, food and the people. Well done!

Podsednik was great and he stayed until 1pm. Then Billy Pierce spoke. Brian Dolgin and Brooks Boyer were there, too.

Normally the players stay longer, but Scott had a shot for TWIB to go to. Glad you enjoyed it.

SpammySosa
07-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have a summary for those of us who couldn't make it and want to live vicariously?:D:

TornLabrum
07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Does anyone have a summary for those of us who couldn't make it and want to live vicariously?:D:

Sorry, the official summary goes into the club's fall newsletter. I can give you an idea of what went on.

Official attendance today was 84. The Polo Cafe seats 90. For the first time, we filled the main floor and had to seat people in the balcony. This is the biggest crowd we've had at one of these since our first or second year when (at another larger venue) we had Carlton Fisk, Ron Kittle, and Robin Ventura at the same luncheon. (That drew about 150.)

We had to limit the number of autographs to two because Scott had to go to that TWIB shoot at 1:00. He stayed about 5-10 minutes longer than he agreed, to and took questions from Bryan and from the audience.

After he left, Bryan then interviewed Billy Pierce and Brooks Boyer. A lot of talk with Pierce about the '59 team vs. this one, and a lot of talk with Brooks about the "Vote for Scott" campaign. Brooks wore one of the campaign buttons, and donated it as a raffle item.

If you want specific things these guys said, join the club and read it in the newsletter! :D:

hose
07-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Sorry, the official summary goes into the club's fall newsletter. I can give you an idea of what went on.

Official attendance today was 84. The Polo Cafe seats 90. For the first time, we filled the main floor and had to seat people in the balcony. This is the biggest crowd we've had at one of these since our first or second year when (at another larger venue) we had Carlton Fisk, Ron Kittle, and Robin Ventura at the same luncheon. (That drew about 150.)

We had to limit the number of autographs to two because Scott had to go to that TWIB shoot at 1:00. He stayed about 5-10 minutes longer than he agreed, to and took questions from Bryan and from the audience.

After he left, Bryan then interviewed Billy Pierce and Brooks Boyer. A lot of talk with Pierce about the '59 team vs. this one, and a lot of talk with Brooks about the "Vote for Scott" campaign. Brooks wore one of the campaign buttons, and donated it as a raffle item.

If you want specific things these guys said, join the club and read it in the newsletter! :D:

I am going to try and make it to at least one of the luncheons this season.

What is the date of the next one?

Hal I stopped by to say hi during the 3rd inning of Thursday's game. We have to get you and Lip WSI press credentials so you can both sit up in the press box.:bandance:

TornLabrum
07-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I am going to try and make it to at least one of the luncheons this season.

What is the date of the next one?

Hal I stopped by to say hi during the 3rd inning of Thursday's game. We have to get you and Lip WSI press credentials so you can both sit up in the press box.:bandance:

The next (and final) luncheon, will be Friday, August 19. I have to say that Scott Podsednik and Brooks Boyer were quite impressed with the people and the food! Dave, who owns the Polo, has a terrific menu. Yesterday's meal included salad, turkey and beef (sliced by Dave himself), mashed potatoes and gravy, some kind of mixed vegetable thing that seemed to be mostly peppers (I'm not a cook, so I couldn't tell you what all was in it), corn on the cob, crab balls (similar to a crab cake but rolled into balls about the size of a large marble), and apple pie. Podsednik's review: "This is good!" (We don't go the rubber chicken route at our luncheons.)

It was good meeting you, however briefly, the other night. I always enjoy meeting the people who are members here because they're the ones who know the game. I was looking for Palehose13 too, but never did find her. A friend of mine going back to the days of the fan club that preceded the WCSF was sitting a couple of rows in front of me. I didn't notice her until about thr third inning, and she was far enough in her row to make it difficult to say hi, so I didn't bother. When I told her at the luncheon she was upset that I didn't stop by. Oh, well....There was already one guy blocking the aisle the row behind her for about three innings....

I kind of see Scott Reifert's point on press credentials. I think some of the writers here (I almost named names but figured I'd better not lest I forget someone) are better than some of those who are getting paid by "legitimate" news outlets. However, if an "exception" is made for us (the exception being that we are solely a web site), then imagine the bloggers who will be bothering them for credentials.

I'm sure any of us from WSI would find ourselves the loneliest person in the press box if we got credentials. I have the feeling we'd need to be wearing parkas to keep away the chill from the other "legitimate" writers.

hose
07-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I'll ask my Dad to see if he can work in a free lunch and go meet some Sox players in his busy retirement schedule.:D:

No way could Dad handle the luncheon and the game in the same day, so I'll have to drive him home and come back for the night cap.

Now if I can get the boss to let me schedule a vacation day on the 19th I'm in.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Hal:

With respect...I know most of those guys. I don't think it would be chilly at all.

Lip

Palehose13
07-23-2005, 12:18 PM
It was good meeting you, however briefly, the other night. I always enjoy meeting the people who are members here because they're the ones who know the game. I was looking for Palehose13 too, but never did find her. A friend of mine going back to the days of the fan club that preceded the WCSF was sitting a couple of rows in front of me. I didn't notice her until about thr third inning, and she was far enough in her row to make it difficult to say hi, so I didn't bother. When I told her at the luncheon she was upset that I didn't stop by. Oh, well....There was already one guy blocking the aisle the row behind her for about three innings....

I looked for you also when I went to get some corn. Next game that we are both at we may have to set up a time and place. I did stop by and said "hi" to Nancy for the first time. She said that she loves us here at WSI! I think she was shocked to hear about the "Nancy Game" my friend Natalie and I play. I totally won when I got the connections between "Would I lie to you?" by the Eurythmics for Trot Nixon and "Row, Row, Row your boat" for David Ortiz (that put me over the top). :D:

TornLabrum
07-23-2005, 03:54 PM
I looked for you also when I went to get some corn. Next game that we are both at we may have to set up a time and place. I did stop by and said "hi" to Nancy for the first time. She said that she loves us here at WSI! I think she was shocked to hear about the "Nancy Game" my friend Natalie and I play. I totally won when I got the connections between "Would I lie to you?" by the Eurythmics for Trot Nixon and "Row, Row, Row your boat" for David Ortiz (that put me over the top). :D:

Best Nancyism I heard this week was Tuesday night for Ivan Rodriguez. "Ivan (American pronunciation) working on the railroad."

My next game isn't until August 16 (Twins). After that it's the 20th against the Yankees.

Palehose13
07-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Best Nancyism I heard this week was Tuesday night for Ivan Rodriguez. "Ivan (American pronunciation) working on the railroad."

My next game isn't until August 16 (Twins). After that it's the 20th against the Yankees.

Hmmmm..I'll be there 8/3, 8/17 (just missed ya'!), and then 9/24 & 9/25. My goodness I can't believe that I only have 4 games left!!!!

I hope you plan on going to the patio party...I think I can make that!

TornLabrum
07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Hmmmm..I'll be there 8/3, 8/17 (just missed ya'!), and then 9/24 & 9/25. My goodness I can't believe that I only have 4 games left!!!!

I hope you plan on going to the patio party...I think I can make that!

Damn straight I'm going to the patio party. Of my remaining dates, Jeff and I just got tickets for 9/25 a week or so ago. (We always go for fan appreciation day.)

My tickets are getting low, too. I'm down to my last 5 (plus the partio party). Of course that doesn't count Cougars and Jackhammers games. I may be wasting a pair of Hammers tickets we have for tomorrow. 103 for a high and seats on the south side of the field doesn't sound pleasant...Maybe if I were 30 years younger....

Palehose13
07-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Damn straight I'm going to the patio party. Of my remaining dates, Jeff and I just got tickets for 9/25 a week or so ago. (We always go for fan appreciation day.)

Cool! I think I am bringing my dad for both games that weekend. I was hoping in January when I got the games that it may be their "clinching" weekend and my dad was there in '93 with me for the clincher, so it only seems fitting. The old man seemed surprised that I told him he was going to be my date for the playoffs. Who else would I bring?!?!?!?!

My tickets are getting low, too. I'm down to my last 5 (plus the partio party). Of course that doesn't count Cougars and Jackhammers games. I may be wasting a pair of Hammers tickets we have for tomorrow. 103 for a high and seats on the south side of the field doesn't sound pleasant...Maybe if I were 30 years younger....

I'm 24 years younger and I have absolutely no desire to sit in 103 degree weather tomorrow...even for the Sox. I'll sit in 90 degrees, but I just can't do triple digits!

SpammySosa
07-23-2005, 08:04 PM
I can't believe that I only have 4 regular season games left!!!!

I corrected your post for you.:D:

Palehose13
07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I corrected your post for you.:D:

Thanks. What was I thinking?!?!?!?!?

hose
07-24-2005, 09:35 PM
The next (and final) luncheon, will be Friday, August 19. I have to say that Scott Podsednik and Brooks Boyer were quite impressed with the people and the food! Dave, who owns the Polo, has a terrific menu. Yesterday's meal included salad, turkey and beef (sliced by Dave himself), mashed potatoes and gravy, some kind of mixed vegetable thing that seemed to be mostly peppers (I'm not a cook, so I couldn't tell you what all was in it), corn on the cob, crab balls (similar to a crab cake but rolled into balls about the size of a large marble), and apple pie. Podsednik's review: "This is good!" (We don't go the rubber chicken route at our luncheons.)

Hal I'm going to take my Dad to the August 19th luncheon.

Is the number 708-424-8520 to reserve seats?

TornLabrum
07-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Hal I'm going to take my Dad to the August 19th luncheon.

Is the number 708-424-8520 to reserve seats?

Yes, but if you're a member, please wait until your flyer arrives in the mail. If you're not a member, I'll announce it here.

hose
07-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Yes, but if you're a member, please wait until your flyer arrives in the mail. If you're not a member, I'll announce it here.

Okie dokie