PDA

View Full Version : Should Frank Bat 4th?

Madvora
07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
After just watching the first inning of tonight's game (Thursday) Frank doubled in Iguchi and then failed to get past third base on a single to center by Konerko. It makes you think about where you would want to place Frank if he's going to clog up the bases.
Would it make sense to put him 4th, thereby giving him the opportunity to have the most amount of people on base when he hits? Obviously, this would just be based on the first inning (the only inning where you can set the order of your hitters.) I know that Paulie doesn't run much faster than him, but at least Paulie can push it without the risk of an ankle injury.
Then again, it does make sense to put the biggest home run hitter behind a guy that cannot run.

Thoughts on this?

batmanZoSo
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM
After just watching the first inning of tonight's game (Thursday) Frank doubled in Iguchi and then failed to get past third base on a single to center by Konerko. It makes you think about where you would want to place Frank if he's going to clog up the bases.
Would it make sense to put him 4th, thereby giving him the opportunity to have the most amount of people on base when he hits? Obviously, this would just be based on the first inning (the only inning where you can set the order of your hitters.) I know that Paulie doesn't run much faster than him, but at least Paulie can push it without the risk of an ankle injury.
Then again, it does make sense to put the biggest home run hitter behind a guy that cannot run.

Thoughts on this?

No. He's the power guy who walks the most and is going to be on base more frequently. Whether he's slow or not, he's gonna score runs. Always has. It's not like we have a slugging centerfielder like Beltran behind him as another option for more speed. We have Konerko.

And the best thing about Frank batting third? 1-0.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Get rid of Konerko and half of your "base clogging" problem disappears, the over-paid half, too.

tschneid83
07-14-2005, 08:13 PM
It's not like we have a slugging centerfielder like Beltran behind him as another option for more speed. We have Konerko.

As mentioned in a post a lot of pages ago.......we have a slugging centerfielder a few spots lower that could work in the 3 spot (and seems to do good there in the past) and then let frank follow.

Jjav829
07-14-2005, 08:17 PM
As mentioned in a post a lot of pages ago.......we have a slugging centerfielder a few spots lower that could work in the 3 spot (and seems to do good there in the past) and then let frank follow.

Who is our slugging centerfielder? Last I checked, our centerfielder has a SLG% near our speedy left fielder. Rowand simply hasn't been getting the job done recently. Two extra base hits in the last month isn't going to work for a #3 hitter. Leave the lineup as it is now. Not everyone in the lineup can be fast. We have to have some slow thumpers who can mash the ball.

Chicago83
07-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Yes, he would be better off batting fourth or even fifth, however if that means putting Konerko in the 3 spot then NO. If we make a trade for a big bat I would stick him in front of Frank, but for now leave him where he is.

Chicago83
07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Who is our slugging centerfielder? Last I checked, our centerfielder has a SLG% near our speedy left fielder. Rowand simply hasn't been getting the job done recently. Two extra base hits in the last month isn't going to work for a #3 hitter. Leave the lineup as it is now. Not everyone in the lineup can be fast. We have to have some slow thumpers who can mash the ball.

Rowand is a grinder and you can't measure his value by stats, but you're right he has no business in the 3 spot.

CHIsoxNation
07-14-2005, 10:19 PM

I always thought Aaron did pretty good in the #3 hole. He was in the spot for most of last year when Frank and Maggs were down and he flourished in that spot. I read a quote that he had said he enjoyed batting in the 3 hole because you need a different mind set. I think it would be worth a shot to have Aaron in there at least for a few games and see what happens. Then again, I don't know if Ozzie wants to pull a Manuel and switch up the lineup everyday.

MIgrenade
07-14-2005, 10:23 PM
If Konerko were hitting 3rd tonight that run never scores.
By the way, does anyone know what Rowands numbers were in the 3 spot? Maybe he would work better there. For now, you have to leave Thomas and pray PK can actually hit a ball.

TaylorStSox
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Frank's been the 3 hitter since he put on a Sox uniform. There's no reason for it to change now.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
FWIW (and probably not much given the tiny sample size), his 3-year splits indicate Rowand has a single and a double and two runs in ten at bats batting third. Meh.

Ventura Fan 23
07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Paul Konerko is one of the slowest men on the face of the earth. Isn't it because of his hips or something?

CHIsoxNation
07-14-2005, 10:37 PM
FWIW (and probably not much given the tiny sample size), his 3-year splits indicate Rowand has a single and a double and two runs in ten at bats batting third. Meh.

Wow, I didn't realize he has only been in that spot 10 times. I guess I was too frustrated last year to realize what was going on.

wsbaseball9
07-14-2005, 10:41 PM
things are absolutley fine the way they are, dont fix what ain't broken

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Frank's been the 3 hitter since he put on a Sox uniform. There's no reason for it to change now.Not so. They moved him to 4th last year and put Ordonez in 3rd. I'd be willing to give Rowand a try batting 3rd. He's going to get better pitches to hit there and will probably increase his XBH production. It doesn't have to be cast in stone. If it doesn't work, change back.

TaylorStSox
07-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Not so. They moved him to 4th last year and put Ordonez in 3rd. I'd be willing to give Rowand a try batting 3rd. He's going to get better pitches to hit there and will probably increase his XBH production. It doesn't have to be cast in stone. If it doesn't work, change back.

It is working. Rowand's problems don't stem from him not getting pitching to hit. They come from him trying to do too much. For whatever reason, he's not quick enough or strong enough to turn on the ball right now. Maybe he's not seeing the inside pitch. Maybe he's a little dinged up. I don't know. He's only successful when he goes the other way. Last year, he was strong enough to drive the ball that way.

His problem turning on ball is kind of odd to me. He's got the shortest swing on the team.

Plus, he doesn't get on base enough to put him in the 3 hole.

WLL1855
07-14-2005, 11:21 PM

Amen brother. If Rowland raises his career OBP and SLG percentages to levels approaching Frank's (here's a hint, they aren't even close), then I'll be willing to give him a shot at the three hole in the lineup.