PDA

View Full Version : Bats or Pitching

PennStater98r
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi guys! First time posting.

I just wanted to ask - what do you think we need before the deadline (if anything at all).

I got into a debate with my brother today saying we need more pitching for the pen and maybe a starter.

Thoughts?

itsnotrequired
07-14-2005, 05:55 PM

I just wanted to ask - what do you think we need before the deadline (if anything at all).

I got into a debate with my brother today saying we need more pitching for the pen and maybe a starter.

Thoughts?

:welcome:

Pitching. Always pitching...

brewcrew/chisox
07-14-2005, 06:13 PM
why not both?

redOzone
07-15-2005, 03:10 AM
But both sounds good!

Optipessimism
07-15-2005, 05:34 AM
There's a difference between a need and a desire.

Obviously, you can always improve somewhere but I don't see us as necessarily needing anything, just wanting something.

Besides Schmidt, Wagner, Guardado, and Baez, I have not heard one name that would be available that would be a significant enough improvement over what we have to justify overpaying for it.

BTW, whats the score?

SOXintheBURGH
07-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Welcome!

Always nice to see a fellow Nittany Lion on the board! :gulp:

In response to your question... pitching, pitching, pitching.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Besides Schmidt, Wagner, Guardado, and Baez, I have not heard one name that would be available that would be a significant enough improvement over what we have to justify overpaying for it.That's the way I feel. If there's a quality player being shopped around that could fill a hole, regardless of it being a bat or a pitcher, it's worth it. However, I don't want Kenny to overpay to fill a hole with a mediocre player just for the sake of filling the hole.

soxjim
07-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Depends on the needs. Right now we have to watch how Crede and his back respond. If out for an extended time thats a huge hole on defense. The pitching should fall into place. The concern there is El Duques health.

Madvora
07-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Man, after seeing Marte pitch last night, I'm not sure I'd want to give that up. That's very valuable and something very hard to replace.
Having Burnett in the rotation would be great, but I'd love to be able to keep Marte too, then again, I don't really want to give up Everett. It's going to take some KW magic to pull off something like that.

Another concern is Crede. I now read that he has herniated discs in his back. I don't know if we can trust him for the rest of the year. That's risky. I wasn't sure we could trust him anyway when he was 100% I have always welcomed a replacement. I do think that Vizquel deal could help out here, by having Uribe there to back up Crede in case he goes down. Either that or Randa at 3rd. Now's the time to seriously look at replacing Crede because he might go down and we wouldn't be in great shape with Ozuna there permanently.

I just keep looking at my calendar getting closer to that deadline.

deck27
07-15-2005, 10:17 AM
The last thing we need is a rent-a-pitcher that costs us our best prospects. That said, Ozuna/Perez/Harris are more or less the same guy, and ONE should do (I like Harris as a PR). If Gload is hitting, we could use the backup for Paulie; and we need another reliable bat. Preferably someone that can fill in for Crede when his back is out.

Tragg
07-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Trade, if the price is right to fill a need.
Don't force it; there is no one on the blocks that we can't live without.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-15-2005, 10:36 AM

Thoughts?

:welcome: from the southeastern corner of PA. As others have said, I don't think we need anything, but if Kenny can surprise us, that's okay too...

SOXSINCE'70
07-15-2005, 10:39 AM
:welcome:

Pitching wins championships.

'Nuff said.

BRDSR
07-15-2005, 10:48 AM
If theres a solid starting pitcher out there that won't cost an arm and a leg in prospects, I'd say go for it. I don't think Brandon McCarthy is a legitimate insurance policy for our starting rotation so I would definitely like to see a proven major league talent to backup the starting five. With the way Marte threw the ball yesterday, I don't think there is any need in the bullpen, especially if the starting pitcher we got either replaced someone in the rotation or went straight to the bullpen himself.

For a long time I balked at getting anyone on the offensive side of the ball but with Crede's back problems I'm beginning to have second thoughts. A Placido Polanco type player seems like a perfect fit for the Sox, so I'm really bummed that he's already been traded. However, as we get closer to the deadline, there might be some other players like him who will be available for cheap.

GAsoxfan
07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Like others have said, it depends on the price. Looking at the cost of a starting pitcher like Burnett or Schmidt, I hope KW passes on them. A playoff rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and Hernandez would be the best in the AL.

I'd like to see KW get Wagner, since he would give the Sox the best pen in baseball, and could probably be had for a reasonable amount.

I definitely want KW to find a bat. The Sox are 12th in the AL in BA and OBP. I know that pitching wins championship, but I think the Sox are really going to struggle to score runs in the playoffs. Vizquel or Randa seem like the most appealing/possible options.

pdimas
07-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Until yesterday I probably would have said another reliever and starter. Hopefully the outings by Contreras and Marte are a sign of good things to come and not fluke outings. If they can do what they did yesterday consistently we have IMO the best bullpen in all of baseball and one of the best (if not the best) starting rotation in all of baseball. Now in the light of Crede's situation I would love it if we could pick up Randa. I was kinda digging the Burnett thing until he got rocked the other night. in Schmidt's last outing he was finally registering 94 on the ole radar gun but first they just want too much for him and secondly I can't see him being better than anything we already have plus he pitches in the NL. Anyone else notice that pitchers who have made the NL to AL transition have not done so well this year (i.e. Randy Johnson).

PennStater98r
07-15-2005, 06:17 PM
I got a bit disturbed with the hitting yesterday too - after all it's Cleveland's pitching.

Still, imagine Mark, Jon, Freddy, Jason and Jose/Orlando

MeanFish
07-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I got a bit disturbed with the hitting yesterday too - after all it's Cleveland's pitching.

Still, imagine Mark, Jon, Freddy, Jason and Jose/Orlando

What exactly is so horrible about Cleveland's pitching? I don't know if you've been paying attention, but this isn't 2004...

SOXintheBURGH
07-15-2005, 10:00 PM
What exactly is so horrible about Cleveland's pitching? I don't know if you've been paying attention, but this isn't 2004...

Tribe has a decent staff, no doubt, much better than 04's. Millwood, for a National League guy, for some reason pitches his best against Chicago. They do lack the rotation of say a Buehrle, Garcia, Garland trio.

To me, Cleveland is going to be a 2001-04 White Sox for a few years.

MeanFish
07-16-2005, 07:33 AM
It's good enough pitching that they're not getting shelled very often. Maybe their staff gives up four or five runs on a normal day, but that's enough where their offense can help them out.

They might lack three lockdown starting pitchers, but they don't have early-century White Sox 5th starter syndrome. Sabathia, Westbrook, Millwood, Lee, and Elarton are all "good enough." Also, their bullpen has been, except against us, rather bulletproof. They'd have possibly the best staff in the AL East AND the AL West.

So basically, they kind of remind of the Atlanta Braves of recent times. Everybody gives them a good chance to win, nobody guarantees the win. Not a good formula for the playoffs, but not a bad one during the regular season.

PennStater98r
07-16-2005, 10:33 AM
I think the key phrase of this thread is "good enough pitching." Doesn't exactly knock your sox off the way a team does that holds you to one run, does it?

Millwood is -- decent enough, but if you were to look at his recent years of holding a 4.01 ERA and a 4.85 ERA, he didn't and still doesn't look anything like his 2002 form. This year, Millwood and Lee have sub 4.00 ERA, and that's good, but the other guys just aren't IMHO guys that shut down ball clubs, and it's a stretch to say Millwood and Lee are those types of guys.

I know this isn't 2004, and I have been paying attention to other teams, I just don't believe Cleveland to be the type of team that holds a club to one run through nine innings. I don't think Millwood looked that great on Thursday.

And they had not been pitching good at all going into the All Star break - giving up 5, 7 and 9 to the Yanks (which granted most teams would), so I guess I expected a little more offense from the Sox on Thursday - and then got to see it yesterday.