PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7/15

Lip Man 1
07-14-2005, 06:41 PM
For reasons that you'll soon see, this date is special to me.

July 15, 1963

This was the first Sox game I ever saw in person and I picked a hell of a night.

On this date, Gary Peters tossed a one hit shut out, striking out 13 as the Sox beat the Orioles 4-0.

Gary was opposed by future Hall Of Fame pitcher Robin Roberts. The only hit he allowed...yep, you guessed it....Roberts blooped a single just past Nellie Fox into short center field in the 3rd inning.

It gets better...Peters told me in his WSI interview that Roberts lives about a mile from him in Florida and that Robin still gives him grief over it!

The Sox got their runs on a pair of two run home runs from J.C. Martin and Tommy McCraw. I was sitting in the lower deck, between home plate and the first base dugout about halfway up. Because I was so small I never saw the home runs go into the seats. When everyone stood up right after the balls were hit, they blocked my vision. I had to wait for what seemed like an eternity to hear if the scoreboard started to explode. I still remember that night like it was yesterday.

Peters would go on to win 19 games including 11 straight and become co-rookie of the year with teammate Pete Ward.

The Sox would win 94 games that year and end up in 2nd place.

Lip

bigfoot
07-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I luv Lip's TDISH's!