PDA

View Full Version : ESPN INSIDER: Big New Contract?

Joosh
07-14-2005, 02:19 AM
There is an ESPN insider article entitled Big New Contract regarding Frank Thomas. Has anyone read this article or heard anything about it?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors?CMP=ILC-INHEAD&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2***b %2ffeatures%2frumors%3fCMP%3dILC-INHEAD

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2005, 02:22 AM
No sense posting a link to an article that you have to subscribe to "insider" to be able to read.

Joosh
07-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Its not a link to the article, just where I saw it mentioned.

IlliniSoxFan
07-14-2005, 02:30 AM
It's from a week ago, and only cites a Chicago newspaper report regarding interest on both sides. No news.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-14-2005, 02:34 AM
It's from a week ago, and only cites a Chicago newspaper report regarding interest on both sides. No news.
Yeah...most ESPN insider rumor articles are just rehashed information from local papers.

Iguana775
07-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Yeah...most ESPN insider rumor articles are just rehashed information from local papers.

ESPN...the leader in rehashing old new! :rolleyes:

ondafarm
07-14-2005, 07:53 AM
ESPN...the leader in rehashing old new! :rolleyes:

ESPN BREAKING NEWS!!!

Mets win 1969 NL Pennant (Cubs fold) !!!!!

samram
07-14-2005, 08:39 AM

And the local papers get their information from message boards like this. Ah, 21st century journalism.

FoulkeFan
07-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Last week, insider had a rumor about Roger Clemens coming to the White Sox. Their source? A Daily Southtown article! And if you actually READ the article, it was just the columnists opinion on what KW would do.

ewokpelts
07-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Big new contract?
<Jul. 7> The White Sox want to re-sign designated hitter Frank Thomas to a new contract, the Chicago Tribune reports. "He is one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen," GM Ken Williams told the newspaper. "He is a Hall of Famer in my mind. When he gets there, I would like to be there sitting in the audience, seeing him go up to the stage. I also would like to see him hit his 500th [home run] in a White Sox uniform. He deserves this, and he deserves to be healthy."

In the last year of his contract, the 37-year-old Thomas would be paid $10 million next season if the Sox exercise their option for 2006. If they don't, there is a $3.5 million buyout. The Sox could pay the buyout, however, and then negotiate a new multi-year deal loaded with incentives. "It's mutual," Thomas said of his desire to remain in Chicago. "It would be very fitting to hit [the 500th home run] here. I love this organization and I have given this organization my all. I would love to be here and win it all. This is a special team."

Hangar18
07-14-2005, 01:13 PM

Remember the article on Jack McDowell a while back, and in it, he was asked
about steroids Jack said it was so ingrained in the game, it would be hard to tell who was and who wasnt on it now that there are so many injuries. He said he didnt know The Messiah but that his mysterious injury would have people thinking he could be on it. Mike "Yellow" Kiley angered that his precious pitcher would be slighted from this, purposely took the entire story out of context and asked him what he thought of Jack calling him a Steroid abuser, to which The Messiah on cue lambasted Jack McDowell .......

I remember being PISSED at jackass Mike Kiley for writing an irresponsible piece like that when Suddenly ESPN takes Kileys article out of context and says
McDowell is accusing The Messiah of steriod abuse.

ESPN .... good source for sports news ....

MUScholar21
07-14-2005, 02:48 PM
ESPN does take a lot of information from local papers to get its Insider information, but with good reason. They can't have people posted to every team, and beat writers have much better connections because they are there all the time, often for years. They develop relationships and sources, and they get info a rotating cast of national guys would never be able to. Sometimes they go a little too far in what they consider info, but I'm still okay with that-they save me from combing all those papers for what people are saying about the teams I am interested in.

So yes, while it is imperfect, it is still a nice thing to have. At the very least, it allows me to waste more time at work reading more articles on my beloved Sox

NDSox12
07-14-2005, 05:24 PM
ESPN does take a lot of information from local papers to get its Insider information, but with good reason. They can't have people posted to every team, and beat writers have much better connections because they are there all the time, often for years. They develop relationships and sources, and they get info a rotating cast of national guys would never be able to. Sometimes they go a little too far in what they consider info, but I'm still okay with that-they save me from combing all those papers for what people are saying about the teams I am interested in.

So yes, while it is imperfect, it is still a nice thing to have. At the very least, it allows me to waste more time at work reading more articles on my beloved Sox

I don't have a problem with them getting information from local papers. What's kind of funny is that they charge people to access information that could easily be obtained for free from the original source. Granted, this isn't the only thing you get from ESPN Insider, but I'm not sure why they bother including it.

flo-B-flo
07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Who wants to be inside ESP Nothing anyway??

Go_aaron_go!
07-14-2005, 05:38 PM
ESPN people are idiots like Gammons and Olney

Daver
07-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Tabloid trash goes here.