PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Memories of the 1977 Southside Hitmen?

TomBradley72
07-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Attended a work event...turns out a woman who works with me is related to former Sox catcher Jim Essian....led to a whole discussion on the 1977 White Sox...any favorite memories for that great season from those that remember? Mine was a weekend day game against the Twins...Jim Spencer hit a grand slam...had 7 RBI's...curtain calls and na na....crowd was going insane. Old school White Sox fans, the old Comiskey, sell outs, the loudest and most raucous fans in the league at the time.

white sox bill
07-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Well, since I graduated from HS that year, the majority of my time was spent rolling jolly joints and hitting the bong:smile: ! In between I will always crack up @ Oscar Gamble's afro. Looked a bit like Mickey Mouse when his helmet came off!

cbone
07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Zisk, Gamble, and the lovely shorts they wore on certain days. :cool:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA01/Lisle/memory/images/whitesox76.jpg

tebman
07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Attended a work event...turns out a woman who works with me is related to former Sox catcher Jim Essian....led to a whole discussion on the 1977 White Sox...any favorite memories for that great season from those that remember? Mine was a weekend day game against the Twins...Jim Spencer hit a grand slam...had 7 RBI's...curtain calls and na na....crowd was going insane. Old school White Sox fans, the old Comiskey, sell outs, the loudest and most raucous fans in the league at the time.
Oh, where to begin? It was one long party that summer, even in the last month when the Sox were out of the race. It was the definition of serendipity -- everything came together that year. It was Harry Caray's & Jimmy Piersall's first season working together; it was during a time when the Cubs were at a really low ebb; it was Bill Veeck's second season as owner and a time when he'd hit his stride; it was the personalities of guys like Essian, Eric Soderholm, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble, Ralph Garr, Jim Spencer, and the rest; but mostly it was the unexpected success they had that year. Even the players were surprised.

A wonderful group mentality was present that year in the crowds at the games. Everybody seemed to know what was going to happen and how to respond. The Sox Supporters in the left-field seats unfurled the funniest and most ironic signs and banners, a guy with a drum marched through the stands, Andy the Clown wandered through the park lighting up his nose, and Nancy's music seemed to carry us all.

It was like a Frank Capra movie. I hope the memories of this year are as good for those who weren't there in '77.:cheers:

Dan H
07-14-2005, 09:15 AM
July 31 - First game of doubleheader against Kansas City. Chet Lemon homers to tie the game at one in the sixth. Game is tied and in the 10th, the Royals went ahead by two. Lemon homers again, a two-run shot to tie the game again. Sox score more to win and the place goes crazy. It was the greatest day of the decade.

I will be writing more about 1977 in a book I am finishing at the end of this month.

veeter
07-14-2005, 09:20 AM
The opposite of the 2005 team. Bad defense, rely on the homerun.

Orta 4-6-3
07-14-2005, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Dan H]July 31 - First game of doubleheader against Kansas City. Chet Lemon homers to tie the game at one in the sixth. Game is tied and in the 10th, the Royals went ahead by two. Lemon homers again, a two-run shot to tie the game again. Sox score more to win and the place goes crazy. It was the greatest day of the decade.

What he said. Literally the high point of the season --- that win put them 6 1/2 games up, their biggest lead of the year. They got killed in the second game, and then...

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2005, 10:05 AM
The opposite of the 2005 team. Bad defense, rely on the homerun.

Sounds like Sox teams of 1998-2004.

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Any Zisk home run or the sight of Oscar Gamble's afro sticking out
from underneath his batting helmet.:D: :D: :D: :D:

michned
07-14-2005, 10:44 AM
...Mine was a weekend day game against the Twins...Jim Spencer hit a grand slam...had 7 RBI's...curtain calls and na na....crowd was going insane. Old school White Sox fans, the old Comiskey, sell outs, the loudest and most raucous fans in the league at the time.

Ahh, great game. That was one of my two favorite memories that season. I was there, as well, and I think it was a Game of the Week game also. I remember the Twins right fielder lost a flyout in the sun, and Spencer's home run, which was a line shot that got to the right field seats in a hurry.

The other favorite memory is the second game of the Royals series at the end of July, also a Game of the Week, when Soderholm hit a three-run homer to give the Sox the lead for good. I just remember him stepping on home plate with authority, ala A.J. this year against the Dodgers. That just stuck with me all these years.

Then of course, as was mentioned, the Rangers came in to town after the Royals and took 3 out of 4 from the Sox and the slide had begun.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2005, 11:05 AM
First off the Sox only wore 'shorts' one time. They then were promptly discarded.

Two, remember the 'Egg McMuffin' game. That started at 10:30 IN THE MORNING! The Sox beat Cleveland 18-2 with Jim Spencer driving in eight runs.

By the way be sure to check out the Eric Soderholm and Chet Lemon interviews here at WSI for more on the 1977 team.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
07-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I was in 1977 that I was bound and determined to have a beer per inning. I think it ended up being an extra inning game, and then we had one more at McCuddy's to celebrate a victory. I'm afraid I don't remember much else.:rolleyes:

SMO
:gulp:

The Racehorse
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Zisk, Gamble, and the lovely shorts they wore on certain days

As Lip said, shorts were worn only once, August 8, 1976.

jackbrohamer
07-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Two, remember the 'Egg McMuffin' game. That started at 10:30 IN THE MORNING! The Sox beat Cleveland 18-2 with Jim Spencer driving in eight runs.

Yep Harry Caray complained for weeks before that game because I guess it cut into his hangover-nursing time. It was sponsored by McDonalds & Harry said they should kidnap Ray Kroc and force him to get to the park that early. Wasn't the game in 1976?

IowaSox1971
07-14-2005, 05:13 PM
I remember sitting in the stands down the first base line on July 1 of that year, when we beat the Twins to move into first place, and everyone was chanting, "We're Number 1." It was great.

Late in that game, Nancy Faust played a little bit of the "Na-Na, Hey-Hey" song, but only a few fans were singing along. I guess it didn't really catch on with the fans until the Kansas City series later that month.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
They did it both in 1976 and 1977. Here's the kicker about the 77 Egg McMuffin game.....the Friday game was a NIGHT GAME AND it was 'anti superstition night' because it was Friday the 13th.

With all that going on (witches placed spells, mirrors were broken etc....) the game ran a little longer sooooo the players got home later sooooo they had to play a Saturday mroning game! I remember Eric telling me he didn't think they took batting practice that morning! LOL

By the way Spencer had eight RBI's against the Twins. It was a Sunday DH. I was there. Jim is the only Sox player to ever have two 8 RBI games in a single season.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
07-15-2005, 09:26 PM
1977 was a fun year as the Sox "socked" their way in to contention by being one of the highest scoring teams in Sox History up to that point.

I remember Harry Caray always remarking how the Sox seemingly trailed early in a lot of ballgames, only to come roaring back in the middle to late innings and just steamrolling the opposition into submission.

That season I also went to my personal high of attending 25 games that season. I also kept score at most of the games and still have a lot of the scorecards to this day!

Most of my individual game memories have faded into some "fuzzy remembrances" but here's a few that are etched in to my mind.

* Opening Day (Home) vs the Red Sox on a very windy day and Richie Zisk having trouble with every fly ball hit his way due to the wind.

* Wilbur Wood defeating Oakland 2-1 on Father's Day being the beneficiary of 2 Lamar Johnson HR's...THE SOX' ONLY TWO HITS ON THE DAY!!

* The Sox sweeping KC in a series in August to move in to 1st place and the birth of Curtain Calls and the Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye chant echoing around the park for the first time

LuvSox
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I turned 8 years old that summer, so I didn't see any games at the park. I do remember all of us neighborhood kids were huge Sox fans. We all collected Topps cards, with Richie Zisk being the most coveted.

We would have deep discussions on what we called the greatest outfield in baseball, the southsiders.

Whenever we played sandlot ball (pretty much everyday) we'd switch up, somedays Soderholm, other days Spencer, etc.

It's amazing now to look back and think Gamble was on fire with 31 dingers to lead the team, with today's hitters being what they are.

I've got a ton of childhood memories with the Sox, but '77 was the most fun.

MikeW
07-15-2005, 10:16 PM
I went to spring training in Sarasota for the first time in 1977 and the thing that stays with me the most was how bad the Sox looked. I could never have imagined that 77 would be a magical year. I can recall Bucky Dent moping around about still being on the team and two days after I left Sarasota,Dent went to the Yankees for Oscar Gamble and a minor league nobody by the name of Dewey Hoyt; also known as Lamar. Just didn't have the pitching to carry us all the way, but it was one of those years that stay with you.

SoxFanSince67
07-15-2005, 10:26 PM
That was a great summer to be Sox Fan. That summer, there was just a confindence when Oscar Gamble, with his big afro, came to bat, that somehting good would happen.

Sisk wouldn't sign at the start of the season for what Veeck was offering. By mid - to late seaosn, Veeck was willing to agree to Sisk's earlier terms only for Sisk to have raised them after having a good season. He left atfter 77 to go to Seattle and Gamble, I believe, signed with the Yankees.

EdHerman12
07-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Man I'm reading these posts and as Hawk would say, "I had tears on my eyes"...just a great time to be a Sox fan. The Royals were just a wee bit better than we were. But Gamble, Zisk, Soderholm, Essian, Downing.....man I loved these guys! It was just a fun freakin season....the Southside Hitmen! I still think we could've given the Yankees a challenge....

GO SOX! :gulp:

TomBradley72
07-15-2005, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Wsoxmike59]
* Wilbur Wood defeating Oakland 2-1 on Father's Day being the beneficiary of 2 Lamar Johnson HR's...THE SOX' ONLY TWO HITS ON THE DAY!!

and Lamar sang the national anthem that day before the game....true story...

LuvSox
07-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Sisk wouldn't sign at the start of the season for what Veeck was offering. By mid - to late seaosn, Veeck was willing to agree to Sisk's earlier terms only for Sisk to have raised them after having a good season. He left atfter 77 to go to Seattle and Gamble, I believe, signed with the Yankees.

Zisk left for Texas in '78

Fake Chet Lemon
07-15-2005, 10:59 PM
There were so many incredible memories, but I'll rank listening to Jimmy and Harry call it all #1.

The team was so much fun, that anyone could make it even MORE exciting was really pretty amazing. They did. Nancy ranks right up there too for the same reason. Watching the fun the fans were having in the stands also made for great memories. I have so many great memories from that year I just can't pick a single one.

rwschm_bull
07-16-2005, 12:13 AM
The '77 season turned me into a die-hard Sox fan. I'd only dabbled with baseball growing up but started following the Sox via cable TV from Lafayette, IN in '75. By '77 I was into baseball, and the Sox were my club -- and have been ever since...

They started the '77 season playing the first game EVER with the BlueJays IN Toronto, at the old Exhibition stadium -- a wide-open, wind-swept CFL field right on the lake -- in a snowstorm. Those dark navy "pajama" road uniforms stood out in an almost black-and-white scene. I skipped a class to watch the game. There was no way the game should have been played, but with the crowd and it being the first game ever (and probably not wanting to part with the $$ or give MLB the idea that Toronto should always play ROAD games in April) they started the game once the snow started to let up and the field could be cleared. I remember Harry wondering if anybody could hit the ball with the snow blowing and the cold, but the game turned out to be a slugfest, something like 9-to-5 or something. The Sox had looked horrible all spring -- I think they had the worst spring record in all of baseball -- and the Bucky Dent trade for Oscar Gamble, IIRC was just a couple days old and Gossage and Forster had left in the off-season. It looked like it was going to be a LONG, LONG YEAR (and '76 was not much fun on the field, either). Somehow things started to come together.

I remember most some of the most unfundamental baseball every played -- Ralph Garr and Jorge Orta running through stop sign after stop sign -- I think Tony Kubek said something to the effect that kids should "look away" when the Sox were playing on an NBC Saturday game-of-the-week. Garr and Zisk made every fly ball an adventure and Chet Lemon had to cover a LOT of ground. Alan Bannister hurt his arm and if it weren't for Spencer and his gold glove would have made many more than the 40 errors he was charged with. Soderholm's knee couldn't take playing on turf.

IIRC, the Sox hit back-to-back-to-back HR's in a wild night game against Boston one night during their streak when the took the division lead. I also remember an absolute SLUGFEST at Minnesota against the Twins. The Sox took a big lead in their first at-bat and surrendered it all and then some (it may have been in the 1st inning -- Harry just groaned with each pitch -- it may have been Bart Johnson -- seemed like Harry always thought he underperformed).

The 4-game sweep of the Twins at Comiskey and the near sweep of the Royals (they lost the second game of a Sunday DH) were big thrills. That was the real birth of "Na-Na-Na-Na-Hey-Hey-Goodbye" (the old "Steam" song) and Nancy had LOTS of opportunities to use it. The curtain calls started also during that same homestand. But after dropping the last game to KC (still holding a 4 or 5 game lead) the Sox started a road trip (to Texas) and it all fell apart. They rolled into KC the next weekend and got blown out in the first game. Then spare outfielder Joe Zdeb robbed us of a grand slam with a great catch up against the wall on Sunday and they returned the favor, 3 straight. By the end of August it was pretty much over -- KC caught fire down the stretch and the Sox pretty much limped home.

quite a year -- hard to believe almost 30 years have gone by...:D:

Medford Bobby
07-16-2005, 12:16 AM
:smile: I recently received a copy of the July 15, 1977 audio of WMAQ Sox win over the BoSox. (Thanks Lip Man 1) My family and I went to the game that night. It's funny how little things about that game I forgot and how that whole era seems like a million years ago.(gosh, my 17th birthday was a few days away). I forgot that huge ass thunderstorms were brewin around Chicago. I remember the park was packed and it was HOT:angry: ..............Hearing the tape reminded me how I did not care for Sox announcer Lorn Brown. Also I remember Laron Legrow getting the save for Wood, but he pitched from the 6th on till the end. Today there would be 5 middle relief guys before the reliever...........yea I was at 1977 Opening Day too....but I feel the 2005 Sox team will be one to eclipse all years.......:D:...also lots of FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

jehosaphat
07-16-2005, 12:18 AM
That was a great summer to be Sox Fan. That summer, there was just a confindence when Oscar Gamble, with his big afro, came to bat, that somehting good would happen.

For some reason, I recall Gamble going to the Padres as a free agent. I also recall that he was pretty much a bust after leaving the Sox.

'77 was the year I became a Sox fan - having moved around a lot as a kid, I really didn't have a strong allegiance to any team. I could listen to the radio on my night job during the summer, and Harry made the games more exciting and fund than any other announcer I ever listenned to. I got caught up with it all over the summer; became a huge fan. The '77 team was Veck's bargain basement crew; they were the ultimate underdogs - pretty much a group of castoffs and has beens. At least that is what my impression was. It was a great group to cheer for and a good reason to get hooked on the Sox.

I went back to college (ISU) for my sophomore year in August, and there was a very cute red headed girl named Anne who was a big Sox fan and we'd drive up to the games on a whim. I think she really believed that they were going to run off 20 wins and get back in the race, whereas I just got a kick out of going to the games and being with her. Anyway, Anne's long gone, but the Sox have remained. I'll always have a fondness for the '77 team.

RadioheadRocks
07-16-2005, 12:22 AM
I remember watching one Sox game on Channel 44 that year and my entire family laughing hysterically while watching Harry Caray (who was already three sheets to the wind) trying to get through the post-game show. He was trying to get through a blurb for the upcoming kids' jacket giveaway night (remember those hideous plastic things? good for nothing but sweating your cajones off!). "These jackets are great... for going to school in... or bouncing around in..."

rwschm_bull
07-16-2005, 12:34 AM
yep, Gamble left for Ray Kroc's money and SD and never approached the season he had in '77. He hit .275 with all of 7 HR's in 126 G for the Padres then got shipped to Texas as a bust.

Zisk signed with Texas in '78 and Zisk and Gamble were reunited in '79, with Texas.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1977_sched.shtml

The Slugfest was Minnesota 19, Chicago 12
The Sox had a 5 1/2 game lead over both MINN and KC after dropping the nightcap at home against KC. Then lost 3 of 4 in Texas and 3 straight to KC to cling to a 1/2 game lead over MINN and a 1.5 game lead over KC.

From August 17th to September 26th the Royals lost THREE games -- unstoppable --

VeeckAsInWreck
07-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I was born during that season, but let me tell you that I have enjoyed reading all of your memories. I wish I could have been there. A couple of years ago I bought Peter Elliot's photo book Park Life At Comiskey, and it gives a great glimpse of the atmosphere at the old park during the '77 seaon. But a DVD on that season would be great.

rwschm_bull
07-16-2005, 01:04 AM
well, crud -- memory was a little foggy after 30 years... the BIG lead was 1-0 and it was Stone, not big, bad, Bart getting raked by Twin bats... :rolleyes:

CHI A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TCHA01977.htm) 1 0 6 1 2 0 0 0 2 - 12 16 2MIN A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TMIN01977.htm) 2 6 4 3 0 0 2 2 x - 19 18 0BOX+PBP (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06260MIN1977.htm)WP: T. Johnson (9-2)LP: Stone (8-6)HRs: Lemon (10), L. Johnson (8), Soderholm (7), Essian (5), Carew (6), Adams (2)Down 8-1, the Sox rallied to make it a game @8-7, but could only close to 15-10 after 4 1/2...
thanks http://www.retrosheet.org/

rwschm_bull
07-16-2005, 01:42 AM
6/24/1977 - Ralph Garr of the White Sox homered off Minnesota’s Paul Thormodsgard in Minneapolis. It came in the third inning with two men on and no one out (in a game they trailed 5-0 at the time). Jim Essian, the runner on first, thought the ball might be caught by the Twins’ right fielder, Dan Ford, so he retreated towards first base. Garr was watching the flight of the ball and passed Essian after rounding the bag. He was credited with a single and two runs batted in.

Sox ended up losing 7-6 in a game where they hit 4 dingers (including Garr's "single")...

fox2
07-16-2005, 08:25 AM
The Sox were in Boston in late July, I think. They were losing 6-1 in the top of the seventh, when Eric Soderholm hit a 2-out 2-run homer off Luis Tiant. Then in the top of the eighth with 2 outs Oscar Gamble singled in a run and Jim Spencer hit a 3-run homer to tie the game 7-7. In the top of the ninth Brian Downing hit one over the green monster, and in the bottom of the ninth Lerrin LeGrow got Carl Yastrzemski to ground into a game-ending double play. I was at my mother's house that day watching the game in her kitchen, giving all my Cub fan relatives who were sitting in the back yard a play-by-play account. What a great day!

Dan H
07-16-2005, 08:56 AM
The entire month of July was great and actually was the best time of the whole decade. They went 22-6, sweeping Minnesota at the start and taking three of four from Kansas City at the end. They drew over 482,000 for the month which nearly matched the attendance for all of 1970. The South Side Hitmen were not World Series material. But they gave a fun and exciting season and I will always remember the intense emotion at old Comiksey Park.

ode to veeck
07-16-2005, 09:19 AM
I loved the way that lineup was ... other than Ralph Garr to leadoff, every other batter was just swinging for the fences on anything close to the plate, which in the long run, wasn't the greatest strategy on earth, but made for exciting baseball, and sure was amusing to see the imtimidation of the opposing pitching staffs. I still think the long ball "single" of Ralph's is one of the funniest plays ever.

Maximo
07-16-2005, 09:59 AM
As mentioned earlier, I,too, got a big kick out of the signs carried by the "Sox Supporters" in the left field seats. One of them, in an attempt to convince Bill Veeck to spend the money and sign Richie Zisk to a long term contract, went something like this......"Veeck Orta Gamble on Zisk!!"

It was a great summer and even though there was no such thing as ESPN, the Sox were featured several times on "The Game of the Week" and got the respect from the national media that they richly deserved.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2005, 10:01 AM
The entire month of July was great and actually was the best time of the whole decade. They went 22-6, sweeping Minnesota at the start and taking three of four from Kansas City at the end. They drew over 482,000 for the month which nearly matched the attendance for all of 1970. The South Side Hitmen were not World Series material. But they gave a fun and exciting season and I will always remember the intense emotion at old Comiksey Park.

That's what I remember, too. The entire month of July was like it came out of a dream or something. They just kept winning.

I also remember the Flubs with Herman Franks having a hot summer. I believe that team was the first in history to reach 25 games over .500 and still fall back to .500 before the season ended. In fact they needed to win a couple games just to get back to .500 at the very end.
:roflmao:

Oh, and somebody else in this thread needs to brush up on their Sox history. The Sox only wore the shorts once and it was in 1976, not 1977. It was strictly a publicity stunt by cash-strapped Veeck, and that '76 was so bad he could just as easily have sent them out there in Speedos for all the good it would do for the gate.
:cool:

robiwho
07-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I was 9 years old in 1977 and that season will always be special to me because it was the year I went to my first Sox game. Being the child (and grandchild) of die-hard Sox fans, I was already a fan, but that first trip made me a fan for life.

Having been so young, I don't remember a lot of specifics, but I'll always remember the excitement of that summer!

jehosaphat
07-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I was born during that season, but let me tell you that I have enjoyed reading all of your memories. I wish I could have been there. A couple of years ago I bought Peter Elliot's photo book Park Life At Comiskey, and it gives a great glimpse of the atmosphere at the old park during the '77 seaon. But a DVD on that season would be great.

A caution, 30 year old memories always embellish things a bit. But, for a team that finished in second, or was it third, place, it is incredible that people have such lasting memories of '77.

Fortunately for you and others who weren't there, the 2005 White Sox may provide even richer memories 30 years from now. Sans the old park and slightly drunk announcers in the booth, this year's team is really a much better team than 1977 and just as fun to watch. Like '77, this year's club is comprised of a great group of guys.

I guess the lesson from 1977 is to enjoy it while you can. "These are the good old days" (a line from a 70's song!).

LongLiveFisk
07-16-2005, 01:54 PM
The '77 season turned me into a die-hard Sox fan.

Me too! Of course, being only 6 years old I have only vague memories of that season overall, but I do remember watching the fireworks from my 2nd floor apartment in Pilsen after each home run (and man, there were a lot of those that year!). Also we lived above a corner store so I used to come downstairs everytime I got some money from my dad and buy packs of baseball cards praying to get some Sox players. I always did love the look of those '77 Topps! :D:

P.S. Eric Soderholm was my favorite player back then.

TommyJohn
07-16-2005, 02:02 PM
That's what I remember, too. The entire month of July was like it came out of a dream or something. They just kept winning.

I also remember the Flubs with Herman Franks having a hot summer. I believe that team was the first in history to reach 25 games over .500 and still fall back to .500 before the season ended. In fact they needed to win a couple games just to get back to .500 at the very end.
:roflmao:

Oh, and somebody else in this thread needs to brush up on their Sox history. The Sox only wore the shorts once and it was in 1976, not 1977. It was strictly a publicity stunt by cash-strapped Veeck, and that '76 was so bad he could just as easily have sent them out there in Speedos for all the good it would do for the gate.
:cool:

You're very close on the '77 Cubs. I double-checked on www.retrosheet.org (http://www.retrosheet.org/)
and here is what I found: the Cubs that year were 81-76 with five games
left to go in the season. They just needed on one win in those final five to
finish above .500. Of course, they lost all five. Ohhhhhh, the curse!
Actually both teams were in first place on the 4th of July, also.

My memories are few, because I was only 8 years old that year. I remember
going to a game against Toronto in April and seeing a home run by Doug Ault.

I was at a June or July game and saw Dick Allen with the Oakland A's. He
wore WAMPUM on the back of his jersey. The White Sox won 2-0 and
the leftfielder (Lemon?) made a great catch slamming into the wall. I also
remember watching the games on TV. One was a great game against the
Yankees that they were losing in the 9th, then came back to take the lead.
In the bottom of the 9th, the Yankees put a man on and got a home run to
win it. I looked that one up too, and saw that the White Sox were losing 9-4
in the top of the 9th, roared back to take a 10-9 lead, then lost 11-10 on a
two run homer by Chris Chambliss. Funny, before I looked it up I had thought
that it was hit by Reggie Jackson.

In that same game, Oscar Gamble came up in the 9th and the Yankee Stadium
crowd rocked the place with an ovation for him, as he was a former Yank. He
then got a hit, the go-ahead hit, as I later found out. The guy who gave up
the home run to Chambliss was Randy Wiles.

Another game I saw on TV is the one where Zisk hit a monster blast onto the
roof. I was in awe of him and Gamble that year.

Anyone remember "Guiness Book of World Records" Night? One game in '77
had that promo. I went and got a red 1977 edition of the book. The Sox
lost to the Indians, I want to say it was 6-1.

The Racehorse
07-16-2005, 03:24 PM
As a 12 year old kid, I remember watching the games on channel 44 as Harry Caray went ape on just about every call through out the season. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
07-16-2005, 03:31 PM
:threadrules:

I already posted my memories of '77 but since they're so vague, it's great reading everyone else's memories...you "older folks" are ok in my book! :redneck

TomBradley72
07-16-2005, 03:51 PM
The Sox were in Boston in late July, I think. They were losing 6-1 in the top of the seventh, when Eric Soderholm hit a 2-out 2-run homer off Luis Tiant. Then in the top of the eighth with 2 outs Oscar Gamble singled in a run and Jim Spencer hit a 3-run homer to tie the game 7-7. In the top of the ninth Brian Downing hit one over the green monster, and in the bottom of the ninth Lerrin LeGrow got Carl Yastrzemski to ground into a game-ending double play. I was at my mother's house that day watching the game in her kitchen, giving all my Cub fan relatives who were sitting in the back yard a play-by-play account. What a great day!

This game was incredible! I'm pretty sure it was raining in Boston...the old "Monday Night Baseball" on ABC....Downing actually slipped in the mud as he swung....ball cleared the monster.

Sox&Springsteen
07-16-2005, 04:03 PM
There were so many incredible memories, but I'll rank listening to Jimmy and Harry call it all #1.

The team was so much fun, that anyone could make it even MORE exciting was really pretty amazing. They did. Nancy ranks right up there too for the same reason. Watching the fun the fans were having in the stands also made for great memories. I have so many great memories from that year I just can't pick a single one.

July 31 - First game of doubleheader against Kansas City. Chet Lemon homers to tie the game at one in the sixth. Game is tied and in the 10th, the Royals went ahead by two. Lemon homers again, a two-run shot to tie the game again. Sox score more to win and the place goes crazy. It was the greatest day of the decade.

I will be writing more about 1977 in a book I am finishing at the end of this month.

Wow--I'm sitting here hundreds of miles from 35th and Shields and bawling my eyes out--I was at this game--it is one of the happiest memories of my childhood. Reading all these great posts about the that magical, magical summer is just bringing me back to this special time still so close to my heart....thank you so much for sharing these memories. It means so much, being here so far away.

And yes, Harry and Jimmy were the stars as much as Gamble, Lemon, Spencer, Lamar Johnson, Soderholm, Zisk, et al. They were never in finer form than during a late-season series out in Texas against the Rangers. It was a gorgeous starry night, and the Channel 44 cameraman panned up to a beautiful full moon in the sky. The dialogue went something like this:

Jimmy: Well, Harry, would you just look at that big, beautiful Texas moon!

Harry (incensed): What do you mean, Jimmy, a "Texas Moon"? It's the same moon in Chicago, in New York, or in Arizona. Texas doesn't have it's own moon!! Jeez, Jimmy!!

Fu*king brilliant.

And then Harry going absolutely ape-****, post-game, after his usual great "Sox Win! Sox Win!" rant....

"and the Chicago White Sox have beaten the Multi Multi Multi Multi MULTI MULTI MULTI MULTI MILLIONAIRE TEXAS RANGERS!!!!"

Lip Man 1
07-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Fox 2 and others:

I have the audio of both Spencer's and Downing's home runs. The commentary by Harry and Jimmy is incredible with such spicy sides as:

'Spencer's choked up two inches on the bat, we've got guys who refuse to even think about doing that with two strikes...'

'He choked up two inches and hit the ball about 400 feet!'

'Spending all that money doesn't guarantee you a pennant..'

'Come on, the Sox have got to win this game after the way they battled back...'

After Downing's home run I have never heard Harry and Jimmy more animated. Piersall was laughing in delight outloud. The only other time I ever heard him and Harry go bonkers like that was when Fisk hit the opening day home run in 81.

As far as the audio from Lemon's home run and Garr's game winning hit in game #1 of that Sunday doubleheader versus the Royals. Lorn Brown went berserk. He started screaming 'Sox win,' over and over again and started hyperventilating...so much so that Mary Shane had to give the recap, Brown couldn't get his breath to talk.

Amazing season one that as Soderholm wotre, 'went by to quickly...'

Lip

Sox&Springsteen
07-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Fox 2 and others:
Amazing season one that as Soderholm wotre, 'went by to quickly...'

Remember how Soderholm wrote in the Tribune:

Goodbye, it sure has been great fun
Sod's off to Texas to play in the sun
Back with Richie, and Oscar too
But in my heart I'll always miss you

It wasn't just the fans and the announcers who knew this was the most magical of baseball seasons. The players knew it, too.

RadioheadRocks
07-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it was 1977 (or maybe it was 1978... please don't flame me if I'm incorrect!) when WBBM-TV/Channel 2 news did a "Sox Fan or Cub Fan?" poll. Of course I sent my SOX FAN entry in, and I remember it was a pretty close call throughout the poll (and the SOX actually led for much of the way), but alas... the sCrUBS ended up with the higher vote total. But leave it to Bill Veeck to give everyone who voted for the SOX a free game ticket! I guess they kept all the names and addresses of the voters on file and I remember my grandmother went to the Comiskey Park box office and picked up my ticket... turned out to be one of the last games of the season and it was literally FREEZING at the ballpark, but I didn't care! :D:

The Racehorse
07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Remember how Soderholm wrote in the Tribune:

Goodbye, it sure has been great fun
Sod's off to Texas to play in the sun
Back with Richie, and Oscar too
But in my heart I'll always miss you

Wow... that is really classy. Nice. :cool:

tebman
07-16-2005, 06:45 PM
"Magical" really is the right word. My wife and I had been married for a year and the '77 Sox served as her introduction to baseball. I picked a good year to show her around. :cool:

The best part was that everybody felt like they knew everybody else at the ballpark. Camradarie isn't a strong enough word -- we were all brothers and sisters that summer, and genuinely happy to see each other. One of the games we were at was July 1st against the Twins when the Sox went into first place. Nobody wanted to leave the park when the game was over! Everybody just hung around like a crowd at a wedding reception.

The book "Park Life" has wonderful pictures that capture the texture and feel of that time. But the stateliness of those photos don't give a feel for the pure joy that in was in the place that season.

Times like that are rare gifts. The fact that those of us who were there are still talking about almost 30 years later just shows how special it was. My fondest hope is that special years like this one will have a similar meaning for another generation of folks who couldn't be there in 1977.

chisoxfan64
07-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, I was 13 that magical summer. I don`t remember the exact date, but it was the doubleheader against K.C. when we were fighting it out for first place. My dad took me and my best friend to the game on the El (bonus, we usually drove) he was concerned it would be pretty crowded and parking would be difficult. Turns out he was right. We got there and couldn`t get in. Sold Out!!
Couple of disapointed 13 year olds but we actually stayed there outside old Comiskey for about two hours with a whole bunch of other people, talking about how great the Sox were, what a great year it is. We could hear the cheering from inside it was almost as good as being inside. Didn`t get in that day but it was still a great day at old Comiskey.

RadioheadRocks
07-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Who here remembers listening to Mary Shane doing play-by-play along with Harry, Jimmy and Lorn that year?

I know there's a picture of all four of them together in the 1977 program... gonna have to scan and post that puppy here somewhere!

mike squires
07-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Who here remembers listening to Mary Shane doing play-by-play along with Harry, Jimmy and Lorn that year?

I know there's a picture of all four of them together in the 1977 program... gonna have to scan and post that puppy here somewhere!

Yup, I've got a '77 program with Harry's autograph on it. Unfortunately, it was my sister that got it during th summer of '77.

mike squires
07-17-2005, 06:31 AM
"Magical" really is the right word. My wife and I had been married for a year and the '77 Sox served as her introduction to baseball. I picked a good year to show her around. :cool:

The best part was that everybody felt like they knew everybody else at the ballpark. Camradarie isn't a strong enough word -- we were all brothers and sisters that summer, and genuinely happy to see each other. One of the games we were at was July 1st against the Twins when the Sox went into first place. Nobody wanted to leave the park when the game was over! Everybody just hung around like a crowd at a wedding reception.

The book "Park Life" has wonderful pictures that capture the texture and feel of that time. But the stateliness of those photos don't give a feel for the pure joy that in was in the place that season.

Times like that are rare gifts. The fact that those of us who were there are still talking about almost 30 years later just shows how special it was. My fondest hope is that special years like this one will have a similar meaning for another generation of folks who couldn't be there in 1977.

Park Life is a book you DON"T want sitting out on your coffee table!:D: There are some characters in that book. I like the pic of the young child taking a leak by Comiskey park.

SoxFanSince67
07-17-2005, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=rwschm_bull]The '77 season turned me into a die-hard Sox fan. I'd only dabbled with baseball growing up but started following the Sox via cable TV from Lafayette, IN in '75. By '77 I was into baseball, and the Sox were my club -- and have been ever since...

I too followed every Sox game that summer via cable while living in Lafayette.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I was nine, and the sponsor of the local Little League, Club Ki-Yowga, had an annual bus trip to Comiskey. As I have learned from people in this forum, I was at the game Spencer hit two homeruns. I recalled the game, but was unable to place the year. I remember the bus pulling up to this big green building. We sat in the right field lower deck. From the outside, I couldn't envision what was on the inside. There was a tremendous amount of excitement, and we left happy. My older brother and I each got batting helmets.

Mark
07-17-2005, 10:46 AM
This game was incredible! I'm pretty sure it was raining in Boston...the old "Monday Night Baseball" on ABC....Downing actually slipped in the mud as he swung....ball cleared the monster.

You confirmed that this was a game I remember watching in NY on "Monday Night Baseball" (it was one of the rare times I could watch the Sox on the tube in the pre-ESPN days, other than the times they played the Yankees; they didn't seem to make it on the NBC or ABC national telecasts very often, at least not in the NY market), with "whoa Nellie" Keith Jackson calling the play-by-play. I think that was the same broadcast when I heard the team referred to as the Pale Hose for the first time.

I actully kept score of the game while watching (using a random Strat-O-Matic scoresheet) and went crazy when Downing completed the comeback. Wish I knew what the heck I did with it...

A few weeks later I attended a 6-2 loss to the Yanks at the Stadium. Unfortunately, I missed Eric Soderholm's homer to dead center off Mike Torrez while being trapped in a long concession line, but I did make it back in time to see Oscar deposit one in the right field seats. Kravec took the loss.

What a fun summer to be a Sox fan. Go get 'em Lerrin LaGrow!!

I was very upset when Downing was traded to the Angels in the offseason and let Veeck know about it in a letter. He wrote me back and gave his reason for the move, but it still didn't take away my disappointment.

Bisco Stu
07-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Oscar's fro.

Zisk's mashers.

First half of the season.

2nd half was too painful for me to recall.

My second season being a Sox fan and it was magical, till the aforementioned painful part.

tacosalbarojas
07-17-2005, 06:53 PM
First off the Sox only wore 'shorts' one time. They then were promptly discarded.

By the way be sure to check out the Eric Soderholm and Chet Lemon interviews here at WSI for more on the 1977 team.

Lip
Speaking of promotions, how about May 13, 1977, Anti-Superstition night. I was only seven; far too young to understand superstitions, but I was there. Bill Veeck was God when it came to unique and offbeat promotions.

tacosalbarojas
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
They did it both in 1976 and 1977. Here's the kicker about the 77 Egg McMuffin game.....the Friday game was a NIGHT GAME AND it was 'anti superstition night' because it was Friday the 13th.

With all that going on (witches placed spells, mirrors were broken etc....) the game ran a little longer sooooo the players got home later sooooo they had to play a Saturday mroning game! I remember Eric telling me he didn't think they took batting practice that morning! LOL

By the way Spencer had eight RBI's against the Twins. It was a Sunday DH. I was there. Jim is the only Sox player to ever have two 8 RBI games in a single season.

LipSorry didn't see your second post here! Fun times, though that's for sure.