PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Sox Article

daveeym
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Have at it.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/andrew_lawrence/07/13/daily.blog/index.html##

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
But once the yuppies claimed Addison and Clark for themselves and sud-sucking and sun soaking became the orders of the day, I went in search of an alternative. The Sox filled all the necessary requirements: Like the Cubs they hadn't won a World Series since the Wilson administration, they were apparently cursed and they sucked. But there were other things that enticed. A logo, straight out of Nintendo Baseball, appealed to me more and (once they went to basic black) so did the colors.

Gee, good to know winning baseball and a focus on the game drive him to learn as a fan.

Cowhead418
07-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Still, I am not foolish enough to think that an afternoon on the South Side could ever eclipse with nine innings at Wrigley, but if the Cubbies are out of town (as they were last week) and if you like baseball, paying a visit to The Cell would not be treason. Four bucks still buys a Polish sausage, and $3.50 will hook up a funnel cake. In case you're sitting at high altitude as I was, I'd recommend grabbing a fistful of napkins before heading back up to your seat.
Cubs fans, though, continue to their noses up at Sox fans, routinely dismissing them as inferior life forms. Two images shape this perception, both of them within months of each other and on the eve of the 2003 All-Star game, which the Sox hosted. The first is of a father and son charging onto the field and throwing haymakers at Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa. The second is of another fan grabbing an umpire around the waist.

Why did he have to say that? That ruined the whole article right there. Because going to a ****hole to see a POS team play losing baseball is soooo much more fun than going to see a winning team. In the second paragraph, he brought up the "holier than thou" attitude of Flubbie fans. He also does not bring up the fact that the guys who attacked the first-base coach were flubbie fans and that Flub fans have had attacks of their own which annoyed me. I'm so happy that we get to hear about the Royals first-base coach attack again.

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Andrew,

It's COMISKEY,not COMISKY.

Either SI.Com has lousy proof readers,or someone
needs to get their facts straight.:angry:

daveeym
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Andrew,

It's COMISKEY,not COMISKY.

Either SI.Com has lousy proof readers,or someone
needs to get their facts straight.:angry: Oh there were a lot of typos and missing words in that article.

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Oh there were a lot of typos and missing words in that article.

Yea there were. Surprised that made it to the website in that form.

ondafarm
07-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Man, this article is lame. I can see why his employment has been marginal.

Palehose Pete
07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I have to say that Comiskey is simply a better place to watch baseball. By that, I mean, TO ACTUALLY SEE THE GAME. I went with some Cub fan friends to Wiggley (hey, you can't always choose your friends) sat under the upper deck. I could never tell where any fly balls were going, I couldn't see the score board and a metal pole blocked most of the pitcher's mound. I was forced to ask people around me what was happening at times and left guessing at others. Even in the dreaded upper deck at Comiskey, a game is very WATCHABLE.

How can anyone ever say that WATCHING a ball game at Wrigley is better than WATCHING a ball game at Comiskey? There are plenty of Cubs fans that argue that Wrigley is a superior place to watch a ball game. I just don't get it. Never have, never will.

I won't even get into describing the public restrooms at Wrigley. Suffice it say, a Port-o-John on 90 degree Saturday afternoon at the Taste of Chicago would probably have smelled better and been more sanitary.

MarySwiss
07-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Oh there were a lot of typos and missing words in that article.

There sure were! But the real crime here is that anyone who read the secondary header about how one man became a Sox fan in a Cubs town--well, at least anyone who didn't know better--would come away with several horribly false impressions.

Among them:
1) that this was written by a Sox fan. It wasn't.
*2) that Chicago is a Cubs town. It's not.
*3) that it is possible to be both a Sox fan and a Cubs fan. It isn't.

* I know that some people are going to disagree with the last two points. I didn't have time to look for the icon, but I DON'T CARE!

And just what constitutes the "Chicago sports constituency" anyway?

But the real dead giveaway appears in a telling phrase in the second-to-last paragraph--"...those of us who came all the way from New York City."

Well, shucks! Thanks for coming. And don't let the door hit you.....

TommyJohn
07-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Why did he have to say that? That ruined the whole article right there. Because going to a ****hole to see a POS team play losing baseball is soooo much more fun than going to see a winning team. In the second paragraph, he brought up the "holier than thou" attitude of Flubbie fans. He also does not bring up the fact that the guys who attacked the first-base coach were flubbie fans and that Flub fans have had attacks of their own which annoyed me. I'm so happy that we get to hear about the Royals first-base coach attack again.

You hear about it because the guy who charged Randy Meyers, the guys who fought the Dodgers bullpen, the morons who trashed Bartman and the ones
who throw garbage all the time on the field after bad calls don't detract from
the overall atmosphere at Wrigley. Or maybe those incidents never took place
at all.

bigdommer
07-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I love writing and I consider myself a decent writer. This guy was awful! He spelled words wrong, he left prepositions out, he jumped all over the map, he started giving the recap at the end of an editorial, and his stories about his loser friends were lame.

I love the White Sox getting props, but not this way. I want to read an article by a respected writer/columnist/anchor that talks about the Sox and fails to mention all of the following:

1) An inevitable 2nd half collapse. There's no way we could win, we haven't won a division title since 2000.

2) Attendance - a Wall Street Journal, John Kruk, and now Sports Illustrated favorite.

3) Our 3rd order pythagorian win/loss record won't hold up. What is this all about? We can't explain why a team is good (except for the fact that they have the best starting pitching in the league, one of the best bullpens, one of the best closers, most stolen bases, power throughout the order) so we have to start using formulas from trig class to explain what our eyes can see?

4) Cubs (pick one): are surging, have two aces, have a potential triple crown winner, might have a good closer, have a center fielder of the future (Pie) hurt in the minors, sell out games, have roof top decks, play day games, have a manager with a toothpick, etc.

5) "Lucky" - Avoid using this term when attempting to write a factual account of a known event, such as the team with the best record in baseball.

If these people want to write about Contreras being an enigma, Hermy not looking as sharp as he was, or El Duque's continuous injuries...that's fine by me. But quit telling me that Garland is not going to win any games in the second half because he has reached his career limit.

Mercy!

Norberto7
07-13-2005, 10:02 PM
"We have an email from Norberto7 and he asks, 'Hawk, is Andrew Lawrence a real Sox fan?'"
:hawk
"N-nno."

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
"Madison Avenue"? Is that where Freddy Guzman and Pat Iguchi live?

FielderJones
07-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Like the Cubs they hadn't won a World Series since the Wilson administration

Actually, the Cubs haven't won a World Series since the Roosevelt administration ... Teddy Roosevelt, that is.

Poor construction, poor editing, factual errors, and garbage about the Flubs; this guy claims to be a Sox fan???

:dtroll:

TomBradley72
07-13-2005, 10:56 PM
You hear about it because the guy who charged Randy Meyers, the guys who fought the Dodgers bullpen, the morons who trashed Bartman and the ones
who throw garbage all the time on the field after bad calls don't detract from
the overall atmosphere at Wrigley. Or maybe those incidents never took place
at all.

And the same wonderful fans who gave Sammy Sosa a STANDING OVATION the night after he was busted for the corked bat.....could not figure that one out for the life of me.

chidonez
07-14-2005, 01:15 AM
"The organ/synthesizer still sounds like it's being played by an epileptic saloonkeeper."

Who you talkin' 'bout!