PDA

View Full Version : Mark was on my plane!!

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I was returning from a business trip in Harrisburg, and had to connect in Detroit today to get home. I caught the 12:30pm NW flight to Chicago. I was in the 5th row, and as I got on, Mark and his wife were in row 2, sitting on the right side of the aisle in 1st class(as facing the pilot). Mark was wearing his trademark shades and had a set of earphones plugged into an IPod/MP3 player. He was looking down; as I walked past him, I tapped his forearm, and told him I thought he pitched great last night. He looked up, raised his glasses, smiled and said simply, "thanks, man".

I sat in my seat (row 5, right behind 1st class), with full view of him the whole flight. I took a quick nap, and we landed, everyone de-planed, etc etc etc. As I was walking through Midway, he was getting stopped by a few people for autographs and pics. I walked down to departures, and was waiting for my ride. He and his wife were at the baggage carousel. I needed to get an utograph, of course....so I walked over, and the only thing I had for him to sign was my book, "Say It Ain't So, Joe!", by Donald Gropman. I walked up to him and before I could say anything, someone pushed a Trib into his face with a pen. Mark looked at him and scribbled....the guy didn't even say thanks. Verbatim, this is what happened:

Me: Mark, I hate to bother you, but can I get an autograph?
MB: You bet....hang on....hey, can you hold this for me?
(He gives me his TEAM BAG to hold while he signed a little kid's hat!!!! He almost never got it back! Big Sox logo with his # on it - and there I stood holding it!)
Me: Sure thing.
MB:(takes the bag and sets it down, looks at the book and smiles, opens the cover and signs his name and #) Here you go, thanks for the help.
Me: Anytime Mark. Great work this season, keep it up. Go get Cleveland.
MB: Plan on it...we all do. Thanks for the support.

As I walked outside to catch my ride, he was there with his wife waiting for their limo. I got in my car, and I told my son MB was standing in the next lane over. My son yelled his name, Mark looked over, waved and said to me "Thanks again". I yelled back, "Anytime".

I got the book as a Fathers Day gift. Next year at SoxFest, they're all signing it.
Mark IS CLASS. :burly

mdep524
07-13-2005, 03:34 PM
That's awesome man! Congrats! :cheers:

cheeses_h_rice
07-13-2005, 03:36 PM
It's a shame how this White Sox team is full of clubhouse cancers and all-around idiots, isn't it?

Great story.

ilsox7
07-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I was returning from a business trip in Harrisburg, and had to connect in Detroit today to get home. I caught the 12:30pm NW flight to Chicago. I was in the 5th row, and as I got on, Mark and his wife were in row 2, sitting on the right side of the aisle in 1st class(as facing the pilot). Mark was wearing his trademark shades and had a set of earphones plugged into an IPod/MP3 player. He was looking down; as I walked past him, I tapped his forearm, and told him I thought he pitched great last night. He looked up, raised his glasses, smiled and said simply, "thanks, man".

I sat in my seat (row 5, right behind 1st class), with full view of him the whole flight. I took a quick nap, and we landed, everyone de-planed, etc etc etc. As I was walking through Midway, he was getting stopped by a few people for autographs and pics. I walked down to departures, and was waiting for my ride. He and his wife were at the baggage carousel. I needed to get an utograph, of course....so I walked over, and the only thing I had for him to sign was my book, "Say It Ain't So, Joe!", by Donald Gropman. I walked up to him and before I could say anything, someone pushed a Trib into his face with a pen. Mark looked at him and scribbled....the guy didn't even say thanks. Verbatim, this is what happened:

(He gives me his TEAM BAG to hold while he signed a little kid's hat!!!! He almost never got it back! Big Sox logo with his # on it - and there I stood holding it!)
MB:(takes the bag and sets it down, looks at the book and smiles, opens the cover and signs his name and #) Here you go, thanks for the help.

As I walked outside to catch my ride, he was there with his wife waiting for their limo. I got in my car, and I told my son MB was standing in the next lane over. My son yelled his name, Mark looked over, waved and said to me "Thanks again". I yelled back, "Anytime".

I got the book as a Fathers Day gift. Next year at SoxFest, they're all signing it.

Funny...especially about him at baggage claim b/c of my following story. I went to the All-Star Game in 1998 in Colorado. On the way back, Scammy and his wife were in the seats in the row behind me. He was quite nice. took pics for us, we took pics of him and his wife for him. But after we landed, he was taken off the plane and put into a car right on the tarmac there. No baggage claim for the steroid-infused rock star.

LVSoxFan
07-13-2005, 03:47 PM
You know, I've met a lot of famous people who turned out to be jerks, or heroes that were less than cool in person. That warms my heart though to see him like that, makes you want to root for 'em even more.

As for the jackass who pushed the Trib in his face--what the hell is wrong with people?

Over By There
07-13-2005, 03:51 PM
I am proud to have him on the Sox. Seems like such a class guy, and a good teammate.

cleanwsox
07-13-2005, 03:51 PM
You know, I've met a lot of famous people who turned out to be jerks, or heroes that were less than cool in person. That warms my heart though to see him like that, makes you want to root for 'em even more.

As for the jackass who pushed the Trib in his face--what the hell is wrong with people?

And why is Mark signing a Tribune anyways.

sox_fan_forever
07-13-2005, 03:54 PM
That's such a cool story!

hsnterprize
07-13-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm really happy for you. It's stuff like this that shows the world the Chicago White Sox are as classy as they get. I'll take 25 "clubhouse cancers" like this over any team any day.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
awsome. the only thing any white sox player said to me IIRC, was ozzie saying "there you go buddy" when he signed my ball at sox fest. the only other time was when i think garland a few years ago at sox fest said something like that when he signed the same ball. Remember when garland "BLEW"? Yeah, that was when he signed my ball.

MsSoxVixen22
07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Awesome story! Congrats on getting the autograph! :worship: Mark seems like a really cool, down to earth type of guy. Alot of other players can take a hint from him. Hearing stories like that make me feel honored to be a Sox fan. Mark is a class act! :supernana:

CHISOXFAN13
07-13-2005, 04:08 PM

Great story. That is certainly a day you won't forget
:D:

buehrle4cy05
07-13-2005, 04:12 PM
This is exactly what we all have heard about Buehrle off the field. It doesn't surprise me that he did it and the way that he did it. Great story!

Dub25
07-13-2005, 04:27 PM

I wonder how is wife feels about him having a fiancee?

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
To respond in some semblance of order:

1. The guy who shoved the Trib in his face...total dick. Not a request, more like a demand.
2. I'm 37 years old...and I felt like I was 9. Hell, when he handed me his bag, I LITERALLY was looking around to see if anyone I knew was there...kind of like, "yeah, I'm Mark's guy" type of thing.
3. You ASK the guy. He's MARK BUEHRLE, but, he's also Mark Buehrle. He pitched last night, and by the looks of it, he was getting ready to jump another plane to meet the team. He's human, and I am ASKING him for his signature. The least I could do was ask, and say please.
4. I'll take that "cancer" anyday. I remember meeting Albert Belle, and he treated me (and others) like garbage.

Actions, in this case, truly do speak louder than words. I will NEVER forget this day. When he waved while I was getting in the car, forget about it. My wife is making fun of me in the background right now, cuz she said I was grinning like a kid. You're DAMN RIGHT I WAS.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-13-2005, 04:31 PM

I stand corrected. His fiancee'.

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM

I bet she's cool with it. All those sports wives are.

Whitesox029
07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
That's incredible...a dream come true. I was at a signing once and of course everyone's got to be nice there but I remember Robin Ventura being especially cool (I was about 8). I've never encountered a player in public before, though I very vaguely remember getting Ozzie's autograph as a player on his way to his car once. He was classy about it too.

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Great story!!

I hope to God Mark Beuhrle retires a member of the Sox.

Not only is he a great pitcher,he's human.He doesn't act
like an all star,that's for sure. :D: :D: :D:

Irishsox1
07-13-2005, 04:46 PM
I can understand having a Chicago White Sox player signing a Shoeless Joe book, but having someone sign a newspaper? What is that person gonna do with an autographed newspaper?...Have their dog pee on it? I, personally don't understand the whole autograph thing. I would rather have a photo with the famous person.

Stroker Ace
07-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Wow! Meeting MB must be really cool. The closest I've ever been to a Sox player was when Big Frank flew past me on I-55 in a red Ferrari.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-13-2005, 05:07 PM
I can understand having a Chicago White Sox player signing a Shoeless Joe book, but having someone sign a newspaper? What is that person gonna do with an autographed newspaper?...Have their dog pee on it? I, personally don't understand the whole autograph thing. I would rather have a photo with the famous person.

I was cursing myself for not having my camera with me, but I don't pack my camera when I go on a business trip...had I not had mechanical problems with my flight in Harrisburg, I never would have gone to Detroit.

bigdommer
07-13-2005, 05:19 PM
That's great! If I could hang out with one guy on the Sox, MB would barely edge out AJ (AJ would be talking some trash I'm sure).

I was at the last A's game (first game at the cell since 2003), and waiting in the terminal next to me for the flight back to Baltimore was none other than...Harold Baines. I said hello, and asked if he could sign my program with a birthday note for my dad. He did, and I sent it back to my father. Harold smiled, but never said a word. I don't think I have ever heard him talk. Quiet man, huge forearms.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Harold smiled, but never said a word. I don't think I have ever heard him talk. Quiet man, huge forearms.

The following is not a photograph, it's a video taped conversation exclusively for WSI with good old #3 Harold Baines!!!

We join our live feed.......

:harold

Cellview22
07-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Harold is a good guy too. He's always smiling and willing to sign autographs.
I wonder if he ever tailgates with Sox fans before the game. :D:

LongLiveFisk
07-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Wow! Meeting MB must be really cool. The closest I've ever been to a Sox player was when Big Frank flew past me on I-55 in a red Ferrari.

LOL...Bo Jackson flew past me (also on I-55) driving what I believe was a black Ferrari Testarossa (sp?). Pretty cool memory! :D:

But so as not to hijack the thread, great story about MB. I'm not surprised though, from what I've heard about him since Day 1. Classy guy!

rmusacch
07-13-2005, 05:37 PM
That's incredible...a dream come true. I was at a signing once and of course everyone's got to be nice there but I remember Robin Ventura being especially cool (I was about 8). I've never encountered a player in public before, though I very vaguely remember getting Ozzie's autograph as a player on his way to his car once. He was classy about it too.

I met Robin when he was playing for the Barons. I was at a Memphis Chicks vs. Barons game in Memphis. He was a nice as could be. He signed his rookie card, the first round draft pick one. I wish I knew where that card was.

AaronsAmigos
07-13-2005, 05:39 PM
cool story

bigdommer
07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
The following is not a photograph, it's a video taped conversation exclusively for WSI with good old #3 Harold Baines!!!

Great footage! LMAO!

buehrle4cy05
07-13-2005, 06:04 PM

:rolling:

jake27
07-13-2005, 06:21 PM
thats a great story. that must have felt real cool holding his team bag. that guy shoving a tribune in his face was not cool at all.

robiwho
07-13-2005, 06:40 PM
That is soooo cool. It's nice to know that Mark really is the great guy we all think he is!

SOXfnNlansing
07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
I wonder how is wife feels about him having a fiancee? What happens in Detroit stays in Detroit:redneck

SOXfnNlansing
07-13-2005, 06:54 PM
What a great story. My only 'brush with Sox fame' was standing in the elevator at Sox Park and JR was in there. He's really short and was on the phone the whole time. Me and my buddy didn't say anything, just got out and said 'that was pretty cool'.

Ron Karkovice
07-13-2005, 07:10 PM
That's an awesome story. I always enjoy hearing Mark's interviews on sports radio... he's a type of guy who flat out deserves the success he has had thus far.

mmmmmbeeer
07-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Me: Go get Cleveland.

Great story man, especially the quoted line above. I mean, if the conversation went as you've described, he instinctually took the focus off of himself and immediately put it on the team. That's awesome.

RichFitztightly
07-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I was at the last A's game (first game at the cell since 2003), and waiting in the terminal next to me for the flight back to Baltimore was none other than...Harold Baines. I said hello, and asked if he could sign my program with a birthday note for my dad. He did, and I sent it back to my father. Harold smiled, but never said a word. I don't think I have ever heard him talk. Quiet man, huge forearms.

I actually did hear him talk. I went down to Spring Training last year and he was signing autographs for the fans there. His conversation with a fan went like this:

Harold: Hey good to see you guys again this year!
Fans: Yeah, you know us we won't miss a year down in the sun.
Harold: You brought the little one this time, I hope he's on vacation from school.
Fans: No we took him out of school for the trip.
Harold: [Says nothing but had a stern look of disappointment.]

Nice guy, very cordial and made sure everybody had everything they wanted signed.

bafiarocks03
07-13-2005, 08:14 PM
OH god i would die!!

JGarlandrules20
07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Cute story. Made my day just reading it! :smile:

Frankfan4life
07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
That was a great story and you did a great job telling it. Thanks for the vicarious thrill.

MikeKreevich
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm not surprised by how gracious Mark was. My neighbor told me a similar story of how down to earth and friendly he was when he and his wife ran into him at a Cardinal's game last fall. We are lucky to have him.

Norberto7
07-13-2005, 10:34 PM
The closest I've ever been to a Sox player was when Big Frank flew past me on I-55 in a red Ferrari.

Was Jose Canseco driving? :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm not surprised by how gracious Mark was. My neighbor told me a similar story of how down to earth and friendly he was when he and his wife ran into him at a Cardinal's game last fall. We are lucky to have him.

What was he doing at a Cardinals game when he could've spent the time bonding with his teammates? What a cancer he is!!!

This is a downright awesome story! It definitely tops my meeting Freddy Garcia at Jewel several weeks ago.

podsednikchick
07-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Very neat story!

mike squires
07-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks for sharing. Great story!!!

Kevin
07-14-2005, 12:42 AM
I've met most of the Sox players at Soxfest, but my only airplane story was my freshman year in high school (4 years ago), I was flying back from Europe (this leg was Atlanta to Orlando) and got back around 5 A.M., at the same time, catching the redeye was Harold Reynolds. I tried to talk to him, but I was so out of it no actual words came out of my mouth. I've seen Hawk at the Orlando Airport before soxfest (We fly in on the same night)

Iguana775
07-14-2005, 06:55 AM

That's pretty awesome!

Jerko
07-14-2005, 09:09 AM
The title of this thread is wrong. YOU were on MARK'S plane!

ChicagoHoosier
07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
I would LOVE to get to meet a player like that, out in public. I haven't seen a Sox player other than at the ballpark on the field since I moved here 11 years ago. Of course, I've never gone to Soxfest, but that will change next year.

Great story! Thanks for sharing and I echo someone else's thought that MB should retire in a White Sox uniform.

nasox
07-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Something like that happened to me, but with Tyson Chandler. A year ago I won courtside seats and so I went to the game early to get autographs. Got em all, but Tyson asked me to hold his practice ball while he signed some autographs, but then he forgot about it. About ten minutes later he picked the ball out of my hand, started to sign it, then paused and said, "Nevermind" and tossed the ball towards the court. Pretty funny stuff.

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Great story man, especially the quoted line above. I mean, if the conversation went as you've described, he instinctually took the focus off of himself and immediately put it on the team. That's awesome.

you're reading too much into it. how do you know that's what he meant?:cool:

alohafri
07-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Mark used to hang out at a watering hole near my home. At the time he was dating one of the waitresses, so he was there a lot.

We met Mark's parents thru Steff and Jim "Zooks"---Mark looks just like his dad. And his parents are really cool and were at one of the tailgates last year. Mark's dad comes to Chicago several times a year when Mark is pitching at USC. Mark's friendliness definitely comes from his parents.

Also, Mr. Aloha ran into Bo Jackson some years ago in our local Home Depot..Aloha was so awe=struck he said something dumb to Bo, but Bo was cool.

I saw Scotty Pippin at a nightclub one night and he was a total jerk.
I also saw Jim McMahon and wife at Kmart and she was really nice. Jim was followed by all the stock boys.

One more thing--AJ P. was thisclose to buying a house next door to a friend of mine--he loved the house but his wife didn't. )-:
--Mrs. Aloha

skobabe8
07-14-2005, 12:01 PM
How were you able to sleep on the plane????? :D:

So.ILSoxFan
07-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Great story, thanks for posting :D:

mccoydp
07-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Good story.

BNLSox
07-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Last year my family won a raffle that allowed four of us to go on the field for batting practice and meet the players. Suprisingly the most unfriendly were Carlos Lee and Magglio.... At the time I didn't think much of it, but now its interesting looking back on it.

Frank and Mark were two of the friendliest. It was the big man's birthday and he stayed and chatted with my dad and I for about 10 minutes!!! An amazing moment.

Also Rod Carew's daughter, Stephanie, worked for the Sox at the time and we got to hang out with her as she was one of our "hosts."

Nice guys, our Sox. Just don't be nice to the opponents!! Lets get this done!

JohnBasedowYoda
07-15-2005, 01:04 AM
i'm just glad there are still people that act civil to each other in this crap-hole of a planet