PDA

View Full Version : A couple of changes that I noticed last night watching the game

ChiSoxRowand
07-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Watching the ASG last night, I noticed a couple of changes. The first change was that they had Joe Buck announce do the pregame introductions instead of the PA announcer. Thank god they didn't do that in 03. The other change was that they had the starters come out of a tunnel instead of the dugout. Someone needs to tell Bud that this isn't football. Did they do any of this in previous all-star games?

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Watching the ASG last night, I noticed a couple of changes. The first change was that they had Joe Buck announce do the pregame introductions instead of the PA announcer. Thank god they didn't do that in 03. The other change was that they had the starters come out of a tunnel instead of the dugout. Someone needs to tell Bud that this isn't football. Did they do any of this in previous all-star games?
Good grief, last year the players had to clamber over the dugout roof at Minute Maid Park to get down to field level. This was much more dignified. Sort of.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why there was no Canadian national anthem.

Orta 4-6-3
07-13-2005, 04:32 PM

I'm pretty sure there was; it was probably done during a commercial break. They played in at the '03 game, which I attended. But when I watched the tape of the broadcast, "Oh, Canada" was nowhere to be found.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure there was; it was probably done during a commercial break. They played in at the '03 game, which I attended. But when I watched the tape of the broadcast, "Oh, Canada" was nowhere to be found.

That's a classless thing to do if you ask me. I think it's important to show respect for other countries being represented.

Orta 4-6-3
07-13-2005, 05:14 PM
That's a classless thing to do if you ask me. I think it's important to show respect for other countries being represented.

I completely agree. But considering it was Fox, it was, sadly, not surprising.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Did anyone catch the Ernie Harwell interview??

Jeanie Zalasko literally blew him off as he talked about
the Tigers teams of the 60's,Al Kaline,etc.She did everything
short of yelling "shut up,you boring old fart".:angry:

Seeing as the game was in Detroit,the least you could do is
listen to someone who spent 40+ years broadcasting baseball.

Not cool.:(:

ilsox7
07-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Saw it and thought it was horrid. Not sure if I blame Jeanie or her producers though. I bet they were in her ear b/c they had to get to a horrific, overproduced, crappy piece about automobiles being like the All-Star Game.

Blueprint1
07-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Saw it and thought it was horrid. Not sure if I blame Jeanie or her producers though. I bet they were in her ear b/c they had to get to a horrific, overproduced, crappy piece about automobiles being like the All-Star Game.

Yeah, I thought it was quite rude when she cut him off like that.

MrRoboto83
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM

I was so pissed about that. I did really like the prerecorded piece of Ernie Harwell, what a legend, this guy has an awesome voice for baseball and he is still sharp.

Fenway
07-13-2005, 06:19 PM

Fox has never shown O Canada

The word is they were under orders from Mr Murdoch himself. Murdoch was fighting Canada for years to let Fox News in.

jake27
07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
why cant the players just run out of the dugout like normal? last night looked bad and the year before did too.

ChiSoxRowand
07-13-2005, 09:55 PM

I'd blame her producers. I'm sure they were yelling in her ear to get to a break or something.

mjharrison72
07-14-2005, 09:38 AM
I'd blame her producers. I'm sure they were yelling in her ear to get to a break or something.

They had to have been yelling in her ear, but stupid them for thinking they could get Ernie Harwell to give them a 10-second soundbite. If she wouldn't have cut him off, he could still be talking.:D:

And on the playing of national anthems of all the countries represented, wouldn't it take well over an hour to play the US, Canada, DR, Korea, Japan, Venezuela, etc. anthems? It's pretty silly to play anything more than the US national anthem if that's where the game is being played.

And did you know people in other countries think we're nationalistic and silly for playing the national anthem before every sporting event?

Alanzo XXXVIII
07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Who cares.... it's Canada.

PatK
07-14-2005, 10:56 AM
That whole thing with Jeannie is a prime example of why women shouldn't be in sports broadcasting. She seemed like she had absolutley no clue what she talked about.

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2005, 11:16 AM
That whole thing with Jeannie is a prime example of why women shouldn't be in sports broadcasting. She seemed like she had absolutley no clue what she talked about.

Uh.................OK.

:rolleyes:

mjharrison72
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
:?:
Like I said, it's not her fault the producers expected a 80-odd (not sure how old Harwell is... EDIT: He's actually 87.) year-old man to give them a quick soundbite when you ask him a question like "What did you think of Al Kaline and those Tiger teams of the '60s?"

*****, and do us all a favor and check the misplaced chauvanism at the door.

MarySwiss
07-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Ya know what? I was gonna take the high road here, but after hoisting a brew or two, and the more I thought about it....

PatK, I didn't see that particular incident, but from what I have read and heard, it was not nice. She was apparently less than tactful, and I have no problem with people who called her on it. Whether it was or was not her fault, she's the on-air personality, so she gets the bad along with the good. Comes with the gig.

However, I DO have a problem with people who extrapolate this incident as proof that "women shouldn't be in sports broadcasting." Unless they add that (fill-in-the-blank-with-any-one-of-many) male sportscasters are proof that "men shouldn't be in sports broadcasting"?

NOTE: I used teal here, but I'm not sure I should have/needed to.

batmanZoSo
07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I thought the tunnel thing was stupid. Save that fancy schmancy stuff for football and basketball. Baseball is pure and simple, keep it that way, make em trot out of the dugout and tip their caps.