PDA

View Full Version : Shy Sox tailgaiters

veeter
07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
I went to Sunday's game and tailgaited. Starting at about 10:30, the beer and bloody marys were flowing in our area. The groups on either side of me were quiet. Despite my offering of egg sandwiches and drinks, most everyone declined. One guy finally took a drink. Having gone to a Bear's game last fall, I have to say Sox tailgaiters are amateurs. Maybe I was in the wrong section.

PatK
07-13-2005, 11:27 AM
You were around lightweights.

I've seen some incredible tailgaiting going on at The Cell. We're talking 3 course meals being made.

Sxy Mofo
07-13-2005, 11:29 AM
I went to Sunday's game and tailgaited. Starting at about 10:30, the beer and bloody marys were flowing in our area. The groups on either side of me were quiet. Despite my offering of egg sandwiches and drinks, most everyone declined. One guy finally took a drink. Having gone to a Bear's game last fall, I have to say Sox tailgaiters are amateurs. Maybe I was in the wrong section.

In my experience, football is just more of a tailgaiting type of sport. I think it stems from the wanting to make the football game a whole day affair (because there's only 8 of them a year) whereas in baseball it's not as much of a whole-day thing for most people, because there's so many games a year.

TDog
07-13-2005, 11:36 AM
If you want to see professional baseball tailgaiting, go to Milwaukee. In 2000 when I was working in the area, I gave one of the people working under me the the day off to see the Brewers' opener, which I went to in the afternoon. This guy got to the ballpark in the morning and didn't bother to go inside County Stadium until the third inning. I was a little upset, but it was explained to me that it wasn't about the baseball.

Sad
07-13-2005, 11:38 AM

do you have to be loud and drunk to have a good time? :?:

veeter
07-13-2005, 11:44 AM
do you have to be loud and drunk to have a good time? :?: Well I didn't say that. I just went into the game so pumped that I envisioned a lot of bonding. We weren't being obnoxious and drunk, just friendly. I guess I should realize too, that there are way more kids at baseball games. We respected everyone but I figured more people would be letting loose.

dcb33
07-13-2005, 11:47 AM
I wish they'd reserve an area in the lots exclusively for tailgaters because as it is now, whenever my friends and I go we usually get stuck by ourselves with no one around us. If the Sox pooled all of the taigaters together into one concentrated area, it would create an awesome pregame atmosphere/scene without having to "Wrigleyfy" the area around the Cell by building more bars and restaurants.

rwcescato
07-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Well I didn't say that. I just went into the game so pumped that I envisioned a lot of bonding. We weren't being obnoxious and drunk, just friendly. I guess I should realize too, that there are way more kids at baseball games. We respected everyone but I figured more people would be letting loose.

Everytime I tailgate we have a good time. Some tunes, beer, and food go a long way. We are there around 5 for night games and around 10 for day games.
Ususally everyone around us is having a good time. It was a Sunday so I guess that could have been it.
Rich

Sad
07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Well I didn't say that. I just went into the game so pumped that I envisioned a lot of bonding. We weren't being obnoxious and drunk, just friendly. I guess I should realize too, that there are way more kids at baseball games. We respected everyone but I figured more people would be letting loose.

yeah... I guess some people are more socially inclined than others...
I'm always having my beers but tend to lay low myself...

LVSoxFan
07-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Whatever lot it is that's immediately on the West side of the train tracks--that seemed like a total tailgate-a-palooza (was there for first time during Cubs series).

BiggWilli
07-13-2005, 11:57 AM

:D:

rdwj
07-13-2005, 01:53 PM

No, sniffing some glue and staring at your hand works too.

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
In my experience, football is just more of a tailgaiting type of sport. I think it stems from the wanting to make the football game a whole day affair (because there's only 8 of them a year) whereas in baseball it's not as much of a whole-day thing for most people, because there's so many games a year.Parking lots for football games open a lot earlier. In fact, I think some people come down the night before in campers. But when the lot only opens 2 hr before game time, that doesn't leave as much time for tailgating. It should be leisurely. If I have to rush to cook, eat and put everything away before the game starts it's not worth it.

Steakpita
07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I wish they'd reserve an area in the lots exclusively for tailgaters because as it is now, whenever my friends and I go we usually get stuck by ourselves with no one around us. If the Sox pooled all of the taigaters together into one concentrated area, it would create an awesome pregame atmosphere/scene without having to "Wrigleyfy" the area around the Cell by building more bars and restaurants.

Great idea. Someone with some pull want to email Brooks? (e.g. not me):smile:

veeter
07-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Parking lots for football games open a lot earlier. In fact, I think some people come down the night before in campers. But when the lot only opens 2 hr before game time, that doesn't leave as much time for tailgating. It should be leisurely. If I have to rush to cook, eat and put everything away before the game starts it's not worth it. Sunday was a 2:00pm game and we got in at about 10:40am. We were in lot C. We had plenty of time.

skobabe8
07-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Sunday was a 2:00pm game and we got in at about 10:40am. We were in lot C. We had plenty of time.

You cant go to a baseball game and expect the tailgating to be a similar experience to a Bears game. Most of the times when my friends and I go, its just to drink some beers and play bean bags. Once in a while for a big game we'll cook out. Its always been fun for me.

Unregistered
07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah... I guess some people are more socially inclined than others...
I'm always having my beers but tend to lay low myself...
So I'm guessing that's where your name comes from:

"Hey, look at that guy - He looks kinda depressed just sitting there by himself, drinking..."
"Yeah, that's just Sad." :D:

pdimas
07-13-2005, 03:08 PM
We've tailgated for about 75% of the games in June and this month and are always surrounded by good people. You can find us in lot B just to the left of the entrance on the grass. We have ourselves a few brats, burgers, the occasional mexican food and plenty of ice cold beverages. We've met people who bring vodka lemonade, vodka filled watermelon, and even bean bag toss games. Granted its not on par with the Bears (can't beat those 8:00 am tailgating experiences after a night of boozing until 5 am) but its been a blast. Even more so knowing that cubbies fans can never experience it.

Mendoza Line
07-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Really?? Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

RichFitztightly
07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
vodka filled watermelon,

How does that work?

VeeckAsInWreck
07-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Whatever lot it is that's immediately on the West side of the train tracks--that seemed like a total tailgate-a-palooza (was there for first time during Cubs series).

Yeah that was Lot G. I got there early so I could get the earlybird rate and I had to park my car in front of a picnic table full of Cubs fans, never more did I want to press on the gas a little more. :tongue:

I haven't tailgated but I would like to soon, perhaps I'll wear a WSI shirt so if any of you guys spot me, we could talk and drink a cold one. (beer or pop)

ThatGuyOnTheL
07-13-2005, 10:46 PM
How does that work?

Never tried it, but these folks have:

http://www.miss-charming.com/bartender/watermelon.html

gosox3072
07-13-2005, 11:24 PM

Thats an awesome idea! Email brooks about this.

The Racehorse
07-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Really?? Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

lol ... Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines...

Kuzman
07-14-2005, 07:28 AM
I usually have a good 1.5lb porter house on my grill with some shrimps and portabella mushrooms grillin as well... mmmmm

People usually walk by just staring at the steaks. haha

Sad
07-14-2005, 08:10 AM
So I'm guessing that's where your name comes from:

"Hey, look at that guy - He looks kinda depressed just sitting there by himself, drinking..."
"Yeah, that's just Sad." :D:

heh... look at that mope with the pile of empties at his feet...

no, actually it's a shortened version of my last name a friend gave me way back in the 6th grade & it stuck...

I'm actually happy :smile:

SoxFanTillDeath
07-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I usually have a good 1.5lb porter house on my grill with some shrimps and portabella mushrooms grillin as well... mmmmm

People usually walk by just staring at the steaks. haha

Yeah, I went on Sat. and was grilling the whole time. I grilled enough chicken and steak for around 75 sandwiches, so I was pretty busy grilling, and everyone who walked past was staring at our "feast" of food (we had enough food for 50 people, and there were 23 of us there). My good friend's dad, Dean Jaramillo, is one of the foremost chefs in Chicago, and he helped me put together the food for the tailgate. It was amazing! I tried to offer the food to everyone around me, but no one wanted anything.

It was my first time tailgating, and I was really expecting a lot more Sox love...everyone I tried to talk to seemed more interested in their glue than an actual conversation. I eventually gave up and stuck to my grilling and hanging with my friends.

I did see a couple of guys get busted by Sox parking security for drinking underage...I don't know what was funnier: the kid who "forgot his ID" or watching parking security act all tough and macho!

Has anyone ever mentioned having an official WSI tailgate party? We ought to do that for a game this year. (or maybe I am way late on this idea...)

veeter
07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
That's exactly why I started this thread. People didn't want to talk or bond. It was weird. I couldn't give stuff away either. The WSI tailgate party is a great idea. Count me in.

Realist
07-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Holy crap that's funny! :D:

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 03:12 PM
If you want to see professional baseball tailgaiting, go to Milwaukee. In 2000 when I was working in the area, I gave one of the people working under me the the day off to see the Brewers' opener, which I went to in the afternoon. This guy got to the ballpark in the morning and didn't bother to go inside County Stadium until the third inning. I was a little upset, but it was explained to me that it wasn't about the baseball.

If it weren't for Packer fans redirecting their energy to a different parking lot, the Brewers would probably draw about 10,000 a game.

MsSoxVixen22
07-14-2005, 03:25 PM
OK, I'm sure I'll get ragged on for this but I've never been tailgating at a Sox game. I've always wanted to though. I guess it's because alot of my friends aren't Sox fans. :(: I really wanna tailgate it looks like so much fun! :bandance: :bandance:

doublem23
07-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Never tried it, but these folks have:

http://www.miss-charming.com/bartender/watermelon.html

Oh, that is good summerime eatin'...

Makes me want to pick up a watermelon and fifth of vodka on the way home from work tonight. :tongue:

Unregistered
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
heh... look at that mope with the pile of empties at his feet...

no, actually it's a shortened version of my last name a friend gave me way back in the 6th grade & it stuck...

I'm actually happy :smile:Good to know - I never really thought any of your posts were fitting of the moniker you chose. :smile:

We have enough of that around here, anyway. :cool:

paciorek1983
07-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Thats an awesome idea! Email brooks about this.

Brooks knows, since last year:wink:

batmanZoSo
07-14-2005, 04:37 PM

It helps.

steff
07-14-2005, 04:43 PM
It helps.

LOL :D:

I dunno about you guys.. but we always have a big crowd when we tailgate. We don't do it for every game.. but at least 4 or 5 times a year we have a group of 20+ people in lot E..

Mohoney
07-14-2005, 06:09 PM
If you get there really early, like around 3:00 for a 6:05 start or 11:00 for a 2:05 start, you can see some vans full of tailgaters lining up either by Gate 2 in E lot or right on the west side of the train tracks in the same area. I just tell the parking lot guy that we're tailgating and he lets me park by the other tailgaters.

The parking lot crew at the Cell is great. As long as I get there really early, before things get hectic, they always help me out with little things like this.

batmanZoSo
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
LOL :D:

I dunno about you guys.. but we always have a big crowd when we tailgate. We don't do it for every game.. but at least 4 or 5 times a year we have a group of 20+ people in lot E..

Isn't it a pain to lug all that food and grill stuff to the park, set it up, cook it and eat in time for the game to start? I always thought that would be a headache I'd just as soon avoid. Unless of course someone else is doing the cooking. Otherwise, I've tailgated a few times, but with maybe 4 or 5 people I was with and occasional walkers by who would stop for a beer or two.

Mohoney
07-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Isn't it a pain to lug all that food and grill stuff to the park, set it up, cook it and eat in time for the game to start? I always thought that would be a headache I'd just as soon avoid. Unless of course someone else is doing the cooking. Otherwise, I've tailgated a few times, but with maybe 4 or 5 people I was with and occasional walkers by who would stop for a beer or two.

I have a small grill that runs on propane that makes the whole process go MUCH quicker.

I can see how charcoal could be a big-time hassle, but with propane, small items like burgers, bratwurst, and Italian sausage are done in about 20 minutes, leaving plenty of time to eat and then pack everything away.

steff
07-15-2005, 05:11 AM

Not at all. Usually we do it on weekend games (other than opening day) and everyone usually pitches in and helps. Group effort definitely makes it better.

CaptainBallz
07-15-2005, 11:11 AM

We actually got to the the lot around 4 for a 6:05-er. We had a little trouble lightin the coals (not my fault), but it was plenty of time to get the cheddar brats-a-squirtin and get the buzz goin. We ran into Cory McPherrin, he was nice enough, but there weren't many people around us. We missed the first inning because the van battery died (oops), but we got in right as Contreras decided to give up a six run second to the Diamondbacks. The moral of the story is, no, it wasn't that big of a pain. :gulp: