PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Old Stance

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I recently watched a tape of a Sox game from the 1992 season, and I was struck by how different Frank's stance was then. Watching his stride in the batter's box, it looked almost as though he "ran" towards the ball as the pitch approached. IIRC, he stopped doing this around 1993-94. Is there a reason why? Please note: this has nothing to do with his more open stance, which he has used since 2000.

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Could it be a matter of differing coaching styles between Hriniak (then) and Walker (now)? Just a thought.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Could it be a matter of differing coaching styles between Hriniak (then) and Walker (now)? Just a thought.

I'm not sure about that. Frank made the adjustment long before Walker was named hitting instructor. In fact, Walt was still around when he made the change. I don't know. I just think it's interesting whenever Frank tinkers with his batting stance.

veeter
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
No matter what Frank's stance is, whenever he makes good contact his back foot is off the ground and he's posted on his front foot. The ball always seems to end up flat on one side.

gobears1987
07-13-2005, 12:17 PM
No matter what Frank's stance is, whenever he makes good contact his back foot is off the ground and he's posted on his front foot. The ball always seems to end up flat on one side.
The ball also always ends up leaving the park.

Baby Fisk
07-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure about that. Frank made the adjustment long before Walker was named hitting instructor. In fact, Walt was still around when he made the change. I don't know. I just think it's interesting whenever Frank tinkers with his batting stance.
Good hitters make adjustments over the course of a career. Frank's prolly made small adjustments year-by-year, so that his stance of 2005 looks dramatically different from 10 years ago, but the evolution has occurred over small stages. His injuries would have played a part as well. Did he sustain any injury in 93/94?

voodoochile
07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't know exactly what you are talking about. I haven't seen the footage you are referring to, but if I had to guess, it might be that Frank started getting more fastballs and less off-speed pitch after a few years when teams got sick of watching him launch changeups deep into the night. That in turn would force him to stay back more - especially against MLB pitchers who throw much harder than college pitchers (duh).

Frank's eye and bat speed were so good when he was young that he may have actually gotten in the habit of a bigger stride toward the mound, but as teams adjusted to him, he adjusted too - staying back and waiting for the pitch to get to him instead of going and getting it as he had earlier in his career.

Not surprising that 1993 and especially 1994 are when he really came into his own too...

ondafarm
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
During the Charlie Lau batting coach era, the White Sox were considered vulnerable to changing speeds. Frank must have seen more change-ups and sliders then. I think he changed his stance to adjust more to sliders, which I recall he used to mash into right (often over the wall) with consistency. In that era, pitching inside frequently earned you a warning and a fine. Pitching insdie now is all in vogue so I think Frank has learnt to adjust to the new pitching style. Frank has always shown more versatility in his stance and approach than most hitters.

BiggWilli
07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I remeber when he played against the a's he changed batting position 3 times.

wsbaseball9
07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I remeber when he played against the a's he changed batting position 3 times.

what are u talking about?

BiggWilli
07-13-2005, 01:08 PM
He shifted his weight back and forth sorry im new to baseball is that not stance?

wsbaseball9
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM
He shifted his weight back and forth sorry im new to baseball is that not stance?

?
thats what you do during a swing?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Frank normally shifts his weight several times during his swing. That's one of the reasons why he's been as successful as he has. The style that Walt Hriniak teaches is difficult to learn, but those who put in the time to work on it usually become good hitters.

mealfred13
07-13-2005, 01:46 PM

In any event, Thomas was working with Hriniak even after Walker became the hitting coach, because he had a good relationship with him from years past. I'm not even sure if Thomas gets any help from Walker now, not that he needs it.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
In any event, Thomas was working with Hriniak even after Walker became the hitting coach, because he had a good relationship with him from years past. I'm not even sure if Thomas gets any help from Walker now, not that he needs it.

He doesn't. According to Walker, the only time he says anything to Frank about hitting is if he needs to make a small adjustment. Beyond that, he trusts Frank to do what he has to do in order to be productive.

socko82
07-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I remember reading an article where Frank said early in the 2000 season he was hitting for a decent average but was not generating the home runs he thought he was capable of. He was watching a Rockies game in the clubhouse one afternoon and took note of Andres Gallaraga's stance. He tried it that afternoon in BP and carried over into the game and ended up hitting 43 HR's that season.

Deadguy
07-14-2005, 01:42 AM
I remember reading an article where Frank said early in the 2000 season he was hitting for a decent average but was not generating the home runs he thought he was capable of. He was watching a Rockies game in the clubhouse one afternoon and took note of Andres Gallaraga's stance. He tried it that afternoon in BP and carried over into the game and ended up hitting 43 HR's that season.

I remember this happened in late May, and Frank led off the game with a homerun (just his 8th of the season).

What's puzzling is why he stopped doing it as soon as the 2001 season started. I never did understand why he abandonded that stance, after it almost won him an MVP.

RKMeibalane
07-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I remember this happened in late May, and Frank led off the game with a homerun (just his 8th of the season).

What's puzzling is why he stopped doing it as soon as the 2001 season started. I never did understand why he abandonded that stance, after it almost won him an MVP.

Teams started pitching him outside, and he couldn't reach those pitches with that stance.